• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Freeloader for Wii Thread of Joy, Happiness, Answers, Bloody NMH and BRAWL

TreIII

Yes. Yes, you do.

It is a "boot disc", after all. You gotta use it every time you want to boot up a game from another region.

In fact, for the sake of games that may include "updates", you may want to always have the Freeloader take a whack at it, so that it can "selectively update" the components that are necessary, and won't have any risks involved.

Scenester

about friggn time! I couldve had NMH waay earlier... looks like I'll be buying two copies... :D

and mad props for this thread Ramenman, may it live long and be used. Im looking forward to importing some Jap Wii games

cvxfreak

Well, I can finally play my PAL copy of RE4 Wii Edition, as well as REUC when I get around to picking that one up. :lol

Trevelyon

Currently on firmware 3.1.

Would it be safer to update to 3.2 via the online update & bypass the in-game update, or just boot the US Smash & update via the game?

Dachande

Trevelyon said:

Would it be safer to update to 3.2 via the online update & bypass the in-game update, or just boot the US Smash & update via the game?

The US NMH video shows the Wii as being 3.2E, so I'd assume it's mostly safe.

Nocebo

Trevelyon said:

I've read suggestions that you should update to 3.2E (if you're pal) before running the smash update, though they said they didn't know if running the smash update on 3.1 would brick the wii.
The people who played smash had their machines updated to 3.2 before running smash update as far as I know. So it's certain that it works with 3.2.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Bluemercury said:
Play-asia?What about custom fees???Here in Portugal sometimes we get the "luck" of paying fees from ordering out of Europe countries.,....diveneo shouldnt be a problem since they have shops in Spain right?

That would be because some british Internet shops are based in tax-exempt territories such as Jersey, which do not count as part of the EU.

So, people from other EU countries (except the UK, of course) would have the same problem.

samratty

Got one today.
Tried Viewtiful Joe NTSC-U but it didn't work, just goes blank. However, it didn't bork my other GC games like it supposedly did for the other guy. Gonna get NMH soon.

Have any Europeans played each other yet? All reports for importers have stated that it is laggy online so far.

There's a possibility their connection just sucks, or that their wifi is too far away from the Wii.

samratty

Visualante said:
Have any Europeans played each other yet? All reports for importers have stated that it is laggy online so far.

There's a possibility their connection just sucks, or that their wifi is too far away from the Wii.
Aren't reports that so far it's laggy period, rather than just importers? That's what I've seen anyway.

Ramenman

samratty said:
Got one today.
Tried Viewtiful Joe NTSC-U but it didn't work, just goes blank. However, it didn't bork my other GC games like it supposedly did for the other guy. Gonna get NMH soon.

I'm guessing it's on a PAL Wii, but I'd like to be sure before I update.

Chairhome

I ordered one yesterday after I read that it plays import GC games fine. I can get rid of my modded (for imports) GC (with component out) now. :-D I'm thinking about importing Wii Fit... anybody hear anything about it working on the US freeloader?

So waht exactly happens if you were to insert a US Wii game with an update on the disk in a PAL Wii without inserting the freeloader twice?

(bye-bye PAL Wii?)

And you only have to go through this update process once, right?

(I kinda imagine a scenario where I would put a new game with update in after only one freeloader insert :p )

zoukka

Well do'h. I'd like to know are you able to update your Wii with other region games too? What version does NMH carry? My newest game is SMG and I don't have internez at home :(

EDIT: So I'm fucked without the newest firmware SHIT.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Zeitgeister said:
So waht exactly happens if you were to insert a US Wii game with an update on the disk in a PAL Wii without inserting the freeloader twice?

(bye-bye PAL Wii?)

(I kinda imagine a scenario where I would put a new game with update in after only one freeloader insert :p )

I think the only scenario where the Wii would get bricked because of a firmware update would be if you update with an off-region firmware without having the same (or newer) version of that said update from your own region.

For example, you gotta update your Wii before shoving in the SSBB disc if you have firmware 3.0 or earlier than that, because SSBB has 3.1 in it.

zoukka said:
Well do'h. I'd like to know are you able to update your Wii with other region games too? What version does NMH carry? My newest game is SMG and I don't have internez at home :(

And no, you can't update from an off-region firmware. I'm pretty sure NMH has 3.1 (the same as SMG) because 3.2 is the newest one, and it was released like 2 weeks ago via internet.

Aurelius

Zeitgeister said:

(bye-bye PAL Wii?)

For now, I’ve updated the firmware to the latest version and disabled wi-fi. After finishing NMH I’m going to wait and see what happens next with Wii/Freeloader/Firmware.

samratty

Zeitgeister said:

(bye-bye PAL Wii?)

The game just doesn't run when you use freeloader just once as it disables it from using any of the firmware on disc.

zoukka

And no, you can't update from an off-region firmware. I'm pretty sure NMH has 3.1 (the same as SMG) because 3.2 is the newest one, and it was released like 2 weeks ago via internet.

Thanks! I don't remember ever seeing the firmware number in my Wii options but I guess I just missed it. Gotta make sure I have the 3.1 going on.

Ramenman

And yes, when using the alternative method you only have to do the "double freeloader" thing once.

After that it's just freeloader then game.

zoukka said:

EDIT: So I'm fucked without the newest firmware SHIT.

Did you read the OP ? The alternative method will let you play a game even if it requires an on-disc update.

Osaka said:
I think the only scenario where the Wii would get bricked because of a firmware update would be if you update with an off-region firmware without having the same (or newer) version of that said update from your own region.

For example, you gotta update your Wii before shoving in the SSBB disc if you have firmware 3.0 or earlier than that, because SSBB has 3.1 in it.

Sweet.
Thank you (and others).

Now I really need to pick a freeloader. ^^
And brawl, of course.

zoukka

Ramenman said:
And yes, when using the alternative method you only have to do the "double freeloader" thing once.

After that it's just freeloader then game.

Did you read the OP ? The alternative method will let you play a game even if it requires an on-disc update.

Yeah I read it (thanks again for the OP), but even that method doesn't guarantee anything won't happen to your Wii. But it shouldn't be a problem, I'll just follow the internez and see which games are safe.

0OoO0

I'll hold off from buying until the next Wii firmware update. Lets see what is Nintendo's response to this.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I totally missed all this...:eek:

But within reading the first post...5 minutes later I had ordered the Freeloader and got myself NMH and SMB:B. Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much! Next time I have a wank I'll be thinking of you.

F#A#Oo

Banned
0OoO0 said:
I'll hold off from buying until the next Wii firmware update. Lets see what is Nintendo's response to this.

Datel will always look to re-establish themselves back...it's a cycle.

DKehoe

I just tried playing Brawl with a freeloader, put in the freeloader, took it out put in the Brawl disc and it showed up on the menu. However when I chose to play it the game doesn't load after I press play in the menu. Does this mean I have one of the Wiis that has problems reading the dual layered disc?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
DKehoe said:
I just tried playing Brawl with a freeloader, put in the freeloader, took it out put in the Brawl disc and it showed up on the menu. However when I chose to play it the game doesn't load after I press play in the menu. Does this mean I have one of the Wiis that has problems reading the dual layered disc?
It looks like Brawl needs the alternate booting method (read this thread).

Alright, am I the only one who has problems?

I did this: Freeloader in, wait, Freeloader out, Brawl in

The Wii just doesn't recognize the disc

I did this too: Freeloader in, wait, Freeloader out, wait, Freeloader in, wait, Freeloader out, Brawl in

Same store

What am I doing wrong, or do I have a smoked Wii

Kafel

Banned
Pizza & DK are you sure you have the freeloader from the same region than your Wii ?

Is SSBB the only game you can try ?

DKehoe

Tried the alternate method too, doesn't load that way either using that method Brawl isn't even recognised in the menu screen.

Edit: Yeh I am using the European Freeloader and my Wii is Euro too.

DKehoe

Right, got it running. Here is what you need to do: put in the Brawl disc and choose the disc channel from the menu, the Wii will do an update and after that you can play Brawl using the freeloader disc. Enjoy! :D

Ramenman

Hmmm.

What are your TV settings ? If you're trying to play in 50Hz, that might be why the game doesn't load.

Also; what's your firmware version ?

Edit : okay, apparently not.

DKehoe said:
Right, got it running. Here is what you need to do: put in the Brawl disc and choose the disc channel from the menu, the Wii will do an update and after that you can play Brawl using the freeloader disc. Enjoy! :D

You put Brawl in before the Freeloader and allowed it to update?

Top Bottom