• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (Naughty Dog) Shown - 2015

RetroStu

Banned
So, I'm thinking the chances that Sully dies in this one are pretty much 100% now. Also, if Nate is what? Mid 40s or so from his looks, how the hell old is Sully going to be in this?

About 70 probably. Drake was 35 in Uncharted 3 and i'm pretty sure Sully said he was 60 at one point in that game.

I dont see this main Naughty Dog team working on another Uncharted for a while

Well this isn't really the "main" Naughty Dog Uncharted team. I think Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley where getting ready to work on TLOU 2 when they were asked to step in and finish this game. But I don't think they were really planning on returning for UC4. I think this also delayed ND's development for a few years.

Capeo

Banned
About 70 probably. Drake was 35 in Uncharted 3 and i'm pretty sure Sully said he was 60 at one point in that game.
I'm glad they're significantly aging the characters with this iteration of the game. Gives me hope that ND sees a fitting end to Nate's storyline and that they won't drag it out forever even though it's such a successful series for them.

I can’t believe people still have no idea what the difference between a CGI trailer is (Rise of the Tomb Raider teaser) and an in-game engine cut-scene. It’s not rocket science.......all you have to do is look at Uncharted, Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, the reveal teaser and the whole of The Last of Us to know that this is exactly the same. Here’s a bonus example: Resident Evil 4. The teaser here is running off a beefed up engine of the game. It won’t look that good in-game, but that still doesn’t make it any less impressive and it still obviously bodes well for the graphics while playing the game. Anyone who says its CGI is simply wrong and doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

They could, but who knows if they want to.

Besides, it doesn't have to be Naughty Dog.

I think there will definitely be more UC games. I doubt ND would do it. Especially since Amy Henning is gone. They would either have to start a whole new team for UC, which at that point why bother? Or rely on Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann to work on every project at ND, which just seems crazy at this point.

If it is CG, then it's really shitty CG. With TLOU they used rendering farms, several PS3s connected together, to render out the cutscenes with higher fidelity assets. That is probably what they are doing here, meaning this is not what the game will look like outside of cutscenes. It will look very similar, but not as detailed.

fasTRapid

Banned
U33cXQt.jpg
Realtime in 1080p60. I don't think my body can ever be ready to take this all in. MY GOD!
If it is CG, then it's really shitty CG. With TLOU they used rendering farms, several PS3s connected together, to render out the cutscenes with higher fidelity assets. That is probably what they are doing here, meaning this is not what the game will look like outside of cutscenes. It will look very similar, but not as detailed.
You seem to have missed the fat 'Captured directly from a PS4' in the beginning.

velociraptor

I have a feeling this might be the most upsetting Uncharted game yet.

It wouldn't surprise me if this game will cause my eyes to water.

edit: crap, double post.

i-Lo

I'm expecting it to look like TLOU; amazing looking in real time but still noticeably worse that its cinematics.

That forest shot seems totally doable on PS4 in realtime. Not sure about the very beginning with the close up on Nate's face, Im sure its in-engine, but the level of detail is so high and the lighting so accurate and precise I have my doubts.

TheZink

I watched this trailer 4 times in a row. Every time I'm getting more hyped. The music and voice over just does it for me.

Jarmel

Banned
It's not prerendered. The devs have confirmed it, multiple times, multiple different ways, some in the very thread you're posting in.

No they haven't. Pre-rendered=/CG=/Gameplay visuals. All they've said so far is that this was done in-engine, which could very easily(and most likely) mean pre-rendered.

andycapps

You people doubting Naughty Dog's ability to deliver must not have paid attention during the last gen. If I have time, I'll try to find some Uncharted 2 reveals and see how they delivered in the final version.

Guerrilla

why can't people just show gameplay :( I just want to see someone playing it.
either way looks awesome and day one buy of course, just hoped to see more. It's hard to get hyped over what is basically just a camera panning around a character model...

Realtime in 1080p60. I don't think my body can ever be ready to take this all in. MY GOD!
You seem to have missed the fat 'Captured directly from a PS4' in the beginning.

Like I said, they use PS4 farms to render out cutscenes with higher polygon, and detail models. They have done this with TLOU and Uncharted 3, why stop now. There is nothing wrong with what it said at the start, it was technically recorded on a PS4, in the same way that TLOU cutscenes were captured from PS3s, just several.

posted? from their youtube channel description.

Several years after his last adventure, retired fortune hunter, Nathan Drake, is forced back into the world of thieves. With the stakes much more personal, Drake embarks on a globe-trotting journey in pursuit of a historical conspiracy behind a fabled pirate treasure. His greatest adventure will test his physical limits, his resolve, and ultimately what he's willing to sacrifice to save the ones he loves.

The evolution of Nathan Drake

unchartedzdl36.jpg

Maybe this is exactly how the uncanny valley feels like, but something about the new Drake feels off. He is somehow lacking a certain charming look he had before, and as weird as it may sound, humanity.
The new Drake looks unlikable. Like a henchman.

i-Lo

I'll eat my chocolate hat if the final playable game looks anywhere near as good. I'm expecting it to have the same fidelity as TLOU's cinematics.

Top Bottom