• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Freeloader for Wii Thread of Joy, Happiness, Answers, Bloody NMH and BRAWL

crispyben

OK, so I'm finally taking my first baby steps in the SSBB world, and everything's fine and dandy, except for the fact that I have trouble ejecting the disc afterwards... Anybody else get that? Thanks.

Xyphie

crispyben said:
OK, so I'm finally taking my first baby steps in the SSBB world, and everything's fine and dandy, except for the fact that I have trouble ejecting the disc afterwards... Anybody else get that? Thanks.

Just eject the disc inside the game and turn the console off once you are done gaming. You have to swap discs anyway everytime you want to play.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Yeah, i had the same problem, i tried to eject and turn the console off, and it wouldnt eject, and would make some weird noises :D

F#A#Oo

Banned
crispyben said:

Reset...Eject...turn off Wii...

Rinse and repeat after every session.

F#A#Oo said:
Reset...Eject...turn off Wii...

Rinse and repeat after every session.

Ive found that you can eject the disc without having to switch off the Wii.

Click the return to wii menu button and immediately press the eject button several times rapidily as it loads up the Wii menu. The disc will eject, allowing you to reinsert the freeloader for another game.

Ramenman

I just turn off the console and then press eject. It goes smoothly.

OP updated, at last. I'm a bit late but I've had exams all the week so sorry.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I was reading back throught his thread...people were pointing out that the RGB cable will change the colour of the game or not work for US games or what have you...

I have just found this to be untrue...I recieved an official RGB cable for my Wii (TV in bedroom is SD) and it works just fine. Can't tell any difference between composite and RGB but that's a totally diffrent thread...:lol

Actually I found that in SSB:B the intro colours that usually show up as blue/light blue in a PAL game are now no longer an purple shade...it's actually fixed the colour in SSB:B...

Capndrake

I have the absolute worst luck, got Brawl yesterday and it worked once, now it keeps not reading the disc. Called NoE and asked them for help (Freeloader isn't considered illegal by them, so I said I used it) and they say they can't do anything because it's a Brawl-specific problem, and it isn't out here yet. All they need to do is clean the lens, what the hell?

farnham

Banned
Capndrake said:
I have the absolute worst luck, got Brawl yesterday and it worked once, now it keeps not reading the disc. Called NoE and asked them for help (Freeloader isn't considered illegal by them, so I said I used it) and they say they can't do anything because it's a Brawl-specific problem, and it isn't out here yet. All they need to do is clean the lens, what the hell?
actually no.. thats not the case...

the problem is that nintendo probably shipped some wiis with lenses that cant read dual layer discs.. brawl is like the only dual layered disc right now.. but obviously the wii is meant to read dual layer from the get go...

in other words nintendo fuckin included inferior discs to some wiis (probably launch wiis like mine) and planned to do a repair when dual layer discs became the norm..

so no.. they are actually exchanging the lenses.. not cleaning the lenses...

Capndrake

farnham said:

the problem is that nintendo probably shipped some wiis with lenses that cant read dual layer discs.. brawl is like the only dual layered disc right now.. but obviously the wii is meant to read dual layer from the get go...

in other words nintendo fuckin included inferior discs to some wiis (probably launch wiis like mine) and planned to do a repair when dual layer discs became the norm..

I got the game to work yesterday though. Played it for 5 hours and it ran fine, now it won't work.

alex1893

so my US games arrived today, running on PAL Wii:

- Zack & Wiki: works (already confirmed before)

- PES 2008: works too :D

Couldn't wait for PES and picked up the PAL version on saturday... no problem there, the US version ignores the PAL save file and just installs a new one.

edit:

I've had the red tint problem via RGB too but passed it with a scart switch:

s3g9di.jpg

the first button on the left side does the trick, you can switch RGB on/off with it. :D Well, that means back to composite quality but at least I can play the game with normal colors.

webrunner

farnham said:

Not in this case- he said it worked once.

Capndrake

Just got it to work again, so I guess it's being random. I'll just deal with it until NoE offers lens repairs (Probably next year or something, whenever SSBB is out).

lopaz

Banned
Capndrake said:
If it's not illegal, does that mean we can sue them when they release the update that kills it?

tsef

webrunner said:
Not in this case- he said it worked once.

I have the same problem the game worked 2 or 3 times at most. My Wii has no problem reading any game BUT brawl. The way the drive sounds when trying to play Brawl makes me think the problem is with the lense, I used to have exactly the same thing with my PS1 and PS2 and I solved it by opening my consoles and changing the settings of the lense.

Now I am stucked with a freeloader and a copy of Brawl and since my wii is out of warranty I'd rather wait for to NoE acknowledge the problem and fix it for free than pay 55 or 115 euros depending on how "severe" they think the problem is.

Ramenman

lopaz said:
If it's not illegal, does that mean we can sue them when they release the update that kills it?

No, because when they released the update that "killed" the GC freeloader on the Wii, it was because they fixed a glitch that made piracy possible. And the freeloader was using the same or part of the same "glitch" to work, so it also got blocked in the process. And since it isn't official, they wont bother supporting it.

They never released an update specifically to kill the freeloader. Actually why would they do that with the motherf*ing GAMECUBE freeloader. I mean seriously, it's not like it made them loose gamecube software "sales" at this point in time.

And even on the Wii, it's still far too niche AND scary to some people to make them loose anything noticeable on a sales chart.

Ramenman

OP updated with Odama and Naruto EX 2.

Apparently they've been posted here for some time but I had missed them /ô\

lopaz

Banned
Ramenman said:
No, because when they released the update that "killed" the GC freeloader on the Wii, it was because they fixed a glitch that made piracy possible. And the freeloader was using the same or part of the same "glitch" to work, so it also got blocked in the process. And since it isn't official, they wont bother supporting it.

They never released an update specifically to kill the freeloader. Actually why would they do that with the motherf*ing GAMECUBE freeloader. I mean seriously, it's not like it made them loose gamecube software "sales" at this point in time.

And even on the Wii, it's still far too niche AND scary to some people to make them loose anything noticeable on a sales chart.

Ahhh ok. Btw, I don't really understand the situation atm, is there supposedly an update very soon that will kill the wii freeloader, and is that likely to come with Mario Kart?

farnham

Banned
there are two options really

- just sell your wii on ebay and get a new wii (VC console games should be transferred to your new console with a lame excuse like "uh.. my old one got broken")

- just sell brawl and the freeloader on ebay.. you will get more then you paid for..

mutsu

Just got this in my email inbox:

Play-Asia said:
This is an important e-mail update regarding your pending preorder Mario
Kart Wii (w/ Wii Handle) (Nintendo™ Wii Japan, NTSC J), Order (#).

We received the first small delivery today for testing and unfortunately
we have to inform you, that the game is not compatible with the Datel
Freeloader (US and PAL Version).

In case that this affects your preorder, please contact our customer
service as soon as possible to amend/cancel your order, as otherwise we
will ship your order within the next 48 hours.

If you own a Japanese Wii and you do not want to change your orders, you
do not have to reply to this email.

Once again thanks for shopping with us and sorry for the inconvenience
caused.

Your Play-Asia.com Customer Service
http://www.play-asia.com

In case anyone is interested to know.

crispyben

Play-Asia said:
We received the first small delivery today for testing and unfortunately
we have to inform you, that the game is not compatible with the Datel
Freeloader (US and PAL Version).
What does it mean?

- You cannot play the game using a Freeloader?
- an update is required to play the game, which breaks the Freeloader?

crispyben said:
What does it mean?

- You cannot play the game using a Freeloader?
- an update is required to play the game, which breaks the Freeloader?

Maybe the Freeloader can't skip parts of the update like it does with Brawl, so it ends up installing the whole new firmware. Which would probably completely bugger up an American or PAL system. Or something.

crispyben

A poster on a French forum, who works in a VG store, reports the following:

- inserting MKWii in the console installs an update which breaks the Freeloader
- inserting the Freeloader once then MKWii brings up Error 00293, game won't play
- inserting the Freeloader twice then MKWii, the game seems to work but without sound

[Nintex]

So, is it the Freeloader that doesn't work or Mario Kart?

Can I still play Brawl on my PAL console? and if not when the fuck is Nintendo releasing that game! If Mario Kart breaks the Freeloader I'm going to call NoE and tell them that they're useless assholes.

[Nintex] said:
So, is it the Freeloader that doesn't work or Mario Kart?

Can I still play Brawl on my PAL console? and if not when the fuck is Nintendo releasing that game! If Mario Kart breaks the Freeloader I'm going to call NoE and tell them that they're useless assholes.
Mario Kart doesn't work, read it. Each sentence references Mario Kart.

farnham

Banned
[Nintex] said:
But the Freeloader does? If it applies to Mario Kart only there isn't much of a problem.
the freeloader breaks.. says that forum member

but that makes no sense.. he tested the freeloader afterwards with the alternative bootup mode...

Dascu

Wait wait wait.

If I play a PAL version of Mario Kart and use it on my PAL Wii, is it going to install a firmware update that fucks up my Freeloader?

crispyben

Dascu said:
Wait wait wait.

If I play a PAL version of Mario Kart and use it on my PAL Wii, is it going to install a firmware update that fucks up my Freeloader?
From what I gather, yes.

That forum user has access to several Wii in his store, and he tried a different approach on each (see my above post). Now it seems that using composite with the last option brings the sound back, but still no online.

Netto-kun

farnham said:
the freeloader breaks.. says that forum member

but that makes no sense.. he tested the freeloader afterwards with the alternative bootup mode...
Apparently, the person who wrote the post works in a VG store, so maybe he tested on 2-3 different Wiis?

Edit: Beaten to it!

[Nintex]

crispyben said:
I don't condone piracy at all, and hopefully this won't get me banned, but it seems that the ISO doesn't block the Freeloader... Talk about irony!
I'll have to wait and see, if the Freeloader is blocked I'll throw my PAL Wii within 4 or 5 bussines days through their fucking window...

farnham

Banned
crispyben said:
From what I gather, yes.

That forum user has access to several Wii in his store, and he tried a different approach on each (see my above post). Now it seems that using composite with the last option brings the sound back, but still no online.
so alternate bootup + composite means the game works right..??

crispyben

APZonerunner said:
Hopefully it'll work. Not so much for Mario Kart but for Wii Fit, for there are people in this household that quite fancy that.
Another user on the board reports that playing a retail copy of MKWii and installing the update that comes with it does indeed block the Freeloader. As he only owns one Wii, he cannot confirm the other possibilities...

farnham said:
so alternate bootup + composite means the game works right..??
From what I gather yes, although it seems to block the online part of the game.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for not willing to wade through 14 pages of posts, but I just got SSBB and tried to load it, but it failed. When I insert the disc after the Freeloader works it magic, I can see the SSBB logo just fine and all, but when I click start I just get a black screen.

This is on a European console btw and I haven't updated my firmware in over a year, I think. Could this be the problem? If so, if I update my Wii now, will the Freeloader still work?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Nils said:
Sorry for not willing to wade through 14 pages of posts, but I just got SSBB and tried to load it, but it failed. When I insert the disc after the Freeloader works it magic, I can see the SSBB logo just fine and all, but when I click start I just get a black screen.

This is on a European console btw and I haven't updated my firmware in over a year, I think. Could this be the problem? If so, if I update my Wii now, will the Freeloader still work?

Did you do the update from the ssbb disc ?

farnham

Banned
Nils said:

use alternate mode

1. insert freeloader
2. put it out
3. insert freeloader
4. put it out
5. insert smash
6. enjoy

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It asked me for one when I tried the alternate bootup, but I turned the console off because I wasn't sure if it'd bascially destroy Freeloader or not.

Edit: Tried the alternate bootup again, and now it's asking me for the system update again. Am I required to do this, or is this a Nintendo trap?

Kafel

Banned
Nils said:
It asked me for one when I tried the alternate bootup, but I turned the console off because I wasn't sure if it'd bascially destroy Freeloader or not.

Edit: Tried the alternate bootup again, and now it's asking me for the system update. Am I required to do this, or is this a Nintendo trap?

Do it.

edit : no ! noooooo ! wait ! DON'T !
nah it's ok.

Top Bottom