• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

45 years ago today, Apollo 11 was launched and headed for the Moon (pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Today marks (I edited in this part) the 45th anniversary of the July 16, 1969 launch of Apollo 11, the NASA mission that first landed human beings on the Moon. Years of effort, dangerous experiments, and bold missions led up to the Moon landing, an event watched on live television by millions around the world. Astronauts Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Edwin "Buzz" E. Aldrin left the Earth on a Wednesday, landed on the Moon on that Sunday, spent a bit more than two hours walking on its surface, deploying experiments and collecting samples, then splashed down safely in the Pacific Ocean the following Thursday, after 8 days off-planet. Collected here are 45 images of that historic mission, a "giant leap for mankind," 45 years ago.

The Atlantic has a ton of great pictures (way more at the link).

BGzkffy.jpg

iVXbXUf.jpg

azfsD3d.jpg

nRsMNse.jpg

ezrvWTp.jpg

qIeToJN.jpg

4gfvfuM.jpg

hAXB6hf.jpg

TIp3Cac.jpg

GV3cjqz.jpg

S61um5H.jpg

Xcn1nzx.jpg

REcpnEg.jpg

rlWIcsj.jpg

M2Cc9xA.jpg

IqxXI62.jpg

Uam7Fs2.jpg

yl50hda.jpg

029rch8.jpg

The Russians almost beat us to the moon. Each of our spacecraft were mere hours apart. The unmanned Russian craft slammed into the surface though. Kennedy didn't give a damn about space or NASA. It was all PR and we very nearly lost.

The Russians almost beat us to the moon. Each of our spacecraft were mere hours apart. The unmanned Russian craft slammed into the surface though. Kennedy didn't give a damn about space or NASA. It was all PR and we very nearly lost.

If you think an unmanned landing would have had the propaganda victory a manned landing would, I dont know what to say.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
In MGS3, it's told that the Russians were first. Was Kojima lying?

Dragon

Banned
There's a guy at work who thinks no one has ever landed on the moon, despite being able to clearly see the American flag with certain equipment...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
There's a guy at work who thinks no one has ever landed on the moon, despite being able to clearly see the American flag with certain equipment...

Actually, the flags have likely long since likely been bleached white and may have even deteriorated completely.

And no, you can't see the flags from Earth. We couldn't see them again until the LRO did some fly-bys.

Bodacious

Banned
I actually watched the live Apollo 11 landing, plopped down in front of the TV by my parents and told to look. But I had just turned 2yo about a month earlier so I have no memory of it. I do remember when Apollo 17 happened though, I was in kindergarten. I remember the Apollo-Soyuz thing too, and when Viking 1 landed on Mars.

When I think about what pieces of shit the everyday consumer automobile was back then (even if they were aesthetically cool, they were pretty primitive), how antiquated all the electronics were ... NASA's successes in that era are just astounding.

When I think about what pieces of shit the everyday consumer automobile was back then (even if they were aesthetically cool, they were pretty primitive), how antiquated all the electronics were ... NASA's successes in that era are just astounding.

The memory capacity of the landing module was somewhere equivalent to a photo on your phone. That's pretty crazy.

Tagyhag

I'm still blown away regarding the quality of cameras that NASA had in 1969. That first Buzz pic and the picture of the Earth with the Sun are superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom