• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'X' trailer [Monolithsoft] shows uncut gameplay

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Quoting for the new page.

:p

Also the analysis is actually being done by Chuggaaconroy as well.

First of all, thank you so much for this, been waiting for this analysis and chugga being back is a plus
2ndly, my heat literally jumped when I saw "New 'X' trailer" regardless of if its a new thread or not.

onilink88

Before the Brobdingnagian scale, mechs, music, and gameplay, the art of this game stands as its most appealing feat (in my opinion, of course). They've positively nailed the grounded sci-fi look, from the very elaborate Dolls (look closely and you can see all the bolts, joints, what seem to be hydraulic cylinders, and all the other components that go into making them move) - very much contrasting the mechs in Takahashi's previous works (and Japanese mechs in games/anime/manga in general), I might add - to the uniforms, transforming weapons, ship, and even UI. Everything looks like what I've always wanted from a sci-fi JRPG.

Speaking of which, I should probably take the opportunity to give props to a certain user. From the first thread:

JODOROWSKY51 said:
Personally, the subdued colour palette seems intentional to me. I feel it gives the world a primordial look.

Also the UFO image, to me, feels like its implying the humans are aliens on this planet for some reason.

Look at that. Unless my Japanese is broken, the name of that area reads something along the lines of "primitive/primordial/primeval wilderness". Congrats, JODOROWSKY51, for being one of the very few people beside myself who understands exactly what Monolith are aiming for with the game's aesthetics and for also understanding that good art goes beyond vibrant colors. Shame you don't seem to be around to discuss it further, though. :(

GameXplain has a new break down regarding the gameplay footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XuBL2K-GZg

I finally got around to watching this last night. I thought it was really interesting and they picked up some stuff about the dolls that I hadn't noticed in my multiple viewings. I am of the opinion that the fuel meter will only go down when flying, but that remains to be seen.

I'm still very much 50/50 about whether the other players in the trailer were AI or player-controlled.

I am hoping we get more of a story/exploration trailer in the hypothetical April Direct.

DrWong

First of all, thank you so much for this, been waiting for this analysis and chugga being back is a plus
2ndly, my heat literally jumped when I saw "New 'X' trailer" regardless of if its a new thread or not.

I had the exact same reaction, and it's not the first time :]

Some Nobody

Before the Brobdingnagian scale, mechs, music, and gameplay, the art of this game stands as its most appealing feat (in my opinion, of course). They've positively nailed the grounded sci-fi look, from the very elaborate Dolls (look closely and you can see all the bolts, joints, what seem to be hydraulic cylinders, and all the other components that go into making them move) - very much contrasting the mechs in Takahashi's previous works (and Japanese mechs in games/anime/manga in general), I might add - to the uniforms, transforming weapons, ship, and even UI. Everything looks like what I've always wanted from a sci-fi JRPG.

Speaking of which, I should probably take the opportunity to give props to a certain user. From the first thread:

Look at that. Unless my Japanese is broken, the name of that area reads something along the lines of "primitive/primordial/primeval wilderness". Congrats, JODOROWSKY51, for being one of the very few people beside myself who understands exactly what Monolith are aiming for with the game's aesthetics and for also understanding that good art goes beyond vibrant colors. Shame you don't seem to be around to discuss it further, though. :(

I disagree with what's behind this statement, but fortunately the art style is cool to me as well so we're all good. :)

I finally got around to watching this last night. I thought it was really interesting and they picked up some stuff about the dolls that I hadn't noticed in my multiple viewings. I am of the opinion that the fuel meter will only go down when flying, but that remains to be seen.

I'm still very much 50/50 about whether the other players in the trailer were AI or player-controlled.

I am hoping we get more of a story/exploration trailer in the hypothetical April Direct.

Doubtful. An April Direct is possible certainly, but I can't imagine they'd have much more to show us. If anything I'd wait until E3 to expect anything on "X" again. I'm personally just happy with this gameplay trailer. There's not much else they can tell me now aside from if we'll see it this year.

Soooooo phyched for this game. I bought a Wii U JUST for this game. As long as the whole game can be played single player, that's good enough for me.

It looks awesome!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Yeah really enjoyed how much detail gamexplain went into for this, glad it took them some days to get it out finally.

Doubtful. An April Direct is possible certainly, but I can't imagine they'd have much more to show us. If anything I'd wait until E3 to expect anything on "X" again. I'm personally just happy with this gameplay trailer. There's not much else they can tell me now aside from if we'll see it this year.

Yeah, probably. With Bayonetta and Hyrule Warriors confirmed for Summer in Japan, one can only assume X is going to be Fall or Winter there, so there's less time pressure to focus on the game until e3, I suppose.

MilkBeard

Yeah, probably. With Bayonetta and Hyrule Warriors confirmed for Summer in Japan, one can only assume X is going to be Fall or Winter there, so there's less time pressure to focus on the game until e3, I suppose.

Yeah I mean the last Direct didn't even mention that the game was coming out, almost like they are quietly trying to delay it...I have a feeling this game will come out at the very end of the year in Japan, if not next year. We will see.

onilink88

I disagree with what's behind this statement, but fortunately the art style is cool to me as well so we're all good. :).

Of course, it always depends on what you're trying to convey, but some people subscribe to the binary that vibrant art is uniformly superior to everything else. By that virtue, they consider Xenoblade to be artistically superior just because it carries itself in a more vibrant and colorful manner. The fact is, however, that they're both trying to convey very different things and are not directly comparable; one aims for bright and vivid high fantasy, while the other is steeped in grounded and earthy sci-fi.

Top Bottom