• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Freeloader for Wii Thread of Joy, Happiness, Answers, Bloody NMH and BRAWL

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Nils said:
It asked me for one when I tried the alternate bootup, but I turned the console off because I wasn't sure if it'd bascially destroy Freeloader or not.

Edit: Tried the alternate bootup again, and now it's asking me for the system update again. Am I required to do this, or is this a Nintendo trap?

Do the update from the ssbb disc.

[Nintex]

Nils said:
It asked me for one when I tried the alternate bootup, but I turned the console off because I wasn't sure if it'd bascially destroy Freeloader or not.

Edit: Tried the alternate bootup again, and now it's asking me for the system update again. Am I required to do this, or is this a Nintendo trap?
Do this:

Update your Wii firmware to 3.2E(if you haven't already)
Insert Freeloader twice
Insert Smash
Install update
Reset
Insert Freeloader
Insert Smash
Play!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Installed the update and reset the console and it's still doing the same thing it did before. When I see the SSBB logo and start the game I'm met with an eternal wall of blackness.

Really have no clue as to what the problem could be. I might try hooking the console up to my other tv, not that I expect that to really do the trick.

Dascu

Nils said:
Installed the update and reset the console and it's still doing the same thing it did before. When I see the SSBB logo and start the game I'm met with an eternal wall of blackness.

Really have no clue as to what the problem could be. I might try hooking the console up to my other tv, not that I expect that to really do the trick.
What's the language of your console set to? Be sure it's set to English.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Nils said:

What video connection you using ?

What is the FW of your Wii ?

If its REALLY old, maybe it wont work. Altough i know it works with both 3.2 and 3.1 for sure.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It's Firmware 3.1E and I'm using the regular scart that came with the console.

luffeN

i tried it also with a scart cable, but got a nice red filter.. so black and red only :) then i went for the yuv (component) cable and everything works fine

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh, I get the feeling it's gonna be impossible to find those cables in any store around here. Anyone know a good place to order them online? Thanks for all the help so far btw.

Though I'm not sure it's gonna work as I don't even get a filter. As soon as the game is booted up, the AV channel acts as if there's no console hooked up. Just a black screen and the AV/EXT/...icon, which pops up the second I boot the game.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I dont know, do your TV support ntsc 60hz through the entry that its connected to at least ? Its a crt or lcd ? Is the Wiii set to 60hz ?

Just making sure.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
FINALLY! The Wii was set to 50hz mode, it's running fine now. Again thanks for enduring my barrage of common questions.

crispyben

Conflicting reports are now emerging that if a PAL Wii is already in 3.2 firmware (including the WiiWare related update), it will play the retail PAL MKWii without an update prompt and therefore without blocking the PAL Freeloader...

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
All we know for sure is that MK wii JP doesnt work on a PAL wii with a Freeloader.

As for MK wii PAL blocking the freeloader, this morning i have read about everything, working, not working, semi working etc. :D

Wizpig

So, anyone tested if Mario Kart Wii PAL - on a PAL Wii - updates something that fucks up the Freeloader?

Or does the FL still works even after MK Wii?

Wizpig

crispyben said:
Conflicting reports are now emerging that if a PAL Wii is already in 3.2 firmware (including the WiiWare related update), it will play the retail PAL MKWii without an update prompt and therefore without blocking the PAL Freeloader...
What.

Sounds good but we need something 100% official, dammit.

crispyben said:

A friend of mine tried (PAL) Mario Kart on a PAL Wii, and was not prompted with an update. So I guess it's true that if the Wii is updated, you won't screw over the Freeloader.

My Freeloader isn't running properly. It can detect Smash is in the tray, it plays the Wii Menu "splash" screen, but when I click start it goes dead, system is still on but just black nothingness... =(

Cube games work for a few seconds/minutes, then freeze...

Wizpig

Android18a said:
My Freeloader isn't running properly. It can detect Smash is in the tray, it plays the Wii Menu "splash" screen, but when I click start it goes dead, system is still on but just black nothingness... =(

Cube games work for a few seconds/minutes, then freeze...
Did you buy/use Mario Kart Wii PAL?

Or is just your Freeloader fucking around on its own?

Wizpig said:
Did you buy/use Mario Kart Wii PAL?

Or is just your Freeloader fucking around on its own?

Nope, dont have MK or intend to get it. Just Smash Bros.

It's just being manky. I just set the screen from 60 to 50 to 60 again, see if that helps. lol.

Wizpig

FoxHimself said:
A friend of mine tried (PAL) Mario Kart on a PAL Wii, and was not prompted with an update. So I guess it's true that if the Wii is updated, you won't screw over the Freeloader.
Well, good, i guess.

I didn't update the Wii in these months, so i updated it today with the latest firmware just for this.

luffeN

hmm, a friend in our forum told me, that although he had the wiiware update installed, mk wii prompted another update.. hmm guess i have to try it myself in a few hours! ill post results

So far everyone is testing PAL Wii units, with just that one guy at a video game store claiming he tested JP Mario Kart Wii on a an NTSC-U unit and it didn't work with every possible method he tried?

Ugh, I don't want to have to go through the return process with Play-Asia, shipping it back will be a nightmare in costs and stupid export paperwork...

Does the PAL version work on NSTC-U units? If so, where can I import it - Game.co.uk doesn't have it in stock to pre-order...any other suggestions (NCSX doesn't carry PAL version).

lopaz

Banned
To people saying if you are already 3.2 then MK won't make you update, I ask - is the update that Brawl performs a 3.2 update? Cause I can't get online so I can't get updates that way

luffeN

soooooo. i had the wiiware update, inserted freeloader once, put in mario kart wii.. everything works fine. wii turned off, on again, freeloader + brawl -> works as well...

so, now what, GAF?

masterkajo

banKai said:
soooooo. i had the wiiware update, inserted freeloader once, put in mario kart wii.. everything works fine. wii turned off, on again, freeloader + brawl -> works as well...

so, now what, GAF?
Sounds good! My copy is on its way to me and will hopefully arrive tomorrow. I also have Freeloader and SSBB and do not want to give it up, therefore I hope you can verify the following (even though you somehow already did, but I just want to be 100% sure):

- You have a PAL Wii and SSBB and Freeloader.
- Wii System 3.2 plus WiiWare update from march.
- You are playing Mario Kart Wii PAL with the Freeloader in order to skip the update that would make the Freeloader useless.
- You are still able to play SSBB with the Freeloader even after playing Mario Kart Wii.
- Everything works without errors.
- You are happy ;)

crispyben

lopaz said:
To people saying if you are already 3.2 then MK won't make you update, I ask - is the update that Brawl performs a 3.2 update? Cause I can't get online so I can't get updates that way
Check for yourself in the Wii Settings menu, in the upper right-hand corner...

Wizpig

masterkajo said:
- Wii System 3.2 plus WiiWare update from march.
What's that?
I updated my Wii today, obviously it says 3.2 but... WiiWare update?
Is that included in the 3.2 Update?
- You are playing Mario Kart Wii PAL with the Freeloader in order to skip the update that would make the Freeloader useless.
Huh?
A friend of mine with PAL MK Wii and PAL 3.2 Wii said MK Wii doesn't fuck up your freeloader even if you put it in WITHOUT freeloader, simply because MK Wii doesn't have an update in the disc - or anyway, it doesn't say you to update the Wii if you have 3.2.
Also, using the Freeloader for a PAL game on a PAL Wii is ... stupid?

masterkajo

Wizpig said:
What's that?
I updated my Wii today, obviously it says 3.2 but... WiiWare update?
Is that included in the 3.2 Update?Huh?
A friend of mine with PAL MK Wii and PAL 3.2 Wii said MK Wii doesn't fuck up your freeloader even if you put it in WITHOUT freeloader, simply because MK Wii doesn't have an update in the disc - or anyway, it doesn't say you to update the Wii if you have 3.2.
Also, using the Freeloader for a PAL game on a PAL Wii is ... stupid?
In March there was an update for the Wii Shop Channel (even though you had to perform a Wii System Update) to get it ready for the launch of WiiWare in May. After the update it still says Wii System 3.2 even though it already did before... so that is the ominous WiiWare Update ;)
Everytime you perform a Wii System Update you get the newest version, so the update you did today gave you the latest version including the "WiiWare Update"!

I heard from different internet sources (although not very reliable) that the Update MKWii performs, blocks the Freeloader. I hope it is not ture, but if it should turn out to be, you can still use the Freeloader and boot PAL games with it, since games booted with Freeloader (insert once, not twice) have their update skipped by Freeloader.

lopaz

Banned
crispyben said:
Check for yourself in the Wii Settings menu, in the upper right-hand corner...

I did, it does say 3.2. Thankfully, I just got my wifi connector to work so I can do the wii shop update :D. I'll wait a couple of days just so people can confirm/deny these rumors

masterkajo said:
Freeloader. I hope it is not ture, but if it should turn out to be, you can still use the Freeloader and boot PAL games with it, since games booted with Freeloader (insert once, not twice) have their update skipped by Freeloader.

are you serious? If that's the case then why would there ever be a problem with PAL games blocking freeloader, you can just bypass their updates...

masterkajo

lopaz said:
are you serious? If that's the case then why would there ever be a problem with PAL games blocking freeloader, you can just bypass their updates...
Because some games require the update to be installed before they can work properly. I don't know if that is the case with MKWii and I don't know if the update even renders the Freeloader useless so I'll have to wait as my copy is still on its way and should arrive tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

lopaz

Banned
masterkajo said:
Because some games require the update to be installed before they can work properly. I don't know if that is the case with MKWii but I don't know if the update even renders the Freeloader useless so I'll have to wait as my copy is still on its way and should arrive tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

ah right. I'm feeling optimistic atm, seems some people have found ways of using MKWii without blocking it. I really want that game, but it's not worth blocking Brawl over

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
F#A#Oo said:
How can a game block the freeloader?

Well, the MK wii update doesnt load the IOS37 ( that will supoosedly break the trucha exploit/freeloader).

People are saying freeloader works just fine even with the MKwii update.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Kandrick said:
Well, the MK wii update doesnt load the IOS37 ( that will supoosedly break the trucha exploit/freeloader).

People are saying freeloader works just fine even with the MKwii update.

Hmm...so let me get this straight.

I have updated to the very latest Wii firmware...3.2E. Plus the update that they did a few days later this IOS37. Once I try and boot up my MK Wii it will tell me to update thus making the Freeloader useless...and Datel will have to be contacted about making good on their promise to replace my now useless Freeloader?

Is that right?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
F#A#Oo said:
Hmm...so let me get this straight.

I have updated to the very latest Wii firmware...3.2E. Plus the update that they did a few days later this IOS37. Once I try and boot up my MK Wii it will tell me to update thus making the Freeloader useless...and Datel will have to be contacted about making good on their promise to replace my now useless Freeloader?

Is that right?

No, the update in the MK wii disc doesnt break the freeloader. Thats the latest news.

Until someome else post somewhere that it broke his console etc.

crispyben

farnham said:
any update about the problem..?
OK guys & girls, good news all around! I found MKWii in Paris today, popped the game in my 3.2E PAL Wii, launched the game without any kind of update, played online with sound, installed the MK Channel, went back to the Wii menu, popped in the Freeloader and launched SSBB without any problem. :D

Good news for people with a PAL Wii, Freeloader and Brawl. Everything works fine. The update that comes with MK is 3.2E, which was released a few weeks back. There's no problem about putting in MK and playing straight away. I tested Freeloader with Brawl afterwards and it's perfect. I spent about 20 minutes testing it on 2 Wiis(3.2E) today and both ran it perfectly. Wasn't actually working today but went in to pick up MK early and it works perfectly on my PAL machine at home and so does Brawl. Great news. :)

We also got in a huge amount of MK, 70 in total and something like 40 wheels. Keep in mind we're only a small shop as well.

Wizpig

crispyben said:
OK guys & girls, good news all around! I found MKWii in Paris today, popped the game in my 3.2E PAL Wii, launched the game without any kind of update, played online with sound, installed the MK Channel, went back to the Wii menu, popped in the Freeloader and launched SSBB without any problem. :D
Awwright.
It's official then.

MK Wii won't fuck up your Freeloader.
Good.

farnham

Banned
crispyben said:

Wow you live in Paris... you already are playing brawl (i have the copy and cant play it lol) and you are playing MK too... the world knows no justice...

urayamashina...

Wizpig said:
Awwright.
It's official then.

MK Wii won't fuck up your Freeloader.
Good.
:D :D :D :D :D

I ball

Does anyone know if the PAL version of the game will work on a NSTC-U with the freeloader?

I just ordered the freeloader so I could pick up MK Friday since I live in Holland but with a NSTC-U Wii..

Top Bottom