• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

DW8 is 18GB.

XL is 22GB.

There's no way the expansion content in XL is bigger than the base game.

Sounds feasible that expansion content is just 4GB - IF the function is simply DRM - and that all content is already included in the 22GB, just locked away by the remix function.

I've personally always doubted that 'carry over data from the original' description that they give for remix.

No, the only versions that are advertised as having both games are the Vita and PS4 versions.

How do you think the mixjoy feature works? You can't just load an entire game's worth of data into RAM. The entirety of vanilla DW8 HAS to be on the XL disc. It's always been that way, as far back as the PS2 versions.

Then delete vanilla if you don't care for trophies? Not sure if anyone has an idea as Lyte Edge said not sure if anyone's bought both games digitally.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sounds feasible that expansion content is just 4GB - IF the function is simply DRM - and that all content is already included in the 22GB, just locked away by the remix function.

That IS exactly what it is. If you know where to look you can find the sizes of all the PS2 DW games. And every single one from DW3 onward, the XL disc has been slightly bigger than the vanilla disc. XL has always had the entirety of the vanilla game locked away behind the remix function.

Then delete vanilla if you don't care for trophies?

The thing is, I don't have confirmation that you CAN delete it afterwards. When you're using the disc versions, you need to re-insert the DW8 disc every few days so it can re-verify. You shouldn't have to do that with digital versions, since you'll always own it, can't sell it, etc. But Koei has done things that make no sense plenty of times in the past, and I wouldn't put it past them to require you to keep vanilla DW8 around for no discernible reason whatsoever.

That IS exactly what it is. If you know where to look you can find the sizes of all the PS2 DW games. And every single one from DW3 onward, the XL disc has been slightly bigger than the vanilla disc. XL has always had the entirety of the vanilla game locked away behind the remix function.

lol yes figured as much, TK sure does know how to monetize their shit, leading to situations where DW8 + XL digital accomplishes in 40GB what could have been done in 22GB.

For efficiency's sake they should release a 100kb XL unlock key to license holders of the original DW8

I am hoping that the 'complete editions' would continue on from DW9 onwards but it seems like it will happen only if there's a switch in platforms.

The thing is, I don't have confirmation that you CAN delete it afterwards. When you're using the disc versions, you need to re-insert the DW8 disc every few days so it can re-verify. You shouldn't have to do that with digital versions, since you'll always own it, can't sell it, etc. But Koei has done things that make no sense plenty of times in the past, and I wouldn't put it past them to require you to keep vanilla DW8 around for no discernible reason whatsoever.

Seems from reading around Koei is that incompetent enough that you'll need to keep vanilla install for mixjoy even for the digital version =/

Xtreme Legends should really be downloadable DLCs/retail installation disks by this point =/

I think the reason they did a Zelda Musou instead of a Fire Emblem Musou is that Skyward Sword had plenty of assets they could reuse and an artstyle to easily emulate.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I think the reason they did a Zelda Musou instead of a Fire Emblem Musou is that Skyward Sword had plenty of assets they could reuse and an artstyle to easily emulate.

Everyone knows Zelda. Fire Emblem isn't anywhere near as popular a game.

My concern is that by going the Zelda route, there won't be enough playable characters. But maybe they want to have a smaller cast with large skill trees/movesets, Hokuto Musou style.

Everyone knows Zelda. Fire Emblem isn't anywhere near as popular a game.

My concern is that by going the Zelda route, there won't be enough playable characters. But maybe they want to have a smaller cast with large skill trees/movesets, Hokuto Musou style.

I think there's a nonzero chance it will just be Link with different weapons to change styles.

Currently probably the best one will be Gundam Warriors 3 I think, but 4 is apparently coming out soon for PS3 only so could wait on that. I'm not sure of framerate, but possibly safer to go with PS3 versions. What with DW8 on 360 prepatch being incredibly terrible XD

XD very true, but as long as you have only yourself to blame for them being poorly place it be worth it. Healers will be reinforcement officers =P
Also I think if they ever did Fire Emblem Musou, Omega Force should really make their own characters and add some fan favourites via Deus ex Machina Dimensional gates.

Thanks, had no idea DWG 4 was in the works, I may just wait for that or see if I can find DWG3 somewhere

Lyte Edge

Going by Samurai_Heart's response, it seems you'll need to keep both installed.

Instead of just going on about this for days now, why not just delete DW8 and see what happens with XL? You can always download DW8 again.

Lyte Edge

Thanks, had no idea DWG 4 was in the works, I may just wait for that or see if I can find DWG3 somewhere

A lot of people didn't seem very happy with DWG4 and think it's just a recyclefest from the third game.

I didn't play DWG2 and 3 and imported DWG4 last year (the Japanese title is Shin Gundam Musou, which is an indication that they started over). It seems pretty good to me, but I wish they'd kept the cel-shaded style from the previous game.

I hope Hyrule Warriors is this year. I'm really interested in whether it will be fully voiced, including Link. I don't care about having voice acting in Zelda games at all but I'm curious if Nintendo would allow it in a spinoff or if the developers would even consider it considering the source material.

I also hope it doesn't just disappear like SMT X Fire Emblem seems to have done.

Prototype

Did anyone else here enjoy the weight from FotNS: Ken's Rage? I really loved this game when it came out and haven't played the second one. After I played Ken' Rage the next Warriors game I played was Gundam 3, but man, that game was like the total opposite direction, there was no weight to the system and slicing thruogh enemies, they felt like they weren't even there.

Any other warriors games similar to Ken's Rage? (more weight/impact) Is the sequel any good?

Warewolf

I can't stand Dynasty Warriors.

But I love, love, LOVE that some people just can't get enough. Carry on Warriors fans. Carry on.

Did anyone else here enjoy the weight from FotNS: Ken's Rage? I really loved this game when it came out and haven't played the second one. After I played Ken' Rage the next Warriors game I played was Gundam 3, but man, that game was like the total opposite direction, there was no weight to the system and slicing thruogh enemies, they felt like they weren't even there.

Any other warriors games similar to Ken's Rage? (more weight/impact) Is the sequel any good?

I'm interested in this well. Loved the impact of simply punching enemies but haven't tried the second one yet after hearing it wasn't so good.

Then again, a lot of people didn't like the original so maybe I'd love the sequel.

A lot of people didn't seem very happy with DWG4 and think it's just a recyclefest from the third game.

I didn't play DWG2 and 3 and imported DWG4 last year (the Japanese title is Shin Gundam Musou, which is an indication that they started over). It seems pretty good to me, but I wish they'd kept the cel-shaded style from the previous game.

Hmm thanks for the impressions. I found DWG3 for $30 on BestSku with free shipping so I'll give that a go and decide on DWG4 later on when that comes out

Prototype

I'm interested in this well. Loved the impact of simply punching enemies but haven't tried the second one yet after hearing it wasn't so good.

Then again, a lot of people didn't like the original so maybe I'd love the sequel.

ya, i've just heard bad things about FosNS 2. The fact that it's digital only (ps3, Wii u) means, unless it's on a massive sale, I'm not going to buy it.

I loved that game, even aside from the source material (which I also love), the wieght and impact of the hits felt heavy and it made me feel powerful. Ken's Rage is one of 2 games that I got a Platinum on, simply by playing the shit out of it. Wasn't even trying, it was just a fun game that I wanted to keep playing.

On a slightly different subject, I have high hopes for Hyrule Warriors. That game could end up being a lot of fun. Looking forward to more info on it.

edit: Bal, you may be on to something actually. People seem not to like the 1st game either, so maybe, the 2nd game is something we'd like afterall LOL.

Silky

Banned
Can we talk about call of duty in this thread, I mean if anything CoD is Shootbang Musou

--

jokes aside I'm still patiently waiting on a drop for Pirate Musou's price

Can we talk about call of duty in this thread, I mean if anything CoD is Shootbang Musou

--

jokes aside I'm still patiently waiting on a drop for Pirate Musou's price

PSN price drops HA were going to be waiting a while for that (I missed the sale too a few months ago !)

Yawnier

Banned
I think Pirate Warriors 2's price has been dropped permanently to $30 from $50 and it might have been on sale for less once before.

TreIII

I think there's a nonzero chance it will just be Link with different weapons to change styles.
I don't see it that way. One character with several weapons to access would be basically like having DW7/8 with only Zhao Yun as the only playable character.

I mean, it could be done that way, but why not go all the way with the Weapon Switch?

ya, i've just heard bad things about FosNS 2. The fact that it's digital only (ps3, Wii u) means, unless it's on a massive sale, I'm not going to buy it.

I loved that game, even aside from the source material (which I also love), the wieght and impact of the hits felt heavy and it made me feel powerful. Ken's Rage is one of 2 games that I got a Platinum on, simply by playing the shit out of it. Wasn't even trying, it was just a fun game that I wanted to keep playing.

On a slightly different subject, I have high hopes for Hyrule Warriors. That game could end up being a lot of fun. Looking forward to more info on it.

edit: Bal, you may be on to something actually. People seem not to like the 1st game either, so maybe, the 2nd game is something we'd like afterall LOL.

I actually completely forgot it was on the Wii U. I might pick it up but digital prices in the UK are crazy.

Yawnier

Banned

I also enjoyed the weight that the combat had too, but I wasn't a big fan of the overall game itself. I should give it another shot sometime though.

GrayFoxPL

Ken's Rage 2 is retail in Europe.

I loved the original the gameplay and Chart system are perfect and made it my favorite musou game. I only left it with few % left to platinum.

I was so hyped about the sequel, but man what a disappointment. They destroyed the chart system. There are no moves to unlock, it's all just stats griding and matching most powerful artifacts. Why would they take away all initiative of playing character and unlocking his moves?

No jumping, jump canceling, limited combat where juggling is dumbed down or almost non existent, no exploring. Boring levels. Boring fights. Lack of impact from enemies - sometimes you lose health but don't even realize that someone hit you.

The worst thing are QTE that, I'm not kidding, have cheap sprites as prompt buttons that, check this out, don't match if you changed buttons from default configuration!

Some good parts are tons of characters that you wished were in original and story mode that goes on forever, way further then Raoh saga.

Then delete vanilla if you don't care for trophies? Not sure if anyone has an idea as Lyte Edge said not sure if anyone's bought both games digitally.
Instead of just going on about this for days now, why not just delete DW8 and see what happens with XL? You can always download DW8 again.
He is trying to get clarification on this because he doesn't own the game. If you have to keep DW8's install on your system to use it's modes for DW8XL then he isn't going to buy it. It would be ridiculous if they make you waste 40 GB to play the game when all the DW8 data is there in the XL install already.

Yawnier

Banned
He is trying to get clarification on this because he doesn't own the game. If you have to keep DW8's install on your system to use it's modes for DW8XL then he isn't going to buy it. It would be ridiculous if they make you waste 40 GB to play the game when all the DW8 data is there in the XL install already.

I don't know the answer to his particular question, but I'm sort of impressed nobody else here knows the answer to it.

You could try Koei Warriors? Maybe somebody over there knows lol?

mr.rager

Been watching some SW4 vids and I can't take it anymore. Gonna grab a copy while i'm in Japan next month. The game just looks so fun. Also grabbing Basara 4 :s

Yawnier

Banned
If SW4 isn't announced for localization in the next few months I don't think we will ever see a western release of it and I hope things don't come down to that.

In inspchin and that one producer we trust.

TreIII

Well, for those of you want it? I hope you guys end up enjoying SW4 more than I do. I imported it earlier this week, and so far, most of my qualms with the game echo Tetsuo9999's.

As far as Musou mechanics/gimmicks go, Shinsoku/Godspeed is what I consider to be a miss. A "better peon basher" that's nigh-useless against Officers makes it so that the newest, shiniest and (in some cases) only aspects that redeem some of these 8-10 year old movesets...doesn't really work used against the most worthwhile opposition in the game.

At most, I'm willing to give Omega Force props in that this might be a good foundation for what they may plan to do with future games. But coming off of the likes of BASARA 4, Gundam Musou 3 and One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2? SW4 just doesn't do as much for me as I was hoping for.

Ah, well. Onward to the likes of Kamen Rider Battride 2 and Zelda Musou.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh yeah, Battride War 2, no one really seems to be talking about the latest updates...

Gaim and Baron are both confirmed, and Ryugen's featured in the Story Mode, so I bet he'll be playable.

The graphics look a bit nicer, I'm hoping the missions are more varied. There's also an actual human character model, this samurai from the OOO Movie, who may or may not, I'm not sure, is playable and rides a horse, so I'm wondering if we might see other human characters.

Josephl64

I just can't get into Basara, played the first 3 games each on the offchance that maybe I was wrong about the series, but I just seem to like the gameplay of the Warriors series more.

Something has to be wrong with me I guess...

SMK

I freaking loved the first Ken's Rage. Thouzer was my man although I enjoyed using everyone. I'd recommend One Piece 2. The game definitely has its fair share of weighty and powerful attacks. Can't comment on Ken's Rage 2 though, never played it.

I'm in the Shin Hokuto was a severe downgrade camp. I loved the hell out of the first game, but the second felt so watered down. Movesets cut down, no jump button, no combo cancelling, inferior cutscenes, horrid stage design, etc... Yes, they did speed up the gameplay, add a bunch more characters and finish the whole story, However, the core gameplay was harmed far too much for me to enjoy it.

It's obvious that the One Piece team made Shin Hokuto, so it is shocking that the game turned out the way it did while OP2 is freaking amazing and a huge redemption of basically everything wrong with OP1.

kuroshiki

If SW4 isn't announced for localization in the next few months I don't think we will ever see a western release of it and I hope things don't come down to that.

In inspchin and that one producer we trust.

You probably have to wait until XL PS4 version complete set.

Recall

Warriors Orochi 3 is like 11gb and as I've taken the task of buying it and downloading from PSN I should expect it to be done in like 7 hours time.

Sad face.

Yawnier

Banned
I have to make room on my PS3's hard drive, only about 30GB left (thanks PS+ games).

That is possible. Who knows what direction the developers are going to go with in concern to expansion packs (Will we get SW4: Xtreme Legends? Empires?).

I just can't get into Basara, played the first 3 games each on the offchance that maybe I was wrong about the series, but I just seem to like the gameplay of the Warriors series more.

Something has to be wrong with me I guess...

I'm kinda in the same boat. I enjoy the game but I prefer Musou more than it.

Maybe if Capcom stop half-assing it I'll probably enjoy it more. (cut characters, lack of content, refusal to localize it, etc, etc).

Dunno, seems silly for Koei to sit on a game waiting for the XL edition that'll probably come out in a year or so when they could just release it now and then re-release it again.

They definitely are used to re-releasing games.

Fongul

FosNS 2 is retail for 360 in the US and is heavily discounted at Gamestop ($9.99 New, $8.99 Used) just in case anyone wants to give it a go on the cheap. I didn't want to buy the digital version upon release, so I imported the UK PS3 retail version to the US instead.

ShinMaruku

Wait their is a ps4 WO3? And to WO3's quality it's one of the few ones even the people who hate on them in reviews like. I found it the best one in years. I still play it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Does anyone have any opinions on Orochi 3 be it positive or negative?

Well...

hY4wyJI.jpg

It's one of the best musou games out there. I'm looking forward to getting the PS4 version of Ultimate if it's released in English this summer.
I agree, it really is one of the best. Hopefully if they bring the PS4 version they also bring the Vita version with it.

ShinMaruku

WO3 is one of my favorite games period.
If ya need anybody to play with on PS3/4 just add me I always have time for WO3.

Top Bottom