• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_id

Dante said:
The real hilarity will ensue when the EGM scores hit. I wonder if Parish still feels that the NPC models in Halo 3 are better. Fortunatly by the time that hits we will already have the game :)

Since when did the opinions of 1up and EGM matter to us anyway?

the_id

Any of you scared you might end up being a man babies when you finish the game? I'm worried it might be like
Crisis core

the_id said:
Any of you scared you might end up being a man babies when you finish the game? I'm worried it might be like
Crisis core

Yeah. I don't want to beat this and watch the ending in front of anyone. Especially a non-fan of the series.

joey_z

Banned
Metal Gear Solid is not a game made for 10s. It's a niche game. Only existing fans of the series will know its true beauty
Has this one been done?

revolverjgw said:
Yeah. I don't want to beat this and watch the ending in front of anyone. Especially a non-fan of the series.

This applies to me in every way possible. I have friends/roommates that insist on talking during cutscenes (especially story driven games) and I usually end up missing something. MGS is my favorite video game series and I refuse to let it happen with MGS4.

Lakitu

st5fu
Shake Appeal said:
You guys have gone certifiably insane. Just look at yourselves. Slow down, take a breath, reread your posts.

Jesus Christ.

What's your problem? You like Eurogamer, I get it and I respect that. So why are you letting my opinion bother you so much?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
12 fucking days...

Lakitu

st5fu
Orlics said:
WAT

Edge had the most awesome MGS4 preview out there and you have the nerve to call them trash?

Because hey, it's my opinion? Why does that bother you? If you like it, you like it. Fair play.

Klone.K

More and more details from the Edge review are coming out. The two 90 minute cutscenes are all but confirmed. Hell yesssssss

Lakitu said:
What's your problem? You like Eurogamer, I get it and I respect that. So why are you letting my opinion bother you so much?
What's your problem? You like Metal Gear, I get it and I respect that. So why are you letting two opinions from two publications turn you into a frothing lunatic?

Don't let the reviews get to you so much guys. Kojima is catering to the fans with MGS4 and the long-ass cuts scenes that so many people despise aren't just for some people. Edge giving MGS3 an 8 didn't really stop it from being my second favorite game of all time next to MGS2. : )

Anyway, 12 days for you guys, 15-18 for me. I hate living in a gray-market country.

What's your problem? You like Metal Gear, I get it and I respect that. So why are you letting two opinions from two publications turn you into a frothing lunatic?

Just let it go, man. A game he's passionate about didn't get the rating he desired - he's obviously upset. Let it go.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Orlics said:
WAT

Edge had the most awesome MGS4 preview out there and you have the nerve to call them trash?
Previews... that's where they should stop. Stop at the preview and never review a game.

Lakitu

st5fu
Shake Appeal said:

Frothing lunatic? All I have done is state my opinion, you don't seem able to grasp that for some reason. And very clever with the response. Just about what I expected. Grow up.

BlockBastard said:
Don't let the reviews get to you so much guys. Kojima is catering to the fans with MGS4 and the long-ass cuts scenes that so many people despise aren't just for some people. Edge giving MGS3 an 8 didn't really stop it from being my second favorite game of all time next to MGS2. : )

Anyway, 12 days for you guys, 15-18 for me. I hate living in a gray-market country.

Just let it go, man. A game he's passionate about didn't get the rating he desired - he's obviously upset. Let it go.
Still annoying as hell that they don't acknowledge the fact that there's 20 hours of gameplay in there.

Orlics

Lakitu said:
Frothing lunatic? All I have done is state my opinion, you don't seem able to grasp that for some reason. And very clever with the response. Just about what I expected. Grow up.

I understand that thinking Edge is "trash" is an opinion but who will you trust? They are better than most journalists, IMO.

Lakitu

st5fu
Orlics said:
I understand that thinking Edge is "trash" is an opinion but who will you trust? They are better than most journalists, IMO.

I simply just don't like the way they or Eurogamer write, it's nothing to do with the scores they dish out. It's just personal preference, and just because I think they're trash, you shouldn't let it bother you.

Ynos Yrros said:
Still annoying as hell that they don't acknowledge the fact that there's 20 hours of gameplay in there.

At the end of the day, MGS4 will still sell millions AND will most-likely be loved to death by the long-time fans of the serious. That's all that really matters, in my opinion. It's not like I'm not disappointed that MGS4 is getting 10's everywhere like GTA IV, but getting angry over something that is unchangeable is just a waste of energy.

I'm already buying pitch-forks for when the inevitable 6/10 review hits

Blablurn

Joe211 said:
I thought you were going to buy the LE edition?

I know 100 euros is expensive.

I pre-ordered the Japanese Limited Edition. And if I'll get the European Edition as well I sell my Standard version. It's a little bit confusing :D The only reason i ordered the standard version was the possibility to get it on June 11th.

Joe211

Blablurn said:
I pre-ordered the Japanese Limited Edition. And if I'll get the European Edition as well I sell my Standard version. It's a little bit confusing :D The only reason i ordered the standard version was the possibility to get it on June 11th.

I did the same thing I preordered the standard edition in Canada last year a friend of mine will send it to me and I also preordered the Japanese Collector edition for 50 euros and the European LE can't wait.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
MollyMillions said:
About the how/if of Snake's death:

I'm not ruling out a "heroic" suicide (even though it's been telegraphed so obviously in the trailers). Think about it as Snake going out on his own terms instead of whenever FoxDie randomly stops his heart.

I imagine if this happens there will be a huge rift about whether this was a good decision, seeing as how suicide is generally considered "cowardly", selfish and the "easy way out" in Western culture, while in Japan it is often seen as a courageous, selfless, honorable and moral act.

Should be interesting. More interesting than him dying of artificial old age or just being shot in combat.
I'm one of those that think it'll be a brilliant ending. Its different. Sometimes you see heroes sacrifice themselves for a cause, but you dont really see them kill themselves. It shows he's in control of his own destiny. He's determined to go out on his own terms. he was too good to get killed and he wont let foxdie or whatever he's sick with kill him; he's going to do it himself.

psycho_snake

revolverjgw said:
I love long cutscenes and codec convos. The key is to sandwich lots of gameplay between them. MGS2 failed in this regard, but I think this game will get it right.
yeah i love the cutscenes and the codec convo's too. The only ones I hated were the ones between raiden and rose in MGS2. Raiden would be diffusing bombs and then rose would call to ask him if he's in love with her. Selfish cow.

ThirdEye

Klone.K said:
More and more details from the Edge review are coming out. The two 90 minute cutscenes are all but confirmed. Hell yesssssss
So now the MTV blog rumor about Konami asking print reviews to be quiet about cut scene length was untrue?

jonnyp

Orlics said:
WAT

EDGE, EGM and Eurogamer are all trash. Surely no-one gets surprised anymore when they underscore PS3 games and overscore 360 games?

psycho_snake

Klone.k said:
Really? I thought they were false rumours.

FabCam

Orlics said:
WAT

EDGE has been trash for years. Their reviewing system sucks and is totally unpredictable. Whilst their previews are sometimes good, they are almost always old. The writing is just generally bad too.

eso76

psycho_snake said:
I'm one of those that think it'll be a brilliant ending. Its different. Sometimes you see heroes sacrifice themselves for a cause, but you dont really see them kill themselves. It shows he's in control of his own destiny. He's determined to go out on his own terms. he was too good to get killed and he wont let foxdie or whatever he's sick with kill him; he's going to do it himself.

it also shows no one / nothing could kill SS except himself.
But i don't think SS dies in mgs4, and the suicide has been shown too clearly and too many times for it to actually happen in the game.

eso76 said:
But i don't think SS dies in mgs4, and the suicide has been shown too clearly and too many times for it to actually happen in the game.

That's what they want you to think.

psycho_snake

eso76 said:
I've not watched many trailers, but I have seen one (E32006 I think), where
the suicide
was hinted. It could happen, but its very weird if kojima has decided to show everyone how the game will end in a trailer. Knowing kojima, he's probably shown us it just to make us believe that it'll happen, when in fact he'll do something completely different.

Yoshichan

BlockBastard said:
That's what they want you to think.
No, that's what they want you to think.

FabCam said:
EDGE has been trash for years. Their reviewing system sucks and is totally unpredictable. Whilst their previews are sometimes good, they are almost always old. The writing is just generally bad too.

You're out of your mind. Edge is the only consistent reviewer out there.

FabCam said:

Huh? Edge is one of the best gaming magazines still out there. Try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom