• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xemu said:
4186-gtaiv-multiplayer-screenshot.jpg

Wow. First shot to really give me a sense of the map...

Edit: removed shot since it wasn't a valid link anymore :(
Re-Edit: switched to gtanet's copy of the pic
EPIC. Wow.

AkuMifune

Banned
newsguy said:
This is getting out of hand. I've been hyped for many games over the years, but never like this. The crazy thing is that this is the 3rd post in the thread involving GTA dreams, myself being one of them. My dream was so vivid it included the lock-on target that I was slightly adjusting for a headshot.

In my defense, I was up really late last night catching up on this thread, and basically falling asleep at the keyboard, so it was on my mind right before I passed out. Still, I haven't been this excited for a game since GTAIII, which is saying alot. I'm convinced this is going to be more epic than even GAF is anticipating.

Ranger X

notjackbauer said:
that Xbox 360 World article says they've condensed all the skyscrapers into south algonquin. that's weird if it's true- there are huge buildings throughout manhattan, at least up to central park. empire state building next to the brooklyn bridge is gonna bug me.

Well, the city isn't New York... :p

voltron

The thing that appeals most to me as far as multiplayer goes is something that Sam Houser touched on in that interview with NextGen last week.... the ability to just jump in to each others world and hang out/do shit sounds so cool. Its been done before in game like Crackdown but to do it in GTA would be something else.

That picture is only like a quarter of the game too. This game may not be bigger than SA in terms of square mileage, but it's definitely much bigger in terms of unique things to see and explore. I can't fucking wait.

Cassano

I understand why they're there, but I was/am hoping that the markers in MP wouldn't show for enemies (or atleast wouldn't show until you knew they were enemies) so you could try and blend in with the crowd.

Although looking at some more of the MP screenshots it might be the case.

Heh the website has a silhouette outline of all the radio stations, confirming that there are [18 stations. I know the number has been said, but some have said it's only 12 or 14.

camineet

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
That picture is only like a quarter of the game too. This game may not be as big as SA in terms of square mileage, but it's definitely much bigger in terms of unique things to see and explore. I can't fucking wait.

fixed :)

chubigans said:
Just got my Game Informer in the mail with some (new?) GTA tidbits:

"Select a weapon with the d-pad. At this point the game offers the choice between free targeting and auto lock, or a combo of both. Depress teh left trigger halfway and go into an "aim mode" similar to Gears of War. Click the right analog for a further, fine targeting zoom. At any point you can fully press the left trigger and cycle between auto targets by flicking the right stick. You do have some flexibility even with auto targeting, as you can move it to various limbs and appendages on the target, doing a quick kneecap or headshot.

...hmm...that control method with aiming sounds a hair needlessly complicated =/
.....who knows though, perhaps it will become second nature.

dork

Banned
Multiplayer always looks worse than singleplayer, and those images are distorted. Games ALWAYS look better in motion, people need to relax

dork said:
Multiplayer always looks worse than singleplayer, and those images are distorted. Games ALWAYS look better in motion, people need to relax

COD4 looks pretty great in MP. Shame GTA couldn't look as good as Warhawk in MP but then again Rockstar have never made impressive looking games.

FightyF

Banned
Bearillusion said:
COD4 looks pretty great in MP. Shame GTA couldn't look as good as Warhawk in MP but then again Rockstar have never made impressive looking games.

Warhawk's maps are far smaller, and much of the terrain is simple geometry...there's not even a comparison here.

Those MP screens look alright visually. Hopefully there's customization of your MP character!

newsguy

FightyF said:
Warhawk's maps are far smaller, and much of the terrain is simple geometry...there's not even a comparison here.

Those MP screens look alright visually. Hopefully there's customization of your MP character!

If you mean CoD4 perks type customization, I don't know. If you mean looks, like hats, shirts, etc, then yes that's been confirmed.

Those complaining about multiplayer graphics need to look at the big picture and just how much is going on at once. CoD4 multi are small maps. A chopper comes down once in a while and shoots at you. In GTA you are in the chopper firing and from that view you will see the map is much, much larger not to mention tons more geometry.

Just finished Bully . . . not a 100%, but the main story line. I'd recommend it if you want something to keep you entertained before GTA IV hits the street. It is definitely a bit a rough around the edges but since it got patched, it is pretty stable.

FightyF

Banned
newsguy said:
If you mean CoD4 perks type customization, I don't know. If you mean looks, like hats, shirts, etc, then yes that's been confirmed.

I was hoping visually a la Saint's Row. If not, the next best thing is to be able to play as characters from the game.

Those complaining about multiplayer graphics need to look at the big picture and just how much is going on at once. CoD4 multi are small maps. A chopper comes down once in a while and shoots at you. In GTA you are in the chopper firing and from that view you will see the map is much, much larger not to mention tons more geometry.

My personal comparisons would be to SR, but SR's levels were much more closed, and only a handful of vehicles in a map. Also, there were no day/night cycles involved (I don't know if GTA4 MP has day/night cycles though).

I'm not complaining or overly disappointed...just not wowed. It's all about the gameplay, and the graphics facilitate it rather well.

I wonder if there are day/night cycles in MP as well. It would be awesome for a round to start during the afternoon and end and midnight, if that's the case, the MP visuals became much more impressive in my eyes.

I am also considering the fact that these screens are of open spaces...a gunfight in the middle of a neighborhood would look pretty awesome.

Xemu said:
http://media.gtanet.com/images/4186-gtaiv-multiplayer-screenshot.jpg

Wow. First shot to really give me a sense of the map...

Edit: removed shot since it wasn't a valid link anymore :(
Re-Edit: switched to gtanet's copy of the pic

WOW!!!! Thanks :D

voltron

speculawyer said:
Just finished Bully . . . not a 100%, but the main story line. I'd recommend it if you want something to keep you entertained before GTA IV hits the street. It is definitely a bit a rough around the edges but since it got patched, it is pretty stable.

Same here. Great little game that one... now Im just going through combing out all the achievements. It took me so long to work out that to get a dude to kiss you you had to actually talk to them first... I was just targeting them and looking for a little heart so I could never find one that way (for the achievement guys).

Now trying to the the errand achievement (30 errands) but none seem to want to spawn now for some reason.

My bad if this has been covered.

Will there be recognizable sections of Liberty City from GTA III? Like is there any point booting up GTA III and driving around to relearn some areas?

raYne

CaptainStrong said:
My bad if this has been covered.

Will there be recognizable sections of Liberty City from GTA III? Like is there any point booting up GTA III and driving around to relearn some areas?
It's the same city, so yes. It's also been said in previews that you'll recognize parts of the city, the area around your first hideout in 3 for example, right away by driving around.

Tr4nce said:
Wow, that map is so cool! I love how they give you a real map with each GTA. Awesome!
I've never used one of those maps during gameplay in my life. I just skim over them while reading the manual or whatever and never touch them again.

Xemu

I hope you enjoyed your little rebellion, irritant. But remember, what SHODAN gives she is more than able to take away.
Each of those islands looks about as big (street / content wise) as a city from San Andreas, which makes me happy...

voltron

raYne said:
It's the same city, so yes. It's also been said in previews that you'll recognize parts of the city, the area around your first hideout in 3 for example, right away by driving around.

I've never used one of those maps during gameplay in my life. I just skim over them while reading the manual or whatever and never touch them again.

Put the map up on the wall next or near to your computer screen (or TV). Helps ingrain the map into your synapses.

raYne

voltron said:
Put the map up on the wall next or near to your computer screen (or TV). Helps ingrain the map into your synapses.
It could, but as in real life, you learn the layout of the city by just driving around. I can navigate my way from any point in GTA3/VC/SA/Saints Row etc to another, without running into a dead end and taking all the shortcuts if needed.

Even without that, you have the Nav systems now.

Bizzyb

Banned
That map looks HUGE. And the Subway system is a nice touch of realism.
I wonder how long the average trip around each system would take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom