• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Product of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

spekkeh

Banned
Microsoft director of product planning Albert Penello said: "The gaming console has moved out of the basement and into the living room."

1345834178446.jpg

Say that to my face fucker and I will put you in my basement.

/internet tough guy

PR of the Year 2014

Because, obviously, console gamers are basement dwellers and based Microsoft got these gamers out of their damp basements into their nice, comfy living rooms where they have no fear of being judged by people passing by and seeing them play games on their Xbox One. Microsoft is helping US!

lol, I don't think he meant to offend anyone but man some of the things he says are so stupid and easily avoidable

Shin-Ra

Reminds me of this thread:

Microsoft on hardcore gamers: "Sweaty 30 Year Olds In Metallica T-shirts"
And that's fine. The Kinect's not going to impact on our enjoyment of Halo: Reach, or stop us from griefing greenhorns in Red Dead Redemption's Free Roam (it's a victimless crime!). But what we do take serious exception to is the way Microsoft is promoting the Kinect, and what it says about their attitude to a market that, frankly, has delivered them profit piled on profit and a massive amount of console market share.

"Gaming's not just for sweaty thirty year olds in Metallica t-shirts," quipped Microsoft's regional entertainment tzar at yesterday's lifestyle event, David McLean. The audience of fashion editors and lifestyle doyens yukked it up appreciatively, but we couldn't believe our ears. That's it? That's what you're reducing a huge percentage of your audience to now - a one-liner gag to make the cheap-seats feel it's okay to waddle about in front of their television sets?

And it didn't end there - the presentation featured constant allusions to basement dwelling nerds and impenetrable control schemes. Which is fine if Microsoft's courting vacuous fashionistas now, but does the company have to do it at our expense?
ibkGsrmIOzLMiA.gif

edit: well that explains it.
How it Works...

http://productoftheyearusa.com/process/how-it-works/

So basically you pay $70,000 to this company to be able to tell people you're a product of the year. A whole 10%!

madmackem

Yeah for a quote for a uk almost paid for award we dont do basements over here, infact 31 years on this earth spent in england ive never been to a house that had a basement in it.

Tommy DJ

Huh, apparently Aldi Australia won some awards from this Product of the Year thing. For some brand of corn chips I've never heard of before and $5 commercial sliced ham from some brand I've also never head of before.

For those that don't know, Aldi is kind of a discount supermarket. I actually shop there occasionally and I'll be honest that I have seen either of these things at my local store.

I thought it was strange quote, so this ad agency type thing covers usa as well, have people in america heard of them before?.

As an American, I've never heard about them and I've never seen this logo.

Seeing the brands used, like SK Energy Shots and Sodastream, I have an idea these are from companies desperate for press, and always looking for any way to get their name out there.

8bit

Knows the Score
I saw this Sunday morning in Parade (little magazine thing that comes in Sunday papers for those who don't know) and yeah I was like... "What? How much did MS pay these guys?"

That's the other thing that suggested it might not be a UK thing, Parade Magazine is a mucky book on the island.

Mint-X Rodent Repellent Trash Bag is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma...

itagakipic.jpg

but perhaps there is a basement key. That key is Advertising consumer interest.

Tommy DJ

As an American, I've never heard about them and I've never seen this logo.

Seeing the brands used, like SK Energy Shots and Sodastream, I have an idea these are from companies desperate for press, and always looking for any way to get their name out there.

I find it suspicious as well, if only because some products from Aldi (discount supermarket that sells...uh...knock-off/rebranded products of legit products) got on the list. No one in Australia would have heard of these brands before and if this brand did actually legitimately win, I wonder who the hell they asked.

Source

The Product of the Year awards are a big deal over in the UK, so this sounds like a very big win for Microsoft.

edit: seems like this might actually be for the US and not the UK!

I love the Jonathan Leack comment.

How it Works...

http://productoftheyearusa.com/process/how-it-works/

So basically you pay $70,000 to this company to be able to tell people you're a product of the year. A whole 10%!

Why is a publication doing 2014 awards within two months in 2014?

You keep saying it is a big deal, but not only did you fail to even get the country right, now people are pointing out that this is basically a paid for award with no competition. What's up?

I have a feeling that this new Penello quote will live in infamy.

"The gaming console has moved out of the basement and into the living room." Albert Penello, 2014

Yes Albert, it sure has, along with Mint-X Rodent Repellent Trash Bags.

this. is. gold.

LAA

Urgh stuff like this. Its just clear MS don't want to appeal to gamers anymore, they want to move past them. They should probably just stop pretending to be a games console, its just hypocritical and disgusting to say stuff like this and then expect gamers to buy it.

Its just clear MS doesn't respect its primary audience, as much as they like to pretend that isnt their primary audience and its actually cool, sporty, social people all hanging around in a living room laughing and smile as they talk to their X1.

I didn't even see that Penello quote at first. Why do they keep talking to him? According to him, he's not PR.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=67515701&postcount=973
According to people citing his very own LinkedIn profile in that same thread, he is (or was) also the "Director of Marketing" and "Sr. Director of Product Planning, Compete, and User Research". Some say it's not up to date, but he's obviously not completely divorced from PR in some capacity. (His Twitter profile also states that he's a marketer.)

Kagey K

Banned
According to people citing his very own LinkedIn profile in that same thread, he's also the "Director of Marketing" and "Sr. Director of Product Planning, Compete, and User Research". The spinning never ends.

I'm not going to take a leap here, but I assume you,love KZ:SF, but never have the time to play it.....

Sean*O

Perfect that AdWeek is covering this, and details regarding the methodology of how the award was decided are "not clear".

sinxtanx

Every end of an XBOX ONE ad from now on until 23:59 December 31st 2014:

"XBOX ONE, Product of the Year as voted by the People of America *U.S. national anthem crescendo*"

I'm not going to take a leap here, but I assume you,love KZ:SF, but never have the time to play it.....
I'd probably need a PS4 to play Killzone. But why would I buy a game in a series I have (little to) no interest in? I don't know what that has to do with anything.

Kagey K

Banned
I'd probably need a PS4 to play Killzone. But why would I buy a game in a series I have (little to) no interest in? I don't know what that has to do with anything.

Pretty sure you can play KZ on a system not named PS4 and pretty sure you know why, so I will stop here....

Kagey K

Banned
What?

Are you accusing Necromanti of something? Of working for Sony or something?

What?

Not at all.... Just thinking out loud. Why would I ever accuse someone of being a developer or an employee? ThAt is a big jump to take....weird and random accusations, but whatever,

Pretty sure you can play KZ on a system not named PS4 and pretty sure you know why, so I will stop here....
You specifically said "KZ:SF", which Google is telling me is a PS4 title. If you are going to accuse me of something, you'd probably be better off being forthright and provide evidence. Your spin-job is as bad as Microsoft's at this point.

Maybe English is not your first language, but I don't even understand what you mean with your first post. (I love KZ:SF but have no time to play it. What?)

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Bit off topic but TNS ( the people that actually conducted the survey) operate a cold calling telephone survey. Really fucking annoying because no matter how many times you tell them to fuck off they still keep calling. I don't even know how they got our number in the first place. We are not in the phone book. Cunts

Their company name is Product of the Year AND they award the Product of the Year. What kind of gonzo operation is this?

Perfect that AdWeek is covering this, and details regarding the methodology of how the award was decided are "not clear".

I was digging through the site for a while. They don't fucking even list the nominees.

For all we know it could have been this:

Home Entertainment Product of the Year:
The Xbox One All-in-One Entertainment System
The Ouya
A broken Speak-n-spell
A semen-covered Etch-a-sketch

Seriously. It's IMPOSSIBLE to do a search for "product of the year nominees" since EVERYONE names their award "product of the year".

Sean*O

Ha ha ha,

The demographic they are after is taken by smartphones, and they already had their ass kicked in that market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom