• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/7 - 4/13

Are we open to the possibility that (In Japan at least) everybody who wanted Mario Kart already had a Wii? The fact that the Wii hardware sales barely budged seems to scream this.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Are we open to the possibility that (In Japan at least) everybody who wanted Mario Kart already had a Wii? The fact that the Wii hardware sales barely budged seems to scream this.

At least it proves that the existing audience is caring about new games. Many said that Wii's owners just bought a Wii, with Wii Sports and Wii Play and after a while, they just forgot about any new games on the system These Mario Kart numbers say that these people were wrong.

Minsc

Gold Member
DeaconKnowledge said:

I doubt you could argue otherwise. If you assume 0 people would have bought a Wii this week, that means only about 50K out of the 600K sales of the game were new users. Which is still not even 10% of MKWii's total sales for the week.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DeaconKnowledge said:

Absolutely. Wouldn't shock me if something like Tos:KoR actually caused a bigger bump.

Neo C.

Airkiru said:
Completely agree. Not sure why many expect a slim PS3 to make a huge difference at this stage. The only thing that will increase sales is larger library of games and a few price drops at the least.
While I agree that a slim PS3 won't change the situation in Japan significantly, a slim PS3 made with less production costs can be more competitive, at least it could level up the worldwide sales.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
slaughterking said:
I think sinobi is updated with first day sales. I can't filter them out though. D:

The only really notable one there is:
We Are Fossil Holders - 16,000

Which is about standard for a Nintendo B-title (~25-30k opening week, 90-110k lifetime)

Next week is Taiko Drum Master DS 2, Valkyria and Summon Night DS 2

Defuser said:
Worst part is after Valkyria Chonicles,there's almost no ps3 games coming out for next month.
Well then that's a good opportunity for VC's sales to shine I guess. 100k retailer orders were the word I think?

gofreak said:
How many games has SCEJ brought out on PS3 thusfar?

They seem to be totally asleep at the wheel. They need to get more games out themselves, and they need to cut deals with third parties to get more third party games out.

Obviously there are upcoming games that will see bumps..but Sony's problem is consistency. There is not a consistent stream of bump-producing software, such that bumps become the norm.

Surely they're not going to wait for something like Final Fantasy before trying to stimulate the market there?

Maybe since Kaz took over there's been a switch to a focus on western markets? I'm beginning to wonder if SCEJ has lost a bit of focus in the transition to PS3, the transition from Kutaragi etc. That's a lot of change happening at once.
That's something that was apparent from the get-go. There wasn't a big focus on japanese-centric games. Then again PS2 wasn't really driven by first party software, to expect Nintendo-like output is certainly asking too much. I think Sony really thought they could win over fans on brand name in the beginning and wait for the heavy hitters like HSG etc. to attract the majority of fans.

Software line-up wise PS3 already saw a lot of big franchise titles.

If you look at big SCE titles on PS2: GT (already saw a P, but of course the real game is still coming), HSG (PS3 title already released), HST (not yet released or being planned), Rogue Galaxy (WKC is coming), Ratchet (first one at least, although I think that was also bundled, PS3 title already released), BNNY (PS3 title already released), they released Genji as well (though that wasn't particularily big on PS2)

Then you have new IPs like Folk Souls and The Eye of Judgement.

While they sure don't focus on Japan, their output thus far has seen a lot of their big franchises already continued on PS3 (GT being somewhere in between of course).

On the third party side, with a humongous price , low userbase and inflated development costs obviously not a lot of devs/pubs want to try their luck with small projects. There will be no steady stream of titles and since we're running out of big franchises to continue on PS3 there will surely be no steady stream of software that can bump the hardware like Musou games etc.

Sony tried to stimulate the market a couple of times with lots of bundles, new colours, (internal) redesign/cheaper model, re-introduction of (now next-gen :D ) rumble. It's not that they are not trying, it's just that they can't overcome PS3's problems (inflated price, size and dev costs). They designed PS3 to be a sophisticated high-end machine and now have to deal with the problems that choice brought with it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
JohnsonUT said:
PantherLotus - I love your charts.

thanks man. anything that anybody would like to see (and can provide numbers for), i'd love to do if i think it would be interesting to present.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Segata Sanshiro said:
The PSP was never doing this badly. I mean, a redesign would certainly increase numbers, but what Sony has to ask themselves is if the juice of that redesign is worth the squeeze.
PSP/PS2/PSOne redesigns were all noticeably cheaper to manufacture then fatties.
In fact the same can be said for Nintendo redesigns as well. Increased sales or not, they are getting extra juice from them by default.

If nothing else, redesign would bring more price-drops, which couldn't possibly be bad for sales. It's difficult to judge effects of console redesigns though since PSTwo/PSOne were late to the market (after 80/70M mark for respective consoles).

Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...

PS3 comparisons: After 74 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 17.1 weeks (June 25, 2000), where PSP was at 48.6 weeks (November 9, 2005), where GCN was at 68.8 weeks (January 3, 2003), and where Wii was at 18.6 weeks (April 5, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 71 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 72.2 weeks (August 5, 2002), where DS was at 60.2 weeks (January 23, 2006), where PS2 was at 93.3 weeks (December 10, 2001), and where PSP was at 139.1 weeks (August 5, 2007).

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 35.5 / 64.5, bringing the total shares to 71.5 / 28.5. At this week's rates, PSP catches up to DS in 347.7 weeks (December 12, 2014). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 156.4 weeks (April 13, 2011).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 15.1 / 84.9, Wii's biggest share since Dragon Quest Swords. THis brings the total shares to 25.8 / 74.2. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 456.1 weeks (January 9, 2017).

Sage00 said:
What was PS2 doing at this point in it's life, around 25-35k?
"This point in its life" will always be a bit of a tricky comparison since it places different systems at different months. However, here are some decently comparable periods. (Using Famitsu since we don't have MC for 2002 and back.)

April 2001: ~42K weekly
July 2001: ~107K weekly, includes FFX bump
April 2002: ~70K weekly

legend166 said:
I think at this stage the Wii is passed the point where it will recieve big boosts outside of holidays.
It takes a bit more than 5 million to reach that. Apprently it will take software that isn't preaching to the converted, though.

cvxfreak

The ¥2000 NEW Best Price versions of Phoenix Wright 1 and 2 sold 1500 and 900 copies respectively.

Of course, as low as that looks, they're going to have long legs. I expect 3 and 4 (which is skipping the ¥3000 price point and going straight to ¥2000) to do better, though.

nli10

cvxfreak said:
The ¥2000 NEW Best Price versions of Phoenix Wright 1 and 2 sold 1500 and 900 copies respectively.

Of course, as low as that looks, they're going to have long legs. I expect 3 and 4 (which is skipping the ¥3000 price point and going straight to ¥2000) to do better, though.

All of Phoenix Wright for £40 is a steal. Hope we get a similar bargain range of these titles in the UK. Even £15 or £20 would be perfect.

And in case no-one has pointed it out yet, MK did cause a HW bump for the Wii by making it the only system that didn't reduce its sales this week. Like in the UK while the market in general is slowing post Easter, the Wii has remained stable.

Code:
Format	This	Last	Change	YTD	LTD
PSP 	85721	120964	70.86%	1315501	8980578
NDS	47158	55190	85.45%	1152496	22325546
WII	46296	44618	[B]103.76%[/B]	1146357	5762516
ps3	8232	11303	72.83%	336125	2007796
ps2	6834	10423	65.57%	184353	21111393
X360	1147	1452	78.99%	49645	556985

I'd say not following the market down 30% is a bump to me :D

nli10 said:
And in case no-one has pointed it out yet, MK did cause a HW bump for the Wii by making it the only system that didn't reduce its sales this week. Like in the UK while the market in general is slowing post Easter, the Wii has remained stable.

no, not again !!!!!!!!!11

DataBot

manueldelalas said:
The sad thing is that this will definitely get to FFXIII...

FFXIII goes Multi Console or cancelled...
With this numbers unavoidable for PS3 unless they payed SQ alot...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
DataBot said:
FFXIII goes Multi Console or cancelled...
With this numbers unavoidable for PS3 unless they payed SQ alot...

FFXIII will likely stay exclusive.

The difference is that SE will delay the game even more until the console sells a certain amount, which is the COMPLETE opposite of what Sony really needs at the moment.

If FF13 was released and was aggressively advertised, it would the the one game that would push many consoles. Unfortunately it is also the only game that is being pushed back because of the lack of consoles in Japanese homes.

DataBot

Hcoregamer00 said:
FFXIII will likely stay exclusive.

The difference is that SE will delay the game even more until the console sells a certain amount, which is the COMPLETE opposite of what Sony really needs at the moment.

If FF13 was released and was aggressively advertised, it would the the one game that would push many consoles. Unfortunately it is also the only game that is being pushed back because of the lack of consoles in Japanese homes.

On hold, pushed back = Cancelled?

So its already cancelled :lol

ksamedi

FF13 will come out in 2009 with a new PS3 light model and a lower price, new colors and will sell millions of copies (and thousands of PS3s).

linsivvi

Segata Sanshiro said:
Exactly. Put your head between your knees and try to stay profitable while keeping your fans happy. Better luck next time.

I actually wouldn't mind that. Most Japanese devs are so behind in HD gaming at this moment. I'd rather Sony concentrate more on Western games for this generation.

Xeke

Banned
Once again.

Nintendo has yet to drop the price of the DS in Japan.

More colors + price drop = mad sales

that's crazy low for ps3, it's only 2k above ps2 that's weak for this point in the game.

final fantasy 13 can't come soon enough for sony

Sage00

Once And Future Member
linsivvi said:
I actually wouldn't mind that. Most Japanese devs are so behind in HD gaming at this moment. I'd rather Sony concentrate more on Western games for this generation.
The entire reason they're so behind in HD gaming is because there isn't an HD console thats worth a damn in Japan.

cvxfreak

Finally found my Famitsu with the interesting Monster Hunter data:

Title - Opening Week - LTD incl. budget re-releases

Monster Hunter - 120,640 - 288,559
Monster Hunter G - 128,051 - 237,393 (PlayStation 2 The Best incl.)
Monster Hunter Portable - 118,317 - 1,088,038 (PSP The Best incl.)
Monster Hunter 2 (Dos) - 368,057 - 652,598 (PlayStation 2 The Best incl.)
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd - 746,313 - 1,688,980
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G - 823,265 - 1,375,966

As of 4/6:

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
DeaconKnowledge said:

actually, i believe that Wii stayed where it was because of MK Wii, and didn't suffer as huge a drop it should have. We'll see a drop next week if sales stay low across all the other consoles

Lobster

Banned
schuelma said:
Absolutely. Wouldn't shock me if something like Tos:KoR actually caused a bigger bump.

Isn't KoR releasing on golden week?

I don't think the games the one thats going to be causing the bump.

Rock_Man

cvxfreak said:

As of 4/6:

Thanks!

Do you have the breakdowns between the original and best releases?

Taurus

JohnsonUT said:
PantherLotus - I love you and your charts.
fixed for truth. :) <3

Xeke said:
Once again.

Nintendo has yet to drop the price of the DS in Japan.

More colors + price drop = mad sales
I'm actually more interested to see what the first price cut for Wii does WW. It's going to be mayhem.

Lobster said:
Isn't KoR releasing on golden week?

I don't think the games the one thats going to be causing the bump.
Yeah.

KoR will simply surf the Golden Week wave of boosted HW numbers to Valhalla (or ~500k LTD).

apujanata

Taurus said:
I'm actually more interested to see what the first price cut for Wii does WW. It's going to be mayhem.

I don't think Nintendo will do a price cut for Wii before Wii is readily available in all region (Japan, US & Europe). Therefore, the first price cut would probably happen on 2009 at the earliest.

IF X360 Arcade price goes below Wii (in US), and Wii still managed to trounced X360 sales # 2:1, then we know for sure that price is not a factor (at least eh current US 250 price is not a factor).

I won't be surprised if it takes them 2 years(from now) before we see any forms of price cut from Nintendo for the Wii.

They are stubborn as it is with the DS, just imagine how they will manage the much more successful Wii(in the western world anyway).

Innotech

Banned
apujanata said:
I don't think Nintendo will do a price cut for Wii before Wii is readily available in all region (Japan, US & Europe). Therefore, the first price cut would probably happen on 2009 at the earliest.

IF X360 Arcade price goes below Wii (in US), and Wii still managed to trounced X360 sales # 2:1, then we know for sure that price is not a factor (at least eh current US 250 price is not a factor).
I dont think price is much of a factor since masny people are still paying markup prices and buying bundles. If they are still willing to pay that kind of money 2 years into the systems life, I think its definitely something else selling so many systems.

donny2112

cvxfreak said:

As of 4/6:

What I have of the first four separated:

Monster Hunter G - 128,051 - 232,239
Monster Hunter G (BEST) - nothing; I guess the BEST version sold 5,154?
Monster Hunter Portable - 118,317 - 668,964
Monster Hunter Portable (BEST) - 12,314 - 290,904
Monster Hunter Portable (BEST Reprint) - nothing in Famitsu; I guess it sold 128,170 through April 6?
Monster Hunter 2 (Dos) - 368,057 - 570,651
Monster Hunter 2 (Dos) (BEST) - ~5,000 - 22,822 (I guess it sold 81,947 through April 6?)

Thanks for posting that, cvxfreak. :)

Lobster

Banned
Innotech said:
I dont think price is much of a factor since masny people are still paying markup prices and buying bundles. If they are still willing to pay that kind of money 2 years into the systems life, I think its definitely something else selling so many systems.

Besides,

If price was a factor, GC would've won.

PantherLotus said:
thanks man. anything that anybody would like to see (and can provide numbers for), i'd love to do if i think it would be interesting to present.
How about a Wii vs NDS vs PSP YTD chart?
Would it be possible to do a top-10 YTD software chart?
And thanks for all your excellent charts, they're awsome.

Copycat_Wannabe said:
Thx Donny

It sure is a close race, who do you guys think will end in the top for this year?
They've been so even it's hard to say. I haven't taken a big look at the big titles for the rest of the year (that we know of), but from what others have said it doesn't seem PSP has many other "bumpworthy" titles coming up. Of course, if it can just ride the current one for a while before going back to selling evenly with DS/Wii, it could stay ahead for quite some time.

Parl

My guess is that it's pretty much up to Nintendo if DS sells more than PSP this year.

Price drop? New model with additional features? New colours? New market expanding software? More promotion of DS's staple Touch Generation titles?

There's also DQ9. DS is less prone to bumps than most other systems, even with MASSIVE titles like this, but I expect a bit of a bump, at least.

There's stuff Sony can do too, but despite Nintendo's massive overall lead, Nintendo still seems to have more cards to play than Sony, or at least out of those that we know of.

nli10

apujanata said:

I don't believe that the DS Lite or the Wii will EVER have a true price cut.

Bundles and colours and other value added promotions do not undermine the percieved value of the item by the causal crowd. Price slashing does.

One of the reasons that it's very popular to wait before entering the 'next gen' is always that the consumers know that prices will come down. At the start of this gen Nintnedo publicly stated that the buisness model to them felt broken and that they would choose a good price and stick to it.

Seems that so far they are as good as their word. Mom & pop know how much it costs for a Nintendo and this makes the process less risky.

I'd bank on Wii Play & 2nd controller being in the box for £180 at some point too though. Just not for a long long time.

Top Bottom