• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Restricting Helldivers 2 Purchases in Countries Without PSN

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They've also opened up blanket refunds for the game for anyone whose played more than their 2 hour limitation.

Full list of countries where the game can no longer be bought under the quotes:

177 countries:

Changed PurchaseRestrictedCountries

Added Afghanistan
Added Antigua and Barbuda
Added Anguilla
Added Albania
Added Armenia
Added Netherlands Antilles
Added Angola
Added Antarctica
Added American Samoa
Added Aruba
Added Åland Islands
Added Azerbaijan
Added Bosnia and Herzegovina
Added Barbados
Added Bangladesh
Added Burkina Faso
Added Burundi
Added Benin
Added Saint Barthélemy
Added Bermuda
Added Brunei Darussalam
Added Bonaire/Sint Eustatius/Saba
Added Bahamas
Added Bhutan
Added Bouvet Island
Added Botswana
Added Belarus
Added Belize
Added Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Added Democratic Republic of the Congo
Added Central African Republic
Added Congo
Added Côte d'Ivoire
Added Cook Islands
Added Cameroon
Added Cuba
Added Cabo Verde
Added Curaçao
Added Christmas Island
Added Djibouti
Added Dominica
Added Dominican Republic
Added Algeria
Added Egypt
Added Western Sahara
Added Eritrea
Added Ethiopia
Added Fiji
Added Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
Added Federated States of Micronesia
Added Faroe Islands
Added Unknown country code: FX
Added Gabon
Added Grenada
Added Georgia
Added French Guiana
Added Guernsey
Added Ghana
Added Gibraltar
Added Greenland
Added Gambia
Added Guinea
Added Guadeloupe
Added Equatorial Guinea
Added South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Added Guam
Added Guinea-Bissau
Added Guyana
Added Heard Island and McDonald Islands
Added Haiti
Added Isle of Man
Added British Indian Ocean Territory
Added Iraq
Added Islamic Republic of Iran
Added Jersey
Added Jamaica
Added Jordan
Added Kenya
Added Kyrgyzstan
Added Cambodia
Added Kiribati
Added Comoros
Added Saint Kitts and Nevis
Added Democratic People's Republic of Korea
Added Cayman Islands
Added Kazakhstan
Added Lao People's Democratic Republic
Added Saint Lucia
Added Sri Lanka
Added Liberia
Added Lesotho
Added Libya
Added Morocco
Added Monaco
Added Republic of Moldova
Added Montenegro
Added Saint Martin
Added Madagascar
Added Marshall Islands
Added North Macedonia
Added Mali
Added Myanmar
Added Mongolia
Added Macao
Added Northern Mariana Islands
Added Martinique
Added Mauritania
Added Montserrat
Added Mauritius
Added Maldives
Added Malawi
Added Mozambique
Added Namibia
Added New Caledonia
Added Niger
Added Norfolk Island
Added Nigeria
Added Nepal
Added Nauru
Added Niue
Added French Polynesia
Added Papua New Guinea
Added Philippines
Added Pakistan
Added Saint Pierre and Miquelon
Added Pitcairn
Added Puerto Rico
Added State of Palestine
Added Palau
Added Réunion
Added Serbia
Added Rwanda
Added Solomon Islands
Added Seychelles
Added Sudan
Added Saint Helena/Ascension/Tristan da Cunha
Added Svalbard and Jan Mayen
Added Sierra Leone
Added San Marino
Added Senegal
Added Somalia
Added Suriname
Added South Sudan
Added Sao Tome and Principe
Added Sint Maarten (Dutch part)
Added Syrian Arab Republic
Added Eswatini
Added Turks and Caicos Islands
Added Chad
Added French Southern Territories
Added Togo
Added Tajikistan
Added Tokelau
Added Timor-Leste
Added Turkmenistan
Added Tunisia
Added Tonga
Added Trinidad and Tobago
Added Tuvalu
Added United Republic of Tanzania
Added Uganda
Added United States Minor Outlying Islands
Added Uzbekistan
Added Holy See
Added Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Added Venezuela
Added British Virgin Islands
Added U.S. Virgin Islands
Added Viet Nam
Added Vanuatu
Added Wallis and Futuna
Added Samoa
Added Unknown country code: XD
Added Yemen
Added Mayotte
Added Zambia
Added Zimbabwe

Last edited:

feynoob

Prime Barclay performance from Sony.
National Popcorn Day GIF by Angry Birds

GHG

How to ruin a good thing 101.

I don't even care about this game because it's not my thing, but everything about this since requiring a PSN account has been an absolute clown show.

It was working great before and everyone was happy, so why change it?

I will reiterate again, games on Steam should never require an additional login. They deserve all the shit getting thrown their way and long may it continue until they reverse course.

GHG

Read the negative reviews it isn't about account registration but about it being a cashgrab DLC sold as a full game. Just wait for the next CoD release.

People have also left negative reviews because of the additional login. Those types of reviews also exist on the diablo 4 store page, and they also exist on pages for any games (Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, etc) that require an additional 3rd party login/launcher.

The big difference here is that the login requirement has been added retroactively, so we are seeing a direct response to that in real time. The same thing would and has happened for any other game that has pulled this bullshit.

Fabieter

Why will they have to pull out of steam?

Because people are allowed to leave negative reviews due to the additional stacked login that has no benefit to the consumer?

As far as iam concerned give me anything drm free because accounts should never be mandatory. And I don't mean additional stacked login, I mean at all.

I can't play some of those ms sp games without an account and no one fucking cares about those.

Iam locked out of my league of legends accounts not willingly installing the most shitty anti cheat system on the entire platform and no one is doing a fuss about it.

If you want to make a fuss about, its really great but be fucking consistent.

Larxia

Have a super succesfull game praised by everyone playing it
-> Ruin and mess up everything with a dumb decision.

It's impressive how easily they ruined their success here lol.

I will reiterate again, games on Steam should never require an additional login.
People really underestimate this, seriously. It's so annoying AND often problematic to have to deal with external accounts. Just two days ago I wanted to play some RDR2 again and I couldn't log in on my rockstar account and I had to request a password change etc etc, it took about 10 minutes, okay it's not the end of the world, but it's just tedious and without this the game would have started right away.

There's always some annoyance at some point when having to use external launcher / logins. Service not working, having to remember all your infos for dozens of accounts, potential server closing etc...

When a game only use steam and nothing else, everything is such a breeze in comparison.

Three

People have also left negative reviews because of the additional login. Those types of reviews also exist on the diablo 4 store page, and they also exist on pages for any games (Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, etc) that require an additional 3rd party login/launcher.

The big difference here is that the login requirement has been added retroactively, so we are seeing a direct response to that in real time. The same thing would and has happened for any other game that has pulled this bullshit.
No doubt there might be a few people complaining but you're trying to suggest that the mostly negative is due to it requiring an additional account when it's not. Look at warframe

Very positive, additional account required

Look at Sea of Thieves
Very positive, additional account required.

To suggest CoDs poor reception is due to the additional account requirement is simply not true. Like I said just wait for people to forget about additional account requirements when the next CoD rolls out.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Pretty much.

If the game had launched with it, this wouldn't be an issue at this point at all. Some people would have done their initial whining during the launch week then proceeded to have continued playing the game.

clarky

Gold Member
Just watch when the new CoD hits steam and nobody gives a shit about the Activison account requirement again.
Thing is the Activision account linking enables cross save and cross progression across all my systems.

Helldivers does absolutely nothing as far as im aware. If it brought those benefits and was entirely optional for those people who didn't want it or are unable the access PSN then i don't think there would be and issue.

Personally I couldn't give 2 fucks but i understand why a hell of a lot do. Its retardation of the highest order from Sony.

Last edited:

Holammer

At a glance? The Baltic states (Estonia, Lithuania & Latvia) are not included on the list and they don't have PSN, the reason for that is simple. EU *WILL* have their ass if they do.
So Sony are probably speed running a registration solution and/or hope people don't notice.
Are there any other EU countries without PSN that are not on the list?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Why will they have to pull out of steam?

Because people are allowed to leave negative reviews due to the additional stacked login that has no benefit to the consumer?
Also those people are forgetting a few things:

- The service was unavailable and deactivated
- You could buy and play the game just fine in countries where PSN is not present
- Official TOS on Sony website where changed after the patch, before that it was stated no PSN account was needed
- Its a dick move in itself

Comparing it to something like Sea of Thieves or COD is irrelevant in my opinion since the service asking you to log in will work on day one. You will therefore never access the game without logging in, unlike this situation with Helldivers II. Sony should have just made it optional with a small reward and called it a day, now it's blown out of proportion.

Anyway another big W for Valve.

Topher

Gold Member
As far as iam concerned give me anything drm free because accounts should never be mandatory. And I don't mean additional stacked login, I mean at all.

I can't play some of those ms sp games without an account and no one fucking cares about those.

Iam locked out of my league of legends accounts not willingly installing the most shitty anti cheat system on the entire platform and no one is doing a fuss about it.

If you want to make a fuss about, its really great but be fucking consistent.

So folks can't complain about this shit happening with games they care about until they complain about it with games they don't care about?

That's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom