• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STELLAR BLADE |OT| Twitter May Cry

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think the game has a good balance of difficulty. Every game can't be a souls title and some of the last bosses can get every bit as difficult as a souls. If you've been playing bloodborne, sekiro, and the souls game, then of course the game might seem 'too easy' for you because you've been playing some of the more difficult games out there for a long time. We also have to remember there are less skilled gamers out there and making every boss encounter nonstop frustration would completely turn them off.
I'm someone who LOVES From games deeply but at the same time I dont need other games be like them, I honestly I hate that trend.

Stellar Blade is not " Souls-like" (I hate that word) its action game with decent challenge....people only think its "Souls game" because enemies respawn when you rest but let me remind you that in NieR Automata when you die you have go retrieve your chips from your old body same way you do Souls games but that doesn't make Automata Souls game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My favorite aspect of the souls games are the amount of skill and your overall awareness of the environment determines how fast you make it through the game. It’s not about the amount of time you spend in cutscenes or conversations with other NPCs. Stellar Blade has a mix of that particular style. You have a lot of combat mixed with some cutscenes. It’s not unbearable in Stellar Blade. I’d rather have audio logs than actual cutscene animations, which Stellar Blade has with your robot pal. It didn’t overdo it, which was great. I also didn’t do every single side quest in my SB play through. I’ll get to NG+ at some point.

GymWolf

This game reeks of Sony's first-party design template: story-driven cinematic storytelling paired with piss easy difficulty catering to mainstream audiences
That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad if they balance it with good story, writing, and characterization as seen in SIE first-party titles, but unfortunately, that's not the case here.

This game could be much better if they made it more like MGR/Bayonetta/DMC in terms of gameplay difficulty, due to a similar design philosophy.
What a letdown, especially considering that the OST, character design, and gameplay are pretty good.

8/10 maks. The game is excessively easy, even on the normal difficulty setting. It's clearly designed for journalists and mainstream audiences.
I should have known better when I first heard that SIE would publish this game.

Reason for edit: Because A lot of "passionate" defender of this game a bit too active by scouring word by words for every of review of the game in hope to find some mistake.
First part is not correct, unless you play everything on normal or you are a god at videogames.

There is no way you can think that horizon or gow are not hard games on max difficulty.

Btw i finally unlocked the burst skills, the game has some juicy builds to try now that i have more exospine and augments.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Like... HOLY HELL (my shots)

3abYCrQ.jpeg

Bonus my fav costume!

The orcal guards have the best design in the game, their tech capes looks fabolous.

Tacky and the chick with the spear are both hotter than eve :messenger_savoring:

IMG20240501133821.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Your mistake is thinking Stellar Blade is a Souls Like game. It isent and it was never suposed to be one. For some reason some ppl got that idea from the demo, and i kept telling them thers nothing Souls Like in Stellar Blade aside from inspiration in some gameplay mechanics. The game was not designed to be punishing, but it still provides challenging encounters from time to time.
People make the mistake of thinking that when people want an hard game they want a soulslike...

News flash, soulslike are not the only nor the hardest games around, we had hard games since the beginning of gaming.

People who want hard games just enjoy the challenge, i would fucking die if every game played like a fromsoft game.

So i'm not sure from where the excuse of "it's not a soulslike" comes from...challenge is challenge, it is not related to souls games only.

Last edited:
rookie-numbers.gif

I think i died 500++ times in almost all the very hard games i played, it makes exploration and progression and just getting gud much much sweater.

Tbf i'm one of those player that very easily go into a death spiral with bosses if i can't nail them in the first 1-3 tries :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I heard the game get tougher in the second half so i still have hope, like i said, it's not as mindless as other games.

I agree ..too many easy games these days even from games and genres that shouldn't be. Like Dragons Dogma 2 for example

GymWolf

And I died dozens of times. IMO combat is challenging because you can't play on auto mode or spam attacks. Enemies don't get staggered and they counter. In short, you need to learn how to play. Difficulty wise I would put it equal to DMC 3 in hard mode.

Only From Software can make truly challenging AAA games and still sell millions.

But you can stagger bosses all you want, by using beta skills, burst skills or by breaking their shield, or with the blue/purple evade moves where you have an opening if you do it correctly (not a stagger but a decent opening for a long combo)
Hell you can even light stagger with the perfect evade + long press triangle + circle and triangle together or the equivalent move after a parry.

I just beat gigas and the colossus last night and they both get staggered a lot, this is not a game where bosses have infinite poise or where you can't impose your rythm at all, aggressive super skilled players with the right build probably keep bosses staggered for half the fight if a dude like me can manage to do that from time to time.

I think some of you people are playing the game wrong or don't optimize your builds if you can't even stagger enemies...

Last edited:
I detect when devs keep us locked out of higher difficulties until we've beaten the game. Makes no sense when most people won't play second time and the dev will lose out on sales from people that don't want an easy game.

The trend of everything being made easy lately is ruining games. Asan developers are just as bad about this lately.

GymWolf

You will find out.
I'm not sure if the writing in this game is just bizzare or if it plants clues for future reveals.

Like just after you save lilly, she respond to eve with something like "classic eve".
But i just fucking saved her, we don't know each other...so is she just bizzarre or eve is like an android model of warrior and they have all the same personality so lilly already know how they act?

I swear the charactersin this game sometimes have the most random ass lines and i'm not sure if it is just the english traduction being bad or something else.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I agree ..too many easy games these days even from games and genres that shouldn't be. Like Dragons Dogma 2 for example
This is not as mindless as dogma2, enemies here are not lethargic fucks balanced around not having a fucking dogde button, they are decently aggressive and you don't have infinite healing items.

I'm having much more fun with stellar blade.

Last edited:

Zheph

I don't think it's a hard game but it's definitely not "piss easy". The feedback from casuals seems to be that the game is rather hard so I think SU did strike a decent balance.

After all is done, I do prefer NieR:A to this but it's a good game. It's just the global charm, story and mood that I much prefer in Automata.

This is not as mindless as dogma2, enemies here are not lethargic fucks balanced around not having a fucking dogde button, they are decently aggressive and you don't have infinite healing items.

I'm having much more fun with stellar blade.

Yeah, I didn't think this would be as easy I was just using DD2 as an example that there is a trend lately with devs making their games easier than ever before. Devs like Itsuno, who made DMC and Dragons Dogma, I am so disappointed with how DD2 turned out, challenge and combat wise. Never wouldbe expected that from him.

GymWolf

I don't think it's a hard game but it's definitely not "piss easy". The feedback from casuals seems to be that the game is rather hard so I think SU did strike a decent balance.

After all is done, I do prefer NieR:A to this but it's a good game. It's just the global charm, story and mood that I much prefer in Automata.
Jesus nier was too fucking sad with all those robots sidestories...

Stellar at least has some uplifting moments and the mood is not as heavy :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Zheph

Jesus nier was too fucking sad with all those robots sidestories...

Stellar at least has some uplifting moments and the mood is not as heavy :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Haha maybe that is what I liked but you are completely right. Yoko Taro is very dramatic and I remember him saying he saw one of his friends commit suicide as a kid and that influenced him a lot.

Danjin44

I'm not sure if the writing in this game is just bizzare or if it plants clues for future reveals.

Like just after you save lilly, she respond to eve with something like "classic eve".
But i just fucking saved her, we don't know each other...so is she just bizzarre or eve is like an android model of warrior and they have all the same personality so lilly already know how they act?

I swear the charactersin this game sometimes have the most random ass lines and i'm not sure if it is just the english traduction being bad or something else.
The lore is decent but characterization is definitely lacking. I don’t mind Eve personality is subdued in context of the story but side characters need less dry and more fun like Emil, Kaine and Weiss was in Nier Replicant.

Adam for example is very dry even…..

even after the truth comes out and everything reveals that Adam is Elder Naytiba he still is very much same old dry guy…..Raven in other hand, I actually loved her because she had proper emotion and passion, she really pissed off the fact Adam chose Eve over her (i think Raven was in love with Adam) and this is the fight that Eve showed most emotion which made fight that much more memorable.

Other than that the game was super fun, combat feels great with fantastic enemy/boss design, I specially liked Karukari, it has cool ass design with great aesthetics in the environments.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Stellar Blade is not " Souls-like" (I hate that word) its action game with decent challenge....people only think its "Souls game" because enemies respawn when you rest but let me remind you that in NieR Automata when you die you have go retrieve your chips from your old body same way you do Souls games but that doesn't make Automata Souls game.
It's a Hack and Slash. Dark Souls and it's cousins are little more then adventure games using a roguelite leveling system with extra steps usually relying on checkpoints and forcing you to farm for currency to level up that is usually lost on death. I think a couple of these games are good but I don't want every action game to be one.

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

It's a Hack and Slash. Dark Souls and it's cousins are little more then adventure games using a roguelite leveling system with extra steps usually relying on checkpoints and forcing you to farm for currency to level up that is usually lost on death. I think a couple of these games are good but I don't want every action game to be one.
I’m big fan of FROM games but that doesn’t mean every fucking needs to be like them.…..it okay for action game be proper action game.

if FROM stops making games then I look for alternative but until then I dont need other “Soul-like” games….i just don’t need it.

Last edited:

Barakov

I’m big fan of FROM games but that doesn’t mean every fucking needs to be like them.…..it okay for action game be proper action game.

if FROM stops making games then I look for alternative but until then I dont need other “Soul-like” games….i just don’t need it.
Kinda have to agree on this. I don't mind the souls-like combat for the bosses as it's interesting for that but having every enemy be like that is kinda a hassle. I think being a more traditional hack and slash game would've been better for the game as far as enjoyment goes.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Looks like the collaboration (both ways) has been officially announced now between Stellar Blade and Nikke.

Summary:
  • Nikke getting playable Eve/Lily/Tachy (maybe more?)
  • Outfits from popular characters in Nikke being added to SB.
I'm assuming it's gonna be Rapi/Anis/Neon outfits, but there's a lot they could choose from. Probably several collabs worth.
8xmVjoN.jpeg

*edit*

Seems to also be talk of a 'boss rush' mode.

Last edited:
Oh, it's just a image of her legs when she's not wearing satyr heels, not a real spoiler. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
The real question is, did they adjust the rest of her model so she's actually a few inches shorter when not wearing heels than when she is? This is something many game devs are super lazy about when their game has characters who wear flat shoes and heels, and it's apparently enough of a problem that most games avoid the issue by simply never having both heels and flat shoes in their games as clothing options it's either one or the other

Last edited:
It's not easy at all.
Agreed. I am finding it relatively easy now with upgrades and such. I can’t imagine how someone even slightly more casual than me must be handling it. The regular enemies aren’t too difficult, but I presume many people are getting stuck on bosses.

Do people forget all the players on NeoGAF who gave up on Returnal in the first or second biome?

GymWolf

Ok
the tachy boss killed me a bit short of 10 times (all in the first phase strangely enough)
so the perspective of having even harder bosses going on is encouraging.

Agreed. I am finding it relatively easy now with upgrades and such. I can’t imagine how someone even slightly more casual than me must be handling it. The regular enemies aren’t too difficult, but I presume many people are getting stuck on bosses.

Do people forget all the players on NeoGAF who gave up on Returnal in the first or second biome?

Returnal is the best example of a great game scaring mainstream audiences because of its difficulty, even if it's one of the best action titles this gen. A new studio/IP cannot afford that unless they have a reputation. Shift Up could never go that route in their first console game. Even so, the difficulty is decent given that many people thought it would be a flashy hack-and-slash, just to find out that you can't fight mobs without getting destroyed. For many people who played the demo, the roach with the huge shield in the first area was a blue-eyed knight moment.

GymWolf

Returnal is the best example of a great game scaring mainstream audiences because of its difficulty, even if it's one of the best action titles this gen. A new studio/IP cannot afford that unless they have a reputation. Shift Up could never go that route in their first console game. Even so, the difficulty is decent given that many people thought it would be a flashy hack-and-slash, just to find out that you can't fight mobs without getting destroyed. For many people who played the demo, the roach with the huge shield in the first area was a blue-eyed knight moment.
I think people also didn't liked the fact that the game was a roguelite, many people really hate the genre, you can see it on gaf every time a promising game is revealed to be a roguelite and many people completely lose interest.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
4k mode looks much better. I switch to it from time to time to take screenshots.
Balanced looks very good in general but some temporal break up is there and it's a bit muddy.
I am also surprised because 30fps plays great and motion blur looks better at 30fps...
But said that - switching from balanced to fidelity hits like a train even to me. I am not playing 15 minutes to get used to it lol. Just switching on, screenshot and back off.

SkylineRKR

Balanced has a lot of slowdown and messed up inputs. The last few stages play quite rough on balanced.

Ok
the tachy boss killed me a bit short of 10 times (all in the first phase strangely enough)
so the perspective of having even harder bosses going on is encouraging.

They are all tough from there on. The game is by no means easy. The second half of the game have some encounters that will fuck you up if you don't pay attention. Certain groups of mobs can easily delete you too. The stage after the desert and the subsequent ones are tough.

4k mode looks much better. I switch to it from time to time to take screenshots.
Balanced looks very good in general but some temporal break up is there and it's a bit muddy.
I am also surprised because 30fps plays great and motion blur looks better at 30fps...
But said that - switching from balanced to fidelity hits like a train even to me. I am not playing 15 minutes to get used to it lol. Just switching on, screenshot and back off.
I used to play all my games on quality mode 30fps and never had complaints. I can't handle it now. Switching this game to quality on an OLED makes it feel like a slideshow. I really wish 120hz/40fps would become standard. You get the benefit of the 120hz low input latency but more headroom for graphics.

Luipadre

I used to play all my games on quality mode 30fps and never had complaints. I can't handle it now. Switching this game to quality on an OLED makes it feel like a slideshow. I really wish 120hz/40fps would become standard. You get the benefit of the 120hz low input latency but more headroom for graphics.

And this game looks awesome in balanced mode, even in performance with a bit of image breakup on some objects, but the overall IQ and sharpness is great

Markio128

The boss at the great desert solar tower was the first time i said "okay okay now we are talking" It was the first boss with actual challenge
Yeah, that boss nearly broke me. I’d used all my potions, and a revive, and had a flea’s hair worth of energy left when he finally went down, after probably 7 or 8 attempts. That was a big relief, especially since you need to beat that boss to access fast travel.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
If you say this game is “piss easy” without adding a “to me” at the end of that statement you’re a fucking douchebag

• LOL

rofif

Banned
switching to 30 is a nightmare.
But once you finish the game, do yourself a little test and for 1 evening only play in 30fps mode. next day you will launch it up, 30 will seem totally fine again :p
I finished rebirth playing at 30fps and obviously dragons badfps dogma 2

45 hours later and it's a wrap. I did everything I could possibly do but still missed 2 camps for that trophy and I'm missing the Naytiba researcher trophy which is weird since the database is filled. Putting all that aside, let me get to my overall analysis of this fantastic new IP.

I said a couple of months ago SB would be this gen's DMC/Bayo and the fact is I was right lol. A stylistic character action game that makes the entire industry perk up and take notice, a game everyone seems to be talking about and for good reason. Yet, the game SB is *most* reminiscent of is Nier Automata. Structurally, thematically, sonically, environmentally, this is a Korean, android cousin to 2B and co's dystopian adventure right down to the floating robo companion following you around and the "chips" to augment your build. Ultimately I believe Automata is a better game but for now I'll just focus on Stellar Blade. Oh and this is *not* a "souls-like", I say this as an OG Souls fanatic. Maybe some shades of Sekiro with the parry mechanic but that's about it.

EVE is, without a doubt, the hottest protagonist in the history of the medium. Those curves, that jiggle, those jaw-dropping outfits, that angelic face. Putting the censorship controversy aside (I'm always anti-censorship anything) can we take a moment to count our lucky stars that in the year of our Lord 2024 this game even exists? All the thirst trapping in the world wouldn't mean jack shit though if SB didn't have the gameplay to back it up. Luckily, it has that in spades.

The combat in this game *sings*. I was thinking what EVE's movement most reminded me of and it's *water*, her animations are an aquatic ballet of death and destruction. The swordplay has heft and impact, the gunplay is better than it has any right to be. There is no reinventing the wheel here, you've got your multiple skill trees, your QTE moments, your slo-mo perfect dodge, your "rage mode", it just does it all really *really* well and the exceptional DualSense haptics elevate the combat feel to 11.

Traversal on the other hand could feel smoother and I wish there was some kind of vehicular mode of transport for the large stretches in open areas to keep the flow of the game going. This brings me to another criticism of pacing. I absolutely *love* that there is a lot to do/collect but it should have been dealt out better. Once you reach a certain point almost all side quests become available, cue 20 hours doing everything except progressing the story. Would have been better to have half a dozen missions, finish those, progress story, another half dozen open up, repeat. A lot of these side missions leave a lot to be desired too, once again Automata is on a completely different level though there are a couple of standouts here (hello Enya).

Naturally that leads me to the central narrative. It's...alright. Nothing terribly original, none of it's "twists" got much of a reaction out of me. There are some genuinely great characters amongst it's supporting cast though with some truly Kojima-esque design language. The enemies likewise are excellent top to bottom and I appreciated the overall variety, something many games lack. Ultimately it's all just an excuse to wreak havoc with one bad bitch and I'm OK with that.

In conclusion I hope this is the beginning of a new series of games set in the SB universe, there is a lot of potential here with different planets/environments. OST is an instabuy if it gets a physical release. Overall I think I have Stellar Blade as my current number 3 of 2024 behind Rebirth and Unicorn Overlord, it delivered the goods, it's flaws are minor, it's a remarkable release in today's political climate. Fantastic get for Sony, PlayStation is having quite the year with arguably 3 GOTY contenders in it's first four months (Rebirth, HD2, SB), can't wait to see what these devs do next (sequel!).

Last edited:
Others are completing the game in 30 hours and I on other hand just reached Altess Levoire and clocked 30 hours today. I'm in no rush completing this awesome game, taking my time to explore every nook and cranny.
It's tough to stay away from spoilers tho. Trying my best not to fall for it.

SkylineRKR

I beat the game and I went for the first choice.

The combat is extremely good. Especially once it all becomes second nature. The way parries feel, counterattacks, finish moves.. its just right. The same as that tiny slow mo after a fatal gunshot. Eventually the mechanics became second nature, I would hold an attack button after a parry, and then do a /\+O follow up. I also slept on Burst for a bit, until the difficulty started to ramp up. Burst is extremely good. You are pretty much invincible during it, and the O move restores health, while the X move puts you into a buffed state.

Items are also very good. You can throw the knockdown item, and then do a full charge L1+X. Or you can delete balance orbs from the enemy with the sonic nade, leaving less parries for a finisher.

There are also builds, but they are fairly unnoticable. Ultimately I dropped the Reflex, and parries still went fine. The damage boosts seem to be minor as well. It comes down to your skill and tools. I did feel that by the second half of the game, bosses have way too much health and can end you in perhaps 2 or 3 strikes. Its by no means easy. The final 3 or 4 fights were seriously tough. Enemies can be relentless, doing multiple AoE in a row, or when you try to get up.

The low points for me were the 2 open areas. I didn't find them to be particularly fun or interesting. They were just there. All the actual stages were good, except for perhaps
Eidos 9, which has some boring enemy waves. And def. the turret part on the space colony, that runs like ass in Balanced mode and the creators felt aimbot turrets wasn't enough, there are also enemies there though they could be ignored.
But even the platforming I sort of enjoyed in the action stages. They are just superior to the open fields in terms of graphics, lighting, set pieces, bosses etc.

Some issues: The fast travel is cumbersome, the lack of a map in the action stages was questionable, a chunk of side quests wasn't really worth it and running through the mentioned wasteland and desert weren't my thing. They could add something like a hoverboard or booster or something, it would make these parts less boring to scout.

Top Bottom