• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Restricting Helldivers 2 Purchases in Countries Without PSN

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
UN2DE4b.png

rofif

Banned
Sony: We are going to sell this game worldwide on PC and then force people to login to PSN to play the game, even in countries where PSN doesn't exist.

Steam:

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
It’s not steam setting this up. It’s probably Sony.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
As someone said somewhere else. Do we really know if it’s not Valve/steam itself who delisted the game for now, because of the refund requests?

I think they are waiting for more information from Sony/Arrowhead before it will be up again. Sony needs to clarify it tomorrow, or some official statement that those countries won’t need any login for now. They should just continue to expand PSN logins for more countries.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Sony: We are going to sell this game worldwide on PC and then force people to login to PSN to play the game, even in countries where PSN doesn't exist.

Steam:

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
Well, what did PC-gamers expect?

This is their current strategy, they want people within their eco-system, not to become an open platform.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Yep. Valve lawyers probably looked into the situation and realized they could be held liable for selling a non-fuctional product and pushed for refunds. People are underestimating how aggressive the EU can be with this.
lol no way it’s valve doing the refunds. How could they know any of that.
It’s Sony. Only they know countries and registrations limits. Valve couldn’t give a fuck.

rofif

Banned
michael douglas greed GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

The funniest thing is 20 years ago that was the case with XBL - you couldn’t make an account if you lived in Poland so everyone had an account set to other country. Microsoft knew perfectly about it but didn’t care. My guess is Sony would have been perfectly fine with people making different PSN accounts if their country is not supported, but Steam said nope. Looks to me like some high-level trolling or just making sure the restrictions on Steam mirror these on PSN.
Yeah I had uk account which sucked and I had to abandon it when Poland was introduced. The whole country selection when registering is nonsense.

And wtf don’t allow to change country. If you ever move, your psn will be fucked.
Digital gaming sucks ass… well games can be region locked on disks too. Probably last time on ps3 tho

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Big, fat capital "L" for Sony.

Big, fat capital "W" for Steam.

And people wonder why we stick to Steam 90% of the time. You can hate them, but they don't try to fuck you all the time.
What I don't get is why would anyone hate Steam lol, it's literally just sitting there doing nothing and when it does, it's something kinda good or amazing

Yeah I had uk account which sucked and I had to abandon it when Poland was introduced. The whole country selection when registering is nonsense.

And wtf don’t allow to change country. If you ever move, your psn will be fucked.
Digital gaming sucks ass… well games can be region locked on disks too. Probably last time on ps3 tho
I think they actually allow now to change the region / country on PSN but took decades to implement

rofif

Banned
People really need to stop using Microsoft games as an example...

First off, you don't play Sea of Thieves on your STEAM account, it's all tied to your Microsoft Account. The game doesn't work unless you have a Microsoft Account, so you're not getting to play the game and then suddenly being told "well we are going to require you to link your account".

Also, another thing is, Microsoft Accounts aren't just Xbox accounts. They're a complete service account. So, the majority of people have a Microsoft Account, especially if they have a Windows PC.
Same thing. Psn account is just as multipurpose

rofif

Banned
The timing of it all definitely played a part in all of this. I don't know any other company that has pushed account creation/login into a game after it has been on the market for nearly three months.
Rockstar. They added launcher and login to gta4 on steam after 10 years. It was only gfwl before which could be offline local. It’s always rockstar

Filben

"How out of touch are you?"
"Sony."

Know your audience. PC gamers on Steam despise additional launchers and services. Every game that got later a launcher or account linking to Epic or other services got review bombed and people in the discussion boards voiced their dislike vehemently.

The outrage was totally predictable.

Then we have Sony telling us it's about """safety""". It's most likely about control and data and new users to their services, not for your protection first.

rofif

Banned
Steam is the only PC store front that gets any money from me.

Also Sony: “Good thing we hate money”
Why the idea is steam employees who set the refunds?! No way they researched list of countries not having psn and are doing refunds.
100% is Sony doing it or at least supporting the list to steam.
People put steam as winners instantly but we don’t know who did the refund job lol

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
As someone said somewhere else. Do we really know if it’s not Valve/steam itself who delisted the game for now, because of the refund requests?

I think they are waiting for more information from Sony/Arrowhead before it will be up again. Sony needs to clarify it tomorrow, or some official statement that those countries won’t need any login for now. They should just continue to expand PSN logins for more countries.

Because that's not how Valve operates. They face countless review bombings and mass refunds on a very regular basis, what makes this so different? They already have the infrastructure in place to handle mass refund requests. In cases like this they will just send the publisher an automated email telling them that their game is being review bomb.

The only times Valve will delist a game is if it is required by government laws, censorship, or if the publisher did something so severe that causes Valve cut all working tie with the publisher.

rofif

Banned
The main reason this has blown up so big so fast is like others have said, this is being added as a retroactive mandatory requirement to an extremely popular game. There would be arguably less push-back if this wasn't a popular game and no push-back like this if this was already in place at launch.
I’ve bit played on release but buddy told me psn was required on release and due to server problems was disabled. This is essentially a fix for that.
Kinda very stupid of them. Should be optional

rofif

Banned
Reading through the posts and the steps Valve took to remedy a situation they were aware of.
While its nice to paint Valve as the hero in this situation, no way they made these moves without working with Sony first since the refunds would be for revenue that has already been tendered to Sony through monthly revenue distribution.

Sony did the same on their platform for Cyberpunk (as did Microsoft).

Also, Sony isn't selling the product. Valve is selling the product through their distribution platform (Steam) and they have control over the sale of the product ultimately.
Good point

FunkMiller

Gold Member
So Arrowhead think it’s bullshit.
Steam thinks it’s bullshit.

How long are the console warriors going to keep defending what is clearly bullshit?

Honestly, this whole debacle has really shown me just how many people on here are mindless console warriors, who will take anything shovelled at them, and will defend the corporation they love at any cost.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Sony wants PSN accounts to brag to there investers about numbers. I bet all there games will have PSN account requirements going forwards.

I aint signing up to PSN when its basically spyware as its a security risk like nothing else. They can keep there games.

Last edited:

Garibaldi

What's absolute clusterfuck. They're barely in the pc marketplace and now they've pulled this insanity. Good luck furthering yourself in this market without a load of skepticism.

Killjoy-NL

Also Sony: “Good thing we hate money”
Some people have not been paying attention.

PC, to Sony, is just some extra revenue to support their console-business.
So losing some players is a non-issue.

Maybe this is a wake-up call for those that were hoping for something more. The new interim-CEO also stands by Playstation's current strategy.

Bojji

Some people have not been paying attention.

PC, to Sony, is just some extra revenue to support their console-business.
So losing some players is a non-issue.

Maybe this is a wake-up call for those that were hoping for something more. The new interim-CEO also stands by Playstation's current strategy.

Yeah I bet they don't give w fuck about sales. Lol.

Sony makes more stupid/bad decisions than good ones since PS5 launch. There are barely any "exclusive" games on PS5 after almost 4.5 years...

jm89

Sony makes more stupid/bad decisions than good ones since PS5 launch. There are barely any "exclusive" games on PS5 after almost 4.5 years...
There isn't an abundance of ps5 exclusives is due to the risk of going ps5 only with shortages.

There have been plenty of quality playstation games released this gen.

Mr Moose

Hopefully this'll force Sony to be more clear about making accounts in countries without a PSN store and not just "lets say you're travelling *wink wink*".

The other stuff was just people not reading requirements.

Those countries aren't being delisted to protect the players. People circumvent regional restrictions on both PSN and Steam all the time. They are doing this to cover their own butts since playing the game in those countries now requires players to break the TOS (which AFAIK require players to state their actual country of residence on both Steam and PSN), letting Valve and Sony off the hook for any further complaints and support requests from players who got the game that way.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

You're completely missing the point: whatever comes from PC, is extra.

Playstation itself generates a massive amount of revenue.
But losing a portion of extra revenue isn't a big issue, since it's extra.

And indeed, "exclusives", because Sony knows day 1 will be a dumb decision.

Sony has been very clear about all this since 2019.

I'm willing to bet that most people whining about this non-issue are the same people that ran the "12tflops vs 9tflops"-narrative and that were claiming Xbox was going to destroy Sony with 2 SKUs and GamePass.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I'm willing to bet that most people whining about this non-issue are the same people that ran the "12tflops vs 9tflops"-narrative and that were claiming Xbox was going to destroy Sony with 2 SKUs and GamePass.

Until that "extra" starts to become your main audience, or your focus for future growt.

Last edited:

Bojji

There isn't an abundance of ps5 exclusives is due to the risk of going ps5 only with shortages.

There have been plenty of quality playstation games released this gen.

So far I think the best thing about PS5 are better versions of PS4 games. There is barely any software made for this consoles, biggest studios are sleeping. Only insomniac is making shit ton of (woke) games.

You are applying fanboy logic here, that people that attack Sony must be Microsoft/Xbox fanboys. No, Sony just act like dumb fucks and are making anti consumer decisions, people don't like that...

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What's absolute clusterfuck. They're barely in the pc marketplace and now they've pulled this insanity. Good luck furthering yourself in this market without a load of skepticism.

They thought they would receive some VIP treatment when they come to PC. But they found out the hard way that they are just another 3rd party publisher on PC and there's no corporate apologists to give them free passes.

Killjoy-NL

You are applying fanboy logic here, that people that attack Sony must be Microsoft/Xbox fanboys. No, Sony just act like dumb fucks and are making anti consumer decisions, people don't like that...
At no point did I mention Xbox fanboys.
There were a lot of PC gamers claiming the same things as well.

eerik9000

At a glance? The Baltic states (Estonia, Lithuania & Latvia) are not included on the list and they don't have PSN, the reason for that is simple. EU *WILL* have their ass if they do.
So Sony are probably speed running a registration solution and/or hope people don't notice.
Are there any other EU countries without PSN that are not on the list?
Yeah, the sad thing is that before the launch of PlayStation 4, Sony put out a blog post or some news article which implied PSN would officially expand to Baltic states and other European countries "soon", but that never happened for the tiny Baltics. EU did force Sony to accept credit cards (and PayPal accounts) from other EU countries though, so I guess Sony though that was good enough. I just checked the support pages on Sony.ee and even today they just direct you to create a UK PSN account... Anyways, Sony really needs to fix this shit before their other live service titles come out, it's bizarre they did not do it beforehand.

Portugeezer

Sony should take responsibility for those outside of PSN countries and they deserve refund.

Anyone else moaning is being a child and not wanting to take responsibility for purchasing a game that said it required PSN account. Grow up and go sign the stellar blade areola petition like a real man...

Killjoy-NL

Sony should take responsibility for those outside of PSN countries and they deserve refund.

Anyone else moaning is being a child and not wanting to take responsibility for purchasing a game that said it required PSN account. Grow up and go sign the stellar blade areola petition like a real man...
From what I've read, Arrowhead and Sony are discussing possible solutions for those outside of PSN countries and make it optional for those affected.

The rest has to deal with it.

Top Bottom