• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Restricting Helldivers 2 Purchases in Countries Without PSN

Topher

Gold Member
In a backward ass way it makes sense not being able to sign up for a PSN account in countries without a store but that only works with consoles. Now that it's a requirement for their MP games sold on other stores they only have themselves to blame. They need official messaging on this. They need to officially say you can create an account that's from a country that isn't your own without risk.

My guess is that Sony's lawyers would advise not saying anything that is even slightly at odds with the TOS. Agree they need to address this though. I think they should do what many have already said: make it optional worldwide and provide incentives for PSN linking.

Carrot > Stick

Last edited:
JHk6ssY.jpeg
What a dumbass reason to hate a game.

You're more likely to get your data stolen or get hacked on a PC than you are from a console.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
people quit GAF/got banned because they were so upset about Sony franchises ending up on PC, its tribal!
I'll never understand that mindset, would be cool if all games were available everywhere.

Or at least... can't we trade Alyx for Stellar Blade? :lollipop_content:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They expanded massively, it's not just a Xbox Live account per say, it's also your Microsoft account now as far as I am aware.
Is there an "Xbox Live" account anymore though, considering any account with Microsoft is usable, Hotmail, Outlook, Windows, Skype etc since they made all accounts become a Microsoft Account.
It aint. They're conflating microsoft accounts with xbox accounts.

Oh sorry, I thought you need specifically xbox acc for Sea of Thieves and so on, if its just a MS account, then most people on Win10-11 already have it, so I understand that there is no outrage with those games.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
All Microsoft mp games tho. FF is also pretty big on steam. I think quite a few companies will have to pull out of steam soonish.
I mean, if they want to lose money just like Sony seems to do, then yeah sure, taking your product out of a store with millions of users is a good idea.

feynoob

And companies are going to pull out of Steam due to Sony's screwup......why again?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I would say that is one of the most bizarre takes on all of this I've seen, but considering who said it......meh. Par for the course.
People are not understanding the outrage, so it's easy for them to make these takes.

Only reason for this outrage is that Sony pissed off an existing community. Folks are ignoring this part.

Ff and other games have day1 accounts. So people don't care about it.

reinking

Gold Member
And companies are going to pull out of Steam due to Sony's screwup......why again?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I would say that is one of the most bizarre takes on all of this I've seen, but considering who said it......meh. Par for the course.

No way companies are going to pull out of Steam, including Sony. I just don't see this as much of a "Sony screwup" as I do people blowing it out of proportion. Just skimming through the many threads, I am seeing a lot of the same negative phrases repeated which leads me to believe it is mob outrage instead of Indvidual concerns. I do not think Sony is handling this great but I have had to create so many accounts for games to play on other services it seems silly that suddenly this is the straw that breaks the camel's back. I have not played the game yet but will probably pick it up in the near future. Maybe I will join in on the outrage then.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Valve seriously need to restrict these retarded launchers after this to improve their quality. Publishers should release their games on Steam without this garbage or fuck off.

CuNi

The devs never really said that. It's been part of Helldivers 2 launch from the very beginning.

some-discord-updates-v0-61bk9dtkfeyc1.jpg

some-discord-updates-v0-o9z5yctkfeyc1.jpg

While not outright said, this heavily implies that they weren't fully informed etc.
Especially the part that the Announcement on Steam and all the Communication was made by Sony instead of AH.

It was part of the game from the very beginning, but it wasn't mandatory. You could skip if and there was no pop-up saying that would change anytime.

Yes, Helldivers 2 is a major success.
This drama will blow over.

Every drama blows over eventually, but this one isn't one of those "it's just empty words".
Steam refunds the game for people that are way past the refund playtime and buy-date, as well as delisted it in over 100 countries, which is nothing that Steam does regularly.

The game won't die, obviously, and Sony and AH will make huge profits, but this will not be "nothing" either.

Last edited:

nosoynadie22

Gold Member
Sony fcked up BIG TIME. Not the first time.

And yet, there was one, UNBELIEVABLY EASY way to do it:
First stage - no psn req
Second - psn not required, but you could have achievements unlocked on your psn account
Third - still psn is not required, but if you login, you can have cross-progression
Fourth - psn is required for 'much cheaters on psn'

Bang!!

But nooo
Add super credits and exclusive skins in the third step.

In my opinion Sony should have blocked the purchase of Helldrivers II on Steam at the time they had problems with the servers, not made an exception for the requirement of a PSN account so maybe they would have solved their problems in a better way.

Mortisfacio

It will be nothing. Most people don't care about creating an account.

We'll see. This is the first weekend where player counts actually dropped during the weekend since release. Last week for example was 131k on Wednesday and 161k on Saturday. This week was 120k on Wednesday and 115k on Saturday. 115k is still good for a game, but seeing a drop for the weekend for the first time is more than "nothing".

Sleepwalker

some-discord-updates-v0-61bk9dtkfeyc1.jpg

some-discord-updates-v0-o9z5yctkfeyc1.jpg

While not outright said, this heavily implies that they weren't fully informed etc.
Especially the part that the Announcement on Steam and all the Communication was made by Sony instead of AH.

It was part of the game from the very beginning, but it wasn't mandatory. You could skip if and there was no pop-up saying that would change anytime.

Every drama blows over eventually, but this one isn't one of those "it's just empty words".
Steam refunds the game for people that are way past the refund playtime and buy-date, as well as delisted it in over 100 countries, which is nothing that Steam does regularly.

The game won't die, obviously, and Sony and AH will make huge profits, but this will not be "nothing" either.

To be fair 2 friends decided they wanted to get a refund over this and both were denied because of playtime. So steam are not handing out refunds to everyone, i'm not sure what the criteria is for them to go through.

One of them only had 10 hours on it and the other like 19.

Killjoy-NL

We'll see. This is the first weekend where player counts actually dropped during the weekend since release. Last week for example was 131k on Wednesday and 161k on Saturday. This week was 120k on Wednesday and 115k on Saturday. 115k is still good for a game, but seeing a drop for the weekend for the first time is more than "nothing".
Wait till after the new Warbond and especially when the Illuminate get added.

Midn1ght

This is probably Sony's next step toward making PC players pay a fee to play their online games.

First: PSN is optional

Second: PSN is required

Next Gaas Game: PS+ is required

And as expected, PC players are like:

jennifer lawrence middle finger GIF

I don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been said, this is some bullshit on Sony's part
No, I'm personally not affected by this because I'm playing this game on PS5, but this is not how you foster a growing player base. They aren't just fucking the players here, they are also fucking Arrowhead over with this shit. This was their breakout hit and now their future is less bright with this issue being tied to their brand. Sony should offer the devs compensation for sales lost as a result of this at the very least. I do expect this decision to be reversed though, I mean it has to be at this point.

Top Bottom