• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

Eusis

Man, this seems to be enough proof to me that Nintendo actively IS forcing Start/Select to be mirrored, given Select had always been THE radio button. I hope this isn't the policy through the system's life, because I'd rather avoid a button ALWAYS being a redundant mirror.

... And I will always be baffled at Kojima Productions's insistence on throwing out a perfectly fine camera system for single stick controls in favor of placing a dual analog camera system on a game released for those with only one. At least they added Peace Walker features rather than just making it Snake Eater with a misplaced camera system. Though, the vertical resolution being halved COULD undermine an overhead angle anyway.

watershed

Banned
The demo was okay. I'm glad they've done some work to update the controls and presentation. It seems to be a good effort port of a ps2 game instead of a crappy port like Tales. The CPP works really well with the demo, better than RE:R. But I don't think I'll be picking this up.

OmegaZero

About the Select and Start buttons...
On GameFAQs, the developers of Shinobi answered several questions and promoted the game.
The primary gameplay programmer had this to say about the Start and Select buttons:

"Start and Select always do the same thing in all 3DS titles, its the way the hardware is set up - Select only exists for backwards compatibility, but for 3DS titles there is only "Start" and the Select button just sends the same signal."

dwu8991

Banned
The intro looks much better than the actual game.

I think Konami should've stuck with the FPS point of view like in MGS 4 rather than the third person point of view.

abasm

I swear, MGS3 was practically MADE for stereoscopy and touch screen menus. This port makes a lot of sense, and it controls surprisingly well even without the CCP. It's a real shame that it seems locked at 15 FPS. I mean, the PS2 game seemed to hover around 20-30 FPS, but the shift is far more jarring after coming off of the solid-60 HD port.

If the final game runs at 30 fps, then I will definitely pick this up.
At half price. I can't justify paying $40 for a game I already own in the (also $40) HD collection.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Totally. I still have a bunch of questions that the demo didn't answer.
The most important of which is "what extra content is there?"

Yeah playing Virtuous Mission isn't exactly the best way to sell me on buying MGS3 again.

First time using 3D on the system and my eyes hurt. What I could see looked cool tho

Xav

Played the demo and just like at the Eurogamer Expo last year I'm still wondering what this game is doing on the 3DS. Long ass cut-scenes on a handheld game, graphics that are too demanding on 3DS hardware, overly complex controls and so forth.
I really don't understand why Konami seem hell bent on bringing the console MGS experience to a handhelds, MGS3, MGPW & MGPO all fail in my opinion as handheld games. Just make a game that is aware of the limitations of the hardware, you know like you did with MGS on GameBoy Color. Fantastic little game that was perfectly suited to the system it was made for.

Oddduck

Played the demo and just like at the Eurogamer Expo last year I'm still wondering what this game is doing on the 3DS. Long ass cut-scenes on a handheld game, graphics that are too demanding on 3DS hardware, overly complex controls and so forth.

I don't see why the 3DS hardware should be blamed. Resident Evil Revelation's graphics didn't seem too demanding for 3DS hardware.

backlot

I'm not so great at being stealthy...

Unless using tranqs on everyone counts...

Totally counts as long as you hide the bodies.

I liked the demo, though. People saying the controls are unplayable must not have played Peace Walker because they're almost exactly the same. I'm probably not even gonna bother with the CCP.

braves01

Banned
I have MGS3 for PS2, but never played much since I didn't really like it (I heard subsistence was better for some reason, and I've beaten and enjoyed, 1,2, and even 4). However, I liked the demo quite a bit. Controls are a little hokey and the framerate is underwhelming, but I could see myself buying this. Forced 2D is silly though.

Eusis

It would be kind of cool if
the game went into forced 2d after snake loses an eye
I half expect they'd compromise there: first person will PURELY be 2D after that, while third person remains 3D.

By the way, while I know it's best to play it safe I'm not sure something depicted on the cover qualifies as a spoiler anymore.

Lingitiz

I really don't understand why Konami seem hell bent on bringing the console MGS experience to a handhelds, MGS3, MGPW & MGPO all fail in my opinion as handheld games. Just make a game that is aware of the limitations of the hardware, you know like you did with MGS on GameBoy Color. Fantastic little game that was perfectly suited to the system it was made for.

I don't think the 3ds can't handle it, Revelations looks much better this game and runs well enough. Seems to be just a bad port job. I'll reserve full judgment until the full game is out, considering the Edge review.

I half expect they'd compromise there: first person will PURELY be 2D after that, while third person remains 3D.

By the way, while I know it's best to play it safe I'm not sure something depicted on the cover qualifies as a spoiler anymore.

Yes, i was just playing safe. Plus anyone who knows anything about MGS would know this already, but since i saw some people saying it was their first MGS, bah, i figured i wouldn't spoil whatever potential surprise there would be here.

In any case, it would be a unique occasion for kojima to do one of his favorite things (break the fourth wall, in a sense), but i am assuming it would hurt the point of the game too much to be worth it. I don't remember, how many hours after that? Quite a few, no?

Xav

I don't see why the 3DS hardware should be blamed. Resident Evil Revelation's graphics didn't seem too demanding for 3DS hardware.

You're always going to get better results with games made for the hardware than games ported over. Try porting Resident Evil 4 to the 3DS and I bet it will probably look & run worse than Resident Evil: The Mercenaries let alone Revelations.
I'm sure the 3DS hardware can handle MGS 3, I just don't feel it's up to the task of running a port of MGS 3. Then again this is Konami, they couldn't even get the original Xbox to run MGS 2 properly.

Ridley327

Yes, i was just playing safe. Plus anyone who knows anything about MGS would know this already, but since i saw some people saying it was their first MGS, bah, i figured i wouldn't spoil whatever potential surprise there would be here.

In any case, it would be a unique occasion for kojima to do one of his favorite things (break the fourth wall, in a sense), but i am assuming it would hurt the point of the game too much to be worth it. I don't remember, how many hours after that? Quite a few, no?

I think that if you're playing normally, that's about the last quarter of the game.

web01

I played the game and I was honestly pretty damn impressed.
The 3D does have some great depth and visually the game is better looking than Peace Walker I did not notice the frame rate drops but the grass pop was a little annoying.

The controls are good but they should have zoom level for scoped weapons on dpad up and down ather than on the touch screen.

Just downlaoded and..

No, no, no, no, no....

I am done with one analog or using the face buttons for the camera/aiming If I decide I want this I will have to either get the frankenstick or wait for a revised 3ds.

Played 5 seconds and turned it off.

Tenbatsu

Man, this seems to be enough proof to me that Nintendo actively IS forcing Start/Select to be mirrored, given Select had always been THE radio button. I hope this isn't the policy through the system's life, because I'd rather avoid a button ALWAYS being a redundant mirror.
Same goes for MH3G

Just downlaoded and..

No, no, no, no, no....

I am done with one analog or using the face buttons for the camera/aiming If I decide I want this I will have to either get the frankenstick or wait for a revised 3ds.

Played 5 seconds and turned it off.

Don't you think that's a bit unfair? I mean, I didn't like the controls with the face buttons all that much, but it wasn't so bad that I rage quit after less than a minute.

Glass Joe

Uh wow this demo might have cost Konami a sale.

Frame rate isn't great, especially for cutscenes (why?) and when spinning the camera. Using the buttons to aim seems crummy, especially in the heat of action, and it's a struggle to cross the bridge because of the gyro gimmick.

Granted, I've never really played much of the Metal Gear series, but that's why I was excited to give this demo a shot. But so far, not impressed.

Uh wow this demo might have cost Konami a sale.

Frame rate isn't great, especially for cutscenes (why?) and when spinning the camera. Using the buttons to aim seems crummy, especially in the heat of action, and it's a struggle to cross the bridge because of the gyro gimmick. .

I didn't notice the gyro thing. The icon appeared on the screen and nothing happened. Do you only go off balance if you move the system?

Kazerei

Banned
Y'all should seriously consider the MGS HD Collection. It's only $40 and has the two best games in the series. The 3DS version is just shoddy.

Don't you think that's a bit unfair? I mean, I didn't like the controls with the face buttons all that much, but it wasn't so bad that I rage quit after less than a minute.

I dealt with that struggle for About 7 years with the PSP. And Aldo with Metsl Gear games on the PSP.

I'm done dealing with it. I'll either wait or get the hd collectin on vita

StuBurns

Banned
There's no mention of it being an old version on the new KojiPro podcast, or that it will be improved for the final version, they say to download to "see what the hype's about".

CorvoSol

I'm enjoying Peace Walker right now. The boss fights are easily the least most exciting boss fights in the series, though. I mean, I've been blowing up helicopters since the first game, Kojima! Don't you have any wacky bosses with quirky personalities for me to fight?

I will say, though, that the game's story is pretty great for me. All this business of reliving a certain past event is pretty tense. Also, I kinda like Coldman a lot.

OmegaZero

You know, some of the environmental textures are actually better in the demo then in the PS2 games. o.o
I just broke out my copy of Subsistence and decided to compare some of the visual aspects.
To my surprise, while the colors are more bland and the contrast is worse, many of the textures on the trees and ground are actually slightly more detailed.

When you take a step back, it looks much more blurry due to the poor resolution and lack of contrast.

metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-the-naked-sample-20100615024846789_640w.jpg

Never forget.

indeed.

Effect

I'm not a big MGS fan (played MGS1 and part of MGS2 but that's it) but gave the demo a shot. Ugh. Horrible experience. Not a big stealth fan but controls have to be just right for me to enjoy it. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC) was great on this front but that's a PC game with keyboard controls. Konami knew full well what the controls on the 3DS were going to be. They could have picked a different game, automatic camera maybe, adapted the controls. Another problem is I can't really see anything clearly. Everything blends together to much for me.

After seeing what Capcom was able to do with Resident Evil: The Mercenaries and Revelations I can't accept what Konami put out. I was really iffy about buying it in the first place but it's a "no buy" for certain now.

Zebra

If the final build really doesn't offer much of a difference from this demo, then I'll likely be waiting for a price drop. It just wasn't a great experience.

The framerate during the cutscenes made me nauseous. The 3D effect seemed nonexistent. The camera control was frustrating.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Apart from the shoddy framerate, I enjoyed it. Looking down iron sights in 3D would have been awesome, but at least it makes some sense to be 2D. I noticed the bridge section was also 2D, but it was necessary since you have to move the 3DS which would break the 3D effect. The smooth transitions from 2D to 3D and back were nice as well.

The only MGS game I've played is Peace Walker, so I'm used to using the buttons for the camera. If they did fix the framerate for the final build, I'll probably pick this up after a price drop. Also, I'm pretty sure I'll get the CPP eventually.

Kangi

Demo seemed... clunky, for reasons already listed. Hope the actual game is better.

Also, I infer from my experience that I am awful at stealth games; I wasted all of my tranquilizer ammo by the second-to-last area. Thankfully, Snake can take more bullets than Andrew Jackson.

Christ. That's annoying. Is the game full of jaggies because he has bad contact lenses?

No, in actuality the jungle is perfectly fine, with no jaggies in sight. However, the Boss' defection causes Snake to perceive his environment in a manner that is related to his conflicting emotions (eg. jagged ends on rocks and trees represent his pain at being 'backstabbed' by The Boss).

Tyeforce

Apart from the shoddy framerate, I enjoyed it. Looking down iron sights in 3D would have been awesome, but at least it makes some sense to be 2D. I noticed the bridge section was also 2D, but it was necessary since you have to move the 3DS which would break the 3D effect. The smooth transitions from 2D to 3D and back were nice as well.

The only MGS game I've played is Peace Walker, so I'm used to using the buttons for the camera. If they did fix the framerate for the final build, I'll probably pick this up after a price drop. Also, I'm pretty sure I'll get the CPP eventually.
But...it isn't necessary at all. You barely have to move the system at all. It's very easy to keep your eyes level with the screen so the 3D effect doesn't break, and if you're only moving the system a tiny bit, you shouldn't even have to worry about the 3D breaking. Other games use the gyro with 3D on and it works just fine. Take Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, for example. It uses the gyroscope in some events extensively, making you tilt the system quite a bit, but the 3D still works just fine even when you're moving the system around.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I cancelled my preorder. I couldn't take the non-dual sticks for camera control. If the game had the static camera that MGS 3 OG edition had, I'd probably stick with it. It doesn't have that does it?

Ketch

So played through the demo, it's pretty short... I was expecting the cutscene to trigger when you finally make it to Sokolov. MGS3 is my favorite from the series and I haven't played it since PS2 so I'll probably be picking this up. I wish they left the original camera angle, I would prefer it to the camera control with ABXY.

A couple questions:
I've only played the original PS2 version of MGS3, is this a port of that? Or one of the re-releases? In short, what extra content will this have over the original?

How do I delete the demo off my 3DS?

If the game had the static camera that MGS 3 OG edition had, I'd probably stick with it. It doesn't have that does it?

I don't think so. I wish it did so bad.

Top Bottom