• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Hype/Info Thread [New Battle Videos and Screenshots]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
XIII-2_Logo.png

Since Square-Enix is choosing to promote this game through small image batch releases every couple of weeks, rather than dump them into the old Official Site thread, they can now go in here. I'll update the OP of course with anything new that comes in, and anything major such as release dates, new trailers, etc can also have separate threads.

As a note, XIII-2 will not be at GamesCom this year. There are some new screenshots coming out on August 11th, but the next build is at TGS as the game is playable.

Official Sites
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13-2/
http://na.square-enix.com/ffxiii-2/
http://www.finalfantasy13-2game.com/

Specs
Developer | Square-Enix
Platforms | PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Staff|
Producer: Yoshinori Kitase
Director: Motomu Toriyama
Scenario: Daisuke Watanabe
Story Advisor: Jun Eishima
Main Programmer: Yoshiki Kashitani
Battle Director: Yusuke Matsui
Art Director Isamu Kamikokuryo
Character Designer: Tetsuya Nomura
Movie Director: Kazuyuki Ikumori, Hiroshi Kamohara
Composer: Masashi Hamauzu, Naoshi Mizuta, Mitsuto Suzuki

Release Date | December (JP), January (NA), Early 2012 (EU)

Videos
January Teaser Trailer
E3 2011 Trailer
Japanese E3 2011 Trailer
Quest for Lightning Trailer NEW

Screenshots
xiii-2_08222011_01.jpg

xiii-2_08222011_02.jpg

xiii-2_08222011_03.jpg

xiii-2_08222011_04.jpg

xiii-2_08222011_05.jpg

36uxy.jpg

4fnv0.jpg

139u0l.jpg

53nse.jpg

6wuvz.jpg

7wudv.jpg

8xuyo.jpg

92u23.jpg

10cnti.jpg

11eu08.jpg

12tnn5.jpg

Artwork
keyarthd.jpg

News
Gameplay videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF9i-KJdGmk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RT1NNy92YcY

North American Box Art:
81%25252BKEp6nSvL._AA1500_.jpg

September/TGS News Thread

NA Pre-order Bonuses:
Pre-order the game at GameStop and receive an alternate costume for Serah, visible throughout the game.

Amazon.com nets you a unique coliseum battle against boss enemy “Omega,” who joins the player’s party afterward.

Best Buy is arguably the most interesting… with a Collectible Hardcover Book.
FINAL FANTASY XIII –Episode i– novella, an original story that ties together the events of FINAL FANTASY XIII and FINAL FANTASY XIII-2.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Would be sweet to see some of the old cast make their debut :D Hope!

But I have a feeling Japan is keeping that to themselves until TGS XD;

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Will become even better than FFXIII (which was fantastic, btw). Can't wait to see more of the "improved" gameplay they've been talking about.

edit: Also, don't give a living shit about the story in this one :lol

Rpgmonkey

Need more elaboration on what we can do outside of going through the story and blowing through fodder enemies along the way, the (hopefully) revamped Crystarium, and the party system.

Hope we get this before or during TGS.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
hateradio said:
What is this? That looks horrible. Final Fantasy XII has more atmosphere than that. :|

A town?

And before this thread gets too far along... let's keep all the garbage away from here. Closer to release there will be a thread for that/comparisons.

Derail here = ban.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
hateradio said:
What is this? That looks horrible. Final Fantasy XII has more atmosphere than that. :|
?

Rabanastre has more atmosphere than anything this generation. The most lively town I've ever been in, in a JRPG.

Jigsaw

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
is the party in this one just going to consist of 2 chars and a monster? boo if so.

who cares as long as snow is nowhere near my party

if he dies this will be my goty 2012

jackdoe

Kind of lame that you can already see the recycled enemies popping up. Wonder how many enemies will actually be new?

MechaX

It's been five years since XIII and that NORA Naruto kid still looks like he's like 13? And in the same clothes at that?

jackdoe said:
Kind of lame that you can already see the recycled enemies popping up. Wonder how many enemies will actually be new?
There was that one frankenstein's monster looking thing and Atlas.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm ready for whatever Square Enix will launch at me!
HYPED!

PS: please give us an european release date already ; ;

jackdoe said:

We've seen many recycled enemies in many sequels in the history of games, I don't see the problem here. The answer to your question: there will be 150 enemies in total, how many FFXIII did have? CALCULATE! :)P)

Can't fucking wait for this game. I knew they would do a sequel as soon as Kitase said that half of XIII had been cut as the game was too long. I'm so glad they did!

jackdoe

MechaX said:
It's been five years since XIII and that NORA Naruto kid still looks like he's like 13? And in the same clothes at that?
Only the main characters get redesigns apparently.

Fimbulvetr said:
There was that one frankenstein's monster looking thing and Atlas.
Hmm. Still, showing off recycled enemies with blatant palette swaps is a bit worrying. I got tired of fighting the same palette swapped enemy in FFXIII and I don't know how forgiving I would be if I had to go through it a second time in a "new" game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What the hell are those NORA guys doing here. Can't they find another game to stuff their annoying presence in? Bah.

On another note, Lightning's costume is weird, as is Serah.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Xtortionist said:
This should be 9/10 easily if the gameplay is as good as the characters' outfits are ridiculous.
lol. Not passing judgement yet, but I'll admit that my bar is set really low.

It's too bad they don't seem to have plans for a New Game+ since they said dialogue options would affect the game's total outcome.

jackdoe said:
Hmm. Still, showing off recycled enemies with blatant palette swaps is a bit worrying. I got tired of fighting the same palette swapped enemy in FFXIII and I don't know how forgiving I would be if I had to go through it a second time in a "new" game.
As long as I don't see any 'Toises or Guis, I think I might be good.

Laughing Banana said:
On another note, Lightning's costume is weird, as is Serah.
Everyone in this game seems to be making some sort of fashion faux-pas. I hope we get alternate costumes or something, but I think that would be quite unlikely.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Speaking of XIII-2's music for a moment, what I heard is extremely pleasing 'till now but... I just hope some recycled tracks I heard in the E3 DEMO was there as placeholder and not final. It'll be so annoying to have music recycled or not even remixed...

Dark Schala said:
I hope we get alternate costumes or something, but I think that would be quite unlikely.

That's actually pretty confirmed. Square Enix Europe few days ago asked its fans what they would like to receive for pre-ordering the game and guess what? DLC costumes was there to be chosen.

KyteTron

Banned
Perfo said:
We've seen many recycled enemies in many sequels in the history of games, I don't see the problem here. The answer to your question: there will be 150 enemies in total, how many FFXIII did have? CALCULATE! :)P)

I want to capture bosses, lol.

jackdoe

Dark Schala said:
Everyone in this game seems to be making some sort of fashion faux-pas. I hope we get alternate costumes or something, but I think that would be quite unlikely.
Serah's is the worst as it reminds me of a stereotypical cheap hookers latex outfit from the movies in white.

Perfo said:

Approximately 203 not counting story bosses.

Minus the hunt bosses, probably 180-something give or take.

Edit: Wait, the listing on the FF wiki is weird. They actually list marks twice.

Approximately 164 not counting story bosses.

Maybe 140-something not counting mark bosses.

cackhyena

Every time I see new screens for another FF, I'm instantly bummed. The artists of 9 and 12 get the shaft and Nomura keeps getting work. As an illustrator, it saddens me. I'm not sure I've ever seen a character design from the guy that I actually like.

cackhyena said:
Every time I see new screens for another FF, I'm instantly bummed. The artists of 9 and 12 get the shaft and Nomura keeps getting work. As an illustrator, it saddens me. I'm not sure I've ever seen a character design from the guy that I actually like.

Well there's Fang and Yuna(even though in this case the costume doesn't fit the setting)..... that's about it.

Edit: Oh, the FF8 cast was pretty grounded.

CcrooK said:
Very hyped for the game, though the new Serah reminds me of Reimi.

http://i52.tinypic.com/s33ryu.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

She has the same VA as Serah....

They both wield bows.

They're also in love with blonde-haired morons who have badly developed character arcs that attempted to deconstruct their characters.

Everything is the same. Everything. Everything! EVERYTHING!

jackdoe

Fimbulvetr said:

They both wield bows.

They're also in love with blonde-haired morons who have badly developed character arcs that attempted to deconstruct their characters.

Everything is the same. EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING!
Except she disappeared in FFXIII so she couldn't grate on your nerves. FFXIII-2 would like to change that.

cackhyena

Fimbulvetr said:
Well there's Fang and Yuna(even though in this case the costume doesn't fit the setting)..... that's about it.

Edit: Oh, the FF8 cast was pretty grounded.
FF8 was alright. For me, FF9 easily beat it out, though. Currently replaying that for the first time since release back when. It still has ten times the charm of any recent FFs. I hope to God they go with someone else for FFs next generation.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
airmangataosenai said:
She's wearing kneesocks that don't go to her feet.
She's clearly testing out a new, impractical style of footless Spanx thigh-highs.

Perfo said:
Square Enix Europe few days ago asked its fans what they would like to receive for pre-ordering the game and guess what? DLC costumes was there to be chosen.
But what if the alternate styles aren't good, or are just palette swaps of the normal costumes? Or what if they're good, but they're SE Europe-only? Or what if people don't select them? D:

I'm kidding. I hope the alternates are good should people vote for them.

Xamdou

Fimbulvetr said:

They both wield bows.

I said wow..

LowParry

Fimbulvetr said:

They both wield bows.

1676yp1.jpg

Top Bottom