• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

Damn, that Gerudo remix.....
gif_clint_yes350.gif

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'd like some more sophisticated online modes I guess but really all I want is online that WORKS. I'll be fine with For Fun and For Glory if I can actually fucking play them.

Also: with that whole exclusive Kirby's Air Ride mode on 3DS, I bet the Wii U version will end up having some exclusive modes and stuff too that just haven't been discussed, which may or may not end up online.

how ass are those online modes though

For Glory looked fine to me up until Riposte pointed out that it's played as a Time match. What the fuck. FD-only is also a knee jerk. I'd sure as hell take that over every stage being included, but there's some great interactions with platforms on neutral stages that players will miss out on. No 2v2 either, for shame.

It would take minimal effort to figure out what the competitive community actually wants. There's countless, countless higher-ups in the community that would jump out of their skin to work with Nintendo on this. I mean, Smash is a popular as fuck competitive game. Maybe Nintendo should try just a little bit to have a dialog with the community and really do the scene justice in the final game.

Codeblue

Who wants to be in charge of the twitter campaign to tell sakurai to add more features to FOR GLORY?

We need STOCK MODE and at LEAST BATTLEFIELD added in. Final destination is ok as long as sometimes platforms appear in preset patterns (battlefield style, animal crossing style, etc).

Time mode makes it so fast characters can land ONE hit and then just run away.
Final destination only makes it so a ton of characters aren't even viable.

What do we call it, how do we get them to notice? They're always so close to doing it right, but fall just too short.

Even if they can't get it in by launch, they can at least work on it and patch it in later :(

Also, where are those other pictures coming from!? press kit?

I'm hoping it supports Mario Kart type communities just so we can have GAF custom rooms constantly going.

It's a step up from that, it's just not anywhere near the level of typical modern online. I think people forget just how limited online was in Nintendo games that long ago.

It's really a small step up. They are going the Mario Kart Wii route with this ( The Smash points ala GP points from MK ). No ranking system which is really unacceptable by todays standards. No lobbies :|

Soulstar

In a bid to post more and lurk less I'm going to post my Takeaways from the Nintendo Direct.

- That Zero Suit Samus fake out made my heart skip a beat. I'm Glad to see my Brawl and Project M main return.

- Speaking of Zero Suit Samus she looks great. I personally love the new look and her new move(s) look good. The mix of lighter and darker blues is a nice touch.

- The fact that they are decoupling characters was surprising to me and makes me wonder if we will see more extensive changes to Ganondorf when he appears.

- Little Mac still looks like way to much fun.

- Rosalina too.

- Kirby and Pit's new Final smashes look way too cool.

- I love that all of the stages have a FD version though I think it is a bit misguided that For Glory mode is only FD.

- The stages in this game loos amazing.

- This direct had some pretty great music choices.

- Sonic's new stage is a definite improvement from his brawl stage.

- Little Mac's power meter works slightly different then I thought it would. I expected it to actually go down when he is hit but it is more like a standard fighting game power meter.

- Smash Run looks really fun.

I have a lot more thoughts but I could probably go on forever with all the stuff they showed us in this 40 minute long video.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Be interesting to see how the next few months will pan-out, since the 3DS and WiiU versions will have the same roster, I expect reveals to come more quickly now. Summer could mean up to September though, so probably still several months before release.

However, we're at 29 characters right, I think 45-50 characters is what we'll end up with. My call from a while ago is still at 48 characters.

It's a step up from that, it's just not anywhere near the level of typical modern online. I think people forget just how limited online was in Nintendo games that long ago.

It's not even close to 2004 online. Every game like this (with numerous gametypes/settings) should copy Halo 2's functionality wholesale as a base. You get various matchmaking hoppers that cater to multiple preferences, private games with 100% customization, and a party system to play with friends. Halo 2's party system billed itself as a virtual couch. Shouldn't Nintendo's hard-on for couch gaming motivate them to replicate the same experience online? This shit is so basic.

ec0ec0

I'd imagine that the "with anyone" would be the least important mode when talking about the future of the game, considering any matches that will actually be of any interest to the competitive community will be done on the "with friends" bit.

sorry with "the future of the game" i was talking about online in general, for casual play. I mean, even if i am interested in the competitive part more, its obviouly important for the game to have a big online community. Its not that important for me, but it is "for the game" if that makes sense... anyway, i hope that the online is not restrictive.

Drago

Yeah, but which one works in Smash?

003.png
154.png
254.png
389.png
497.png
652.png

It will never happen but I want Sceptile in so bad if we're getting final form starters in the game. He's probably my favorite final form of any starter Pokemon. He'd fit in best with the other two as well.

But yeah, it's never happening. If we ever did get a gen 3 starter it'd probably be Blaziken anyways :(

Who wants to be in charge of the twitter campaign to tell sakurai to add more features to FOR GLORY?

We need STOCK MODE and at LEAST BATTLEFIELD added in. Final destination is ok as long as sometimes platforms appear in preset patterns (battlefield style, animal crossing style, etc).

Time mode makes it so fast characters can land ONE hit and then just run away.
Final destination only makes it so a ton of characters aren't even viable.

What do we call it, how do we get them to notice? They're always so close to doing it right, but fall just too short.

Even if they can't get it in by launch, they can at least work on it and patch it in later :(

Also, where are those other pictures coming from!? press kit?
Someone should make a new thread about this. I know sakurais twitter is @Sora_Sakurai

Riposte

I'm hoping it supports Mario Kart type communities just so we can have GAF custom rooms constantly going.

That would be a very good alternative.

EDIT: I get the feeling Sakurai dislikes the idea of having players wait until a match is over after they've run out of stocks. Time matches is a way to avoid that.

EDIT: It would be absurdly easy for them to change all those Final Destination variants into variants Battlefield (or even stuff like Brawl's AC stage).

MAtgS

So about that E3 "leak" stating Pac-Man & Mii would be playable.

C9ZdyS8.png

1. Miis appear as a background character. Very probable that it would be the player's personal mii by default.

Granted, there's the Toon Link argument that a character can be both playable & background. I'd argue that Toon Link is a special case due to being playable in the past & not having him in the train stage would seem not right. But instead I'll point out...

2. The stage icon. If Miis were playable, would they really have a crown for their series icon? Seems strange to fixate solely on Find Mii out of every game they've been in. & if they were playable there certainly wouldn't be any reason this stage would have a different icon from them.

It's not really conclusive evidence but it has me skeptical.

georly

This would be great. But don't put me in charge.

#EvoRules4Glory

Hashtag needs to be something that non-evo, non-scene smash players would stand by. Even I know how time/final destination is open to exploitation by a select few characters, and i dont play competitively at all.

kirby_fox

Banned
Awesome idea about secret characters: once the Wii U version launches, the 3DS version gets updated for interactive purposes between the two.

The update secretly includes new characters and stages that unlock as you play through it. Everyone who thought they knew the final roster is surprised.

I'm getting my hopes up in case my other Brawl main doesn't come back. RIP Pokemon Trainer.

-Horizon-

Guys, I need a gif of Midna

It was one of my fave parts to know she was in the game rather than just a decorative trophy like in Brawl

C9ZdyS8.png

1. Miis appear as a background character. Very probable that it would be the player's personal mii by default.

Granted, there's the Toon Link argument that a character can be both playable & background. I'd argue that Toon Link is a special case due to being playable in the past & not having him in the train stage would seem not right. But instead I'll point out...

2. The stage icon. If Miis were playable, would they really have a crown for their series icon? Seems strange to fixate solely on Find Mii out of every game they've been in. & if they were playable there certainly wouldn't be any reason this stage would have a different icon from them.

Yea, when I saw the crown, I grew suspicious also. I imagined the Mii icon would be the words "Mii" in the Wii font, but stranger icons have existed (like ROB's is a mix of the susbspace logo and a gyro top)

georly

Someone should make a new thread about this. I know sakurais twitter is @Sora_Sakurai

I don't have the time or knowhow to make a twitter campaign. Someone famous needs to start it, and get people to do it. Sakurai needs to at least see it, and before it's too late. It'll likely affect the 3DS version, but hopefully the Wii U version will have more options. Then they can retroactively patch the 3DS version as well.

Lunar15

I can all but guarantee that the Melee song remix during that final medley is composed by the ALBW composer, Ryo Nagamatsu.

It's very similar to his compositions.

EmpReb

Banned
I still want to know if there is a Adventure Mode like The Subspace Emissary. I found that a surprisingly fun and interesting mixed universe that you could believe. It gave the game nice feeling that smash bros was real or another place.

C9ZdyS8.png

I feel the need to point out that in the first screenshot we got of this stage the cage was completely empty

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Didn't realize over 3 hours have passed since the direct while I was basking in the glory of it all.

Kinsei

Banned
I still want to know if there is a Adventure Mode like The Subspace Emissary. I found that a surprisingly fun and interesting mixed universe that you could believe. It gave the game nice feeling that smash bros was real or another place.

No story mode, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an adventure mode like Melee.

R0ckman

It seems some people are basically lying to themselves to prevent this game from being shit in their minds. Still think Ridley has a chance for some reason. (I personally like what we have so far, no need to go into full delusion mode)

My wife is a mostly casual gamer and thinks there are too many Pokemon. Don't know WHAT they were thinking there honestly. Seems like no one would have missed Zard, but then again dat higher up medlin'

I fear we won't be getting a retro...

BlackJace

Woah, Smashboards has a lovely layout.

It seems some people are basically lying to themselves to prevent this game from being shit in their minds. Still think Ridley has a chance for some reason. (I personally like what we have so far, no need to go into full delusion mode)
People are lying to themselves by thinking that the game isn't shit based on what's been shown?

My wife is a mostly casual gamer and thinks there are too many Pokemon. Don't know WHAT they were thinking there honestly. Seems like know one would have missed Zard, but then again dat higher up medlin'

I fear we won't be getting a retro...

Hahahaha... What? How does it look anywhere close to shit?

Top Bottom