• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Character Customisation Video from GDC

-The shot of the hunter running through the snow in the gameplay footage pretty much confirms Europa as a playable world.
Attempt no landing there.
mdlBH4y.jpg

It seems like the game will definitely require a solid dye system that the players can utilize to really stand out. It would be nice if they had an aesthetic system that would allow players to maintain the look of a certain piece of gear even after they upgrade to a different piece though. It seems this presentation was focused more on the design process however, so even if such a system were to exist, it may not necessarily be covered during a presentation like this one.
They covered that a bit in the Q&A. It sounds like a Helmet +1 will look like a Helmet with some extra doodads on it. If you swap it out for a Skullcap +2 though, it'll look like a beefed up version of the Skullcap.

They covered that a bit in the Q&A. It sounds like a Helmet +1 will look like a Helmet with some extra doodads on it. If you swap it out for a Skullcap +2 though, it'll look like a beefed up version of the Skullcap.

Kind of. It seemed more like he was speaking in hypotheticals on that one though. But I was thinking more along the lines of if, for example, you liked the diagonally cut cloak rather than the full cloak but the full cloak you just picked up is a better stat upgrade. The ability to keep the look of the diagonal cloak while gaining the stats of the full cloak would be nice. It's a QoL feature that I think any game with stats contained on gear should have if possible.

Kind of. It seemed more like he was speaking in hypotheticals on that one though. But I was thinking more along the lines of if, for example, you liked the diagonally cut cloak rather than the full cloak but the full cloak you just picked up is a better stat upgrade. The ability to keep the look of the diagonal cloak while gaining the stats of the full cloak would be nice. It's a QoL feature that I think any game with stats contained on gear should have if possible.
/shrug Perhaps. It sounded to me like he was saying any given piece of gear had a specific look, and upgraded versions of that same gear build upon that.

And while I understand the desire to alter your appearance arbitrarily, speaking as the guy who actually has to look at you, I'd rather be able to tell at a glance what gear you're running. That's why all Warlocks look more or less the same. It's so I can tell you're a Warlock. You already know you are.

/shrug Perhaps. It sounded to me like he was saying any given piece of gear had a specific look, and upgraded versions of that same gear build upon that.

And while I understand the desire to alter your appearance arbitrarily, speaking as the guy who actually has to look at you, I'd rather be able to tell at a glance what gear you're running. That's why all Warlocks look more or less the same. It's so I can tell you're a Warlock. You already know you are.

They can easily still keep their distinctive class looks, I'm talking about the tiered physical design, like the slide he used with the cloaks denoting the change over time as the player acquires more gear. Started with something that looked like a neck bandana and progressed over time getting longer.

Either way, the way that I desire my character to look should be paramount whether it's a Coop mode or a PvP mode. All classes can use all guns if I'm not mistaken. The only difference is the overall aesthetic design and class-specific abilities.

Broman1978

Havn´t read or seen "that" much of Destiny...Am I way of if I say that Destiny is like Halo+Borderlands=Destiny?

Jarmel

Banned
Not that deep.

5 slots

Head
Torso
Arms
Legs
Class Special Slot (Cloak for Hunters, Sash for Warlocks, Armband for Titans)

Everything will fit together nice and snugly, but you won't be able to look radically different than any other goon of your class. And I believe they said that gear is also tied to stats, so boo on you if you liked that Extra Weaksauce Lvl 3. Helmet

Meh. Seems pretty limited.

Meh. Seems pretty limited.

not really if I am correct there is variations you can add to your helmet or the look of your helmet so you can have your epic helmet and then add other loot directed items that may be compatible with that helmet

not sure if im correct o nthat though

Pop

Havn´t read or seen "that" much of Destiny...Am I way of if I say that Destiny is like Halo+Borderlands=Destiny?

You might be correct, we really haven't seen much of anything from the game. I suppose Bungie is waiting until the beta drops to let us figure that out. I would lean towards more of Destiny being an MMO, since everyone is sharing the same universe. A hub city for everyone online to hang out/repair/whatever before heading out solo or with buddies.

Destiny is by far my most anticipated game.

They're using the phrase "Shared World Shooter." It seems to be pretty similar to an MMO but on a smaller scale, and thus not "Massive."

They can easily still keep their distinctive class looks, I'm talking about the tiered physical design, like the slide he used with the cloaks denoting the change over time as the player acquires more gear. Started with something that looked like a neck bandana and progressed over time getting longer.

Either way, the way that I desire my character to look should be paramount whether it's a Coop mode or a PvP mode. All classes can use all guns if I'm not mistaken. The only difference is the overall aesthetic design and class-specific abilities.
See, I would say that playability is paramount, and sacrificing playability for aesthetics is among the Top 5 Worst Decisions a game designer can make. While you may look adorable in your little neckerchief, it's actually useful to me to know you're really sporting a level 50 agility cape and aren't still running around in your noob scarf.

Tell you what. Since you can't see yourself 95% of the time anyway, how about if you pretend you look like whatever you want, while I continue to size you up by your gear? :p

See, I would say that playability is paramount, and sacrificing playability for aesthetics is among the Top 5 Worst Decisions a game designer can make. While you may look adorable in your little neckerchief, it's actually useful to me to know you're really sporting a level 50 agility cape and aren't still running around in your noob scarf.

Tell you what. Since you can't see yourself 95% of the time anyway, how about if you pretend you look like whatever you want, while I continue to size you up by your gear? :p

It's pretty obvious that when I say paramount I'm comparing a players desire to look the way they want vs a players desire to visually "size up" another player. None of that has anything at all to do with playability, so I have no idea why you even brought that up.

There's absolutely no need for players to be able to visually identify exactly what another player has equipped. It's clear though that what you desire is the ability to make an at a glance judgement about other players ability. Not only is that a terrible practice in MMO's, it would be even worse in a Shooter where stats are useless if a player can't hit a target. Regardless of whether or not you can identify gear in Destiny... you'll still need to actually play content with other people to find out their skill level.

cripterion

I love the technical talk in this video but when they mention the memory budgets, etc.. aren't they hurting/limiting themselves having to do this game on the old gen consoles too?

I hate how this feels so written. When he starts talking about the hunter's accessories and how they're functional and fashionable, I had to stop. I thought this was meant for game developers. Why does it sound like PR speak?

I hate how this feels so written. When he starts talking about the hunter's accessories and how they're functional and fashionable, I had to stop. I thought this was meant for game developers. Why does it sound like PR speak?

It was written as you can clearly see him reading everything he's saying.

Tzeentch

-- He said he gets nervous, so he had a script written out that he could read from.

-- I found the presentation pretty interesting, although their workflow seems like it was a gigantic cluster at first.

HTupolev

1-Describing particular design choices is important when detailing the pipeline used to create and go alongside them
2-The guy is excited about his work
3-The talk reaches more than just game developers (see: this discussion)

cripterion

I love the technical talk in this video but when they mention the memory budgets, etc.. aren't they hurting/limiting themselves having to do this game on the old gen consoles too?

Well, I got to the part "where go from here" and it does seem like it hurts them having to develop the game on 4 different platforms.
I know there's a large user install base on PS3/360 but I wished they scrapped the old gen versions for the sake of having better current gen versions. No need to limit yourself like that especially when you plan to support this game for years to come

I know it was written but sometimes written words sound NATURAL and sometimes they sound WRITTEN. This sounded written. It's a common phrase, I didn't come up with it.

did the "functional and fashionable" line really get to you that much? keep watching the video, he digs in about the behind the scenes and developer side of things.

It's pretty obvious that when I say paramount I'm comparing a players desire to look the way they want vs a players desire to visually "size up" another player. None of that has anything at all to do with playability, so I have no idea why you even brought that up.

There's absolutely no need for players to be able to visually identify exactly what another player has equipped. It's clear though that what you desire is the ability to make an at a glance judgement about other players ability. Not only is that a terrible practice in MMO's, it would be even worse in a Shooter where stats are useless if a player can't hit a target. Regardless of whether or not you can identify gear in Destiny... you'll still need to actually play content with other people to find out their skill level.
It most certainly is a playability issue. If I'm forming a PvE party, I need to know if a prospect is properly equipped to handle the mobs we're targeting. Yes, I could just ask you what you're using, but that'll get old fast. It'll also get old answering that question a dozen times while you're LFP. In a PvP situation, I need to know if I should confront you or flee, and I doubt you'd answer truthfully even if I took the time to ask. All of that makes the game harder to play, while providing no tangible benefit whatsoever.

No, I'm not expecting/hoping to determine a player's skill level by looking at their gear, but yes, looking at their gear tells me a lot about their general competence with the game mechanics and overall commitment to excellence. If I choose a guy with uber gear over a guy with a random collection of low- to mid-level gear, then nine times out of ten I'll end up with the better player in my party.

And where did you get the idea that gear is irrelevant? On the contrary, its effect on the game is why it's included at all. You're right in that uber gear (probably) won't help much if you can't hit the broad side of a barn, but all the skill in the world won't help you if your shots can't even penetrate the enemy's armor. Personally, I'd like to know that before you join my party, not after we totally wipe on the first pull.

Flipyap

not really if I am correct there is variations you can add to your helmet or the look of your helmet so you can have your epic helmet and then add other loot directed items that may be compatible with that helmet

not sure if im correct o nthat though
I'm pretty sure you can only dye the items a different color, he said that they'd like to look into letting people edit those bits "in the future".

I dislike the way Bungie dudes talk about the game. It's always that same line about creating a world players would want to live in, where any story could be told (as long as it involves shooting mosters in the face), followed by describing their early design process as collecting the most obvious, easy to sell power fantasies.
I really want to play this, but they make it sound so focus tested, so calculated for maximum marketability, so... Ubisoft.

It's much easier to get excited (and feel less dirty about it) when they go off-script, that's how we learned about the game's open worlds. So many articles and videos and the most important, basic piece of info about the game's structure came from a silly off-hand comment from a behind closed doors E3 demo.
The beta can't come any sooner, because right now it feels like Bungie won't be allowed to talk freely about what the game actually is even well after it's been released.

IHaveIce

Banned
To continue what i said that i want to see more real footage.

I was damn hyped for Titanfall, why? Vecause almost everything they showed was gameplay and sick kills..

Especially with shooters it is so easy, really if they would give me a full pvp multiplayer match and some mission glimpses as footage I would maybe get rxcited but all these talks or just trailers are doing nothing.

Doesn't help that the graphics also aren't that breathtaking.

As a huge Halo fan, Bungie is letting me down with their info distrubution

broony

I dislike the way Bungie dudes talk about the game. It's always that same line about creating a world players would want to live in, where any story could be told (as long as it involves shooting mosters in the face), followed by describing their early design process as collecting the most obvious, easy to sell power fantasies.
I really want to play this, but they make it sound so focus tested, so calculated for maximum marketability, so... Ubisoft.

It's much easier to get excited (and feel less dirty about it) when they go off-script, that's how we learned about the game's open worlds. So many articles and videos and the most important, basic piece of info about the game's structure came from a silly off-hand comment from a behind closed doors E3 demo.
The beta can't come any sooner, because right now it feels like Bungie won't be allowed to talk freely about what the game actually is even well after it's been released.

I think with it being a Bungie game that there will be plenty of room for sandbox fun. I know what you mean about how it's focused to appeal, but then I remember how much crazy crap I got up to in Bungie sandboxes in the past. I think the scale and diversity of it gives plenty enough to keep the game feeling fresh and fun.

I think a few anecdotes in the weekly update explaining fun and surprising stuff that has happened in games would help. I can remember a tale still from Halo three where they were talking about getting a warthog jammed behind a pipe by accident and then trying to free it using a frag grenade. That sort of story is what I am looking forward to with this game and until the beta I'm not sure we will hear about them.

KeRaSh

It most certainly is a playability issue. If I'm forming a PvE party, I need to know if a prospect is properly equipped to handle the mobs we're targeting. Yes, I could just ask you what you're using, but that'll get old fast. It'll also get old answering that question a dozen times while you're LFP. In a PvP situation, I need to know if I should confront you or flee, and I doubt you'd answer truthfully even if I took the time to ask. All of that makes the game harder to play, while providing no tangible benefit whatsoever.

No, I'm not expecting/hoping to determine a player's skill level by looking at their gear, but yes, looking at their gear tells me a lot about their general competence with the game mechanics and overall commitment to excellence. If I choose a guy with uber gear over a guy with a random collection of low- to mid-level gear, then nine times out of ten I'll end up with the better player in my party.

And where did you get the idea that gear is irrelevant? On the contrary, its effect on the game is why it's included at all. You're right in that uber gear (probably) won't help much if you can't hit the broad side of a barn, but all the skill in the world won't help you if your shots can't even penetrate the enemy's armor. Personally, I'd like to know that before you join my party, not after we totally wipe on the first pull.

I never thought equipment elitism would be a concern in Destiny...
Vanity slots are nothing new in games. If you are so picky with you teammates then chances are you will probably end up with a fairly static group of people who fit your criteria anyways.

monome

To continue what i said that i want to see more real footage.

I was damn hyped for Titanfall, why? Vecause almost everything they showed was gameplay and sick kills..

Especially with shooters it is so easy, really if they would give me a full pvp multiplayer match and some mission glimpses as footage I would maybe get rxcited but all these talks or just trailers are doing nothing.

Doesn't help that the graphics also aren't that breathtaking.

As a huge Halo fan, Bungie is letting me down with their info distrubution

Destiny is the new WiiU.
A familiar and expected experience that lends itself better to being played rather than looked at.
It's meant to be encompassing while managing a drift towards uncharted gaming territories. It's very self-aware and thus not shy of showing its limits. It would rather be judged by people who have experienced it rather than be flamed/adored by me-too fanboys who keep juming in&out from hype trains always to be disappointed by their unchecked expectations as to what gaming is.

Fortunately for Bungie, it's coming to PS4 and it's an FPS.

I've lost interest in most game reveals. I rather like leaks these days. Destiny is the game that I will budget some night gaming hours for. because of it's encompassing nature. I'm fully aware youtube clips can't sell on the feel of losing yourself with friends on semi-alien worlds just because we like shooting and cosplaying. But I like shooting and cosplaying. So all is well.

monome

God I hope for Bungie that Destiny isn't like the WiiU lol

so far, it is.
Anticipation was sky high. Reception was luke warm.
Both WiiU and Destiny are experiences, IMO.

Expect they are a Western studio, making a FPS and selling it on the selling like hotcakes PS4.

broony

so far, it is.
Anticipation was sky high. Reception was luke warm.
Both WiiU and Destiny are experiences, IMO.

Expect they are a Western studio, making a FPS and selling it on the selling like hotcakes PS4.

I wouldn't say the reception is lukewarm. I would say though it seems obvious in the marketing that the delay has interrupted what they originally had planned and the adjustment is leaving a bit if a gap. I will expect that as soon as they have a public date for the beta is will roll along nicely from there. They definitely need some gameplay or the actual beta in gamers hands sooner rather than later.

monome

I wouldn't say the reception is lukewarm. I would say though it seems obvious in the marketing that the delay has interrupted what they originally had planned and the adjustment is leaving a bit if a gap. I will expect that as soon as they have a public date for the beta is will roll along nicely from there. They definitely need some gameplay or the actual beta in gamers hands sooner rather than later.

of course.

But Destiny seems to have stories within stories built around a 10 years span story.
So good-luck with the bombastic story trailer.

Destiny is a paradigm shift built around the tried and true 60$ + DLC experience.
So far they haven't found the right marketing approach.
Semi-MMO FPS, years spanning story etc...haven't had the impact of COD with mechs, which is a very easy to digest marketing line.

They are dancing around the "this is better than Halo because it has better everything" whereas it's pretty much what they should say. "better than" is not a great marketing catch phrase.

but the truth is...they are trying to make the better Halo. better graphics. better social. better plateform support. better story. better implementation of a growing IP (expensions in addition to map packs & sequels). better customization. better online. better SP (lower key tone, bigger conceptual ideas behind it). better MP.

Liljagare

I was so glad when they were making this, must be splitscreen coop right?

Sadly, no news about that, apart from a question from Bungie on facebook if we'd want it.

This game would be awesome with local coop splitscreen, now it just feels "Will try it I guess"..

Here's to hoping for a Borderlands 3?

I never thought equipment elitism would be a concern in Destiny...
Vanity slots are nothing new in games. If you are so picky with you teammates then chances are you will probably end up with a fairly static group of people who fit your criteria anyways.
It's not about elitism. It's about not half-assing it when you have other people depending on you. Granted, my Taru, Lulu, always had every slot filled with the best-available gear for whatever task she was performing — even if it was just fishing — but she was filthy rich and I leveled quite slowly.
I paid cash for my airship pass when I was level 9. ^^
But it would be ridiculous for me to hold everyone to the same standard. That said, I expect my party to have decent, level-appropriate gear. I understand that not everyone can afford a full set of HQ2 for every job they try their hand at, but a DRK with a level 12 dagger left over from when he tried THF because "drk nt my main" has no business in a level 50 party, no matter how talented they are as a player. If they were really all that and a bag of chips, they'd realize the importance of not gimping your party anyway.

Now, if you're just gonna solo, then you have my permission to do whatever the fuck you please. :)

Akai__

I have watched every video of Destiny, and I'm still failing to get excited for it.

Really will depend on the beta.

Yep same for me. Did Bungie rely to much on their big name as the "halo creators" ?

I think they should show off some more stuff and make better pr or vidocs...

I'm not that much excited either, because they revealed the game too soon, in my opinion. They spent the last coupple months showing us the same thing over and over again, which is pretty boring.

However, I hope they succeed with their game, because I kinda like the direction they are going.

Alienous

Perhaps I missed the point, but seeing that while watching the talk I wasn't impressed.

So, essentially the 'bits and bobs' are handmade randomly generated content? The helmets and stuff aren't actually designed by an algorithm, but by and artist using pre-fab parts? It seems like a weird compromise between making each helmet/arm item/leg item etc. and having them entirely randomly generated on the spot (random visor + random side part + random chin part...).

It's not that impressive, IMO. It seems like you could give those tools to fans for a week, implement a rating system, and achieve probably even better results. Creating a tool for random generation, then having an artist work with that tool, seems quite limiting.

Top Bottom