• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepblue

Banned
BeeDog said:
Do you have a gizmo that automatically teleports you to a topic where Halo is mentioned? And have you also played the game yet?
174jyh.gif

FabCam

Dever said:
Is this confirmed to be true? TTP already said he didn't recall a cutscene that was nearly 90 minutes long, let alone two of them.

I don't think it means 90mins solid cutscene. In MGS2 there were places where there was 1 hour codec and cutscene with just 2 mins of gameplay. Could be the same here.

Gribbix

Tour Info:

European Tour (featuring Hideo Kojima, Kenichiro Imaizumi, Yoji Shinkawa, Yumi Kikuchi):
London, England - June 2
Milan, Italy - June 3
Madrid, Spain - June 4 (Closed Event)
Hamburg, Germany - June 6
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - June 7
Paris, France - June 9

North American Tour:
Los Angeles, CA (Midnight Sale at Best Buy in West Hollywood) - June 11 (featuring Ryan Payton, David Hayter, Kenichiro Imaizumi)
New York, NY - June 11 (featuring Hideo Kojima, Yumi Kikuchi)
New York, NY (at Uniqlo) - June 12 (featuring Hideo Kojima)
San Francisco, CA (at the Metreon) - June 14 (featuring Hideo Kojima, Ryan Payton, Kenichiro Imaizumi, Yumi Kikuchi)

Japan:
Tokyo, Japan - June 11 (featuring Yoji Shinkawa, Producer Matsana?)

Additional details will be posted on the official website soon.

Joe211 said:
damn reviewers are pathetic all those 10 for Halo and GTA talk about money hats
Or maybe it's just their opinions. Halo 3 wasn't close to being the highest reviewed game last year, so what's the point of throwing that one in. And MGS is a harder series to get into when compared to GTA, so maybe that's why GTA was scored hinger.

dmshaposv

Pity its getting the same scores as MGS3.

I guess the hype for this game also came from the gameplay footage that promised a more accessible game for a casual audience.

I trust Edge, I'd also give MGS3 a 8-8.5 personally. All discreditng them are now just being fanboys - they do hit the spot right on.

Looks like kojipro might've messed up in trying to put soo much stuff in the game (shoulder cam, FPS view, traditonal top-down) something was bound to go wrong. Also as Eurogamer mentioned the loading time/installation time could be a real issue.

All in all, I know this game will satisfy me in regardless of a clunkfest it may be. But I honestly thought they'd iron out some of the problems.

I'm guessing if GregK was still around Gamespot it would've gotten something between 8.5-9.0

FabCam

dmshaposv said:
Looks like kojipro might've messed up in trying to put soo much stuff in the game (shoulder cam, FPS view, traditonal top-down) something was bound to go wrong. Also as Eurogamer mentioned the loading time/installation time could be a real issue.

No, that's something that has been commended in all the reviews. The different control schemes work well.

Lakitu

st5fu
dmshaposv said:
Pity its getting the same scores as MGS3.

I guess the hype for this game also came from the gameplay footage that promised a more accessible game for a casual audience.

I trust Edge, I'd also give MGS3 a 8-8.5 personally. All discreditng them are now just being fanboys - they do hit the spot right on.

All in all, I know this game will satisfy me in regardless of a clunkfest it may be. But I honestly thought they'd iron out some of the problems.

I'm guessing if GregK was still around Gamespot it would've gotten something between 8.5-9.0

Thanks for your long indepth review seeing as you have already played it. What score would you give it?

BeeDog

antiloop said:
Not long now until we will get to form our own opinions.

Or be like the cool kids on the block: form an opinion based on the reviews, before you've even seen the game in real life!

BeeDog said:
Or be like the cool kids on the block: form an opinion based on the reviews, before you've even seen the game in real life!

This basically seems to being reviewed like MGS3 was. Fans of the series love it to death, others like it and then some hate it. Although it looks like this one will be able to swing some people since the gameplay is apparently really high quality.

At the end of the day though it's Metal Gear. And if you've ever played one before you probably already know what your stance will be on it after playing it.

BigBoss

dr3upmushroom said:
Or maybe it's just their opinions. Halo 3 wasn't close to being the highest reviewed game last year, so what's the point of throwing that one in. And MGS is a harder series to get into when compared to GTA, so maybe that's why GTA was scored hinger.

Because Halo 3 got a 10 and was awarded the most innovative game of the year award.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Even though I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in this new Metal Gear Solid game, I have to post to give kudos to the biggest, most detailed and far and away the most impressive Official Thread first (39) posts in the history of mankind, ever. Well done! You have put a lot of work in it.

It almost had me hyped at one point, such is its amazing power. :O

Gribbix said:
Tour Info:

European Tour (featuring Hideo Kojima, Kenichiro Imaizumi, Yoji Shinkawa, Yumi Kikuchi):
London, England - June 2
Milan, Italy - June 3
Madrid, Spain - June 4 (Closed Event)
Hamburg, Germany - June 6
Amsterdam, The Netherlands - June 7
Paris, France - June 9

North American Tour:
Los Angeles, CA (Midnight Sale at Best Buy in West Hollywood) - June 11 (featuring Ryan Payton, David Hayter, Kenichiro Imaizumi)
New York, NY - June 11 (featuring Hideo Kojima, Yumi Kikuchi)
New York, NY (at Uniqlo) - June 12 (featuring Hideo Kojima)
San Francisco, CA (at the Metreon) - June 14 (featuring Hideo Kojima, Ryan Payton, Kenichiro Imaizumi, Yumi Kikuchi)

Japan:
Tokyo, Japan - June 11 (featuring Yoji Shinkawa, Producer Matsana?)

Additional details will be posted on the official website soon.

Hideo Kojima: New York fanboy.

:lol

On the podcast Ryan says not to bring the NES version of Metal Gear or Snake's Revenge for Kojima to sign unless you want to upset him.

BigBoss

dr3upmushroom said:
From who Edge? Even then, if they were money hatted wouldn't it get GotY instead of SMG?

From Edge. Maybe that $800 duffel bag wasn't enough to buy them the game of the year award so they settled for most innovate game of the year award.

kuYuri

SolidSnakex said:
:lol

On the podcast Ryan says not to bring the NES version of Metal Gear or Snake's Revenge for Kojima to sign unless you want to upset him.

Huh, that one guy said we aren't allowed to bring anything other than MGS4 to get signed.

Joe211

SolidSnakex said:
Well he was talking about the European tour when he was talking about not bringing MG or SR.

Metal Gear 4 will be released after the European Tour on June 12 so we won't be able to bring our Mgs4 copy :/

El-Suave

I guess they'll have different rules as to what they'll sign and for how many people at each event.

This is what Eurogamer wrote about the London event:
...and in the absence of boxed copies of the game will be signing HMV-exclusive game sleeves.

The duo will be there at 12 noon, but the organisers note that "access to meet Mr. Kojima and Mr. Shinkawa will be strictly limited", so "300 sleeves will be available from the store on the day of the event from 9.00am", and only people with sleeves will be allowed to queue. You can have a sleeve if you pre-order the game at HMV, which involves a GBP 5 deposit.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=142831

kuYuri

Yes! In the latest podcast, Payton mentions those MGS4 shirts are coming out June 12th along with the game at Uniqlo, and guess what? One of the only Uniqlo in the US is in NY in SoHo, which I visited with my friend just two days ago. Some of those shirts will be mine!

God, I love living in NY. :D

EDIT: Oh wow, Kojima will be both at Virgin and Uniqlo. Didn't notice he was going to be at Uniqlo. :O

I love long cutscenes and codec convos. The key is to sandwich lots of gameplay between them. MGS2 failed in this regard, but I think this game will get it right.

MGS3 had a great amount of gameplay, and it was weird how the game started and finished so theatrically, with so much exposition , and between that was an epic journey with minimal interruption (by MGS standards). I think MGS4 is going to have a very different rhythm but be similarly stacked full of GAME.

Dante

The real hilarity will ensue when the EGM scores hit. I wonder if Parish still feels that the NPC models in Halo 3 are better. Fortunatly by the time that hits we will already have the game :)

BigBoss

Dante said:
The real hilarity will ensue when the EGM scores hit. I wonder if Parish still feels that the NPC models in Halo 3 are better. Fortunatly by the time that hits we will already have the game :)

Thats a joke right?

Dante

BigBoss said:
Thats a joke right?

No.......He actually did say that......

I believe he tried to reason by saying that the MGS4 ones were too close to the uncanny valley. God I wish I still had the episode number...It was one of the couple eps he was actually on.

B

B+

A

I'm predicting :)

Darkpen

Banned
JUNE 14TH METREON

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

LeoStenbuck said:
Wouldn't Shane review it for EGM?
no, because he got to play it beforehand, so he doesn't want to affect the score.

Dante

LeoStenbuck said:
Wouldn't Shane review it for EGM?

He can't because he attended the Konami event.

Darkpen said:
JUNE 14TH METREON

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

no, because he got to play it beforehand, so he doesn't want to affect the score.

Will you be there?? want to set up a Metreon meet up?

Darkpen

Banned
Dante said:
Will you be there?? want to set up a Metreon meet up?
oh, for sure. It'd definitely be cool to have a GAF meetup in SF. We could swap PSN IDs and everything (or should I say, MGO character names? lol D:)

I wonder if there'll be a line and stuff to wait in like... early in the day or something (oh, and I do hope they make use of the IMAX theater in some way, that'd be freaking sweet; probably won't though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom