• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charles Napier has Died (Rambo, Duke Phillips, and many more) God of Character Actors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just look at this resume!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0621008/

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/local/x771640177/Charles-Napier-Bakersfields-leading-man-dies-at-75
Veteran Hollywood actor Charles Napier, a resident of Kern County since the 1980s, died Wednesday afternoon at Bakersfield Memorial Hospital, according to a family friend. He was 75.

Though he appeared in Oscar-winning films like "Philadephia" and "Silence of the Lambs," it was in his earlier work -- decidely edgier fare -- that he first attracted the attention of A-list Hollywood directors like Jonathan Demme and Alfred Hitchcock. Early Z-grade films like "Supervixens" established Napier as a go-to tough guy and he deployed his unique brand of wild-eyed bravado to entertaining effect throughout his career on both big and small screens.

Napier was able to recount his uproarious life as an actor kicking around from set to set, never truly breaking through, in his entertaining memoir titled "Square Jaw and Big Heart," released in March. The response to his two book-signings at Russo's Books in Bakersfield was so overwhelming that the shop ran out of copies and was forced to issue rain checks to Napier's fans.

"He spent a lot of time with each person and he took a lot of time," said Tony Russo, owner of the book store. "When the books came in, we gave them to Charlie to sign and then he put a print from his pictures in the books and said, 'Thank you for waiting for the book.' He would be easy to be a friend with, sit down and talk to or have a beer with. You wouldn not know he was an actor."

char_40174.jpg

char31.jpg

12654-15590.gif

lupinko

Holy fucking shit, I am just in shock, moreso now following Jobs' passing. RIP Mr. Napier and forever ALL HAIL DUKE!

Anyone remember this game...loved the crap out of it. Such a pain to run in Windows 95! Man GOG should release it.

1996 Spycraft: The Great Game (Video Game)
Frank Milkovsky

Slayven

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
The man also never stopped working. He was in Archer recently!
They never do, they never do. God bless them. Martin Mull will still be working long after Hollywood have thrown Ryan Reynolds aside.

What a Duketastrophe.

Seriously, RIP. The Duke is one of my favorite comedy characters and he brought a lot of laughs. I might have to change my avatar for this.

Odoul

Never heard of the name.

Recognized the face and heard the voice as soon as I opened the thread.

dad-whats-gay-titus-sitcom-ken-titus-old-school-dad-intolera-demotivational-poster-1284560045.jpg

Up there with Al Bundy and Fred Sanford.

Wow, I was a big fan of his voice work especially the critic.

Tkawsome said:
What a Duketastrophe.

Seriously, RIP. The Duke is one of my favorite comedy characters and he brought a lot of laughs. I might have to change my avatar for this.

The greatest game of scrabble I ever played had me laying down a quizibuck.

way more

Odoul said:
Never heard of the name.

Recognized the face and heard the voice as soon as I opened the thread.

dad-whats-gay-titus-sitcom-ken-titus-old-school-dad-intolera-demotivational-poster-1284560045.jpg

Up there with Al Bundy and Fred Sanford.

Isn't that Stacy Keach?

Haha. I never knew he did that voice. And I didn't realize he was in Airplane. Although I recognize the actor I never think of him doing comedy and he's great at it.

Odoul

mac said:
Isn't that Stacy Keach?

Haha. I never knew he did that voice. And I didn't realize he was in Airplane. Although I recognize the actor I never think of him doing comedy and he's great at it.
Well I look like a jackass. Guess I don't *exactly* place the voice and face.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
He just did the narration in Civ V too. Really love hearing that guy.

Kurdel said:
Wow, people actually believe celebrities die in waves? How would that even work? God gets bored so he culls entertainers and Steve Jobs?

"GUYS, RANDOM PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO CONNECTION TO EACH OTHER AND HAPPEN TO BE FAMOUS DIED, MAYBE THERE IS A PATTEN TO THIS?!!!? WHOSE NEXT?!?"

... Are you serious? Nobody actually believes that it's some magic phenomenon. Just a funny coincidence that happens occasionally.

UltraMav

My Political Science teacher and him were apparently good friends, and spent last night in the hospital with him. Said he had just recently discussed having him come to class and talk to us all about his experiences in the industry.

Remember seeing him at the local Camelot Park when I was younger as well. Got in trouble for trying to get his attention. Him and Steve Jobs in the same day... sad. :(

Lionel Mandrake said:
... Are you serious? Nobody actually believes that it's some magic phenomenon. Just a funny coincidence that happens occasionally.
Odd. Odd coincidence. Not funny. (I know what you meant, but still)

It's a shame that such a great actor like Charles Napier will forever be known to a majority of people as one of those "that guy" actors. Truly a great loss. RIP Charles

An-Det

Damn, he was awesome. Thanks for all the good times.

Darth Pinche said:
Man that sucks, this dude was in everything, including Star Trek.

charles_napier.jpg

I saw him in 'Little Green Men' (DS9) just a few days ago playing a military dude. He was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom