• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen Totilo: Sega's plans include the hope it'll be used "as a weapon" by platform holders

Yeah, makes sense. I actually have come around to someday it makes the most sense to have Sega be acquired by Apple or Nintendo.

And for the price, I think Sega is one of the most attractive companies to acquire. Sonic, yakuza, football manger, Total War, Persona, SMT, etc, not even mentioning the legacy titles. Sega offers a full range of diversity of gaming that only Nintendo can offer currently.

A acquisition would solve both companies software issues on multiple levels.

Likely, Sega currently looking at the situation where their games can go temporarily exclusive to the highest bidder.

Last edited:

GHound

what is GAF's take on it.
I sure am glad that Microsoft didn't buy Sega on Wednesday so that we could talk about how Atlus was shut down on Friday. Surely people will see how stupid cheering for that stuff is now right?

Don't know how they'd actually intend to "weaponize" themselves at this point either when they have moved away from doing exclusives and clearly nobody cares enough to give up the whole bank to lock down Sega games.

Think Which One GIF

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Explains the DEI push, they want to make themselves attractive to western publishers/potential buyers.

Well whatever, if somebody's gonna buy them, I'd rather it be Nintendo or an outside company like Google/Amazon.

Which billion dollar company wouldn't want to be associated with this?
iu

GHG

Gold Member
Now their dealings with Xbox start to make sense.

They want to use those deals as a means to extract similar deals from other platform holders.

If the plan includes the hope, then there is a problem.

I do find it hilarious that Sonic is unable to become a success in gaming. Games don't sell that much for some reason.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I don't see anyone who would do their ops justice really. Sega has so many great dormant ips but no one is going to touch anything they can't pull recent numbers on sadly.

Woopah

Basically translates to "Microsoft is desperate for Japanese content and so will pay handsomely for marketing deals, while Sony and Nintendo are fighting for JRPGs so we might get some timed exclusivity contracts"

Yeah, makes sense. I actually have come around to someday it men’s the most sense to have Sega be acquired by Apple or Nintendo.

And for the price, I think Sega is one of the most attractive companies to acquire. Sonic, yakuza, football manger, Total War, Persona, SMT, etc, not even mentioning the legacy titles. Sega offers a full range of diversity of gaming that only Nintendo can offer currently.

Likely, Sega currently looking at the situation where their games can go temporarily exclusive to the highest bidder.

Explains the DEI push, they want to make themselves attractive to western publishers/potential buyers.

Well whatever, if somebody's gonna buy them, I'd rather it be Nintendo or an outside company like Google/Amazon.

Which billion dollar company wouldn't want to be associated with this?
iu
I can't see the company being too attractive to Nintendo, too much of its success comes from PC.

Variahunter

Yeah, makes sense. I actually have come around to someday it men’s the most sense to have Sega be acquired by Apple or Nintendo.

I agree that the potential is here for Nintendo, but in reality ?

Sonic would be redundant with Mario in their portfolio. The whole concept of Sonic is not very polished as game design go, particularly for Nintendo.

Yakuza constrained by technical limitations could also be disappointing for fans (I don’t personally care for this series). But it would had a nice variety to their catalogue.

SMT/Persona/Metaphor would offer a nice variety too, I agree with this. Nintendo only makes Fire Emblem these days, and new Paper Mario are no longer RPGs so… Earthbound is also lost in limbo…

Total War/Football Manager now ? Wouldn’t fit at all Nintendo console, it’s very PC oriented. It would get gimped on a Nintendo console. Don’t you need a good (at least correct) CPU to run these strategy games nowadays ?

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I don’t want any dev being acquired by an Nintendo/Sony and even less by Microsoft lol.

Even the exclusivity thing is getting on my nerves with Sony today because while the games they pick are good, the simple fact that they prevent the PC launch for a year or two is maddening, particularly for games like Rise of the Ronin and FFXVI, where the PS5 version look like a turd and would benefit immensely from a cleaner look on the IQ, not even mentioning all the post processing effect like Ray tracing or better shadows could add.

GHG

Gold Member
Too bad for Sega that MS won't be making that kind of deal now that they are going multiplatform. Do they have a plan B?

I think they will keep on doing the deals for Gamepass as they have been for a while now.

But then we don't yet know how much of an impact recent events will have on budgets for that kind of thing.

Darsxx82

I don't know how anyone can interpret this as an initiative to sell or assign exclusives to the highest bidder.....

If you have followed their latest statements in their fiscal years then you will see that this news does not indicate anything new. Its initiative now is to bring its games to as many platforms as possible and along the way it wants to take advantage of the prestige of its IPs so that the different platform owners (in their efforts to claim that Sega games are offered on theirs) help promote the visibility of Sega projects and the marketing and commercial aspect.
In fact, it is something that other Editors (Square itself very reciently) have also dropped in their commitment to multiplatformity and its benefits. That is, Xbox, PS, Nintendo, Amazon, etc. are going to want people to know that Persona, Sonic, etc... appear on their platform and that translates into much greater marketing and visibility.

Last edited:
Basically translates to "Microsoft is desperate for Japanese content and so will pay handsomely for marketing deals, while Sony and Nintendo are fighting for JRPGs so we might get some timed exclusivity contracts"

I can't see the company being too attractive to Nintendo, too much of its success comes from PC.
I disagree. Switch 2 or Switch 3 will not have the first party output that Switch has had.

Sega could step in and supply an additional set number of games annually that would fill in the release schedule. Persona and SMT would solve Nintendo’s Final Fantasy problem. So to speak.

Sega could also assist with game genres that are not in Nintendo’s wheel house.

Sega won't do any time exclusivity going forward. Between Square Enix and Capcom and all Sega's recent moves - it is clearly that they are following Capcom's steps. Even SMT is not Nintendo exclusive anymore.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Oh no, independent company is doing business negotiations 101! Who could've thought? (though JRPG-arm alignment with the least popular platform for the genre Xbox is not a smart move lol).

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Sega won't do any time exclusivity going forward. Between Square Enix and Capcom and all Sega's recent moves - it is clearly that they are following Capcom's steps. Even SMT is not Nintendo exclusive anymore.
Correct.

Whoever has followed the latest reports and statements from various publishers will have detected that the paths lead towards the commitment to bring their games to the greatest number of platforms possible and embrace the benefits of this.
Exclusives are not ruled out, but they will be directed more towards, temporal, exclusivities on suscription services or games from indi publishers/studios (such as Stellar Blade).

Some recent statements from the new head of Square are very indicative for me..... (Not literally) "Visibility, marketing, reaching the ears of the largest number of potential users is very important for success. Launching on a platform although it is not going to be where you accumulate the most sales, it does add up and if the owner of that platform also pays you a large advertising billboard in big cities, cinemas, TV, etc.... well, that favors the sales of the game in general in the rest of platforms"

It is down that path that these statements from SEGA are going.

Cyborg

When did Sega release a game that was considered hype and reached millions in sales? I think it would be in the Dreamcast era or maybe even the 16 bit era. They are a niche player and not relevant at all.

Elios83

They should be really careful because whoring themselves to the highest bidder has rarely been a good strategy, you can't ignore your fanbase and where are the people actually buying your games.
The risk is devaluing the IPs for short term, one-time money bags.

Last edited:

baphomet

No shit, should have been obvious what their goal was when they announced they were resurrecting like 10 dead (but fondly remembered) franchises.

They want all of those games picked up to be added to game pass/ps plus. They want those guaranteed checks. They want to pit the platforms against each other to pay more to get a new Streets of Rage or Jet Set Radio on their subscription service.

Sega could be great for sony. Having sonic to there system aswell as the movies and shows if Sony buys paramount.. not that u have yukuza, Persona series Sony would have RTS and football sim they have sonic racing and would love a light gun game like virtue cop and house of the dead!

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
When did Sega release a game that was considered hype and reached millions in sales? I think it would be in the Dreamcast era or maybe even the 16 bit era. They are a niche player and not relevant at all.
Edit…what that other person said about atlus.

Last edited:
Only thing i can make out of this is they want to achieve same quality as Final Fantasy in PS1-2 era. That type of system sellers that platform holders can use as weapon.

Cannot see it happening though, with how current game development works. These consoles will absorb a cool billion $ of game development money per game to be ahead of the pack.

Sethbacca

They own the Persona IP, which is probably the biggest thing they've done in years.

Fabieter

They can offload the western part of Sega to ms and call it a day.

Woopah

I disagree. Switch 2 or Switch 3 will not have the first party output that Switch has had.

Sega could step in and supply an additional set number of games annually that would fill in the release schedule. Persona and SMT would solve Nintendo’s Final Fantasy problem. So to speak.

Sega could also assist with game genres that are not in Nintendo’s wheel house.
I do think Nintendo wants SMT and Persona on their platform, but not enough to buy a whole publisher.

They'd have to spend money on buying all the PC teams and franchises, Rovio, the whole panchinko machine and all the other stuff they don't have much interest in. Plus the Like A Dragon team don't see themselves as Nintendo people, so they might very well quit.

Perhaps a better move would be for Nintendo to try and only buy the Atlus part.

As an aside, I think Nintendo is making the right moves to keep the Switch 2 first party lineup similar to Switch 1. But I guess we'll see.
The more I think about it, the more I think you are right. I guess this is mostly about marketing deals.
They can offload the western part of Sega to ms and call it a day.
That's one solution!

Now their dealings with Xbox start to make sense.

They want to use those deals as a means to extract similar deals from other platform holders.
This 100%. I remember a while back they made some sort of comment about how other platform holders (PlayStation) don't appreciate them as much. It was some sort of comment like that.

IAmRei

Does a Dreamcast transformer exist as well? If that Dreamcast Swirl is not on the torso, they can keep it.
I think i was looking one of them on net years ago, but i cant find any. Must be dreaming or my memories doesnt serve me right. But i believe i saw there is one. Still cant find by googling though.

Top Bottom