• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

Peff

OmegaZero

They wouldn't and they didn't. It is absolutely 100% impossible that this is the E3 build. There are simply too many added features for that to be possible.

Assuming you're talking about the E3 2011 build, which features are we talking about exactly? o_O
From what I've seen of offscreen footage, they're the exact same thing.

People in this thread who are waiting for the final game before judging it are making way to much sense, when it's clearly the time for torches and pitchforks...

Tyeforce

So...this demo is my first experience with Metal Gear Solid, and I have absolutely no idea what to do, lol. How are you supposed to get passed the bridge?

Also, why is 3D disabled when you go into FPS mode?

DSmalls84

In game image quality/fps doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would and the controls seem decent(played Peace Walker a good bit on psp.) Frame rate for the cutscenes was pretty terrible though. If that's improved I will probably still pick it up. My main knock against Snake Eater was always having to dig into menus to change camo, and having the extra screen actually is pretty nice.

OmegaZero

So...this demo is my first experience with Metal Gear Solid, and I have absolutely no idea what to do, lol. How are you supposed to get passed the bridge?

You gotta hold the 3DS steady and level, tilting it only to keep that little white indicator out of the red zones.

This is unacceptable. Do you have acces to any Sony console (Edit: Gamecube or Wii and Twin Snakes works too, but I highly recommend the original)? If so, get Metal Gear Solid 1 and start to play it.

The 2D while aiming is either a bug, or intentionally because you're aiming with one eye. We don't know for sure.

disco

Shoot what the cutscene just prior to that draws your attention to?

Ridley327

No, no.

When it's DLC, is when they are at Namco levels.

It's insane when you think about it; unlike the Tales games which were only half localized in the first place, all the VA has been around since 2004. And I don't even know if you can even really buy into the argument of doing it for space reasons; MGS3 is a little over 3 gigs by itself.

If this is true, then I don't even know what to think anymore.

Meikiyou

Nice demo, to aim is a pain, the frame rate is inconsistent on cutscenes and I didn't notice the 3D going off when using the sniper but overall a very nice demo.

vall03

After playing the demo, I kinda like how they removed crawling in Peace Walker. I basically just crawled my way from point A to point B here.

lol missing voices 0_O whoa

bleh Nintendo needs to raise the cap, isn't it still limited to 2 or 4 gb for 3DS games? when it can hold 8 gb , i swear i read that when the system came out.

good deal is from amazon, you get a $10 credit for ordering

i think i'll wait anyway, i've got lots other games to finish.

Tyeforce

This is unacceptable. Do you have acces to any Sony console (Edit: Gamecube or Wii and Twin Snakes works too, but I highly recommend the original)? If so, get Metal Gear Solid 1 and start to play it.

The 2D while aiming is either a bug, or intentionally because you're aiming with one eye. We don't know for sure.
I only own Nintendo systems. Thought about getting Twin Snakes, but I believe it's supposed to be really rare now, and I don't really like buying used games anyway. I do plan on getting Snake Eater 3D, though. It's not exactly my type of game, but I figured I'd give it a shot because of all the praise the franchise gets. Besides, Snake Eater is the first game in the series chronologically, correct? Might as well start there, then. Though I doubt I'll be playing many, if any, other MGS games.

Shoot what the cutscene just prior to that draws your attention to?
I did that. The guards are still around and walking on the bridge and everything, though.

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out, lol.

Just played through the demo, found the controls horribly awkward (I don't have the Circle Pad Pro, but I imagine it's a heeeaap better with that). 3D effect is quite nice, but the frame rate goes to complete shit when they switch to the cutscene models.

Oh well.

Forgive me if I don't believe blazingstargames on the voicework thing.. I think we'd have heard of that before now if it were true.

The final cart will be 4gb, which is more than enough for the entire contents of the ps2 game.

Ridley327

Forgive me if I don't believe blazingstargames on the voicework thing.. I think we'd have heard of that before now if it were true.

The final cart will be 4gb, which is more than enough for the entire contents of the ps2 game.

That's what I'm saying; this would be a "up is down, left is right, and the sky is actually hot pink" thing for me.

Mr Swine

Banned

bleh Nintendo needs to raise the cap, isn't it still limited to 2 or 4 gb for 3DS games? when it can hold 8 gb , i swear i read that when the system came out.

4GB carts, but won't MGS for Vita have the same problem?

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Quick search later and I find that the ISO of the PS2 game is 2gB. If this game is 4 then there's no excuse.

Tyeforce

It's whenever you're balancing, it seems.
I figured that it's because of the gyro, but disabling the 3D for those parts is just silly. It's very easy to keep your eyes level with the screen when you move the system so the 3D doesn't break. Besides, it looks like you don't even have to move the system around that much for the gyro parts in this game anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Spiegel

Removing VO is crazy. That must be how they're getting MGS2/3 on a single PSV cart too. Shameful stuff.

MGS2/3 fits on a single DVD (360) and had no voice cut. MGS2/3 won't fit on a 4GB cart even if they cut voices so they'll have to use an 8 GB cart. And that's probably why is taking longer to be released

StuBurns

Banned
MGS2/3 is on a single DVD (360) and had no voice cut. MGS2/3 won't fit on a 4GB cart even if they cut voices so they'll have to use a 8 GB cart. And that's probably why is taking longer to be released
It's not just removing voice, you could more heavily compress voice, and textures, all sorts of stuff to save space, but I didn't know there were 8gb carts, so maybe it won't have anything cut I guess.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
An infamous piracy site has it at 4.35GB.

Could be that the disc is 4.35 but the stored information is 2. The other 2.35 is waste data used to fill out the disc and when compressed in a zip/rar/whatever archive it compresses the waste data to next to nothing. 's my explanation.

StuBurns

Banned
Could be that the disc is 4.35 but the stored information is 2. The other 2.35 is waste data used to fill out the disc and when compressed in a zip/rar/whatever archive it compresses the waste data to next to nothing. 's my explanation.
Possible, but if that was the case, why ship it on two discs? There's seemingly a lot less on disc 2.

Tyeforce

Okay, is there, like, a How to Play Metal Gear Solid for Dummies guide or something? 'Cause I think I need it, lol. I'm stuck at the part in the demo where you have to rescue the guy or whatever, and I'm currently stuck underneath this building thing, and every time I come out they catch me, forcing me to retreat back underneath the thing. >.>

Also, is the game supposed to progress at a snail's pace, or am I just wasting my time hiding in cover and crawling around slowly for so long?

Ridley327

Possible, but if that was the case, why ship it on two discs? There's seemingly a lot less on disc 2.

If we're talking about the Subsistence version (and we'd have to be since we're talking about two discs), the reason for that was due to the Secret Theater movies being actual FMV (as opposed to real time like the cutscenes in the main game) and MGO having its own set of audio and assets in addition to the ones reused from the main game. After being disappointed with the additional load times MGS2:S incurred as a result of being on a dual-layer disc, Kojima wanted to avoid having to do that again.

As it is, there is no earthly reason why they should be cutting any audio out from a game that doesn't have to worry about those features (or any of the other extra features).

StuBurns

Banned
If we're talking about the Subsistence version (and we'd have to be since we're talking about two discs), the reason for that was due to the Secret Theater movies being actual FMV (as opposed to real time like the cutscenes in the main game) and MGO having its own set of audio and assets in addition to the ones reused from the main game.

As it is, there is no earthly reason why they should be cutting any audio out from a game that doesn't have to worry about those (or any of the other extra features).
Oh yeah, forgot about those videos.

Maybe they've removed VO because they've changed some stuff and needed more room, no idea really.

jackdoe

As it is, there is no earthly reason why they should be cutting any audio out from a game that doesn't have to worry about those (or any of the other extra features).
Well, the only reason I can think of is if they specifically cut out audio referring to controls, i.e. they're too lazy to re-record it. But since they're doing it for the Vita versions, then it shouldn't even be a possibility.

Ridley327

I think that there's a few minutes worth of FMV in MGS3 itself (mostly the Survival Viewer videos that pop up when you eat particular animals), but I'd have to think those got dropped.

Holy shit this demo is awful. The retail build must be really amazing if Edge liked it as much as they did.

I will say the quick touch screen selection is probably the only thing thats good about the demo.

Ridley327

Well, the only reason I can think of is if they specifically cut out audio referring to controls, i.e. they're too lazy to re-record it. But since they're doing it for the Vita versions, then it shouldn't even be a possibility.

Bottom line: we really need additional sources on this matter ASAP.

Salaadin

What's with the dumb motion control when crossing the bridge? I love how snake just slides off of it even if you aren't moving.

Peff

As far as I remember the original Snake Eater was around 3.20ish GB. I did think it was weird that they never let you use the radio in the demo, but it doesn't really mean anything. We'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: There's also the real life footage in the briefings and Snake Eater.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Assuming you're talking about the E3 2011 build, which features are we talking about exactly? o_O
From what I've seen of offscreen footage, they're the exact same thing.
The interface has changed (different UI) and circle pad pro support was added, among other things.

Honestly, the demo wasn't the total disaster I was expecting. My biggest problem with Peace Walker, aside from the basic design philosophy, is the button aiming. That's still a problem in MGS3D, but I found switching to first person mode helps a lot. Maybe it's a weird psychological thing, but moving the first person gun in tiny increments with the buttons bothered me a whole lot less than swinging the cursor around in third person. I was able to consistently shoot guards in the head, which is something I found fairly difficult in Peace Walker. Yet another reason to get the Circle Pad Pro vanishes.

Perhaps I've forgotten how good MGS3 looked on the PS2, but I was pretty impressed with the graphics, especially since my last MGS experience was Peace Walker on the PSP. It's certainly not the Naked Sample, but I think it will do. The one graphical sticking point is the framerate. While I didn't notice any slowdown, it's clearly not 30 fps. I'm not a big framerate stickler as long as it's consistent, so it didn't bother me that much. The rest of the presentation is great, though. Moving all of the menu and HUD stuff to the bottom screen is obvious, but it's appreciated. The demo made me appreciate 3D again after the pretty mediocre implementation in Resident Evil and Tales of the Abyss, so that's cool, I guess.

I'm much more optimistic about the game now. I still don't think I'll run out to buy it for full price, but I look forward to a price drop. Still, that's better than a few weeks ago when I thought it was a horrible defacement of a venerated classic.

Ridley327

As far as I remember the original Snake Eater was around 3.20ish GB. I did think it was weird that they never let you use the radio in the demo, but it doesn't really mean anything. We'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: There's also the real life footage in the briefings and Snake Eater.

Yeah, that was the extent of it (in addition the Survival Viewer movies I mentioned). Even MGS4 kept FMV to a minimum, outside of the intro TV channel switching and two particular cutscenes that involved large amounts of objects that they couldn't handle in real time.

Top Bottom