• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Sim Racing previews Forza Horizon 2

One of these videos has already been posted in the other FH2 thread, but I believe they deserve more exposure since they're showing quite a bit of stuff that we haven't seen or heard about in other E3 coverage.

So here are their impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZwfYTo-dEo

But even more interesting is the behind the closed doors gameplay demonstration with developer commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBcAQ0a8p6w

Even in the parts that we've seen before the lighting somehow looks different. I don't know if that's because the footage is off-screen or if they're actually playing during a different time of day.

Whoa, lots of new footage in the second video.

Looks like they kept the nuclear sky from Mainline 5. Was hoping they'd tone that down a little...

manual4

Banned
One of these videos has already been posted in the other FH2 thread, but I believe they deserve more exposure since they're showing quite a bit of stuff that we haven't seen or heard about in other E3 coverage.

So here are their impressions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZwfYTo-dEo

But even more interesting is the behind the closed doors gameplay demonstration with developer commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBcAQ0a8p6w

Even in the parts that we've seen before the lighting somehow looks different. I don't know if that's because the footage is off-screen or if they're actually playing during a different time of day.
around 4:41 in the first video lighting looks different

I think I might be looking forward to this more than Halo this year. I'm not sure if I missed it in the second video, but did they go into any specifics on the music selection? Pardon me if they did.

Loving the new upgrade screen,

2siAwuw.png

I think I might be looking forward to this more than Halo this year. I'm not sure if I missed it in the second video, but did they go into any specifics on the music selection? Pardon me if they did.

Not here (they just mention it's as important to the game as it was in the first Horizon), but there will be twice as much music on twice as many radio stations, and Rob da Bank is the one selecting it again.

Not here (they just mention it's as important to the game as it was in the first Horizon), but there will be twice as much music on twice as many radio stations, and Rob da Bank is the one selecting it again.

I think he did a pretty good job with the tracks last time around, exposed me to some pretty enjoyable stuff I still drive to today.

Is there a wheel which is awesome yet?

I've seen reviews of the Thrustmaster TX Ferrari 458 Italia wheel and it's been extremely positive (ISR has a review up as well as The Sim Pit I believe). Compatible with Xbox One and PC.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tx-racing-wheel-ferrari-458-italia-edition

The biggest complaint with the set are the pedals as it lacks a clutch pedal.

It's $335 on Amazon which is a bit too much for me personally. Hopefully between now and the fall they will go a bit cheaper, or more options get announced. I've been itching to get a good wheel myself.

I think he did a pretty good job with the tracks last time around, exposed me to some pretty enjoyable stuff I still drive to today.

Oh definitely. I used to work as a part time DJ back then, and I was pleasantly surprised to find some of my favorite yet little known tracks in the game. I'm kind of out of the loop at the moment, so I'm looking forward to discovering some good new music through Horizon 2.

c0de

I've seen reviews of the Thrustmaster TX Ferrari 458 Italia wheel and it's been extremely positive (ISR has a review up as well as The Sim Pit I believe). Compatible with Xbox One and PC.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tx-racing-wheel-ferrari-458-italia-edition

The biggest complaint with the set are the pedals as it lacks a clutch pedal.

It's $335 on Amazon which is a bit too much for me personally. Hopefully between now and the fall they will go a bit cheaper, or more options get announced. I've been itching to get a good wheel myself.

Oh, that looks amazing. Any other racing wheels supporting Xbone currently or in future?

mavs

In the second video the guy says he can't talk about it for lack of time, but I think I heard 2 Cut Copy tracks in that video alone so it already sounds good to me.

trinest

Oh, that looks amazing. Any other racing wheels supporting Xbone currently or in future?

Theres the madman one which I like the look of. But not sure what the best one is available at this stage.

Then you have the $100 one which has no force feedback.

RyudBoy

Wow @ the 2nd video. The game looks great! I'm really looking forward to it the most out of all the games coming to XB1 later this year.

c0de

Racing against balloons, planes, etc was easily the worst part of Horizon 1. Hated them. Absolutely hated them. They weren't fun, they were just exercises in how much the developers can frustrate a player.

I agree that in the end these challenges were really tough to do, yes. I had to do one race about 10 times. But they were optional so I was ok with them.

Racing against balloons, planes, etc was easily the worst part of Horizon 1. Hated them. Absolutely hated them. They weren't fun, they were just exercises in how much the developers can frustrate a player.

I didn't like the helicopter race, but I really enjoyed the Mustang one, and didn't mind the balloons. I have to say the idea of racing against a freight plane conducting a night landing in a storm sounds might appealing to me.

c0de

It looks great but I still prefer DC ...graphics whise.

I am undecided because of the different approach to art design. Horizon looks intentionally artificial in a way I still like it a lot. DC looks way more realistic, yes.

I agree that in the end these challenges were really tough to do, yes. I had to do one race about 10 times. But they were optional so I was ok with them.

Pretty sure they weren't optional, but it's been a while since I last played them that perhaps I'm mistaken.

I didn't like the helicopter race, but I really enjoyed the Mustang one, and didn't mind the balloons. I have to say the idea of racing against a freight plane conducting a night landing in a storm sounds might appealing to me.

Yeah, that did sound really cool. I guess with this game being more open, it hopefully means those races won't be nearly as frustrating as they were in Horizon 1.

Mmmm dat dirt.

Now imagine how it'll look after you've been racing through a wet field. Man, I can't wait to see how they handle mud.

It looks great but I still prefer DC ...graphics whise.

Driveclub looks gorgeous as well, it has a nice soft quality to its lighting. I'm sure the part of me that loves driving through beautiful scenery (and it's a sizable part of me, let me tell you) is going to be in heaven while playing both those games.

That said, some 70% of this footage is comprised of things you simply can't do in Driveclub.

klodeckel

Banned
Waaaaaaa?? I LOVED these events. I remember one race versus a plane in between hills and rocks and ... Wow! It was hard, but it just felt so damn epic and satisfying. And it felt fresh. For me, this events were really something unique and part of that whole "Horizon" feeling. I hope they have much more from that kind of events.

Opinions ... :p

Waaaaaaa?? I LOVED these events. I remember one race versus a plane in between hills and rocks and ... Wow! It was hard, but it just felt so damn epic and satisfying. And it felt fresh. For me, this events were really something unique and part of that whole "Horizon" feeling. I hope they have much more from that kind of events.

Opinions ... :p
Hell yeah. I'm not the biggest driving game fan in the world - I get bored of them quite quickly but enjoy the shiny graphics for a bit - but I LOVED racing a plane in FH1, it was so much fun.

Now FH3 let me fly the damned plane against noobs from my car club.

Man, tons of new info. There were so many places in the vid where I thought he was going to follow the road and he just straight up faked out my eyeballs and went off road. I was on the edge of my seat when he was driving into the woods and I'm not even playing.

Good grief playground, take my money!

never-show-your-wallet-to-a-woman.gif

HeliosT10

Glad you're enjoying the footage. This was taken from our behind closed doors demo of the game at E3, and as some of you have noted this is a different build of the game than the demo that was available on the showfloor.

Yes, those are all 3D modelled people in the crowds btw :p

HeliosT10

Yeah, I thought it was quite remarkable that he never hit a single tree.

I have to drive that demo sometimes at events, and the answer is simply...practice...lots and lots of practice!!

Saw a couple of comments earlier about pop-in and just wanted to say that obviously the visuals are going to be continually polished right up until launch. Bit of a standard answer that but it's the truth and worth stating :)

Nah I'm only playing. Actually I was hoping that in Horizon 2 there would be cardboard cutouts of Dan hidden throughout the world which we would have to hunt down and smash.

Missed opportunity... :)

c0de

I have to drive that demo sometimes at events, and the answer is simply...practice...lots and lots of practice!!

Saw a couple of comments earlier about pop-in and just wanted to say that obviously the visuals are going to be continually polished right up until launch. Bit of a standard answer that but it's the truth and worth stating :)

No problem and thanks for replying to us. Of course nobody should judge graphics based on e3-footage. Especially if it was behind closed doors :) I am confident the experience will at least match FH1.

Top Bottom