• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Freeloader for Wii Thread of Joy, Happiness, Answers, Bloody NMH and BRAWL

Kafel

Banned
Visualante said:
Sure they can, they can buy it on eBay in their own territory, it's not rare or particularly expensive compared to importing. Or heaven forbid, you can buy it on
PS2
where it's even cheaper.

Mmmh, there is censorship on NMH here in Europe. Wasn't it the same with the EU version of K7 ? (I've played mine with a NGC freeloader)

I was talking about this sort of experience.

No difference between US and PAL copies of Killer 7.

The only regional changes for Killer7 was from Japanese to English where the Remnant Psyches spoke in broken english (ala Twin Peaks) instead of robotic gibberish.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally my freeloader arrived today. Even though my order number was in the low 2000s, oh well.

At least I can confirm some games working and not working on my PAL Wii console.

Working:
Super Swing Golf: Season 2 (US/Wii)

Not working:
Nintendo Puzzle Collection (JP/GC): Not loading at all
F-Zero GX (US/GC): Loading, but it crashes after selecting GP
Resident Evil 0 (US/GC): Not loading at all
Super Mario Sunshine (US/GC): Not loading at all
Final Fantasy: CC (US/GC): Works, but only 2/3 the whole picture is scaled down to about 2/3 of the screen (which is why I put it under "not working")

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
[Nintex] said:
The problem isn't the TV, its the Wii it turns into an NTSC system and the RGB output changes to S-Video which causes the red tint.

Is it possible to use a S-Video cable for Wii then? I remember Pal Gamecube didn't (in that case it was worth it the trade to be able to use RGB though).

The only device with component inputs in my house is my crt projector and I'm not going to play NMH on a 110 inch screen in 480p, that would look horrible :-/ (it IS fantastic playing PES Wii/Wii Sports that way though)

Dascu

Dash Kappei said:
Is it possible to use a S-Video cable for Wii then? I remember Pal Gamecube didn't (in that case it was worth it the trade to be able to use RGB though).

The only device with component inputs in my house is my crt projector and I'm not going to play NMH on a 110 inch screen in 480p, that would look horrible :-/ (it IS fantastic playing PES Wii/Wii Sports that way though)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10218959&postcount=286
PAL + Freeloader + SVideo
Best solution if you're component-less, BUT you need a TV that supprts NTSC 60Hz

El Six

Banned
This is a great little item to have, my buddy picked it up and has already imported a few games. I like the jap version of brawl a bit better don't know why but I just do:D

Kafel

Banned
sub_zer0 said:
No difference between US and PAL copies of Killer 7.

The only regional changes for Killer7 was from Japanese to English where the Remnant Psyches spoke in broken english (ala Twin Peaks) instead of robotic gibberish.

Thank you, I didn't know about.

Still a shame that the EU version of NMH got censored.

emilio

From the link above:
* Once the system menu is updated to use IOS37, "Trucha-Signed" discs -- or channels -- will stop working, as will the Freeloader disc.
It took less than a month. Let's see if Datel is going to mail each owner a new updated disc free of charge.

"What's this? PAL gamers are playing Smash Bros. Brawl?! QUICKLY, STOP THEM! That's meant to be their big Christmas holiday release in 2010!"

My Freeloader should be here Tuesday I think~

Ramenman

OP updated (finally, hope I didn't miss anyone).

You're now quite a lot contributing to this thread, and I can only thank you for that, but the direct consequence is, updating the OP is getting harder when I have to face like 3-4 posts with each 10 games and everyone presenting their list as they want, so I'd like to ask you, from now on, Everytime you post a list of games you tested, please post it in the same format as in the OP :

[Name of the game] [Region of the Game] on a [region of your console] console

Thanks again to everyone :)

Also, Er, we have a problem with Mario Golf TT. Someone says it works, and someone else says it doesnt...

ShinNL

Those bastard D:

Just wondering... I had my WiiConnect24 on. The firmware was 3.1(+some letter). Does WiiConnect24 automatically upgrade the firmware?

If not, I need to play NMH before I do anything with my Wii >_< (it still had to ship but already paid for ;_;)

Ramenman said:
OP updated (finally, hope I didn't miss anyone).

I confirmed a few pages back that Naruto GNT EX2 works on a PAL wii, if you want to include that in the op;

Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX 2 JAP on a PAL console works fine (game won't let you play with Gamecube controllers plugged in)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
emilio said:
From the link above:

It took less than a month. Let's see if Datel is going to mail each owner a new updated disc free of charge.

shit... i just ordered NMH, Brawl and PAL Freeloader the other day. hasn't shipped yet... maybe i should cancel?

Kafel

Banned
What I read is that's a signature system.

So later games will include a signature that can't work with the freeloader but we're safe with the games already released, no ?

alex1893

Scrow said:
and if i later want to play a game that requires the updated firmware?
from the freeloader manual:

"Since any game updates can create unwanted results or even incompatibility with Freeloader, it is recommended that all new games, even ones from your own region, are loaded via Freeloader's alternative selective upgrade method."

[Nintex]

Vadernooo.jpg

The text on that WiiBrew site doesn't make sense, if it blocks older software before IOS37 doesn't that mean that legit software will be blocked as well?

Netto-kun

emilio said:
From the link above:

Hmm, what about those people who didn't order the Freeloader disc from Datel's website? Do we have to contact them ourself?

[Nintex]

J. M. Romeo said:
Seriously? Damn.
Has anyone updated yet though?
I mean there is a chance that everything will still work afterwards. I guess I'll have to test it at one of my friends who has both a US and PAL Wii.

Ramenman

Scrow said:
and if i later want to play a game that requires the updated firmware?

Then the freeloader will install the update in a "selective" way, just like it does with Brawl.

So, there's no problem.

lopaz

Banned
Ramenman said:
Then the freeloader will install the update in a "selective" way, just like it does with Brawl.

So, there's no problem.

How does it know what parts of the update are safe, and is it foolproof? I spent ridiculous amounts of time unlocking brawl stuff, no f'in way I'm buying a PAL copy later on. Fuck you Nintendo. I'm never buying a PAL game from you again :mad:

lopaz

Banned
Wait - from the wiki, first :

Once the system menu is updated to use IOS37, "Trucha-Signed" discs -- or channels -- will stop working, as will the [Datel FreeLoader] disc.

then: Will this block my Trucha Signed discs?
No, not yet. Not until another update is released, at which point we will have to re-evaluate.

Huh? Does it block it or not? and wtf is a trucha signed disk?

Ramenman

lopaz said:
How does it know what parts of the update are safe, and is it foolproof?

I don't think it knows what parts are safe, it knows what parts the game needs, and it installs only those parts.

Edit : How come there's not even one person who has tried it ? I mean on the whole internet there HAS to be someone who didn't know about the risk :p

Or someone that doesn't care. Like, someone who has both PAL and US consoles.

Ramenman

I'd like to know too.

lopaz said:
So there could be a problem

Oh yeah, there could, just like there could have been a problem with Brawl (after all the Freeloader came out before SSBB so Datel hadn't tested it before putting the Freeloader on the market), but there wasn't. I don't know why this update looks more frightening than any other update.

lopaz

Banned
Ramenman said:
Oh yeah, there could, just like there could have been a problem with Brawl (after all the Freeloader came out before SSBB so Datel hadn't tested it before putting the Freeloader on the market), but there wasn't. I don't know why this update looks more frightening than any other update.

Because it has a feature that blocks freeloader? This can't be a coincidence, Nintendo is clearly reacting to the freeloader here, and if they are actively trying to block it you can be sure they'll try to get round the alternative boot method.

alex1893

lopaz said:
Wait - from the wiki, first :

As of March 22nd, no software uses IOS37 -- the System Menu currently uses IOS30. An updated System Menu will likely use the new IOS37.

Until the system menu is updated to use IOS37, it will have no effect

Once the system menu is updated to use IOS37, "Trucha-Signed" discs -- or channels -- will stop working, as will the [Datel FreeLoader] disc.

then: Will this block my Trucha Signed discs?
No, not yet. Not until another update is released, at which point we will have to re-evaluate.

I inserted the bolded lines from the wiki... at the moment the update has no effect, because it's no update on the system menu.

to confirm it: I updated right now and freeloader still loads.

and for this "trucha signed" stuff: had to google this, seems to be some kind of way to make pirated copies work on a modded Wii.

Ramenman

lopaz said:
Because it has a feature that blocks freeloader? This can't be a coincidence, Nintendo is clearly reacting to the freeloader here, and if they are actively trying to block it you can be sure they'll try to get round the alternative boot method.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying this is good news or what, it's just everybody going "sell your consoles it's all over" even though nothing's sure for now.

Of course if Nintendo wants to block it, they'll block it. But I don't get it then. Why not just say it ? When Sony woke up one morning and said "Importing PSP Games to Europe is now forbidden" they didn't have to say it twice before Play-Asia stops shipping PSP games to Europe. Importing might not be "illegal" per se, but I'm sure if Nintendo decided to sue Datel they'd win.

Edit : There you have it :
alex1893 said:
and for this "trucha signed" stuff: had to google this, seems to be some kind of way to make pirated copies work on a modded Wii.

This was made to block a way to piracy. So the Alternative Method should'nt have any prob. But it could. But it could not. Hey.

Also, thanks alex, we know we're safe now, for now at least =D

wsippel

Banned
lopaz said:
The Truncha Signer is an application that signs executables so that the Wii will run them, but it doesn't use Nintendos private key. There was a bug in IOS versions prior to 37 that allowed to run those applications (IOS1 to IOS36 only checked if an application was signed, but it didn't check what key it used), and Freeloader seems to use the same bug. The current update doesn't block anything yet, because the loader (Disk Channel) still uses an older IOS version. As soon as the loader is updated to use the latest IOS version, it'll block applications exploiting this bug, including Freeloader.

I also don't really think Nintendo fixed the bug to block Freeloader, but mostly to stop cheaters and hinder pirates.

alex1893

Ramenman said:
Also, thanks alex, we know we're safe now, for now at least =D
no problem, just wanted to share it. I wasn't the first, just read in another forum that it's ok to do it, then I updated my own Wii. :D

At least it's good news for people who maybe haven't updated the shop channel yet to get it WiiWare-ready, they are safe for the moment when this stealth update is included.

Ramenman

alex1893 said:
no problem, just wanted to share it. I wasn't the first, just read in another forum that it's ok to do it, then I updated my own Wii. :D

At least it's good news for people who maybe haven't updated the shop channel yet to get it WiiWare-ready, they are safe for the moment when this stealth update is included.

That's me :p

I had read on another forum that there was no problem, but still I was a bit worried.

D-X

Pretty much I never bother with Wii updates anyway so I'll just keep my Wii offline and enjoy NMH rather than have a shop update or whatever pittance Nintendo want to give us.

[Nintex]

alex1893 said:
I inserted the bolded lines from the wiki... at the moment the update has no effect, because it's no update on the system menu.

to confirm it: I updated right now and freeloader still loads.

So the update that was just released does not block the Freeloader?

Top Bottom