• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Freeloader for Wii Thread of Joy, Happiness, Answers, Bloody NMH and BRAWL

Ramenman

Since the other thread was quite a mess, with two misleading pages about the wrong product, followed by 16+ pages of asking the same questions every two pages or wondering what the hell is going on with shipping, it seems to be a good idea to make a new thread now that we know it's real and it works.
Here you'll find (or at least I'll try to provide) a summary of what we know, what we don't know, and what we kind of figured out about the Freeloader for Wii, and I'll update the OP everytime someone confirms a game to be fully working with the Freeloader, so please be as kind as to mention which version of the game (US/PAL/JAP) you're playing and on which region of the console.

Also keep in mind that I'm only a human being, so if you find something to be missing in this thread, just tell me and I'll add it. You may also encounter some spelling/wording mistakes here and there since English is not my main language, so feel free to point them out too.

Well, here we go :
This is the one you’ve all been waiting for! Wii FreeLoader lets you play ANY region of Wii or GameCube game on your Nintendo Wii!

Videogamers the world over get really frustrated when games are released in other territories long before they reach the shops in their home country, if they ever get released at all. You want to play that blockbuster survival horror offering which is out in Japan three months before it hits the shelves anywhere else? What about the gridiron football or NBL baseball game that’s never released outside the States? With Wii FreeLoader, you can play ANY region of game on your UK Wii!

Wii FreeLoader is really easy to use. Simply insert your FreeLoader disc and load it in the usual way. When the drive stops, eject the Wii FreeLoader disc and insert the game, which then loads and plays just like it would on its own region of Wii. It’s as simple as that!

Wii FreeLoader is 100% unofficial, and requires no modifications to your console. As well as letting you play Wii games from all regions, Wii FreeLoader also works with imported GameCube games when played on your Wii. It won’t work in a GameCube console, though – for that, you need Freeloader for GameCube, also available from Codejunkies…

Features

* Play ANY region of Wii or GameCube game on ANY Wii.
* Easy to use.
* No console modification required.
* Play games never released in your region.
* Play local games on your imported console.
* 100% unofficial.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where to buy it ?

You can buy the Wii Freeloader on CodeJunkies, which is Datel's official site, but it has been proven to suck, so don't.

Plus, consider that

/!\ UNF UNF UNF FREELOADER NOW ON PLAY ASIA UNF UNF /!\

And it's fucking CHEAPER (about 14€ shipped). No reason to refuse now.

PAL VERSION

US VERSION

JAP VERSION

Also note that while CodeJunkies doesn't accept PayPal payments, Play-Asia does, so if you don't have a credit card you might want to go with them.

Why would I buy it ?
If you're a US gamer, then you'll be able to play Mario Kart in April, or some JP games that you know will take a looong time to come out in the States, if they ever do. As a PAL gamer, this is the best day of your life. You can shit over NOE's shitty policy shit, the one that made you wait 'til last September to play Super Paper Mario, even more to play Trauma Center SO, and now until June to play Smash. Plus, since Euro is stronger than USD, you'll save 10 to 20 euros on every game you buy. Basically : you get your games faster AND cheaper. And you get Smash Bros Brawl NOW.
Also, there's the case where a game gets f'd up when it comes out in PAL land. With the Freeloader you'll be able to play the Original Version of No More Heroes, as well as the "not-missing-half-the-characters" version of Naruto GNT EX 2.
And if you're a Japanese gamer, er, well... Maybe you like Stupid Attorneys ?

What about firmware updates ? Could they block my Freeloader ?
As the freeloader is an absolutely unofficial product, yes they could, however, remember that downloadable updates are never mandatory, so you might just want to be careful and wait for someone less clever than you to bite the bullet ;-P
Also, there's this bit of information Datel told (by phone) to some guy on some forum :

• CODEJUNKIES STAFF HAVE CONFIRMED TO ME, BY PHONE, THAT IF A WII FIRMWARE UPDATE SOMEHOW BLOCKS THE WII FREELOADER, THEY WILL SEND YOU AN UPDATED WII FREELOADER FREE OF CHARGE WHEN ONE IS CREATED, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE PROOF OF PURCHASE OF YOUR ORIGINAL COPY OF WII FREELOADER.

(source)

Well, downloadable updates aren't mandatory, but what about the on-disc updates, the one I'm forced to go through in order to play Super Mario Galaxy for instance ?

The Freeloader bypasses the request for all on-disc updates, so if said update is only there for pirates pissing purposes only and isn't needed for the game to run, the game will run smoothly.
However, if the on-disc update is required in order for the game to run properly, then you'll have to use the « Alternative Method » :

9hmhwn.png

(full scans here thanks to Shafto)

Basically, the Freeloader will update the system in a selective way, only installing the components required by the game.

Will playing a game through the Freeloader affect online play and online functionnalities of said game ?
Well, there's no problem with the US version of Smash Brawl at least.
I have tried online and it works, spectator/team/single all work, battles are a bit laggy which is expected, but it works and you can still own if you know what your doing.
(source)

Also,
Online Brawl is NOT "region locked", the only thing that could prevent you to play with a friend is him being too far away from you to allow for a sufficiently lag-less match, and by "too far away" I mean "really, REEALLY far away" since US players are within reach of European players.
So yeah, with your US copy you'll be able to play with your PAL friends. Actually you'll even get a better connection quality.

What's a good site for import ?
There are plenty of sites you can buy your games from, I'm only going to mention two of them, the most well known and reliable ones.
Play-Asia will allow you to purchase US and Japanese games at interesting prices, with a surprisingly wallet-friendly $3.40 worldwide shipping fee. Plus it's easy to get a '$5 off ' coupon with the help of GAF.
VideoGamesPlus.ca is for US games only. It's often said to be faster than Play-Asia, which is no surprise since it's based in Canada. Shipping to Europe is 7.49CDN though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAMES TESTED BY GAF
Of course the Freeloader is supposed to work with every game, but as it is 100% unofficial, some problems might occur with some games. And even without this small risk, it's always good to be sure, especially if you're the skeptical type or if it's your first time importing something.
I'll update this section everytime a gaffer confirms a game to be running smoothly. Don't forget to mention which version of the game (US/PAL/JAP) you're playing and on which region of the console.

You're now quite a lot contributing to this thread, and I can only thank you for that, but the direct consequence is, updating the OP is getting harder when I have to face like 3-4 posts with each 10 games and everyone presenting their list as they want, so I'd like to ask you, from now on, Everytime you post a list of games you tested, please post it in the same format as in the OP :

[Name of the game] [Region of the Game] on a [region of your console] console

Thanks again to everyone :)

*WORKING GAMES

** Wii Games
Super Smash Bros. Brawl JAP on PAL console here won't boot on a system with modchip
Super Smash Bros. Brawl US on PAL console here won't boot on a system with modchip
No More Heroes US on PAL console here
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption US on PAL console here
Super Mario Galaxy US on PAL console here
Super Paper Mario US on PAL console here
Trauma Center Second Opinion US on PAL console here
Ghost Squad US on PAL console here
Rayman Raving Rabbids US on PAL console here
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles US on PAL console here
Zack and Wiki : The Quest for Barbaro's Treasure US on PAL console here
Wario Ware Smooth Moves US on PAL console here
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz US on PAL console here
Nitrobike US on a PAL console here
Trauma Center : New Blood US on a PAL console here
Harvest Moon Wii JAP on a US console here
Simple Wii Series vol. 4: The Shooting Action JPN works on PAL here
And Simple Wii Series vol. 6: The Wai Wai Combat JPN on PAL here
Harvey Birdman US on PAL console here
Naruto Shippuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX 2 JAP on a PAL console works fine here

** GameCube Games
Baten Kaitos US on PAL console
Baten Kaitos Origins US on PAL console [URL="http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=179782&view=findpost&p=4868106"]here

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles US on a PAL console here
Viewtiful Joe JAP on a PAL console Works but with messed up cutscenes. here
Metroid Prime US on a PAL console here
Shikigami No Shiro 2 JAP on a PAL console here
Ribbit King US on a PAL console here
Mario Golf:TT US on a PAL console here
Timesplitters 3: Future Perfect US on a PAL console here
Resident Evil 4 US on a PAL console here
PN03 JAP on a PAL console here
Tales Of Symphonia US on a PAL console Has some weird graphical glitch here
PN03 US on a PAL console with some audio glitching in the opening cutscene
Beyond Good & Evil US on a PAL console (slight graphics errors) here
Phantasy Star Online Ep1&2 US on a PAL console here
Puyo Pop Fever US on a PAL console here
Def Jam Fight for NY US on PAL console here
Harvest Moon (All of them) JAP on a US console here
WaveRace BlueStorm JPN on PAL console - OK but black flickering lines at the top of the screen
Viewtiful Joe JPN on PAL console - OK but slow cinematics
P.N.03 JPN on PAL console - OK
Auto Modellista US Tuned JPN on PAL console – Perfect
Billy Hatcher JPN on PAL console - OK

*NOT WORKING GAMES
Viewtifull Joe US on a PAL console here
Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 JAP on a PAL console here
Zelda The Wind Waker US on a PAL console here
Animal Crossing US on a PAL console here
Sonic Gems Collection JAP on a PAL console here
Star Soldier JAP on a PAL console here
PC Genjin JAP on a PAL console here
Alien Hominid US on a PAL console here
Battalion Wars US on a PAL console here
Chibi Robo US on a PAL console here
Geist US on a PAL console here
Killer 7 US on a PAL console here
Viewtiful Joe 2 US on a PAL console here
Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble US on a PAL console here
Killer7 JAP on a PAL console here
Alien Hominid US on a PAL console here
Super Monkey Ball 2 US on a PAL console here
Super Robot Wars JAP on a PAL console here
Winning Eleven 6 JAP on a PAL console here
Mega Man Network Transmission US on PAL here
Konjiki no GashBell Yujyo TagBattle 2 JPN on PAL console - Does not load here
Luigi Mansion JPN on PAL console - OK but black flickering lines at the top of the screen here
Nintendo Puzzle Collection JPN on PAL console - Does not load here
R:Racing Evolution JPN on PAL console - Does not load here
Zelda 4 Swords JPN on PAL console - Does not load here
Kururin Squash!! JPN on PAL console - Does not load here
Kinnikuman 2 JPN on PAL console - Does not load here
Viewtiful Joe 2 JPN on PAL console - Does not load here
Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 JPN on PAL console - Does not load here
Super Robot wars GC JPN on PAL console - Does not load here
Mario Golf Familiy Tour JPN on PAL console - Resets on course here
Rockman X Command Mission JPN on PAL console - Does not load here
Giftpia JPN on PAL console - Does not load here
Odama US on a PAL Wii does not work - here

lopaz

Banned
Nice thread, but I think it'd be better not to recommend Datel's site, you're probably aware of the problems a lot of us are having with it

edit: damn you

Rogultgot

Well, being the dumbass that I am, I now have two Freeloaders in my hands. Anyone wanna buy it? :lol

(And still no Brawl to play with it!)

later

They will send new disks if the firmware blocks it? Yeah right, maybe the first time, but after the second or third time they'd loose money if they continue shipping new cds.

bryehn

I'll be receiving mine this week. NTSC user here, bought for JPN imports. Obviously will test when I can.

Ramenman

I think not updating is safer anyway it's not like we've had some tremendous downloadable updates by now (omg display time on the desktop omg).

We can only hope the WiiWare one won't block anything.

Thomper

Rogultgot said:
Well, being the dumbass that I am, I now have two Freeloaders in my hands. Anyone wanna buy it? :lol

(And still no Brawl to play with it!)
Is it the PAL version, and would you send to the Netherlands? If yes to both questions, how much do I pay? :D

crispyben

Great news about NMH and SSBB, especially the latter considering the mandatory update for US SSBB. It seems to be confirmed that PAL Wii and GC games work fine afterwards on a PAL Wii, but we also need as much detail as possible abou the online.

Has anybody read anything about US Bully on PAL Wii? I'm looking to save a few € there too...

Trevelyon

So using the alternative method with Brawl, once you've done the initial boot up update, you'll never have to do it again?

So it'll be a simple one swap everytime?

Ramenman

Trevelyon said:
So using the alternative method with Brawl, once you've done the initial boot up update, you'll never have to do it again?

So it'll be a simple one swap everytime?

Yeah, confirmed by the guy on smashboards.

homez99

Easter saved confirmed, and thank you very much for the awesome thread, going to import Smash Bros Brawl and order myself a Freeloader now that it's confirmed to work.

Kyosuke

Very nice. I'm glad I already ordered my copy of Brawl from VG+. Now all I have to do is wait until the Freeloader and Brawl arrive. I'm just glad that school holidays are starting on friday because with both Brawl and Fire Emblem coming this week I know I won't get any work done. :lol

When my copy arrives I'll test my US Tales of Symphonia (GC) on my EU Wii and report back. Hopefully it will work, now to track down a GC controller and memory card.

Indeed

One question about brawl onlineplay:

If im going to import brawl from the US, will i still be able to play with my friends here in germany when they buy the normal PAL brawl? (online of course)

Indeed said:
One question about brawl onlineplay:

If im going to import brawl from the US, will i still be able to play with my friends here in germany when they buy the normal PAL brawl? (online of course)
Yep that's a good question actually, and that's precisely why I hesitate order this game right now... But I guess we won't know this until the PAL version is out...

Burli

Pringo
I may import the Japanese version of Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (Devil Kings 2), if so I'll definately post if it works. If anybody else already has it, please let us know! (Derail; is a US version ever coming out)

Ramenman said:
No, Brawl WiFi isn't region locked.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251921

The only thing that can prevent you from playing with people from other regions of the globe is if they're too far away, to prevent the overlaggy matches.
Which shouldn't be a problem with your friends.
But because this form of communication is greatly affected by the distance between you and your opponent, your brawls may not run smoothly if you’re really far apart—like, for instance, if you’re connecting between Japan and America.
Well, apparently, this concerns specifically the US and JPN versions ; note that there is no word on Europe/Aus...If this is ends up like Metroid Prime 3, we really won't know about our gimped, region-locked PAL version until the very last moment.
Thankfully, nothing is confirmed yet, so we can still hope. But given the disdain Nintendo had continually towards the PAL Smash fans so far, this is not looking good...

I'd be glad to test some, owning both a PAL and US Wii so if something doesn't work it'dn't be a big deal, but since this damn Datel thingy hasn't shipped yet..

what's this Japanese Naruto game everyone seems to rave about? Everytime I read a topic about freeloader there's always someone screaming YES I CAN IMPORT NARUTO NOW11!!

samratty

Great thread Ramenman! Should be helpful to have all the info in the OP

Woo, Codejunkies have finally shipped and I have UPS ship notification. Yay!

But could it be that US copies will connect to US servers, so even if you are playing someone near you it'd be laggy?
Brawl only uses servers for matchmaking iirc

Kyosuke

lopaz said:
But could it be that US copies will connect to US servers, so even if you are playing someone near you it'd be laggy?
Brawl doesn't use servers, it uses peer to peer .. or so I've heard. Or at least when you're playing using FCs.

lopaz

Banned
samratty said:
Great thread Ramenman! Should be helpful to have all the info in the OP

Woo, Codejunkies have finally shipped and I have UPS ship notification. Yay!

Brawl only uses servers for matchmaking iirc

schweet

What is online play from different territories? eg. connecting to JP servers from the US.

Does P2P mean there will be no issues? In theory they could block all non US ip addresses from the matchmaking.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Glad to see that BKO is confirmed to work! Will get this at some point. Thread now tagged for later, thanks for your efforts Ramenman.

Netto-kun

"Hello Kenny McCormick,

Your order or part of it has been despatched from Gameseek and should be with you shortly!"

Awesome, and I ordered the Freeloader an hour ago too. :eek:

Still wondering whether I should order the US or Japanese version of Brawl (and why the hell does the latter cost more then US version?!).

Play-asia?What about custom fees???Here in Portugal sometimes we get the "luck" of paying fees from ordering out of Europe countries.,....diveneo shouldnt be a problem since they have shops in Spain right?

batbeg

lopaz said:
shipped. *faps*

Mine still isn't :( Maybe it's only confirmed to ship today if threaten to cancel your order like you did :-\

I'm still really excited, I just wish their customer service was worth more than dog shit.

lopaz

Banned
batbeg said:
Mine still isn't :( Maybe it's only confirmed to ship today if threaten to cancel your order like you did :-\

I'm still really excited, I just wish their customer service was worth more than dog shit.

I didn't actually give them my name... and I don't think my home phone is on their database. Good luck getting yours soon

edit: yeah they do have my number, maybe they checked who was calling

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
batbeg said:
Well, I did threaten and then asked to cancel, and they neither shipped nor canceled it :lol

Top Bottom