• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STELLAR BLADE |OT| Twitter May Cry

Bartski

Gold Member
PSA there is a minigame accessibility setting... I didn't know it existed. I thought I was cheating by turning off the trigger vibration.

Synastry

Just finished the game can say I was not expecting
adam to be the final boss

I only missed 1 outfit the fishing 1 since the game does a poor job of telling you how finishing works so I didn't get it at first and when it I it was to late.

Overall 8/10

Battle system is god tier 10/10
Story is silly and predictable 7/10
Platforming needs work. 6/10
Characters are likable my favorite is Lily and I hope we get a dlc with her or tacky

SkylineRKR

Fishing isn't hard and I recommend changing its controls in the settings. This way, all you need to do is one Square press, and hold the correct direction. And one R2 press, instead of mashing within the blue area. Its much more chill this way.

I'd give the game an 8/10 too. I loved the linear levels, the ones without a map. The game is easily 9/10 during those. The graphics also look better there. I just wasn't really sold on both the Wasteland and Desert areas. They weren't bad, but a bit cumbersome to traverse as fast travel is fairly limited and there is no way to speed up your own traversal too. Esp. if you want to accept and hand in quests, and return to the same spot to continue a quest. The overall experience, combined with the decidely average platforming can feel a bit clunky here. I think the game and its mechanics are best suited for closed levels.

Aenima

All the outfits? It’s 2 outfits! There is like 40 outfits in the game if you don’t include the color variations. A lot of work just to see the difference between the 2 outfits and doesn’t make sense since you can see pics and videos of them. They weren’t even the sexiest, all those impossibly skin tight outfits that show Eve’s butt in exquisite detail are far better.
Yes he can see all the outfits uncensored, dosent mean all got censored. I found changes in 3 outfits so far. Some of them got censored before the final release though, like the chinese dress and lingerie one. What dosent make sense is adding lace between a zipper just to cover a little of clevage in a +18 game. If he has the option to play the game with the uncecored outfits its up to him if he want to do it or not. It takes 10 minutes to install the game without patch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

GymWolf

Nier's influence is mostly aesthetics (environments, music, start of the story) but the game loop is different. There is more exploration and combat is far deeper and unforgiving, you can't play this on "auto". I'm getting obliterated by two bosses cos I haven't learned their patterns yet. There's a good variety of builds and combat mechanics but you have to practice or else big enemies and mobs will mess with you.
Yeah i'm liking this one way more than automata.

But i'm one of the dudes who never saw the "magic" in automata so i'm biased.

Last edited:

Aenima

Nier has interisting original ideas and God tier OST. But Yoko Taro was right, Stellar Blade is better.

Reactions: Isa

Synastry

Fishing isn't hard and I recommend changing its controls in the settings. This way, all you need to do is one Square press, and hold the correct direction. And one R2 press, instead of mashing within the blue area. Its much more chill this way.

I'd give the game an 8/10 too. I loved the linear levels, the ones without a map. The game is easily 9/10 during those. The graphics also look better there. I just wasn't really sold on both the Wasteland and Desert areas. They weren't bad, but a bit cumbersome to traverse as fast travel is fairly limited and there is no way to speed up your own traversal too. Esp. if you want to accept and hand in quests, and return to the same spot to continue a quest. The overall experience, combined with the decidely average platforming can feel a bit clunky here. I think the game and its mechanics are best suited for closed levels.
What threw me off is in the finishing tutorial it says to press and hold R2 to lineup the pointer in the blue line but what you need to do is slightly press R2 to line it up with the blue line.

When I learn this I was already pass that point.

But all is good I already started a NG+.

rofif

Banned
What language is the music?
There are some english words but is it latin or gibberish ?
Like the both wasteland exploration tracks

Agreed 100%

Automata was an A-OK game and I'm fine with it (did all playthroughs), thing is, it's not this...profound experience that many people will have you believe nor its story is anything mind-blowing, in fact, it's the most 7.5/10 game out there that for some reason (the panties) has reached cult status.
I mean, graphics are no more than a 6.5- 7 (and that's being generous), gameplay is pretty mediocre with generic hack n slash with some Bayo witch-time slow-mo and some shmup bits thrown in which would bring it to a 6.5-7 tops and its story - if you're above the age of 20 and not into animU is another 7 - 7.5.
It's a nice game but that's it, there's nothing profound, nor esoteric about it in the end, it's just a nice, above than average game.

As for Stellar blade...I haven't got the game yet but judging from the demo (which I must have poured 8 hours into it), and solely for the excellent gameplay/combat system is already leaps beyond Nier Automata when it comes to the gameplay.

Last edited:

Complistic

Should I take the plunge and update it? I got the game Sunday, and have yet to download the update. I have to keep the PS5 unplugged and it's not fun being disconnected from the internet. I also bought Tekken 8, I got Street Fighter 6, Akuma is imminent, and being offline with my ether etc cable unplugged is wearing on me.
I want stockingless Eve too but this shit's killing me.
Yes, censorship is bad, but the reaction is so overblown.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

See I don’t hear k pop in this soundtrack at all. Not yet at least.

This sounds like some Korean adult contemporary or something 😆 I half expect to hear Sade pop in for a quick verse

ToneyJ

Just finished the resident evil section, it was...cute but super duper easy, i don't think i got hit once during the whole thing...

These dudes nailed shooting better than some dedicated tps :lollipop_squinting:
I swear the
boss fight at the end of this section was better than any Resident Evil boss. And im a big RE fan.

Shift Up rocks.

Last edited:

Tommi84

I need someone who's not a lazy fuck like me, and photoshop a can of Booty Sweat in her hand.
Can it be here?

xDDD
YIJFna9.jpeg

D

I also like this more than Automata, but I see the resemblance. Even my wife commented in passing on how these games all have some little robot following you around.

I loved Nier, but Automata felt like a completely different game with the Nier theme slapped on.

Bartski

Gold Member

lmao I was thinking of the same. I think the first track is in Korean (??), while the second one sounds like a Korean singer who doesn't know English, trying to sing in English. I'm usually quite good at decoding lyrics by ear, not this time.

My fav tune is easily flooded sector and the Spire 4 theme (the latter somehow not on youtube?)

rofif

Banned
lmao I was thinking of the same. I think the first track is in Korean (??), while the second one sounds like a Korean singer who doesn't know English, trying to sing in English. I'm usually quite good at decoding lyrics by ear, not this time.

My fav tune is easily flooded sector and the Spire 4 theme (the latter somehow not on youtube?)

that's my fav too. so good.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Ohh yeah that's a great one

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Just finished the game can say I was not expecting
adam to be the final boss

I only missed 1 outfit the fishing 1 since the game does a poor job of telling you how finishing works so I didn't get it at first and when it I it was to late.

Overall 8/10

Battle system is god tier 10/10
Story is silly and predictable 7/10
Platforming needs work. 6/10
Characters are likable my favorite is Lily and I hope we get a dlc with her or tacky
join Adam and you have a different boss fight. I didn’t fight Adam. I fought Providence. He’s an aggressive boss for sure.

SkylineRKR

Agreed 100%

Automata was an A-OK game and I'm fine with it (did all playthroughs), thing is, it's not this...profound experience that many people will have you believe nor its story is anything mind-blowing, in fact, it's the most 7.5/10 game out there that for some reason (the panties) has reached cult status.
I mean, graphics are no more than a 6.5- 7 (and that's being generous), gameplay is pretty mediocre with generic hack n slash with some Bayo witch-time slow-mo and some shmup bits thrown in which would bring it to a 6.5-7 tops and its story - if you're above the age of 20 and not into animU is another 7 - 7.5.
It's a nice game but that's it, there's nothing profound, nor esoteric about it in the end, it's just a nice, above than average game.

As for Stellar blade...I haven't got the game yet but judging from the demo (which I must have poured 8 hours into it), and solely for the excellent gameplay/combat system is already leaps beyond Nier Automata when it comes to the gameplay.

Automata has really mediocre gameplay, with some quite original and unexpected shmup sections to break it up and add originality, but those sections could be quite unfair at times and went on for too long. The gameplay especially falls apart when you play as 9S, with endless hacking minigames and a gimped swordplay moveset. Route B really is rough.

I didn't really enjoy the gameplay of Automata much, but I did enjoy how it toys with 2D platform gameplay etc much like the original did. Automata is mostly carried by its story, which is very interesting.

Stellar Blade has better gameplay, more weight to it, a better move set. And while its no Nier, Stellar Blade is also quite bleak in itself. There is some dark shit in there, such as a note you find among drowned corpses. Thematically they share similarities beyond sexy androids and Okabe music.

In the end I prefer Stellar Blade, its gameplay loop is simply better. But there are some things I'd like to see improved for a possible sequel.

Action/adventure is probably my favorite genre (used to be 3d platformers but those don't really exist these days). I've played the bayo games and really enjoyed them, haven't played any dmc but I plan on playing through the series eventually. I also played nier automata and absolutely loved it (which seems to have inspired SB pretty heavily).

Dmc 3/5 and Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 are the best the genre has

bender

What time is it?
Credits are rolling. The Raven boss fight was the only one I had trouble with and it probably took me 10 or so attempts. It's a really solid game but the design is a little all over the place.

+Boss battles are the highlight as they should be in an action game. The clank of weapons during a perfect parry or the slow motion trigger on perfect doge feel wonderful.
+The soundtrack is a lot of fun.
+It's a really beautiful game with the exception of some of the cliff textures which you unfortunately spend a lot of time up close and personal with if you do a lot of the side content.
+Shooting sections are surprisingly fun even if they lack any sort of challenge.
+Love the amount of outfits.
-Not enough variety in locales
-Too much side content for the size and amount of those locales which leads to a lot of repetition and backtracking
-The story sucks which I normally wouldn't mind in an action game but most action games don't require this much of a time investment.
-I was pretty bored with the combat outside of boss battles about 60% into my playthrough. The variety in the enemy types is fine, I just think it goes back to the structure of the game and having you revisit areas so much.
-Some weird decisions that effect pacing (for example, they should have opened up the fishing mini-game early on instead of towards the end which again led to needless backtracking).
-Once I had most of the upgrades, my urge to do side content was drained.

After not liking the demo very much, I'd say this was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
Jesus - the latest DLC podcast on Stellar Blade is embarrassing. Moaning about all the female characters *yawn*.

They bloody loved Bayonetta as well :messenger_open_mouth:

Markio128

I have to admit that I’m struggling a bit with the great desert. I’ve reached a boss near the tower that is kicking my arse in a serious fashion. Twat.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Finally finished the game and I REALLY enjoyed my time the game. It doesn’t beat Unicorn Overlord as my GOTY but easily 9/10 game for me.

That fight with Raven was Epic and loved music, I think like her boss fight more than final boss Adam, he basically was Shadowlord from NieR Replicant.

Edit: I might immediately move to do NG+ run.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Yes he can see all the outfits uncensored, dosent mean all got censored. I found changes in 3 outfits so far. Some of them got censored before the final release though, like the chinese dress and lingerie one. What dosent make sense is adding lace between a zipper just to cover a little of clevage in a +18 game. If he has the option to play the game with the uncecored outfits its up to him if he want to do it or not. It takes 10 minutes to install the game without patch.

It’s not worth the input delay in the game before the day 1 patch (just for the 3 outfits).

DelireMan7

Some of them got censored before the final release though, like the chinese dress
Chinese dress was not change with day one patch

I have also seen (a very blurry) screenshot of this outfits without the tights but it's not from the release game.
True or fake, it doesn't matter the addition of tights is an improvement.

Maybe I don't get the line between censorship and design choice but really I don't get all the complaints.

On the game I reach Xion and wasted land.
I am never the biggest fan of city in game. Especially if there is a lot to see, read and listen.

Took me more than an hour to make the tour.
Small side quests were really basic but it was the first ones so let's see for the rest.

Also I'd like the map shows more stuff during exploration. Like the discovered chest which I need the password.
Currently I found several areas where I have to come back later but nothing is noted on the map.
And it doesn't show what I already explored and what I didn't.

Otherwise still an extremely good combat system. Really enjoying it.
Also the story and lore are more interesting than what I expected.

GymWolf

The game would be much better if it was way harder, it would make progression and exploration more meaningful.
They really fucked up by leaving hard mode locked behind completing the game once, asian devs really love to do this shit.

Also why no map in eidos 7? :messenger_pensive:

The game continue to be good but it could have been much better.
Also not a fan of using only a weapon for the whole game, they should have at least introduce an heavy slow weapon and and an even faster but weaker weapon to spice things up, even automata had a couple of different weapons to use.

rofif

Banned
Who the fuck said the game is 15-20 hours ?!
I am 17 hours in and just done with the eidos lab section. Feels like a mid game.

Game is fantastic. better each moment.
I even made a big step and finally disabled Film Grain lol

GymWolf

Who the fuck said the game is 15-20 hours ?!
I am 17 hours in and just done with the eidos lab section. Feels like a mid game.

Game is fantastic. better each moment.
I even made a big step and finally disabled Film Grain lol
If you explore everything the game is closer to 30++ hours.

I think people just got bored of exploring at a certain point and mainlined the main quest or they didn't explored at all.

Last edited:
The game would be much better if it was way harder, it would make progression and exploration more meaningful.
They really fucked up by leaving hard mode locked behind completing the game once, asian devs really love to do this shit.
This is what is stopping me from getting it. I am a pretty average gamer but I really enjoy difficult games, where I actually feel like I overcame a challenge. It is complete bullshit Shift Up hides the "Hard" difficulty mode behind beating the game, as I rarely play games more than once. I hope they come out with a "Complete Edition" that unlocks all the difficulty modes. Otherwise, I am just going to wait for a deep sale(or PS+)

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
This is what is stopping me from getting it. I am a pretty average gamer but I really enjoy difficult games, where I actually feel like I overcame a challenge. It is complete bullshit Shift Up hides the "Hard" difficulty mode behind beating the game, as rarely play games more than once. I hope they come out with a "Complete Edition" that unlocks all the difficulty modes. Otherwise, I am just going to wait for a deep sale(or PS+)
It's not that easy but it's not ringed city lol.
It's about right for me at least. I died a few times so far

GymWolf

This is what is stopping me from getting it. I am a pretty average gamer but I really enjoy difficult games, where I actually feel like I overcame a challenge. It is complete bullshit Shift Up hides the "Hard" difficulty mode behind beating the game, as I rarely play games more than once. I hope they come out with a "Complete Edition" that unlocks all the difficulty modes. Otherwise, I am just going to wait for a deep sale(or PS+)
It's not as mindless as something like kingdom hearts 3 or dogma2 tho, you are gonna die sometimes but yeah, i'm not super good with actions game and i like to get my ass kicked a lot so this is a missed opportunity.
But i don't wanna sound too negative, the game has a lot of good things going on, maybe wait for a big discount but the game is worth of being played.

I guess it's ok for people who replay games a lot but i almost never do that.

Last edited:
It's not that easy but it's not ringed city lol.
It's about right for me at least. I died a few times so far
With these types of games, I am a little disappointed if I don't die at least 50-100 times in a playthrough. As long as the combat is great I don't mind dying a bunch. I enjoy the challenge and I get the maximum value from the padded run time. It just seems like a massive oversight to develop a "Souls" like game that doesn't have a "Souls" like difficulty level

rofif

Banned
With these types of games, I am a little disappointed if I don't die at least 50-100 times in a playthrough. As long as the combat is great I don't mind dying a bunch. I enjoy the challenge and I get the maximum value from the padded run time. It just seems like a massive oversight to develop a "Souls" like game that doesn't have a "Souls" like difficulty level
I understand that tho i am kinda over the games where it's expected I die 20 times on a boss. I want to paly the game, finish the game, have a good time and replay it if it was good later.
I don't mind dying few times but I don't need ultra difficulty.
Like Elden Ring - I enjoyed it a lot until the later 20% of the game. I expect to hate the dlc lol

Garibaldi

Yeah the normal enemies basically pose no threat whatsoever once you get your skills built up and have some decent gear.

Bosses can be a fiddle but they aren't very complex so far so once you figure them out, they are fairly easy to take down. I'm looking forward to a hard playthrough.

I understand that tho i am kinda over the games where it's expected I die 20 times on a boss. I want to paly the game, finish the game, have a good time and replay it if it was good later.
I don't mind dying few times but I don't need ultra difficulty.
Like Elden Ring - I enjoyed it a lot until the later 20% of the game. I expect to hate the dlc lol
Yeah, most gamers share that view. I am definitely in the minority. But as a developer, if you only have 2 difficulty levels, then you probably aren't catering to all gamers. And hiding difficulty levels behind completing the game is probably my #1 pet peeve in gaming. Absolutely no reason for it

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Yeah, most gamers share that view. I am definitely in the minority. But as a developer, if you only have 2 difficulty levels, then you probably aren't catering to all gamers. And hiding difficulty levels behind completing the game is probably my #1 pet peeve in gaming. Absolutely no reason for it
If the 3rd difficulty was unlocked from the start, everyone would be happy. It's dev fault here.
btw - souls games completely destroyed perceived difficulty in gaming. Difficult = fun to watch streamer struggle but bad to play yourself nowadays more often than not.

Since we're on music, this track absolutely slays.

8fa6408b115c081049e46036a7212e2c893f830f.gif

This area felt like a fusion of Resident Evil and Mirror's Edge.

It's not easy at all. Casuals must be suffering with this, cos you can't smash buttons like in Nier or Bayonetta. I have died a hundred times and some bosses made me swear. There is no death penalty except for a couple of zones where saving spots are temporarily disabled.

People who don't post on videogame forums are struggling with this game. Reddit is full of them. So, the normal difficulty is way higher than what a new developer would set for an action game.

Senhua

This game reeks of Sony's first-party design template: story-driven cinematic storytelling paired with piss easy difficulty catering to mainstream audiences
That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad if they balance it with good story, writing, and characterization as seen in SIE first-party titles, but unfortunately, that's not the case here.

This game could be much better if they made it more like MGR/Bayonetta/DMC in terms of gameplay difficulty, due to a similar design philosophy.
What a letdown, especially considering that the OST, character design, and gameplay are pretty good.

8/10 maks. The game is excessively easy, even on the normal difficulty setting. It's clearly designed for journalists and mainstream audiences.
I should have known better when I first heard that SIE would publish this game.

Reason for edit: Because A lot of "passionate" defender of this game a bit too active by scouring word by words for every of review of the game in hope to find some mistake.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
This game reeks of Sony's first-party design template: story-driven cinematic storytelling paired with overly simplistic gameplay catering to mainstream audiences
That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad if they balance it with good story, writing, and characterization as seen in SIE first-party titles, but unfortunately, that's not the case here.

This game could be much better if they made it more like MGR/Bayonetta/DMC in terms of gameplay difficulty, due to a similar design philosophy.
What a letdown, especially considering that the OST, character design, and gameplay are pretty good.

8/10 maks. The game is excessively easy, even on the normal difficulty setting. It's clearly designed for journalists and mainstream audiences.
I should have known better when I first heard that SIE would publish this game.
overly simplistic gameplay?! What do you expect to do here? Kerbal space program 3 without a guide?!
It's a booba and ass action game with rpg elements.

Top Bottom