• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne (PS4) Playstation Blog Update - New Details, New Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
havent played a souls game but i believe i heard there would be no shields in this game and was wondering how you guys (who have played previous games) feel about that and how you think it may impact the combat.

Souls is more fun playing without a shield anyway.

That being said, as far as I know there is no evidence that there won't be shields in the full game. Just that one wasn't show in the demos...

Although some of the enemies had shields. I'm fairly certain they'll be in there, even if they try and push you towards not using them.

havent played a souls game but i believe i heard there would be no shields in this game and was wondering how you guys (who have played previous games) feel about that and how you think it may impact the combat.

I started playing without shields in second play-throughs of Demon's and Dark 1, and abandoned "sword-and-board" gameplay completely in Dark 2. It's more fun, IMO, and something everybody should try.

\o/

It's funny how terrible Souls-esque combat looks without lock-on being used. I'm assuming the person playing has never played a Souls before? Gots to click that R3.

viveks86

The placeholder date (March 31st?) may not be a placeholder date after all!

CIrH6Co.png

Orayn

\o/

It's funny how terrible Souls-esque combat looks without lock-on being used. I'm assuming the person playing has never played a Souls before? Gots to click that R3.

The entire UI was disabled for the demo, apparently, so maybe there was functioning lock-on but no easy way of telling when it was enabled.

It's A Gorgeous Next-Gen Game

Seeing the PlayStation 4-exclusive Bloodborne in action is a stunning reminder that we are in a new generation of powerful hardware. The gothic town is filled with abandoned carriages that realistically burst into splinters when attacked. Blood splatters off fallen foes, coating the player's black rain slicker, and glistening in the moonlight. The fire of the insane villagers' torches flickers across the dim environment in a convincing manner. The characters' movement is also much smoother than in past Souls' games, creating an authentic-feeling world. Bloodborne is among the most visually impressive games I've ever seen.

Player Customization Is Back

Bloodborne does not star a static protagonist
; the customization fans of the Souls games love makes a return here. From Software confirms that players will be able to upgrade their characters and seek after the best gear possible. Armor, weapons, items and more will be discoverable throughout the game to hone your character into the warrior you want.

Player Death & Progression Are More Akin To Demon's Soul

From Software says they don't want players to get so frustrated with dying that they put down the controller. While I personally thought the death penalties in Dark Souls II were well balanced, From Software says it's going to going to be more in line with the death penalties and progression system found in Demon's Souls. From Software says that progression will also be more in line with Demon's Souls, which from what we gather means that we'll be collecting souls and returning to a safe zone once again.

The Game World Is Less Open

When asked, From Software says it's not pursuing the same open structure of Dark Souls II.
Dark Souls II features a hub world filled with vendors and an NPC for leveling-up, along with interconnected bonfires for convenient teleportation. We can only speculate that since From Software says it's not following Dark Souls II's structure, that the game will be slightly more linear. However, we did spot more of the shortcuts that makes traversing through the worlds of Souls games so rewarding. For example, the player knocked down a ladder later in the demo that linked back to an area they had been exploring 20 minutes earlier. It's too early to draw any conclusions, but it's an interesting choice on From Software's part.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/b...redible-but-is-it-a-quot-souls-quot-game.aspx

birdchili

I love the idea that (from the over-enthused gt guy) there are massive hordes of creatures that move through the main streets that you're (assuming wisdom) actively avoiding; skulking in the alleys where the fights are more manageable.

Setting seems perfect for a souls-style game too: lots of verticality and dark/hidden spots, lots of fiction/genre to draw on for horrific inspiration.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not sure I agree with him on "arcadey" but calling it his game of show is pretty strong.

Colin Moriarty ‏@notaxation
Bloodborne is EXACTLY what I've been asking for: a quick/arcadey Dark Souls. Saw a behind-closed-doors presentation/demo. Game of the Show.

https://twitter.com/notaxation/status/476880096121606144

Definitely didn't get arcadey from what I saw. I've seen it 2 times now and took away more detail this time. It's not DMC at all, not sure how that comparison is being made. It's just a tighter, stronger combat system than the souls games. It's a little faster paced, but overall it's more that you're more involved in the combat, and it's less methodical.

Mxrz

Fucking bonfires. Boo. Booooo.

Glad its not a static character, that always worries me. Would not be Souls with some dipshit protagonist.

Hub - Thank goodness. Can hardly remember much about the Dark Souls NPCs. But still recall the Demon's crew.

More aggressive gameplay, really can't judge it yet until gameplay is shown more. No shield/block probably means less situations where you need to block chains/ranged. Which sounds promising. - Saw the video. Its a Souls game. All I needed to know. Weeeee.

Overdoziz

Banned
The framerate seems to drop quite a bit when he reaches the top of the ladder. It's still very far out, but considering how bad the framerate can be in the previous games on console it's at least a bit worrying. I'd take all the downgrades in the world over the framerate dropping below 30, especially after how smooth DkS2 was on PC.

I will miss the depowering feelings in DS but I guess new enviroments requires a new playstyles kinda hate you are a badass character that can deal with everything but nevermind.

Mifune

Mehmber
I will miss the depowering feelings in DS but I guess new enviroments requires a new playstyles kinda hate you are a badass character that can deal with everything but nevermind.

Where did you get the impression that you are a badass character that can deal with everything? Again, this isn't DMC.

Soriku

Fucking bonfires. Boo. Booooo.

Glad its not a static character, that always worries me. Would not be Souls with some dipshit protagonist.

Hub - Thank goodness. Can hardly remember much about the Dark Souls NPCs. But still recall the Demon's crew.

More aggressive gameplay, really can't judge it yet until gameplay is shown more. No shield/block probably means less situations where you need to block chains/ranged. Which sounds promising. - Saw the video. Its a Souls game. All I needed to know. Weeeee.

Bonfires and hub aren't confirmed. The bonfires and hub comment was referring to Dark Souls 2.

Shengar

Wh...T-the game was just revealed and we've been told close to nothing about the game itself. That's a huge assumption.

The footage we've seen so far show similar character using similar, if not same, weapon and equipment. No wonder many people jumped to assumption that to be frank, very premature at this point. We should wait for further event.

The footage we've seen so far show similar character using similar, if not same, weapon and equipment. No wonder many people jumped to assumption that to be frank, very premature at this point. We should wait for further event.

But that's like watching a reveal trailer for just about anything and assuming major gameplay stuff based on what you see entirely on the trailer. It doesn't tend to work unless it's very broad statements.

Stillmatic

Any words on class? So far this sound like no class in the game.

See here:

Are there classes in the game?
There are character archetypes, not unlike his other games.

GameInformer said:
Player Customization Is Back

Bloodborne does not star a static protagonist; the customization fans of the Souls games love makes a return here. From Software confirms that players will be able to upgrade their characters and seek after the best gear possible. Armor, weapons, items and more will be discoverable throughout the game to hone your character into the warrior you want.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/b...redible-but-is-it-a-quot-souls-quot-game.aspx

Sounds like it's much inline with the Souls series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom