• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

45 years ago today, Apollo 11 was launched and headed for the Moon (pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeki11a

Banned
Fëanor;121365673 said:
Greatest picture ever!

GV3cjqz.jpg

Why they didnt take a pic of what was behind them?

wedward

Does this help?
LRO Apollo landing sites.

Apollo 11
Ug7K7PQ.jpg

Apollo 15
VTBK4ba.jpg

Apollo 17
5F6tfz4.jpg

Now, do you still have doubts?

shopped

kidding. Grandpa worked for NASA on the apollo program. People would ask him if it was faked and he would have to restrain himself from ripping their head off.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

For some reason...I had no clue that they did all of this in 8 days. I always had this thought in my head that they were souring through space for like 2 weeks or something before they landed. It's even more impressive than I originally thought.

Manned Mars Mission in my lifetime please.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Humanity's crowning achievement.

It's still awe inspiring to think about.

slit

I can't believe there are people that think it was faked. They really think the Soviets wouldn't have cried foul in a millisecond? They had the capability to track the spacecraft. Their own attempts failed but somehow I guess they would just go along with it.

I was not alive to witness this but everyone involved has the utmost respect of the world.

It captured the hearts, minds, dreams and inspirations of everyone. I hope i get to experience such an event in my lifetime.

EDIT:

I have been watching the When We Left Earth series. Truly amazing.

Dai101

Banned
PmVHM7f.png

pFXxysi.jpg

The Saturn V is so majestic.

It is. One of the greatest achievments of mankind. Somethig that would never be replicated even with our modern technology.

kidding. Grandpa worked for NASA on the apollo program. People would ask him if it was faked and he would have to restrain himself from ripping their head off.
[/QUOTE]

Is your gramps Buzz Aldrin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wptn5RE2I-k

mHTdzKk.jpg

"Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the Moon July 1969, A.D. We came in peace for all mankind."

If this was done today the plaque would say "FUCK OFF, We got it first"

DarkFlow

Banned
eh its hard to tell Nazi's apart, but no, we didn't 'rescue' that particular nazi, just the SS scientist and engineers that lead our space program.

Funny you say this, but he literally did, with the V2 rocket and the scientists that developed it.
Oh I know that, I'm well versed in space history. It's one of my favorite subjects.

Vitten

Kinda sad to see the stagnation in space exploration in the past 45 years. Ok, NASA has done some great things with their unmanned probes but I think the people from those days would be disappointed to see how little has been achieved ever since.

If only we would get our priorities straight again instead of wasting all those trillions on wars.

East Lake

I'm still blown away regarding the quality of cameras that NASA had in 1969. That first Buzz pic and the picture of the Earth with the Sun are superb.
Hasselblad 500 series with Portra 400 will still give you a better image than most cameras today, including high end digital. They started making them in the late 50's.

Log4Girlz

How can anyone believe we went to the moon without a scrap of evidence apart from all those photos and movies and shit. Man people are dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom