• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson: Assassin's Creed Shadows Pre Orders are very strong

digdug2

9Jcileh.png

I just saw this on Reddit and it sums up Ubisoft's mentality perfectly.

Ah, this reminds me of all those recent Disney/Marvel flicks when they say that presales of tickets are strong after a controversy, and then the movie flops. Or they say the their recent SW show has performed well, yet gets no Season 2. Not to say this will definitely happen here, but preorders, like ticket presales, mean little.

Have you played and finished Ghost Of Tsushima, Rise Of The Ronin, Nioh, Onimusha, Sekiro and Okami yet? Because I'd be playing those long before touching more Ubicrap.

Played through most of Ghosts of Tsushima and Sekiro.

Ghosts is the best I've seen of these types of games.

Didn't really like Nioh.

Will have to try Rise of Ronin.

The last Assassin's creed I played was Valhalla..grew bored with it after getting to that stupid Asgard shit.

lifa-cobex

Exactly correct.

Why bother changing your ways for the better, when that collection of fucking idiots will preorder your game anyway?

The wider gaming market is absolutely retarded.
Yup.

It's the silent majority.
This is why I get fed up with people who dismiss small things like pre-order bonuses by saying,
"it's only a small thing. You don't even need them for the game".

People can't work out that it's company's testing the waters. If you keep dismissing it then it's all going to get worse down the line.
(The whole Dragons Dogma thing)
These people can't see past their own noes.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Have you played and finished Ghost Of Tsushima, Rise Of The Ronin, Nioh, Onimusha, Sekiro and Okami yet? Because I'd be playing those long before touching more Ubicrap.
They're supposedly working on a new Samurai Shodown action RPG. I'd really like to see that.

StereoVsn

The issue is cutting contents. That is what they will do in order to make it more value for the expensive package.
And it’s not just that. They offer “helpers” as MTX for gold, XP and so on. Hence they tweak games to be more grindy and annoying to “encourage” those purchases.

StereoVsn

Are you really going to point fingers at people who have been fans of a franchise that has a dozen games for pre ordering? They are fans. Why would a fan say, I am going to wait for more details before I buy something I am already looking forward to? Way to blame humans for being humans.
Yes, it’s fucking dumb to preorder Ubisoft games and it encourages enshitification of the industry.

Just buy Day 1 if you so are inclined, or at least wait till review embargo. Buying Ubi games sight unseen is just crazy.

ProtoByte

Yes, it’s fucking dumb to preorder Ubisoft games and it encourages enshitification of the industry.

Just buy Day 1 if you so are inclined, or at least wait till review embargo. Buying Ubi games sight unseen is just crazy.
It's not Ubisoft, it's AC. Nobody pre-ordered Skull and Bones or even Watch Dogs.

AC is just one of those franchises that has this level of brand power. I don't like it, but I have less of a problem and and am confused less with people pre-ordering than I do with them excusing mandatory online installs with a disc, MTX, and a whole bunch of other worse practices.

StereoVsn

It's not Ubisoft, it's AC. Nobody pre-ordered Skull and Bones or even Watch Dogs.

AC is just one of those franchises that has this level of brand power. I don't like it, but I have less of a problem and and am confused less with people pre-ordering than I do with them excusing mandatory online installs with a disc, MTX, and a whole bunch of other worse practices.
Preordering Ubisoft games reinforces all the practices you list.

Also, AC games haven’t been consistent in quality and starting with Odyssey (less so in Origins) drive players to buy their MTX for XP gains if people don’t want to grind.

Again, why preorder this stuff? It’s not like a)Games will go out of print and b)A lot of sales are digital.

Is FOMO that fucking big for an Assassin’s Creed 25 (or whatever it is in the series) that one can’t wait a day?

Fake

Ah, this reminds me of all those recent Disney/Marvel flicks when they say that presales of tickets are strong after a controversy, and then the movie flops. Or they say the their recent SW show has performed well, yet gets no Season 2. Not to say this will definitely happen here, but preorders, like ticket presales, mean little.

Still believe people are doing pre-orders just for making fun/trolling.

We don't have gameplay, just a CGI video. Game media is putting a load of fuel into this discussion.

There's also the likelihood of mass pre-orders followed by cancellations to game the system.

Zathalus

Quite uncommon. Don’t push false information.
For Samurai to have relations with other men in the Sengoku period? It wasn't uncommon, look up Samurai shudō and Kagema. Obviously marriage was restricted between a man and a woman, but man on man action occured often enough. It even had fairly popular books and art around the subject, Ihara Saikaku did The Life of An Amorous Man and The Great Mirror of Male Love as some notable works.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
For Samurai to have relations with other men in the Sengoku period? It wasn't uncommon, look up Samurai shudō and Kagema. Obviously marriage was restricted between a man and a woman, but man on man action occured often enough. It even had fairly popular books and art around the subject, Ihara Saikaku did The Life of An Amorous Man and The Great Mirror of Male Love as some notable works.
It happened, but it was very rare. It was not as common as you seem to think and keep claiming.

Not to mention, there is zero evidence to suggest Yasuke was gay or bi.

EDIT: Seems I can’t hyperlink on my phone for some reason. I get home in 12 hours. I will upload references and data then.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
It happened, but it was very rare. It was not as common as you seem to think and keep claiming.

EDIT: Seems I can’t hyperlink on my phone for some reason. I get home in 12 hours. I will upload references and data then.

Bingo. Yet they will push it regardless.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I have no idea why people buy Ubisoft games at launch let alone preorder. You can wait a single month and it will have a sale for 25% off. One of the big sales during the year and it will be 40 - 50% off in less than a year.

Last edited:

Doom85

So the odds of playing a person who just ends up being a hero who makes a major difference in the area in the timeframe within a fictional story, which would be extremely low as virtually all people are your average civilian, soldier, politician, etc. are acceptable, but the odds of playing a gay or bi person within said story, now those low odds are unacceptable for REASONS.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

And before you specify Yasuke (curious, was there evidence he was straight? Fair enough if he was and you have proof, but assuming will get you nowhere), you were applying the same argument for the past few games as well whose player characters were completely fictional.

Seriously, if we’re talking pure probability without moving goalposts on that, almost all PCs of these games should be random nobodys who either never even see combat at all because they’re farmers, merchants, etc. or get a few kills tops. You know, for that wonderful REALISM.

bored tony stark GIF

Seriously, selective suspension of disbelief is getting beyond tiring to hear when people try to use it to make “objective” criticism. If you can’t buy the possibility that a main character is gay/bi, cool beans, but it’s beyond time to stop acting like your level of suspension needs to be everybody’s. If someone can’t buy Batman can be a master martial artist, the best detective ever, a skilled businessman, good at science, etc. before he’s even 30, fair enough, but the Batman fans have every right to be beyond annoyed if that someone then tries to tell everyone they need to share their level of suspension of disbelief.

Good lord, imagine trying to enjoy Samurai Champloo next to someone like that.

Person 1: ”Yo, this Mugen guy rules!”
Person 2: ”But he’s fighting with a wild dancing style like he’s making a hip hop music video?! That’s not historically accurate or realistic!”
Person 1:

Evil Eye Stare GIF by MOODMAN

Zathalus

Shudo:

Kagema:

Ihara Saikaku:

Homosexuality in the Sengoku period:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_Japan. (Some NSFW historical art)

Curious to see what sources you have.

Strawman, gaslighting, and projection. The trifecta.
I’m not jumping into this, but to help you out, you can have a much stronger stance if you don’t resort to saying these buzzwords as a rebuttal during a debate or argument. It feels like a backstep.

I noticed you used the same buzzword tactic to me and a few others here. I’d rather you come out of this convo as a stronger opponent and debater.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
What the fuck has this thread nosedived into, gay samurai ffs :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What the fuck even is this game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What the fuck is even going on in the gaming press :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fuck the lot of this utter bullshit in gaming.

Top Bottom