• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne (PS4) Playstation Blog Update - New Details, New Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Before I left today, I caught the last live demo of Bloodborne. It was a great way to end my day at E3!

I'm compiling my thoughts on my blog, but holy shit, this is my game of the show hands down, and I saw/played some great stuff.

The videos/trailers, etc don't do this game justice in terms of how incredibly detailed and crisp the visuals are. I was really taken aback by how good it looked. I played The Order. I saw The Witcher 3 live demo running on hardware, and Bloodborne, in my opinion, is right up there with them when it comes to graphically impressive games. The level of detail is Demon's/Dark Souls cranked up to 11. The environment on display was just gorgeous. I wanted to explore every nook and cranny.

Any curiosity I had concerning any gameplay changes between this and the Demon's/Dark Souls games vanished when the demoer encountered his first enemy, and dispatched him with some very familiar melee across it's chest, and that familiar sound effect that you hear when an enemy dies and the player collects his soul.

There was no HUD, so we didn't get to see what the item/weapon UI looks like, but the player would sometimes turn red after an enemy is killed, and other times, his cloak/body would become covered with blood, which would eventually fade. I think the blood thing was how the player healed himself.

The game plays very much like previous games, and the enemies they showed off were varied and really cool/scary. The demo ended with a cool boss battle with some giant creature with amazing fur detail on it, but I was just in awe at what I saw. I didn't think the game would blow me away visually like it did, and the gameplay looks as familiar and fun as it's always been. It catapulted to my most anticipated game for the foreseeable future.

Shengar

Et1Fu6X.png

Although I doubt it'll be like GoW, this statement make sense since shields are no longer in the game. It's pretty much about attack or to be attacked.

Lucent

Before I left today, I caught the last live demo of Bloodborne. It was a great way to end my day at E3!

I'm compiling my thoughts on my blog, but holy shit, this is my game of the show hands down, and I saw/played some great stuff.

The videos/trailers, etc don't do this game justice in terms of how incredibly detailed and crisp the visuals are. I was really taken aback by how good it looked. I played The Order. I saw The Witcher 3 live demo running on hardware, and Bloodborne, in my opinion, is right up there with them when it comes to graphically impressive games. The level of detail is Demon's/Dark Souls cranked up to 11. The environment on display was just gorgeous. I wanted to explore every nook and cranny.

Any curiosity I had concerning any gameplay changes between this and the Demon's/Dark Souls games vanished when the demoer encountered his first enemy, and dispatched him with some very familiar melee across it's chest, and that familiar sound effect that you hear when an enemy dies and the player collects his soul.

There was no HUD, so we didn't get to see what the item/weapon UI looks like, but the player would sometimes turn red after an enemy is killed, and other times, his cloak/body would become covered with blood, which would eventually fade. I think the blood thing was how the player healed himself.

The game plays very much like previous games, and the enemies they showed off were varied and really cool/scary. The demo ended with a cool boss battle with some giant creature with amazing fur detail on it, but I was just in awe at what I saw. I didn't think the game would blow me away visually like it did, and the gameplay looks as familiar and fun as it's always been. It catapulted to my most anticipated game for the foreseeable future.

So excited to hear this. Very hyped for this game. Can't wait. I REALLY hope they'll release some kind of demo or something. I don't care if I can run through it in 5 or 10 minutes. I just want to look at that game and be like "yeah, there's gonna be a full game like this" lol

Any word on a marriage feature, like in Fable?

Serious question? There's no place for that in this type of game. That's just the honest truth. If you've seen/played Demons/Dark Souls, you would know there wouldn't be room for that. lol.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Here are my more detailed impressions of Bloodborne:

http://selectstartgames.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/stefanos-e3-2014-report-part-3-bloodborne/

So excited to hear this. Very hyped for this game. Can't wait. I REALLY hope they'll release some kind of demo or something. I don't care if I can run through it in 5 or 10 minutes. I just want to look at that game and be like "yeah, there's gonna be a full game like this" lol

Serious question? There's no place for that in this type of game. That's just the honest truth. If you've seen/played Demons/Dark Souls, you would know there wouldn't be room for that. lol.

It really was impressive. I don't know what I was thinking, but I wasn't expecting it to look as amazing as it did. The only concerning thing is the framerate, which fluctuated a lot during the presentation. Thankfully, the commentator said that that's one of the things that will be ironed out by release.

dunno if i like magic being replaced by gadgets. maybe they can make magic become alchemy? same effect just different method.

incredible.

Laconic

Banned
This... has me contemplating getting a PS4. I still will not get PS+... like, ever, but I MIGHT get the system for this game.

I just ... want to marry this game 's all.

As for your question, look at my avatar ffs :)

Tex117

Banned
With the game in motion, I still don't see GOW.

It looks like playing Souls with a two handed claymore, but more strategic.

holysan

It’s a souls game, alright. Glad that they keep the formula intact and I’m cool with the aggressiveness they promise. Always played with a shield in the previous games, so that will be a nice, new experience for me.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's definitely a Souls game in the gameplay and audio department. I found it super amusing when the lady demoing the game killed an enemy, and that chime/sound effect of a soul getting collected played.

The animations for movement and attack are also very similar to the Souls games, it's just everything is so fricking polished and clean looking. The lighting and texture work is especially standout here. Makes a world of difference. They just need to iron out the framerate, but the game is quite a ways away. They'll be optimizing it down to the wire. I went from being excited for this game, to being stupidly excited for this game after seeing that live demonstration in person. Blew me away.

Qvoth

This... has me contemplating getting a PS4. I still will not get PS+... like, ever, but I MIGHT get the system for this game.

This game will most probably have mp elements no matter what, I don't think that's a good idea if u want the full experience

Holy shit! Did not expect Bloodborne to get so much game of the show praise. Good job FROM SOFTWARE!

It's not too surprising for a few reasons. Dark Souls 2 is currently the highest rated game of the year even though we've seen big releases like Titanfall, inFamous, Watch_Dogs and Mario Kart 8. It's also a game that's almost entirely mechanics and gameplay driven. I think that's something that really clicks with some people since many games are very story heavy and cinematic.

burgerdog

Nah. March 31st is a placeholder if you pre-order digitally. It'll give you a countdown timer for like 291 days or something right now. But they said early 2015 or spring. Something along those lines.

Baaaaaaaah, I knew that would have been too good to be true. I really hope it doesn't get delayed.

Stillmatic

Tried to compile some of the info we have. I may have missed some tidbits, but here we go.

- Early 2015 release
- Action RPG
- PS4 Exclusive. (Sony IP)
- No easier difficulty. Targeting the same level of difficulty as Demon's Souls.
- Game length will be around the same as Souls games.
- Visually one of the most impressive current gen games.
- Targeting 1080p 30fps. Game is still early so currently has framerate issues, devs have acknowledged this and said will be ironed out.
- Bloodborne was started by the team who developed Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls after they finished work on the Artorias of the Abyss DLC.
- Bloodborne does not star a static protagonist, can customize character and stats like previous souls games.
- From Software says it's going to be more in line with the death penalties and progression system found in Demon's Souls, which from what we gather means that we'll be collecting souls (Blood?) and returning to a safe zone once again.
- The world and story is completely new, and the setting takes full advantage of the PS4's capabilities
- City is called Yharnam, it's massive, looks like London back in the 19th century
- game will take place during various times of day and weather.
- "If you remember the Tower of Latria level in Demon's Souls, that's the kind of atmosphere we want to create with Bloodborne." ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmWmABpzT0U )
- City is very densely layered. 'More complex than Thief'
- When asked, From Software says it's not pursuing the same open structure of Dark Souls II
- The zones of the game are connected between them, as in Dark Souls 1 (conflicts with the above point?)
- Q: Will zones only be filled with enemies? A: You will feel alone.
- But the game has NPC's, can choose to save or ignore some that are in trouble.
- Ragdolls are in
- Cloth physics
- Fog gates are in
- Bosses will not always be behind soul-gates this time. Instead, sometimes they'll just ambush you and the soul-walls will just appear afterwards
- Monsters bleed where you slice them.
- Some areas are really dark, you'll need a torch to navigate.
- There will be no map display in the game
- No shields, focus on faster action.
- Rolling, backstepping, locking on, parry and kicking are all in.
- There are less weapons overall, but he thinks the depth of each of those actually available make up for that difference.
- Still tons of weapons and armor to collect
- Weapons are divided by right and left hand so you cannot dual wield certain weapons.
- Bladed weapon in right hand is referred to as a 'Sawcleaver'
- Firearms are more useful defensively, to stun enemies, giving you time to back up or create counter-attack opportunities.
- If you hit an enemy's torch they get set on fire.
- You cannot play this the same way as Demon's Souls'. Have to be more aggressive.
- He wants combat to not just focus on action but also the strategic element.
- The combat in the game is designed to feel like a life or death struggle.
- Enemies are not static spawns, but walk around and can come from anywhere (behind crates etc).
- The keywords for the game is "blood" and "beast".
- Blood a key focus and is also used to regain your HP and gain various other benefits.
- They said the Virus(bloodborned) has progressions.
- You get blood sucking it from corpses or items.
- Sucking too much blood will turn you into a beast which I suppose is this game’s Soul/Hollow form. The game will apparently become a lot harder to play/control when in beast mode. To become a human again you need human blood and is where the online component comes into play. [translated from Famitsu, not sure if entirely accurate]
- There will be online elements of some sort, and it will involve players "discovering" together. As to how exactly the process of fighting alongside other players will work, Miyazaki's coy. "The key concept, or phrase, that we have right now is it's an open explorative community," is all he'll give away.

Screenshots:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=115802051

E3 Trailer:
http://youtu.be/G203e1HhixY
Direct Feed Download: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_bloodborne_direct_feed_trailer-15445_en.html

Offscreen gameplay:
http://youtu.be/0GCx2wW61aQ
Webm: http://a.pomf.se/vgzutd.webm

Pre-E3 Leaked gameplay (old footage)
http://a.pomf.se/pfqpvs.webm

meta4

I am super happy to see demons / dark souls ragdoll is kind of back

Was it missing in 2? I have not played DS2.

It's not too surprising for a few reasons. Dark Souls 2 is currently the highest rated game of the year even though we've seen big releases like Titanfall, inFamous, Watch_Dogs and Mario Kart 8. It's also a game that's almost entirely mechanics and gameplay driven. I think that's something that really clicks with some people since many games are very story heavy and cinematic.

Yeah. It makes sense the press is so super stoked about the game. Cant wait for it!

Stillmatic

Removing hilarious ragdolls was the worst part of Dark Souls 2.

Consdering the world design is supposed to be like Dark Souls 1 and not separated areas connected by a central hub, it's basically PR talk made because Demon's Souls is the one associated with the Sony brand.

Bloodborne is its own beast.

Fair call, I'll scratch it off the list!

SpokkX

Tried to compile some of the info we have. I may have missed some tidbits, but here we go.

- Early 2015 release
- Action RPG
- Spiritual successor to Demon's Souls
- No easier difficulty. Targeting the same level of difficulty as Demon's Souls.
- Targeting 1080p 30fps. Game is still early so currently has framerate issues, devs have acknowledged this and said will be ironed out.
- Bloodborne was started by the team who developed Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls after they finished work on the Artorias of the Abyss DLC.
- Bloodborne does not star a static protagonist, can customize character and stats like previous souls games.
- From Software says it's going to be more in line with the death penalties and progression system found in Demon's Souls, which from what we gather means that we'll be collecting souls (Blood?) and returning to a safe zone once again.
- The world and story is completely new, and the setting takes full advantage of the PS4's capabilities
- City is called Yharnam, it's massive, looks like London back in the 19th century
- "If you remember the Tower of Latria level in Demon's Souls, that's the kind of atmosphere we want to create with Bloodborne."
- When asked, From Software says it's not pursuing the same open structure of Dark Souls II
- The zones of the game are connected between them, as in Dark Souls 1 (conflicts with the above point?)
- But the game has NPC's, can choose to save or ignore some that are in trouble.
- Ragdolls are in
- Fog gates are in
- Cloth physics
- There are less weapons overall, but he thinks the depth of each of those actually available make up for that difference.
- Weapons are divided by right and left hand so you cannot dual wield certain weapons.
- Firearms are more useful defensively, to stun enemies, giving you time to back up or create counter-attack opportunities.
- You cannot play this the same way as Demon's Souls'. Have to be more aggressive.
- Enemies are not static spawns, but walk around and can come from anywhere (behind crates etc).
- Blood a key focus and is also used to regain your HP and gain various other benefits.
- Sucking too much blood will turn you into a beast which I suppose is this game’s Soul/Hollow form. The game will apparently become a lot harder to play/control when in beast mode. To become a human again you need human blood and is where the online component comes into play.
- There will be online elements of some sort, and it will involve players "discovering" together. As to how exactly the process of fighting alongside other players will work, Miyazaki's coy. "The key concept, or phrase, that we have right now is it's an open explorative community," is all he'll give away.

Thanks, great post :)

ErichWK

Tower of Latria is the scariest moment I've ever had in gaming. Ever. EVER. (maybe next to the dogs jumping out the window in Resident Evil)

fedexpeon

Banned

Random Co-op?
Like I would meet you in your world, but I don't know that I am in your world because I thought I am in my world then suddenly I am back in my own world while another enters mine...
Inception!...I hope.

- "If you remember the Tower of Latria level in Demon's Souls, that's the kind of atmosphere we want to create with Bloodborne."

Oh my god, oh my god..... calming down.

Thank you, I remember this so well, such a great stage. oh my god oh my god.

It's definitely a Souls game in the gameplay and audio department. I found it super amusing when the lady demoing the game killed an enemy, and that chime/sound effect of a soul getting collected played.

The animations for movement and attack are also very similar to the Souls games, it's just everything is so fricking polished and clean looking. The lighting and texture work is especially standout here. Makes a world of difference. They just need to iron out the framerate, but the game is quite a ways away. They'll be optimizing it down to the wire. I went from being excited for this game, to being stupidly excited for this game after seeing that live demonstration in person. Blew me away.

Thanks for the impressions, Figboy79.

A few questions from me, if you wouldn't mind fielding them! Did you observe a roll/dodge/evade manoeuvre of any kind? And did you observe any target lock-on mechanics of any kind?

Cheers!

Bundy

Banned

- Early 2015 release
- Action RPG
- Ragdolls are in
- Fog gates are in
- Cloth physics
- Sucking too much blood will turn you into a beast which I suppose is this game’s Soul/Hollow form. The game will apparently become a lot harder to play/control when in beast mode. To become a human again you need human blood and is where the online component comes into play.
Man..... BLOODBORNE will be so damn awesome :'-)
Can't wait!!!!!

The fact they say this will be interconnected and that the city is very dense has me pitching a huge tent. The premise of this game is making me have game of the forever feels. People are already comparing the atmosphere to Resident Evil 4 hnnnnghhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom