• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Restricting Helldivers 2 Purchases in Countries Without PSN

Sleepwalker

I never thought he'd take it literally when I told him to go fuck himself.

Rbx7.gif
At least you didnt tell him to kill himself

feynoob

I don't even know what the controversy is. Where did she attack anyone? She just said she's looking forward to them (AH) being able to moderate the game better. Is he misunderstanding something?
It's a mess situation right now. Easier to paint someone bad.

StereoVsn

Face ID or drivers license, but that only in countries that require it. Steam has had two factor authentication for quite a while.
Yeah, but I haven’t had to present my government ID or a freaking face scan to Valve.

There is no way in hell would I trust Sony with my biometrics data. Note that for most biometric identification endeavors (minus gov ones), data sits locally in TPM or equivalent.

Biometric data leaking would be pretty damn bad.

Edit: I wonder if Sony would try to get biometric scans in EU… although reportedly Ireland is part of this scheme.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Oh tomorrow is judgement day?

It's when the PSN Account requirement is supposed to take effect. It's also a Monday so folks at Sony will be back in the office so we'll have a greater chance of seeing if they walk this back.

Fabieter

It's when the PSN Account requirement is supposed to take effect. It's also a Monday so folks at Sony will be back in the office so we'll have a greater chance of seeing if they walk this back.

My bet is that they tackle it like the horizon forbidden west upgrade debacle. Reversing it up saying clear that any future mp game will require psn.

bender

What time is it?
My bet is that they tackle it like the horizon forbidden west upgrade debacle. Reversing it up saying clear that any future mp game will require psn.

I think there are several acceptable ways to handle this:

-Issue an apology for the lack of proper communication. Drop the requirement for regions without access to create PSN Accounts, keep the requirement in other regions. Offer refunds to people in mandatory regions who do not wish to create PSN Account.
-Issue an apology for the lack of proper communication. Make the PSN Account optional for regions that support PSN Account creation and offer those regions incentive to sign up for a PSN Account (exclusive cosmetic, enough premium currency to purchase a premium War Bound) with a caveat that once a PSN Account is linked, it can't be unlinked.

Fabieter

I think there are several acceptable ways to handle this:

-Issue an apology for the lack of proper communication. Drop the requirement for regions without access to create PSN Accounts, keep the requirement in other regions. Offer refunds to people in mandatory regions who do not wish to create PSN Account.
-Issue an apology for the lack of proper communication. Make the PSN Account optional for regions that support PSN Account creation and offer those regions incentive to sign up for a PSN Account (exclusive cosmetic, enough premium currency to purchase a premium War Bound) with a caveat that once a PSN Account is linked, it can't be unlinked.

I think its smarter to make it optional for this game and make sure they are better prepared next time.

Fabieter

Sure but I'm not so sure Sony will take the ideal route. I also don't think it is unreasonable to have users create PSN Accounts. I just think it's way smarter to use a carrot than a stick.

If course it is but if you fuck up you have to cave sometimes. It won't suddenly fix the damage it has done to the game but it will give some goodwill to build from there.

And since they already sold it to alot of other countries, just drop it for this game. The upside isn't worth it anymore even on a cooperate level.

night13x

In the other topic - I came to the conclusion that dumb people bitching about signing into psn was a non issue.

HOWEVER - if it comes down to sony restricting access to the countries that dont have psn and removing access to game - that is a total different story. Very stupid logic by sony and hopefully will get fixed soon. My stance on "im mad I have to sign into psn" topic hasnt generally changed if isolated to just that.

Topher

Gold Member
No way companies are going to pull out of Steam, including Sony. I just don't see this as much of a "Sony screwup" as I do people blowing it out of proportion. Just skimming through the many threads, I am seeing a lot of the same negative phrases repeated which leads me to believe it is mob outrage instead of Indvidual concerns. I do not think Sony is handling this great but I have had to create so many accounts for games to play on other services it seems silly that suddenly this is the straw that breaks the camel's back. I have not played the game yet but will probably pick it up in the near future. Maybe I will join in on the outrage then.

I think it is a culmination of screwups that has led to this reaction. If this were only a matter of creating an account then none of this would make any sense. Attempting to bring it back in nearly three months later, the incompetency of selling in non-PSN countries and changing of corporate FAQ language created this shitstorm. It is just a bad situation but it isn't unsalvageble. Sony just needs to fix it.

Paltheos

In the other topic - I came to the conclusion that dumb people bitching about signing into psn was a non issue.

HOWEVER - if it comes down to sony restricting access to the countries that dont have psn and removing access to game - that is a total different story. Very stupid logic by sony and hopefully will get fixed soon. My stance on "im mad I have to sign into psn" topic hasnt generally changed if isolated to just that.

Generally my stance too. All of my friends have been vitriolic about the PSN sign-in requirement and I... humbly disagreed. Yeah it's kinda scummy but it's not really that bad. If it's a dumb mandate from Sony, whatever. The sign-in's free and it doesn't cost you any extra. As long as performance doesn't suffer, I don't really care.

Restricting access from countries that don't have the service is another matter though. If PSN login was planned as a firm requirement from the start, the game should never have been released where that wasn't possible. All the criticism there is warranted.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So is Steam issuing refund for this game or not? I only had like 2 hours played (but I bought it a while ago) and the game just didn’t click for me, so I tried to refund it, and Steam denied the request.

It doesn’t matter all that much to me, it’s only $40, but I almost certainly won’t be playing it again if it requires me to log into PSN.

reinking

Gold Member
I think it is a culmination of screwups that has led to this reaction. If this were only a matter of creating an account then none of this would make any sense. Attempting to bring it back in nearly three months later, the incompetency of selling in non-PSN countries and changing of corporate FAQ language created this shitstorm. It is just a bad situation but it isn't unsalvageble. Sony just needs to fix it.
I don't know what the communication between Arrowhead and Sony was like leading up to the launch but I assume Sony must have allowed Arrowhead to launch without PSN connectivity implemented. I guess there would have been a delay in the launch if Arrowhead had waited for the PSN login issue. In that case, I think Sony should have either forced the delay or they should make things right by reversing the requirement (which I do not think they will do). This is punishing the customers that have already purchased the product. I applaud people that have purchased the game leaving negative reviews or getting refunds. It is well within their rights. That being said, I believe there are some people seizing the opportunity to add fuel to the anti-Sony fire.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So is Steam issuing refund for this game or not? I only had like 2 hours played (but I bought it a while ago) and the game just didn’t click for me, so I tried to refund it, and Steam denied the request.

It doesn’t matter all that much to me, it’s only $40, but I almost certainly won’t be playing it again if it requires me to log into PSN.

Yes, it sounds like they're issuing refunds even for people not in one of those PSN effected countries.

GHG

As far as iam concerned give me anything drm free because accounts should never be mandatory. And I don't mean additional stacked login, I mean at all.

I can't play some of those ms sp games without an account and no one fucking cares about those.

Iam locked out of my league of legends accounts not willingly installing the most shitty anti cheat system on the entire platform and no one is doing a fuss about it.

If you want to make a fuss about, its really great but be fucking consistent.

I think you're missing the part where people are consistent in their complaints surrounding 3rd party login requirements for certain games on Steam.

Fabieter

We've already been through this.

When it's added retroactively this is the outcome, the issue becomes magnified.

Well I see warframe still at 86% positive reviews.

Just to be sure I think any game having this is a non issue.

Iam alot more bothered by the vanguard change in league and I hate that no one is talking about that.

Jormatar

Hilarious to see this game being compared to Escape From Tarkov. One game demanded players to take 2 minutes of their life to register a PSN account and other one tried to sell a 250 dollar game mode to its players. These are not the same.

It's gonna be fun to see all the outraged gamers crawl back to this game as soon as the next big content patch arrives.

Last edited:

xHunter

Sony and Arrowhead should have coimmunicated this whole thing more porperly
Its easy as hell to bring people to link a psn account.

1. Make it optional
2. Give them free stuff for linking
3. Problems that occur during this can be solved without causing a big outrage ( e.g. accs in countries where they dont support psn)
4. Profit

Guilty_AI

Well I see warframe still at 86% positive reviews.
I remember playing Warframe years and years ago and it very much requiring a Warframe account. I don't remember a time when it wasn't required and searching old pages on google seems to suggest the same.

Fabieter

I know that its hated but it was still somehow accepted and until now it was in a new game I never played because of the anti cheat System and I have to install this shit now and iam locked out of old account with a shitton of stuff.

I remember playing Warframe years and years ago and it very much requiring a Warframe account. I don't remember a time when it wasn't required and searching old pages on google seems to suggest the same.

The last time I played it was maybe ten years ago on pc and I remember it not requiring anything if you went with steam but my mind might Trick me tho.

Guilty_AI

I know that its hated but it was still somehow accepted
It isn't.

If what you mean is that there still exists people playing those games despite vanguard, worry not because it'll be the same for Helldivers 2, even if they lose good will, sales and a chunk of players.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Think this controversy is going to last as long as the Stellar Blade "censorship" kerfuffle?

My feeling is not.

No pun intended but I don't think this story is "sexy" enough to stick around for very long.

Fabieter

It isn't.

If what you mean is that there still exists people playing those games despite vanguard, worry not because it'll be the same for Helldivers 2, even if they lose good will, sales and a chunk of players.

Yea somehow people bitch about vanguard with valorant for years just so that riot can take it into the biggest pc game. It'd weird. All of my friends just installed it and said its needed why wouldnt I do it.

Top Bottom