• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

26 Week Worldly Cooking Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbarron

Hi everybody!

I'd like to step up my cooking game and if you would too this thread is for you. I'm by no means a professional and don't even have a fully stocked kitchen but I do enjoy cooking and would like to do some new things in the kitchen. I wanted to do a 52 recipes in 52 weeks type challenge but then I'd have to wait 6 months. Being the impatient person I am I decided to go for a condensed version. Maybe if this takes off we can do a full 52 in 2015.

On to the challenge itself: The challenge is to do 26 recipes in the last 26 weeks of the year. It's always fun exploring the cuisine of different cultures and I'd like to keep a weekly theme so I decided to do a new country every week starting July 1st. I did countries with national holidays in those weeks. You can choose any country listed in the week we are currently doing and in week 16 do anything you want. I apologize if any country is missing, in the wrong spot or any other inaccuracy. Feel free to correct me in the form of replying or preferably by PM. I'll edit the OP as soon as I can.

I want this to be an inclusive challenge meant more to actually help us grow as people and less getting in the way of our everyday lives. The recipes can be anything from the countries listed; breakfast, lunch, dinner, appetizer, entree, dessert, drink, etc. On the other hand to keep this thread engaging and fun I'd ask everyone to post pictures and recipes if possible.

WEEK 1:
Burundi
Canada
Rwanda
Somalia
United States
Cape Verde
Venezuela
Cayman Islands
Solomon Islands

WEEK 2:
Palau
Bahamas
Mongolia
São Tomé and Príncipe
Montenegro
New Caledonia
France
Wallis and Futuna
St. Martin
St. Pierre and Miquelon

WEEK 3:
Iraq
Colombia
Belgium

WEEK 4:
Egypt
Liberia
Peru

WEEK 5:
Morocco
Vanuatu
Benin
Switzerland
Macedonia
Cook Islands

WEEK 6:
Bolivia
Jamaica
Côte d'Ivoire
Singapore
Ecuador
Chad

WEEK 7:
Congo
Korea (South)
Liechtenstein
Gabon
Indonesia

WEEK 8:
Afghanistan
Hungary
Ukraine
Uruguay

WEEK 9:
Moldova
Turks and Caicos Islands
Kyrgyzstan
Malaysia
Trinidad and Tobago
Libya
Slovakia
Uzbekistan

WEEK 10:
Vietnam
Qatar
San Marino
Swaziland
Brazil
Andorra

WEEK 11:
Korea (North)
Tajikistan
Gibraltar
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Guatemala
Honduras
Nicaragua

WEEK 12:
Mexico
Papua New Guinea
Chile
St. Kitts and Nevis
Armenia
Belize
Malta
Mali

WEEK 13:
Saudi Arabia
Guinea-Bissau

WEEK 14:
Botswana
China, People's Rep. of
Cyprus
Hong Kong
Macau
Nigeria
Tuvalu
Guinea
Germany
Lesotho

WEEK 15:
Croatia
Uganda
Taiwan
Equatorial Guinea
Spain
Fiji

WEEK 16:
Free space (Choose any country)

WEEK 17:
Zambia
Austria
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Turkmenistan

WEEK 18:
Czech Rep.
Turkey
Algeria
Antigua and Barbuda
Dominica
Panama

WEEK 19:
Cambodia

WEEK 20:
Angola

WEEK 21:
Latvia
Oman
Niger
Monaco
Lebanon

WEEK 22:
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Suriname
Albania
East Timor
Mauritania
Barbados
Central African Republic
Romania

WEEK 23:
Laos
United Arab Emirates
Thailand
Finland

WEEK 24:
Burkina Faso
Kenya

WEEK 25:
Bahrain
Kazakhstan
Bhutan

WEEK 26:
Japan
By the end of this I hope to be an expert in Japanese Cuisine as well as many others.

Sorry this only leaves 12 days for signups if you want to get in by week 1 and do the full 26 but even if you're catching this thread half way through and just want to share one or two recipes you tried out that's perfectly acceptable and still an accomplishment you should be proud of.

PARTICIPANTS:
zbarron
DJ_Lae

zbarron

WEEK 0:
I'll use this for post reservation/bumping/example of formatting.

It's Mozambique's Independence day. For today I did Peri Peri chicken and Peri Peri shrimp with a baked sweet potato.
20140625_172918rrsju.jpg

Recipe:
Peri Peri Sauce:
1 cup olive oil
2Tbsp Parsley
1/4tsp salt
2 cloves garlic
ground black pepper to taste
6Tbsp lemon juice
2 hot red peppers (seeded if you want to reduce the heat)
1tsp tomato paste for binding and color

Chicken breast:
1 live chicken
1 knife

Add all of the sauce ingredients together and cooked in on low in a sauce pan for 5 minutes then blended till consistent. Refridgerate until needed. Marinate the protein in the sauce. Grill at 10 and 2 for good grill marks.

DJ_Lae

I'm in. I've always wanted to branch out a bit as I generally just cook North American comfort food with the odd common variation.

My ethnic cooking basically consists of Thai, Indian, and some Japanese. I'd love to try something different and every year always mean to add a new recipe and make something I've never had before.

Now maybe I'll be shamed into doing just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom