• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS Demos (From the Wii's Nintendo Channel): The Official Thread

Shiggy

German demos:
- Sight Training
- Brain Training
- Big Brain Academy
- Picross DS
- 42 All-Time Classics

I don't remember the others - if there are any.

Shiggy

Ramenman said:
Hmmm, just so I don't miss anything : this still isn't out in Euroland right ?

Well, as we are talking about German and Dutch demos this channel should be out in Europe ;)

Stitch

Gold Member
well the channel sure looks nice... but why the fuck is it 284 blocks big? damn it nintendo, give us a bigger fridge.

and that eye training thing is horrible lol

Wizpig

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
UK DS demos this week -
- Sight Training
- Brain Training
- Maths Training
- 42 All-Time Classics
- Mario Kart DS
- Picross
- Big Brain Academy
If i change my Wii Settings from Italy to UK will i be able to play these?
Not that i want to play Mario [old] Kart DS or Maths, just asking for future reference =(

I get there are no ways for a PAL Wii to download US demos though, yeah?

Wizpig

DaBargainHunta said:
Thanks. I added both of these to the OP.

If any other regions are different, please list them here. If I missed any posts, ditto.
Italian Demos [same as German]

- Training for your Eyes
- Brain Training
- 42 All-Time Classics
- Picross DS
- Big Brain Academy

woobit

I just downloaded the channel, and I'm loving it! Norwegian list as far as I remember:

* 42 All-Time Classics (Checkers)
* Big Brain Academy
* Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain?
* Mario Kart DS
* Picross DS
* Professor Kageyama's Maths Training
* Sight Training

(Actually a copy&paste from a site, but I'm pretty sure its correct. I'll double check once my gf is finished playing FFCCMLAAK)

Wizpig

No problem BargainHunta!

Just notice that the UK and Norwegian list of games are the same, so i think you can put those in the same list.

Shiggy

Phife Dawg said:
Hm, I would like to try out Math Training. Anyone did a region switch?

You only have to change the language settings, I think. At least for me changing the region did make no difference. Nevertheless, I was able to try out the Maths Training demo ;)

Ramenman

Any US gamer should try the Apollo Justice demo before it's over (tomorrow if I'm not mistaken).

If it's the same as the flash demo, but with the actual graphics/sound of the game, it may just sell you on it.

Peru

I think Nintendo should stick Picross on that list permanently. I've heard a lot about its unbelievable addictiveness, but I just couldn't see it. Never been a Sudoku guy, and the game looks and sounds so tame. Judging by this board it has to have the best downloaded demo / bought game rate. I know I ran and ordered it after finishing the demo puzzles like the other guy mentioned he did.

Shiggy said:
You only have to change the language settings, I think. At least for me changing the region did make no difference. Nevertheless, I was able to try out the Maths Training demo ;)
Thanks for the heads-up. Will try later. Ever since the gf got into MK and BBA (she only recently developed an urge to play this) I have been setting the Wii to German.

Peru said:
I think Nintendo should stick Picross on that list permanently. I've heard a lot about its unbelievable addictiveness, but I just couldn't see it. Never been a Sudoku guy, and the game looks and sounds so tame. Judging by this board it has to have the best downloaded demo / bought game rate. I know I ran and ordered it after finishing the demo puzzles like the other guy mentioned he did.
It is amazing! A year later I still pick it up every once and a while and after 20 or so hours I still have a ton of unfinished puzzles. One of the best $20 I spent in 2007.

Wizpig

Peru said:
Agreed :D
It's actually the first game in my life that i buy minutes after playing a demo.

Anyway, i noticed one thing:
The service is called "DS Download", not "DS Demos" and they wrote in the description that you can download "extra content" -- so can we expect more Sudoku for the Brain Training software [my mother would be happy] and new Pokémons for Pearl/Diamond? [I'd be happy -_-]

jooey said:
they're not... really the same thing...

I get that they arent the same, but i dont even feel like im even remotely playing a guitar with GH. It might as well be played with the buttons imo, the whole design of the game doesnt even feel like a guitar in the slightest. Jam sessions feels more like a guitar, even though it too is a simplified version of one.

GH is a nice music game, just doesnt feel at all like a guitar game.

Exempted

Banned
New demos today! For once.

-Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Expires 6-8-08)
-Worms: Open Warfare 2 (Expires 6-8-08)
-High School Musical: Makin' The Cut! (Expires 6-8-08)
-The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (Expires 6-8-08)
-Cake Mania 2 (Expires 6-8-08)

Exempted said:
New demos today! For once.

-Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Expires 6-8-08)
-Worms: Open Warfare 2 (Expires 6-8-08)
-High School Musical: Makin' The Cut! (Expires 6-8-08)
-The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (Expires 6-8-08)
-Cake Mania 2 (Expires 6-8-08)
Thanks. I added these to the OP.

At Worlds End on the DS is AWESOME. Best At Worlds End game there is. I wonder if that's a demo they have up or the special downloadable content they were hosting at Disney World...

I tried The Mummy and Worms. The Mummy is pretty much what I expected- some awkward design choices in what could have been a pretty decent game. Worms on the other hand was utterly confusing. I had no clue what to do.

My latest demo impressions (also added to the OP):

Cake Mania 2: My impressions of the first game pretty much sum up how I feel about this one. The sequel seems to be slightly more polished (the entire kitchen is shown on one screen this time, unlike the previous game, where you had to scroll to see everything). But the customers appear to be fussier and I couldn't find a way to throw away a cake I made incorrectly (I assume there's a way to do this in the final game). I'd call this more of an expansion than a sequel. It's really more of the same. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but only diehard Cake Mania fans need apply. (I'd probably snag it for $10 just because I already have the first, but it's probably worth full price otherwise). A Link to the Snitch said that this game "falls under crap." I disagree. Did you even play it, Link? It's actually quite good.

Worms: Open Warfare 2: This is an utter mess of a demo that's probably hiding a decent game. I wasn't quite sure what to do at any point during the game. You seem to switch from worm to worm, with the object being (I assume) to shoot each other off. I never understood the purpose of anything I was doing. Evilmero agrees: "Utterly confusing. I had no clue what to do."

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor: According to evilmero, "The Mummy is pretty much what I expected - some awkward design choices in what could have been a pretty decent game." That's pretty much how I feel as well. When the first two actions in the game are a horrible box-moving "puzzle" and then an even worse stylus-drawing exercise, you know you're in for a generic time overall. The game actually isn't all that bad, but it's entirely forgettable. Shooting with the stylus is clunky at first, but it works decently well once you get used to it. Ultimately, this game is very skippable unless you're a diehard Mummy fan - but at least it's not totally unpolished licensed shov. You could do a lot worse, really. Yeah, I'm pretty apathetic overall about this game, in case you couldn't tell.

Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End: El Pescado feels that "At Worlds End on the DS is AWESOME. Best At Worlds End game there is." It may be the best version (I'm taking Pescado's word on that one), but "awesome" may be stretching it just a bit IMO. It's certainly very competent - there's some fun to be had here - but I don't think it's really anything all that special in the end. The grappling hook controls are clunky - a struggle to come to grips with - and everything else is fairly mundane. Again, like Mummy, I wouldn't call this unpolished shovelware crap - it's actually a decent enough game - but only diehard PoTC fans really need to bother.

High School Musical: Makin' The Cut!: You make music by pressing buttons with the stylus and guiding basketballs into hoops. What?! Exactly. I didn't know what the hell I was doing, and I cared even less. Even worse, the game forces you to look at the bland bottom screen so much that your eyes barely have time to register how your actions are affecting what's happening on the top screen. Not fun!

Linkup

Worms: Open Warfare 2 was pretty fun. I not sure what was confusing. You have two teams and you kill each other. Like the old Castle game on PC, except in real time. I think it has randomly generated maps too, which means the games is in sleep state on my DS right now and probably for a while longer.

Linkup

Only new demo is Arkanoid DS from SE. I thought there was an Arkanoid game on SNES or something? Anyway, it's a Breakout clone(not even sure Breakout was the first) and doesn't seem like a much of a clone at that.

Five-level Arkanoid DS demo is up! Awesome.

Touch screen controls worked pretty well, but I wish they would bring over the paddle.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Linkup said:
Only new demo is Arkanoid DS from SE. I thought there was an Arkanoid game on SNES or something? Anyway, it's a Breakout clone(not even sure Breakout was the first) and doesn't seem like a much of a clone at that.

Yes, Breakout (designed by Steve Jobs) was the first of its kind.

Ho-hum... no updated demos in the UK yet. We had a video list update last week which added a bundle of Wiiware trailers, but there's no sign of any more content so far. The search by category is still a bit flaky - I can't search by What Others Say yet - and I'm still running into problems rating games that I've definitely played for more than an hour.

I'm trying to keep in mind that both Japan and the US seemed to have a sluggish start so hopefully we'll be up to speed in the next week or so...

Linkup said:
Thanks. I added this to the OP.

Most of last week's demos are still up. Cake Mania 2 was the only one yanked, even though it was the best of the lot. I'm scratching my head at that, but I'm thrilled about getting an Arkanoid demo. Even though it's only one new demo, it's a major one (IMO).

If anyone can update me on demos outside of North America, that'd be great. I'm not sure if the info in the OP is still current.

2DMention

Banned
nincompoop said:
Five-level Arkanoid DS demo is up! Awesome.

Touch screen controls worked pretty well, but I wish they would bring over the paddle.

I have the JP version and the demo doesn't support the paddle. :(

I hope SE includes paddle support in the US version.

Nintaiyo

The Worms demo was alright for me, probably because I'm familiar with the Worms games, but I can see how other people would be utterly confused by it. There was barely any explanation of your objective, the rules of the game, or the controls.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm a bit surprised that the DS hackers out there were busy capturing and storing all the demos from e3 and store kiosks but not doing the same with the Wii DS demos.

My impressions of the Arkanoid demo (also posted to the OP):

Arkanoid: Exactly what you'd expect, and that's not a bad thing at all in this case. This demo has a few new additions to Arkanoid that I don't remember seeing in past versions (but I could be mistaken): an adjustable difficulty level that lets you control the speed of the ball, and a barrier system that lets you miss the ball a select number of times (you can vary this as well) before ultimately losing. It's Arkanoid's version of having multiple "lives" and it works really well because the flow of the game is no longer disrupted if you miss the ball.

As 2DMention mentioned, there's no paddle support in the demo. It would suck if this is omitted from the final game. (I assume it's not coming with the paddle in the U.S.? But I'm guessing the paddle can be ordered from places like Playasia, so hopefully the game will still support it somehow.) Thankfully though, stylus control is not required. I don't consider it necessary for a game like this, and I'm glad we're not being forced into it.

The graphics are very nice and colorful for what this is, and the sounds work well. The music is catchy and the usual beeps and boops of Arkanoid all get the job done well enough.

If I didn't already have Devilish and Nervous Brickdown, I'd probably be all over this. Still, at $20, it is tempting and I may end up getting it down the line anyway.

I just wish it had a creation mode like Arkanoid II: Revenge of Doh on PC all those years ago, but perhaps that's too much to ask for from a DS game?

In any case, if you're an Arkanoid fan, don't hesitate.

Capndrake

Europe now has a Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword demo. Available until the 26th. It's up in the Netherlands at least, I assume it's available everywhere.

Top Bottom