• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Hype/Info Thread [New Battle Videos and Screenshots]

Really looking forward to this. I love everything i've seen about it. The monster collecting for use during battle, is a cool concept for a Final Fantasy. The Towns are obviously making a welcome return. I enjoyed the characters of XIII, so to see them again and continue their story is something to look forward to. The music is.... different but from what i've heard of it, I like it. The game seems to be taking some serious artistic choices that may not gel with everyone, but it's nice to see Square trying new things and leaving their 'safe-zone'.

Fingers crossed we still get several ace looking CGI sequences, as they are a huge selling point for me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
cackhyena said:
Every time I see new screens for another FF, I'm instantly bummed. The artists of 9 and 12 get the shaft and Nomura keeps getting work. As an illustrator, it saddens me. I'm not sure I've ever seen a character design from the guy that I actually like.

Protip: Nomura has almost nothing to do with this game outside of drawing the faces for the main characters only.

Droplet

MechaX said:
It's been five years since XIII and that NORA Naruto kid still looks like he's like 13? And in the same clothes at that?

He's 22. I bet Noel isn't even that old.

but uh...hype hype hype (need to finish the original. I'm on the last chapter but man the battle system really turns into "spam auto-battle!" after you take a break and I'm not sure if I want to go through that)

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Fimbulvetr said:
Approximately 203 not counting story bosses.

Minus the hunt bosses, probably 180-something give or take.

Edit: Wait, the listing on the FF wiki is weird. They actually list marks twice.

Approximately 164 not counting story bosses.

Maybe 140-something not counting mark bosses.

Only 10 new monsters?:\
Maybe they didn't count color swaps...

Anyway, I guess the new monsters will be mostly in the new areas, that is Lightning's dimension, leaving the rest to the usual cocoon and pulse's fauna.

Perfo said:
Only 10 new monsters?:\
Maybe they didn't count color swaps...

Anyway, I guess the new monsters will be mostly in the new areas, that is Lightning's dimension, leaving the rest to the usual cocoon and pulse's fauna.

Well some enemies(like cocoon soldiers) may not be used again since they aren't really opposed to you this time. Same for their robo-animals.

Perfo

Fimbulvetr said:
Well some enemies(like cocoon soldiers) may not be used again since they aren't really opposed to you this time. Same for their robo-animals.

Mhh... that's fair then. Perhaps there will be something like 100 from the previous game and 50 new ones, seems reasonable enough. Anyway, I'm not really anticipating the gotta-catch-em'all mechanics introduced, never been a fan of those. I'm still here hoping for a 3 characters party plus monsters -.-'

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
maeda said:
Do they plan to compress CG cutscenes to hell for the Xbox version?
Does Xbox plan to adopt the mighty power of Blu?

maeda

BocoDragon said:
Does Xbox plan to adopt the mighty power of Blu?
You're being ridiculous. It's not like LO or BD had such shitty video quality. SE used some garbage compression techniques.

Gibbles17

Bleh January is too damn far away. Like most of you, I thoroughly enjoyed XIII, despite it's flaws. Still an awesome game.

As someone mentioned, is anyone aware of whether the party will consist of 2 members (primarily Noel and Serah) or 3 in addition to the 2 playable monsters? Also, I believe someone confirmed that Lightning will be playable at some point but I'm not sure if it was mentioned whether she'd return as the "party leader". I'm concerned that it's looking more and more like Noel and Serah will be the leads throughout the game, with potentially no other interchangeable party members save the monsters and eventually Lightning. Not really feeling either of them, hopefully I'm wrong, would love to see some character variety, new and old.

Except for Team NORA, their inclusion and frequent appearances in released footage continues to baffle the shit out of me.

Sorry for my being out of loop as I haven't been keeping up with this game, but this takes place FIVE YEARS later!? Wooow. I was thinking 1 or 2 at most.

LOL. No wonder we haven't seen Snow. I doubt anyone could stay married to him for 5 years!

I like how they all have the same clothes on. It'll be hilarious if Hope gets some major redesign though while everyone else looks exactly the same though.

Cheska

Gibbles17 said:
As someone mentioned, is anyone aware of whether the party will consist of 2 members (primarily Noel and Serah) or 3 in addition to the 2 playable monsters? Also, I believe someone confirmed that Lightning will be playable at some point but I'm not sure if it was mentioned whether she'd return as the "party leader". I'm concerned that it's looking more and more like Noel and Serah will be the leads throughout the game, with potentially no other interchangeable party members save the monsters and eventually Lightning. Not really feeling either of them, hopefully I'm wrong, would love to see some character variety, new and old.

Wondering the same thing. I've always been a fan of bigger parties because I love the diversity and different fighting styles, so if I'm only going to be able to play as Noel and Serah for most of the game, then I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Get hype. Nice way to start of the 1st month of 2012.

Perfo

Megidolaon said:
I like how they all have the same clothes on. It'll be hilarious if Hope gets some major redesign though while everyone else looks exactly the same though.

All major characters will have a major redesign, though I guess Hope will be the only one really changing phisically. Afterall, 5 years are not enough for Light to be on wheelchair :D

Nora Kisaragi said:
Is anyone else hoping the rest of Team NORA is playable in this game?
That's what I'm hoping for the most. I need permanently playable Gadot & Lebreau in my life.

But first I need to know that the third spot isn't almost always going to be taken up by monsters with only occasional human guests that don't stick around. That would blow.

Thoraxes

Why does she have two pendants now?
Also, did Noel give her a new chain?
I just don't want poor Snow to get NTR'd by the new guy.

Takao said:
4fnv0.jpg

The hair on this guy, bwahahaha.
Snow's friends have the dumbest hairstyles.

Perfo

Thoraxes said:
Why does she have two pendants now?

Snow's one :p

He's appearantly nowhere to be found, probably the idiot gone running in search for Light. I hope Noel steals his place and kills all the members of NORA team too. Best protagonist evah if so! (XD)

Thoraxes

Perfo said:
Snow's one :p

He's appearantly nowhere to be found, probably the idiot gone running in search for Light. I hope Noel steals his place and kills all the members of NORA team too. Best protagonist evah if so! (XD)
But but, Snow said that "Heroes never die!"

Thoraxes said:
To put it really bluntly, without a super in depth translation, basically one person steals a person from a previously established relationship.
So, cheating? Why use an acronym of a Japanese word? Well, doesn't matter.

I guess I must one of the few the liked Snow, and didn't mind Hope that much. :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
jackdoe said:
Only the main characters get redesigns apparently.

Hmm. Still, showing off recycled enemies with blatant palette swaps is a bit worrying. I got tired of fighting the same palette swapped enemy in FFXIII and I don't know how forgiving I would be if I had to go through it a second time in a "new" game.
It's pregnant Lulu all over again.

I don't really mind the sequel thing, but when you go to the point of absolutely refusing to just alter the character models at all when the game's storyline absolutely calls for it to avoid breaking character, it just screams "lazy rehash" the way a lot of FFX-2 did.

_dementia said:
Snow's friends have the dumbest hairstyles.
I'd say they have some of the silliest, least inspired designs I've ever seen S-E put out. I mean, that one blue anime haired guy looks like someone you create as a joke in the Oblivion character creator.

Pooya

a small picture of Nomura's drawing of 6 FNC characters in this weeks DPS is out. it's quite pretty.

Machina and Rem are in the front, then Serah, Noel and Lightning behind them and Noctis is far far behind everyone else, order of release dates? xD

Shadow780

miladesn said:
a small picture of Nomura's drawing of 6 FNC characters in this weeks DPS is out. it's quite pretty.

Machina and Rem are in the front, then Serah, Noel and Lightning behind them and Noctis is far far behind everyone else, order of release dates? xD

Without the hair, they all look alike.

Thoraxes

Sgt.Pepper said:
So, cheating? Why use an acronym of a Japanese word? Well, doesn't matter.

I guess I must one of the few the liked Snow, and didn't mind Hope that much. :p
Basically cheating yeah, but it's more a situational concept than anything. It's just a lot easier to put into one word, because it doesn't necessarily mean infidelity, though that can become a possible consequence.

Anywho, I like Snow too! Maybe he'll have a full beard or something awesome like that. For what a lot of people saw as flaws in some of the characters, the way they each grew out of their own insecurities was nice over the course of the story, Hope included.

Pooya

I think they are going to to reveal Snow tomorrow, going by the pic they released (new chain something).

Labadal

I want to be excited, but I just can't. I did enjoy FFXIII, but it was still a disappointment after FFXII. Plus it killed my PS3. Plus, Serah being the main character doesn't bode well. Also don't like any of the character designs I have seen in FFXIII-2 sp far. I won't judge FFXIII-2 yet, but so far I can't get myself hyped after the game that was FFXIII.

Kaizer

Banned
Despite not really enjoying FFXIII, I'm actually really excited and pumped for XIII-2, as it looks like all complaints fans had with the first one have been taken into consideration and are now being improved upon. Works for me, can't wait to get this in January.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
maeda said:
You're being ridiculous. It's not like LO or BD had such shitty video quality. SE used some garbage compression techniques.

I think the difference there was that both of those were optimized for 360 from the start, where as FFXIII was not.

XIII-2's lead platform is also the PS3, so don't be surprised if Square opts to use Bink encoding again on the 360 version.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
so it uses the same paradigm shifts again?!

Yes. The battle system was one of the few universally praised parts of XIII so they kept it for this sequel.

Top Bottom