• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

That would be a trolling of epic levels if 3D mode isn't enabled anymore in the second part of the game.

Shit, I've been getting the feeling that it's going to turn out that Kojima just completely changed everything just to fuck with people, and that's why they haven't been showing it. It's gonna be like a MGS2 thing.

gconsole

I'm a bit surprise that nobody complain about how much jaggie this game has. It's like the game is running at 60x30 resolution or something. Really really bad.

Za23

The old build excuse has been used so many times that I'll only believe the game is much better when I see it.

Well, here are some screens from the final build. [Link]

Shouldn't these prove the demo is from an old build? Just look at Snake in the 5th picture and look at that part in the demo.

mik83kuu

Banned
I have never played past the demo sequence and I love the modern era MGS games so I'm going to buy this just to play it once through. FPS was not that bad, but definitely not good either.

revgored

Neo Member
I would love to see the Ac!d series ported to 3DS. This is the optimum platform not only for the type of game Ac!d is, but for Konami's try at 3D with the second game in the series.

For real, I'd purchase them both again on the 3DS in a heartbeat.

Grakl

The old build excuse has been used so many times that I'll only believe the game is much better when I see it.

But you can see it? And I believe there is a reason the "excuse" has been used so must this thread. I misspoke - you can't see a video of the new build right now, but there is the OP. Oh well.

Downloading the demo as we speak. Maybe I'm being somewhat elitist here approaching it from the perspective of someone who owns more than one gaming console, but with the PS3 HD collection, and upcoming Vita release, this seems like such a redundant option. I wish it at least came with MGS1 or something.

Emitan

I think I found a machine gun in that edge underneath the bridge, but I can't find it in my inventory.

So this is the 2011 E3 build? I hope the framerate is better on the final version.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The ignorance in this thread is unacceptable. This is a the e3 demo from last year.
Oh yeah, because the circle pad pro was presented at E3 last year.

If they added support for that device I think it's pretty clear that this code has been touched and is, in fact, NOT the E3 build.

I think it's strange that people's hopes are hinging so explicitly on the hope that this is an old build. What exactly do you think is going to change? I can almost guarantee that the framerate is going to be 20 fps like this demo. Perhaps with less slowdown, but it isn't going to be a smooth 30 fps. They released Peace Walker at ~20 fps with tearing so why expect them to find that unacceptable here when this is just a port?

The textures are all changed from the PS2 version. Do you think they would make DIFFERENT place holder textures?

Seriously, what do you think will change in the final build?

Shouldn't these prove the demo is from an old build? Just look at Snake in the 5th picture and look at that part in the demo.
It looks very much like that in the demo.

I think I found a machine gun in that edge underneath the bridge, but I can't find it in my inventory.

So this is the 2011 E3 build? I hope the framerate is better on the final version.

Yeah, I don't think they allow you to use it in the demo. I found it too lol.

M3d10n

Based on the terribad demo, the only way to actually know if the final thing runs better or not is to wait for people to post videos of it online after release (specially later areas and cutscenes).

Oh yeah, because the circle pad pro was presented at E3 last year.

If they added support for that device I think it's pretty clear that this code has been touched and is, in fact, NOT the E3 build.

I think it's strange that people's hopes are hinging so explicitly on the hope that this is an old build. What exactly do you think is going to change? I can almost guarantee that the framerate is going to be 20 fps like this demo. Perhaps with less slowdown, but it isn't going to be a smooth 30 fps. They released Peace Walker at ~20 fps with tearing so why expect them to find that unacceptable here when this is just a port?

The textures are all changed from the PS2 version. Do you think they would make DIFFERENT place holder textures?

Seriously, what do you think will change in the final build?

We've already shown you two sources that praise the games performance/visuals. In gameblogs case, they even said they were disappointed in the previous builds. You've already made up your mind it seems.

dark10x

Here's a comparison.

The one on the left is an off-screen capture. Looks fine, doesn't it? I think it's pretty clear that, barring differences from the camera, they look EXACTLY the same.

Untitled.png

So, what does it prove again?

We've already shown you two sources that praise the games performance/visuals. In gameblogs case, they even said they were disappointed in the previous builds. You've already made up your mind it seems.
Yes, but those comparison shots are supposedly from the final build, right? If so, I think the comparison above proves my point.

Indeed. People reading what they want to read.
Seriously, what do you think will be different in the final version? I've been around GAF for 12 years now and this kind of thing has happened time and again. Barring a few very rare circumstances, this hope that the final version is a big improvement never pans out. Like I said, they may stabilize it a bit, but I don't believe for a second that it will suddenly run at 30 fps or improve visually.

That said, I don't really think the demo looks THAT bad in person. When I played it myself I was surprised by it after seeing videos only. It still looks much nicer than Peace Walker on PSP and runs similarly. It's much nicer than the footage we saw last fall.

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but does the 3DS version have all of the radio conversations and bonus stuff like the nightmare minigame? I haven't read anything about this and I thought they might have had to cut stuff to fit the game onto a cartridge.

I've had a hankering to play Snake Eater again recently and while just getting the HD collection is the better buy, I'll likely never play Peace Walker or 2, and while I'll wait for final reviews to see how it ends up I'd rather have a portable version. If they had to make cuts though I'll just go with the 360 version.

I canceled my preorder. I'd much rather play this on my shiny new Vita with dual stick controls and good framerate. The 3D didn't do much for me in this version.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
That's... weird. I assumed the box was empty because I didn't have any more weapons. Weird...

KOJIMAAAAA

Yea, I couldn't find my sniper rifle when I first picked it up. The menus here take a second to get used to. Like, they're easier to use and access than the PS2 version but also kinda confusing.

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but does the 3DS version have all of the radio conversations and bonus stuff like the nightmare minigame? I haven't read anything about this and I thought they might have had to cut stuff to fit the game onto a cartridge.
I doubt the 3ds version will have them. Neither the nightmare minigame or the hilarious-ass dialogue afterwards with sigint were in the HD collection.

Peff

Wow, you people are STILL with the old build shit? The E3 demo had no on-screen prompts whatsoever, the TGS demo had different icons than the current demo, it's compatible with the CCP and it's translated to FIGS, but I guess in all that tinkering and testing they somehow forgot to touch the framerate at all. Just get over it already.

Emitan

They can use 4GB cartridges if not larger

Glix

I guess I just love this game and haven't played it in forever, and I LOVE the 3D effect on the 3DS...

but I thought the demo was great. I can't wait for the full game.

Wow, you people are STILL with the old build shit? The E3 demo had no on-screen prompts whatsoever, the TGS demo had different icons than the current demo, it's compatible with the CCP and it's translated to FIGS, but I guess in all that tinkering and testing they somehow forgot to touch the framerate at all. Just get over it already.

Tell that to those that actually have played the final build that say it's improved.

Ridley327

They can use 4GB cartridges if not larger

This was the first game to be announced as being on a 4GB, even though RE:R ended up beating them to the market. IIRC, the system has the ability to end up with 32GB cards, should the need ever present itself.

Frost_Ace

If those screen in the op are from the final build...it doesn't look much better, and those textures...God they look like they are from a poor cellphone port :|

BiggNife

I've had a hankering to play Snake Eater again recently and while just getting the HD collection is the better buy, I'll likely never play Peace Walker or 2, and while I'll wait for final reviews to see how it ends up I'd rather have a portable version. If they had to make cuts though I'll just go with the 360 version.

Snake's Nightmare (aka Guy Savage) isn't in the HD Editions, so I'm going to guess it's not in the 3DS version either. I think there was some technical explanation as to why they couldn't include it but I can't remember.

As for the codec conversations, I don't see why any would be taken out. For comparison, RE Revelations is filled to the brim with voice acting, and I think 3DS carts are large enough that size isn't a real issue anymore.

Although I will say that if you love MGS3 there is no reason why you should avoid playing Peace Walker.

Yet people keep swearing up and down that "it's the E3 build!!111" when it's clearly not.

It doesn't reallt matter what build it's from(don't care about who is right or wrong about specifics), what should matter is that the final version is better to whatever degree than this demo and I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Not shocked though.

jackdoe

Eww. Just tried the demo. Framerate drops during cutscenes is plain inexcusable. Hell, shit quality encoded FMV would be more acceptable than a cutscene that runs at sub 20fps and gives you migraines.

That being said, Snake's new hair is nice. However, the framerate kills any of the minor improvements to Snake's character model.

Snake's Nightmare (aka Guy Savage) isn't in the HD Editions, so I'm going to guess it's not in the 3DS version either. I think there was some technical explanation as to why they couldn't include it but I can't remember.

As for the codec conversations, I don't see why any would be taken out. For comparison, RE Revelations is filled to the brim with voice acting, and I think 3DS carts are large enough that size isn't a real issue anymore.

Although I will say that if you love MGS3 there is no reason why you should avoid playing Peace Walker.

Wow, I figured the HD collection versions of the games would have everything. And if I remember right Konami had trouble squeezing MGS3 onto a DVD, so I wasn't sure if that would be enough room or not. If you add up every radio conversation I would assume that Snake Eater has far, far more spoken dialogue than RE.

I played Peace Walker on PSP, it was really good, once was enough though. If I got the HD collection I don't think I'd ever play through it again.

Download just finished for me, I'm going in with low expectations.

dwu8991

Banned
It's pretty good the demo, love the 3D effect as you walked past the grass.

Nothing too bad about the controls except having to use the d pad to change guns.

Nintendo really did screw up by not having a second circle pad.

Also, the colours feel some what washed out.

Ridley327

Wow, I figured the HD collection versions of the games would have everything. And if I remember right Konami had trouble squeezing MGS3 onto a DVD, so I wasn't sure if that would be enough room or not. If you add up every radio conversation I would assume that Snake Eater has far, far more spoken dialogue than RE.

I played Peace Walker on PSP, it was really good, once was enough though. If I got the HD collection I don't think I'd ever play through it again.

Download just finished for me, I'm going in with low expectations.

MGS3 obviously has more voiced dialogue, but RE:R has to take into account that it has six VA tracks and about an hour's worth of FMV in both 2D and 3D. With that in mind, it certainly makes a lot of sense why RE:R needed the 4GB card.

OmegaZero

Could Edge have meant the 3D aspect or in-game content when they said "even the HD update doesn't look as good as this portable treatment"?

jett

D-Member

It uses a completely different engine from MGS3, they would have had to port that too. On the PS2 the console actually does a sort of soft reset to load Guy Savage, it's pretty much a different game.

dark10x

I have no idea if they're right, but let us assume they are: How unbelievably stupid would Konami have to be to (deliberately) put out a crappy demo, when the final version is (supposedly) so much better ?
They wouldn't and they didn't. It is absolutely 100% impossible that this is the E3 build. There are simply too many added features for that to be possible.

ryan-ts

Jan 24th small preview excerpt from IGN

Momentarily putting aside the advancements the 3DS version brings to the table, the game itself still holds up amazingly well. A faithful remake of the Subsistence edition of MGS 3, the game looks as good to better as it did in its original version.

Link

RedSwirl

Honestly, overall, I liked it. The ONLY thing that sucks is the framerate. If this truly is old code and they've tightened that up since then, then I think it'll still be worth buying, even considering the HD version.

The controls and UI are a significant improvement over the PS2 and HD version. They did a really good job streamlining all the different systems on the touch screen. The MGS4/PW aiming system is also a much better fit for MGS3 than the old way. The CQC system is also A LOT less confusing. The outdated oldschool MGS controls were the only major weakness of MGS3, and they've pretty much gotten rid of that problem here.

It would be badass though if the Vita version ended up having these controls.

Top Bottom