• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'X' trailer [Monolithsoft] shows uncut gameplay

KarmaCow

Looked decent (compressed as hell though) but that wasn't the best way to show off the mech gameplay— I was expecting some change of pace at the very least, but switch felt very monotonous.

The mech seems to be more of a traversal tool than a fundamental change to the combat mechanics.

wsippel

Banned
Came onto GAF expecting people to be excited they showed X.... Find people upset about combat, 'What the hell is this?! The Combat looks so lame?!'.... I don't know why I even bother being optimistic. I guess people got excited because everyone said Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG of last Gen (I think Dark Souls beats, but it surely is #2 for me), but no one actually went to try it out/buy it/look up a youtube video....
Even if I don't differentiate between JRPG, WRPG and ARPG, Xenoblade is my personal RPG of the last generation. Followed by Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, then Dragon's Dogma, followed by either Kingdoms of Amalur or Skyrim - not quite sure which one of those two I'd rank higher. Probably Kingdoms of Amalur. But that would be my personal top six.

That's not counting handhelds, or else I'd had to fit Infinite Space and TWEWY in there somewhere.

onilink88

I can notice the english name or part of it is on a huge dome like structure so a possible human colony is situated there? I can't see a flag however per speculation if what you say is true perhaps humans have migrated to a different planet or this is an alternate Earth.

I'm still going with the crash-landing theory, or, as you say, they're migrating to this place (and that thing is most certainly a ship). The place is way too underdeveloped to be an alternate version of Earth.

Love what I saw but from the ND thread.

But I am sure X will be epic!! Cannot judge a game as big as X from one small fight.
I'd guess you can probably transfer some of the UI elements to the Gamepad, but that was the way the UI was in Xenoblade. Dunno how anyone could make any assumptions from it to Gamepad possibly being removed.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm still going with the crash-landing theory, or, as you say, they're migrating to this place (and that thing is most certainly a ship). The place is way too underdeveloped to be an alternate version of Earth.

It will be most interesting when we get a better grasp of information.

DrWong

Mount & Blade and Xenoblade are the RPG of last gen' for me.

And Mount & Blade 2 and X are coming sooner than later. I'm excited.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What little can be heard of the battle music sounds fantastic. It even has lyrics! I demand english lyrics in the western release, if they just cut them out, I will be mad.

Let's get real here: Uninterrupted gameplay footage, while a great tool for consumers, doesn't generate hype at all. If they released the same footage obfuscated by story bits and quick cuts with some thunderous music everyone would be freaking out.

Riki

What little can be heard of the battle music sounds fantastic. It even has lyrics! I demand english lyrics in the western release, if they just cut them out, I will be mad.

Well, the second trailer had English lyrics.
But I don't care if the battle music is English or not. It sounds awesome either way.

Let's get real here: Uninterrupted gameplay footage, while a great tool for consumers, doesn't generate hype at all. If they released the same footage obfuscated by story bits and quick cuts with some thunderous music everyone would be freaking out.

Personally, I'm glad they did this. I wanted to see how the combat worked up close. And the fact that they showed both on foot and mech combat is perfect.

Phatmac

Strange that they didn't have a trailer for this game, maybe they ran out of time? Either way it looks good, but I'm not as hyped as I was when it was revealed.

onilink88

Everything about X so far is visually inferior to Xenoblade, save for the fact that it's in HD. The colour palette, the character designs, the monster designs, the UI... everything appears to have been dulled down and had colour and personality removed.

This is silly. You realize this isn't Xenoblade, right? They aren't going for a vibrant high-fantasy aesthetic here. This game is clearly steeped in grounded sci-fantasy, and the earthy palette fits perfectly with what they're trying to convey, as well as the fauna, costume designs, and UI. The artistic direction of this game is simply beyond reproach.

mechdodgerejb4.gif

So any ideas if that dodge is contextual or regular gameplay?
I hope its the latter. BTW I love how the UI tells you if your facing front back or side now. Really helpful.

Riki

mechdodgerejb4.gif

So any ideas if that dodge is contextual or regular gameplay?
I hope its the latter. BTW I love how the UI tells you if your facing front back or side now. Really helpful.

That dodge seems to be a move. But that move comes at a cost. Your mech loses its arm, thus decreasing damage output, but you avoid major HP loss.

Linkhero1

This is silly. You realize this isn't Xenoblade, right? They aren't going for a vibrant high-fantasy aesthetic here. This game is clearly steeped in grounded sci-fantasy, and the earthy palette fits perfectly with what they're trying to convey, as well as the fauna, costume designs, and UI. The artistic direction of this game is simply beyond reproach.

Yeah, watching the E3 2013 trailer again, it's pretty blantant they've moved toward sci-fi for this game.

That dodge seems to be a move. But that move comes at a cost. Your mech loses its arm, thus decreasing damage output, but you avoid major HP loss.
Oh snap! I didn't even notice the arm coming off. Strange since I just looked at that frame by frame making that gif.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well, the second trailer had English lyrics.
But I don't care if the battle music is English or not. It sounds awesome either way.

Personally, I'm glad they did this. I wanted to see how the combat worked up close. And the fact that they showed both on foot and mech combat is perfect.

Agreed, as long as there are lyrics. But I love cheesy rock music with lyrics that get you pumped up to a fight, which is way easier when you can understand what they're saying :p. Rules of Nature is an amazing track for that very reason (Same with Blue Dragon's Eternity)

Yeah, The Last Remnant is way better than The Last Story, though they don't play very alike at all.

Gotta get in on the Last Remnant love. Amazingly fun battle system and that soundtrack is godlike. Ignore what you heard of the 360 release people. Get the PC port if your PC can handle it, much much much improved.

Wensih

The terms need to be updated. By every marker we use, Zelda is now a JRPG, and one of the very best.

It has tactical combat, equipment upgrading, crafting and item collection, quests and side quests, towns, NPCs, and even overworld traversal. The only difference is it has puzzles too.

No one uses "Adventure" genre for anything now except Zelda. It's a useless term that just isolates Nintendo.

I wouldn't call Zelda an RPG... It would be classified as a Action/Adventure game in my opinion. I think one of the main aspects of RPGs are character stats, something Zelda doesn't have.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ugh, get that horrible UI out of my face, I can barely see the game.

This is what Xenoblade's hud looked like when it was still known as Monado:
monado_202722.jpg

I'm sure they'll improve it by release :p

Edit: Actually comparing to Xenoblade's final hud, the unfinished one seems to be less cluttered. Maybe X's hud will get worse ;D

I just noticed something cool (or I'm late to the party)
The new attack ranges work in 3D rather than 2D. In Xenoblade certain moves only worked from the front, back or sides of the enemies. X recognizes 9 coordinates adding a vertical dimension.
Front / Low
Front / Middle
Front / High
Side / Low
Side / Middle
Side / High
Back / Low
Back / Middle
Back / High

High never actually shows up in the footage but it would be weird to just have low and middle. I'm guessing High is reserved for flight/aerial combat.

Watch the fight against the first monster and you can see your pretty much on middle ground with it the entire time. Then watch the giant monster and you are on middle ground with it when your in the mech but you are low when on foot. They aren't messing around when it comes to scale with some of the monsters you fight in this.

Riki

Oh snap! I didn't even notice the arm coming off. Strange since I just looked at that frame by frame making that gif.

It's very subtle. But you see the pieces flying off and then, no arm.
The health goes down, but then jumps back up after he completes the move.

Top Bottom