• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games with Gold July: Guacamelee/Max (Xbox One), Gotham City/Battleblock (360)

Etnos

Banned
Yep – and to any apologists asking to give MS time to figure this out...um, yeah, if they are doing this at the very beginning of the program I kind of doubt that they’re going to remedy it over time. Also, Sony seems to have no problem coming up with new content every month for PS4.

/facepalm

"Apologist" ? common at least be honest about it, nothing MS does at this point is going to change the perception, the discurse of them being the bad guys is now entrenched in a good chunk of the gaming community, specially here in GAF.

so whatever.

btw I was going to buy Guacamele as I had no chance to play it before and I wanted the achievements, cool for me I guess.

malfcn

Xbox One
00 | Halo: Spartan Assault (Available until July 3)
00 | Max: The Curse of Brotherhood (Available until August 3)

Nobody reads the fine print.
I am ready for Guacamelee and Battle Block.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I don't ever remember them guaranteeing two games. Some of you guys are ridiculously needy, complaining about free games. The service JUST STARTED.

I am completely happy with Guacamelee.

Careful, some people hate when you call them "free" games.

Google

I don't ever remember them guaranteeing two games. Some of you guys are ridiculously needy, complaining about free games. The service JUST STARTED.

I am completely happy with Guacamelee.

How is it needy to state disappointment with a service that was hyped and advertised as something that would add value to a subscription I pay money for?

I'm happy you're happy with Guacamelee. I would suggest that a game that's been available for over a year on alternative platforms (and was part of their PS+ campaign seven months ago) is not particularly special and the other game is something that I already took this month.

Etnos

Banned
And Gold started with zero, let's not forget about that.

And yet Gold as a service managed to win the online market for at least the first 4 years of last generation with zero free games, Just because it was a far less atrocious online service than early PS3 PSN was. Lets not forget about that either.

Either way competition is a good thing.

hawk2025

My first reaction is "fuck yes, I want a third copy of Guacamelee for free!".

And I'll play it, and I'll love it all over again.

But damn it if this whole games with gold thing hasn't been very misleading. First the discounts were supposed to be up to 50 and 70%, and we get Forza at 33% off and Ryse at a hilarious 17% off.

Now the 2 games a month is, well, 1 game.

Keep up with the competition. There's no giving them time since they've had 3+ years to prepare for this.

RdN

The xbox one hasn't been out for a year, i'd cut them some slack. They can't give their whole library away.

We can't "cut them some slack".. Look at the PS4. Sony DEBUTTED the system with 2 free games. Xbox One is on the market for over 7 months and they can't scramble together 2 free games? Fuck that.

flkraven

Happy with Guacamelle but disappointed it's only 1 game. I hate when they intentionally mislead the customers by announcing 2 per month, have everyone looking forward to the next 2 games, only to find out there is fine print somewhere that implies the contrary. Why the hell don't they just come out and say '1 per month'?

Is Max being replaced next month? Or is it legit 2 next month?

Salex_

Haven't played Guacamelee so I'm excited to finally play it.

Having Max again for a 2nd month feels really sleazy though.

Pretty sleezy that they promised 2 games a month and in the July PR wording it looks like they'll just switch out one game a month from now on. Whoever crafted that message deserves a raise.

lol this word is amazing.

This is actually the #1 definition of the word on Urban Dictionary
Sleezy or Sleezie: is what me and my friends define as the dirtiest of dirty sexually. not only is he/she nasty sexually but also a hoe or a slut doing almost anything..
#2 sounds right for this though
low class, trashy, disgusting, sleeze bag, trailer trash

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Happy with Guacamelle but disappointed it's only 1 game. I hate when they intentionally mislead the customers by announcing 2 per month, have everyone looking forward to the next 2 games, only to find out there is fine print somewhere that implies the contrary. Why the hell don't they just come out and say '1 per month'?

Is Max being replaced next month? Or is it legit 2 next month?

It says in the OP.

malfcn

The Games with Gold page originally said Max until August.
Some territories may still say it, and why they removed it from the US page.

/facepalm

"Apologist" ? common at least be honest about it, nothing MS does at this point is going to change the perception, the discurse of them being the bad guys is now entrenched in a good chunk of the gaming community, specially here in GAF.

so whatever.

btw I was going to buy Guacamele as I had no chance to play it before and I wanted the achievements, cool for me I guess.

That's precisely why they should be working hard to try to at least offer what Sony has been for years now. Not what they're doing now which is pretty sketchy especially given the fact that most people just assumed (right or wrong) that they were doing 2 a month. You can say that consumers should do their due diligence and all but, c’mon, it seems pretty clear that they continue to have every intent on being dragged into parity with PS+.

malfcn

wbfRhfo.png

Not my screenshot. But this is what it looked like when it first went up.

atr0cious

Poor Guac dev must not expect many sales on the one version he probably had to make, just to get on the xbox live market in the first place, and they're giving it away on release.

Kayant

Google

Poor Guac dev must not expect many sales on the one version he probably had to make, just to get on the xbox live market in the first place, and they're giving it away on release.

What? The dev still gets paid for it.

They work a deal out with Sony/Microsoft and get either a fixed amount of income for the duration of the title being on plus/Live or receive an amount per download.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Not my screenshot. But this is what it looked like when it first went up.

Totally accurate, and for about the entire time the PS+ service was up (until just a month or so ago), Uncharted was available for the Vita. I think people just expected them to add 2 games a month regardless of how long other games were available.

And yet Gold as a service managed to win the online market for at least the first 4 years of last generation with zero free games, Just because it was a far less atrocious online service than early PS3 PSN was. Lets not forget about that either.

Either way competition is a good thing.

uh huh I don't know how having DRM on the Xbone would change the way AAA games are made.

Yes competition is a good thing.

I already own Battleblock, and Impostors and Guacamelee on PS3. I think Impostors is a baaad choice. I could never get into that game.

Ape

Banned
That's horrible for the Xbox One. You can't switch out one game like that, there's too much pressure on you as a service. If this is an ongoing practice the you can't look at GWG at the same value as PS+ on the Game rental side.

Google

Totally accurate, and for about the entire time the PS+ service was up (until just a month or so ago), Uncharted was available for the Vita. I think people just expected them to add 2 games a month regardless of how long other games were available.

Yup.

I assumed they would be adding two new games per month while potentially keeping a few titles on rotation in the same vein as PS+.

TK Turk

Banned
One new xbox one game per month (read the bottom print). Not sure why a lot of you were expecting two. I thought they said June was a special month due to the start of the program and E3.

Ggpl2y4.jpg

One new xbox one game per month (read the bottom print). Not sure why a lot of you were expecting two. I thought they said June was a special month due to the start of the program and E3.

Ggpl2y4.jpg

You're not sure why many were assuming that finally MS was trying to offer at least what Sony's service does? Really?!

hawk2025

Snip

Nevermind then, I must have missed it.

Genuinely thought they would rotate in 2 games per month.

Ape

Banned

Ggpl2y4.jpg

Good catch. That probably settles it.

Top Bottom