• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love when people don't think I'm a "Gamer" (Jinfash wins w/post 214)

cRIPticon

1f6fd75361e4374bc3dd681ed417ef53.jpg

TnK

i was like you once, then I realized everything else was really lame.

But, what if I just want to play video games?

An old friend of mine (high school) was a bodybuilder/fit, VERY popular in school and he even did some modelling jobs...

...and he was a Scarab Lord in World of Warcraft, completed pretty much everything when it came to high-end raiding and he was in the best guild of the server.

You'd never guess that. Never.

As interesting as this is, how did he have the time to balance both bodybuilding and doing all those things in WoW? I never played an MMO, but I would assume that it is very time consuming.

In my case, this happened to me a good number of times when I used to play SF4 competitively.

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe
You mean these right? ;P

9ded0288e863fbe79d863f606cb05c21_XL.jpg

I "designed" those :p That's me in the left corner and my bro in the right, haha

Kind of funny, we only put this up as a way to test our Webshop system. Now they're selling like crazy, never thought people would actually buy these. :)

farisr

Not for gaming. Stuff like this has happened to me for sports though before in gym class.

Always picked last for gym class based off weight (Have been overweight for the majority of my life by a good margin). Was in the top 10% according to skill level in most of the sports. Nearly always made them regret it/frustrate the team that I wasn't on.

Aroll

To me, the ironic part is he thought you were some COD fanboy Dudebro while you guys were about to play Halo, another game that is bassically dressed in the exact same reputation.

Good times.

I normally don't get referred to as someone who doesn't game, but when I dress decently well (which I actually do more often than not), and I meet people who I don't know that are palying Madden, Skyrim, Zelda, etc - they just assume I am not a gamer because I am "dressed too nice". Funny thing is, I actually run a Zelda fans ite that is relatively popular, and I use to be one of the top ranked Madden players in Wisconsin. What do I know?

Good times. I hate how "being a gamer" has to come with some stereotype even among gamers for how one should present themselves.

The best part now is sports. Back in HS I was a 5 sport athlete year round. I played American Football, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, and Golf. I was always a good athlete, so I was halfway decent at any sport I picked up. I was never great with the bat, but I played good defense and had a good arm. Nothing too special, but I was simply "good" at everything, never great. Anyways, I am now 28, and I don't regularily play organized sports outside of an occasional volleyball team as a fill in.

I've put on a lot of weight since HS - I ballooned from 145 with a six pack at graduation to 210 today. Yet, I am still really athletic. A few weeks back I was at my cousins graduation party and he was shooting hoops with a buddy of his, who of course in classic HS form, had to have his shirt off on a cool day just to show off his tan and six pack. it's cool, I was a HS kid once too. Anyways, I asked if I could shoot around with them because by far, basketball was my favorite sport to play.

My cousin and his friend begin to polk some fun at me as I am warming up and missing a few shots and saying how I shouldn't really be playing at all. I say fine, how about a 2v2 game? Grabbed my other friend who came with who was pretty much just as out of shape as I am. 20 minutes later, we won 21 - 7. my cousin just stood in awe after. "holy crap, you are really good at basketball" - all I could say was "don't judge people before you see them do whatever you are judging them at". FYI - my cousin and his friend think they are really good at basketball because they were stars on their HS team and made all-state or whatever. I don't what happened, but if they are good enough for all state then folks must not be really good at BBall anymore. I am average at best now (hard for me tog et up and down the court like I use to do), but I can still shot, I still have a quick first step, can dribble, and make power through contact around the rim... despite being short.

It just boggled his mind. This reminds me how "gamers" judge others just because of how they look, or how other folks judge gamers because of how they look. it's so backwards.

Sami+

I remember when my cousin's friends in Syria assumed I was an American who had no idea what the hell I was doing when we all grouped up to play Counter Strike at the LAN Cafe.

Granted, they were right. They said "knives only" over and over in Arabic and I didn't have a damn clue what the word for "knives" was so I charged in with a machine gun like an asshole. I think I died anyway.

Freeman

Banned
I remember when my cousin made my friend's brother pretty much cry by pretending to be new at playing International Superstar Soccer and then proceeding to completely demolish him. Eventually I told him that he was being played like a fiddle.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I was poor growing up and always wore ugly glasses, so I didn't have the luxury to buy new clothes or anything nice for myself. I looked like a total slob who never got invited to parties, gaming or otherwise. It doesn't help that I had a speech impediment too, so you can only imagine how I awkward it was.

Once I got into highschool though I started working at the library. A perfect place for a bookworm with a lot of free time and so much to prove. I started reading about speaking skills, self-esteem, dance history, and even beauty magazines. But that wasn't enough since I still had no friends or anyone to invite to the quickly approaching prom.

As it got closer, and still no luck or a break in sight, one of my favorite uncles stopped at our place unexpectedly. Apparently he was in the midst of marital problems and his marriege was falling apart, so he asked if he could stay us for a while. My parents welcomed him without hesitation.

He was the only person I trusted or opened up to, and he could see when something is wrong with me from a mile away. So he asked. And I told him, not even realizing how my tears were running down, glistening under moonlight. Afterwards he gently smiled and told me "come tomorrow, everything will be alright."

The next morning he took me out shopping. I bought articles of clothing I've only seen in magazine pages. Stuff I wouldn't be able to afford for another decade or two. We finished our spree by stopping at a salon where I had one of those fancy $60 haircuts. Even the stylist was surprised by the time she was done "son, you haven't done yourself any favors all those years. Especially to your beautiful eyes!" My uncle chuckled and said "you correctly guessed our next stop!" Which I later realized was an optics store where we picked contacts. My very first!

And just when I thought my awesome day was over it got even better— After everyone in our home went to bed, my uncle insisted we work on the last piece of puzzle: my dance moves! We practiced for probably hours, but felt like minutes!

Next morning; the big day. I'll skip over the little details to the important part— my uncle dropping me at prom on his brand new Jaguar... Looks of awe everywhere. I went in, seemingly unrecognized. I stop at the front table and put in my name for registration. "WHAT?!" was the only intelligible thing I heard from students at the table, followed by garbled sounds. I walk into the hall to a crowded room of HS kids and awkward dancing. Now, I'm not religious, but I could swear the crowd parted like the red sea in sight of Moses.

I walked to center of the hall to gasps and "WHO DAT?", "NO WAY!", "FOR REAL?!" and "I REGRET EVERYTHING!" But that was only the beginning— as soon as the music resumed I broke my new dance moves... Styles that were contemporary, while others long forgotten save for history books. Everyone's jaw dropped. Girls started flocking. Thunderous cheers followed the silence that only slides of my $600 shoes interrupted.

Everyone wanted to dance with me. To be around me. To be ME! It should have felt like heaven, but I felt something was still sorely missing. I didn't feel as fulfilled as I thought I would. This big moment can only be perfect if it was spent with someone meaningful... Someone who cared all along. Who saw the diamond in the rough.

I look around looking for that someone, and there he was: my dear uncle leaning next to the entrance with the biggest smile drawn on his face. I wave to him; he waves back. I invite him in; he approaches. We hugged. And almost unconsciously started dancing together. He stops me for a second... Looks into my eyes, and with all the passions he could muster, locks my lips like I've never felt before. The world went silent for a few second... Only to be broken by my uncle's gutteral "EUGH!" as he received a swift baton strike to neck by school security, who dragged him out to the arriving police units.

It turns out he wasn't actually on a break from his marriage, but in fact trying to evade multiple molestation charges.

I was poor growing up and wore glasses, so I didn't have the luxury to but new clothes or anything nice for myself. I looked like a total slob who never got invited to parties, gaming or otherwise. It doesn't help that I had a speech impediment so you can only imagine how I awkward it can get.

snip

It turns out he wasn't actually on a break from his marriage, but in fact trying to evade multiple molestation charges.

He's All That... with a twist!

E92 M3

I was poor growing up and wore glasses, so I didn't have the luxury to but new clothes or anything nice for myself. I looked like a total slob who never got invited to parties, gaming or otherwise. It doesn't help that I had a speech impediment so you can only imagine how I awkward it can get.

Once I got into highschool I started working at the library. A perfect place for a bookworm with a lot of free time and so much to prove. I started reading about speaking skills, self-esteem, dance history and even beauty magazines. But that wasn't enough since I still had no friends or anyone to invite to prom.

As the prom date approached, with still no luck or a break in sight, one of my favorite uncles stopped at our place unexpectedly. Apparently he was in the midst of marital problems and his marriege was falling apart, so he asked if he could stay us for a while.

He was the only person I trusted or opened up to, and he could see when something is wrong with me from a mile away. So he asked. And I told him, not even realizing how my tears were running down, glistening under moonlight. Afterwards he gently smiled and told me "come tomorrow, everything will be alright."

The next morning he too me out shopping. I bought articles of clothing I've only seen in magazine photos. Stuff I wouldn't be able to afford for another decade or two. We finished our spree by stopping at a salon where I had one of those fancy $60 haircuts. Even the stylist was surprised by the time she was done "son, you haven't done yourself any favors. Especially to your beautiful eyes!" My uncle chuckled and said "you correctly guessed our next stop!" Which I later realized was an optics store where we picked contacts.

Just when I thoughts the day wasn even over, and after everyone in our home went to bed, my uncle insisted we work on the last piece of puzzle: my dance moves.

Next morning; the big day. I'll skip over the little details to the important part— my uncle dropping me at prom on his brand new Jaguar... Looks of awe everywhere. I went in, seemingly unrecognized. I stop at the front table and put in my name for registration. "WHAT?!" was the only intelligible thing I heard from students at the table followed by garbled sounds. I walk into the hall to a crowded room of HS kids and awkward dancing. Now, I'm not religious, but I could swear the crowded parted like the red sea in sight of Moses.

I walked to center of the hall to gasps and "WHO DAT?", "NO WAY!", "FOR REAL?!" and "I REGRET EVERYTHING!" But that was only the beginning— as soon as the music resumed I broke my dance moves. Styles that were contemporary while others long forgotten save for history books. Everyone's jaw dropped. Girls started flocking. Thunderous cheers following the silence that was only interrupting by slides of my $600 shoes.

Everyone wanted to dance with me. To be around me. To be ME! It should have felt like heaven, but I felt something was still sorely missing. I didn't feel as fulfilled I thought I would. This big moment can only be perfect if it was spent with someone meaningful... Someone who cared all along and saw the diamond in the rough.

I look around me looking for that someone, and there he was, my dear uncle leaning next to the entrance with the biggest smile drawn on his face. I wave to him; he waves back. I invite him in; he approaches. We hugged. And almost unconsciously started dancing together. He stops me for a second... Looks into my eyes, and with all he could muster, locks my lips like I've felt before. The world turned silent for a few second... Only to be broken but my uncle's gutteral "EUGH!" as he received a swift baton strike to neck by school security who dragged him out to the arriving police units.

SpiffySmoothGilamonster.gif

Banned

Once I got into highschool I started working at the library. A perfect place for a bookworm with a lot of free time and so much to prove. I started reading about speaking skills, self-esteem, dance history and even beauty magazines. But that wasn't enough since I still had no friends or anyone to invite to prom.

As the prom date approached, with still no luck or a break in sight, one of my favorite uncles stopped at our place unexpectedly. Apparently he was in the midst of marital problems and his marriege was falling apart, so he asked if he could stay us for a while.

The next morning he too me out shopping. I bought articles of clothing I've only seen in magazine photos. Stuff I wouldn't be able to afford for another decade or two. We finished our spree by stopping at a salon where I had one of those fancy $60 haircuts. Even the stylist was surprised by the time she was done "son, you haven't done yourself any favors. Especially to your beautiful eyes!" My uncle chuckled and said "you correctly guessed our next stop!" Which I later realized was an optics store where we picked contacts.

Just when I thoughts the day wasn even over, and after everyone in our home went to bed, my uncle insisted we work on the last piece of puzzle: my dance moves.

Next morning; the big day. I'll skip over the little details to the important part— my uncle dropping me at prom on his brand new Jaguar... Looks of awe everywhere. I went in, seemingly unrecognized. I stop at the front table and put in my name for registration. "WHAT?!" was the only intelligible thing I heard from students at the table followed by garbled sounds. I walk into the hall to a crowded room of HS kids and awkward dancing. Now, I'm not religious, but I could swear the crowded parted like the red sea in sight of Moses.

I walked to center of the hall to gasps and "WHO DAT?", "NO WAY!", "FOR REAL?!" and "I REGRET EVERYTHING!" But that was only the beginning— as soon as the music resumed I broke my dance moves. Styles that were contemporary while others long forgotten save for history books. Everyone's jaw dropped. Girls started flocking. Thunderous cheers following the silence that was only interrupting by slides of my $600 shoes.

Everyone wanted to dance with me. To be around me. To be ME! It should have felt like heaven, but I felt something was still sorely missing. I didn't feel as fulfilled I thought I would. This big moment can only be perfect if it was spent with someone meaningful... Someone who cared all along and saw the diamond in the rough.

I look around me looking for that someone, and there he was, my dear uncle leaning next to the entrance with the biggest smile drawn on his face. I wave to him; he waves back. I invite him in; he approaches. We hugged. And almost unconsciously started dancing together. He stops me for a second... Looks into my eyes, and with all he could muster, locks my lips like I've felt before. The world turned silent for a few second... Only to be broken but my uncle's gutteral "EUGH!" as he received a swift baton strike to neck by school security who dragged him out to the arriving police units.

brian-puke-o.gif

My friend who is in game development at my school invited me to a Halo party. I'm in Recording Engineer, so I didn't know anyone at the party. They were picking teams for a 5v5 match; I was picked last (H.S gym all over again lol). Whatever they don't know me, but the guy was like " I guess I have this guy". Rolling his eyes, then he says, " This game is nothing like COD". I didn't even say shit about COD; he just assumed that's only game I know. Then I started fucking with him asking questions like how you prone and can you run up walls. Now I don't think I'm good at Halo 3 maybe above the average player. The game was to 25 and I destroyed everyone, I was on personal mission to rip everyone a new asshole. I went 17-0 the look on the guys face was priceless. This stuff happens all the time; people just assume I don't know anything about games.

Does this happen to anyone else on Gaf. People just act smug like they are some "Hardcore" gamer. You’re some "Dudebro" who knows nothing.
Anything about you in particular that would make someone assume so much about you, OP? Young? Female?

rrc1594

Lmao What!

DNAbro

tumblr_mpz3chpRqT1sytgpro1_400.gif

BossLackey

Gold Member
That's a good feeling, though I haven't had that particular issue.

But one time when I was in college we had a Halo lan tournament. It was nice when people kept coming over to where we were and asking who (my username) was. I get competitive.

#dead

shandy706

image.php

Not sure if posted yet, but they're actually available here (Finland).

Bookmarked....I'm buying these.

munchie64

This is some 4chan green text shit right here.

TrueGrime

This is goddamn amazing.

My friend who is in game development at my school invited me to a Halo party. I'm in Recording Engineer, so I didn't know anyone at the party. They were picking teams for a 5v5 match; I was picked last (H.S gym all over again lol). Whatever they don't know me, but the guy was like " I guess I have this guy". Rolling his eyes, then he says, " This game is nothing like COD". I didn't even say shit about COD; he just assumed that's only game I know. Then I started fucking with him asking questions like how you prone and can you run up walls. Now I don't think I'm good at Halo 3 maybe above the average player. The game was to 25 and I destroyed everyone, I was on personal mission to rip everyone a new asshole. I went 17-0 the look on the guys face was priceless. This stuff happens all the time; people just assume I don't know anything about games.

Does this happen to anyone else on Gaf. People just act smug like they are some "Hardcore" gamer. You’re some "Dudebro" who knows nothing.

Every now and then, especially if I'm in a predominantly nerdy environment, and I decide to play Street Fighter against people who heavily study youtube videos and tournament matches just to shit on them.

Guilty pleasures.

I was poor growing up and always wore ugly glasses, so I didn't have the luxury to buy new clothes or anything nice for myself. I looked like a total slob who never got invited to parties, gaming or otherwise. It doesn't help that I had a speech impediment too, so you can only imagine how I awkward it was.

Once I got into highschool though I started working at the library. A perfect place for a bookworm with a lot of free time and so much to prove. I started reading about speaking skills, self-esteem, dance history, and even beauty magazines. But that wasn't enough since I still had no friends or anyone to invite to the quickly approaching prom.

As it got closer, and still no luck or a break in sight, one of my favorite uncles stopped at our place unexpectedly. Apparently he was in the midst of marital problems and his marriege was falling apart, so he asked if he could stay us for a while. My parents welcomed him without hesitation.

The next morning he took me out shopping. I bought articles of clothing I've only seen in magazine pages. Stuff I wouldn't be able to afford for another decade or two. We finished our spree by stopping at a salon where I had one of those fancy $60 haircuts. Even the stylist was surprised by the time she was done "son, you haven't done yourself any favors all those years. Especially to your beautiful eyes!" My uncle chuckled and said "you correctly guessed our next stop!" Which I later realized was an optics store where we picked contacts. My very first!

And just when I thought my awesome day was over it got even better— After everyone in our home went to bed, my uncle insisted we work on the last piece of puzzle: my dance moves! We practiced for probably hours, but felt like minutes!

Next morning; the big day. I'll skip over the little details to the important part— my uncle dropping me at prom on his brand new Jaguar... Looks of awe everywhere. I went in, seemingly unrecognized. I stop at the front table and put in my name for registration. "WHAT?!" was the only intelligible thing I heard from students at the table, followed by garbled sounds. I walk into the hall to a crowded room of HS kids and awkward dancing. Now, I'm not religious, but I could swear the crowd parted like the red sea in sight of Moses.

I walked to center of the hall to gasps and "WHO DAT?", "NO WAY!", "FOR REAL?!" and "I REGRET EVERYTHING!" But that was only the beginning— as soon as the music resumed I broke my new dance moves... Styles that were contemporary, while others long forgotten save for history books. Everyone's jaw dropped. Girls started flocking. Thunderous cheers followed the silence that only slides of my $600 shoes interrupted.

Everyone wanted to dance with me. To be around me. To be ME! It should have felt like heaven, but I felt something was still sorely missing. I didn't feel as fulfilled as I thought I would. This big moment can only be perfect if it was spent with someone meaningful... Someone who cared all along. Who saw the diamond in the rough.

I look around looking for that someone, and there he was: my dear uncle leaning next to the entrance with the biggest smile drawn on his face. I wave to him; he waves back. I invite him in; he approaches. We hugged. And almost unconsciously started dancing together. He stops me for a second... Looks into my eyes, and with all the passions he could muster, locks my lips like I've never felt before. The world went silent for a few second... Only to be broken by my uncle's gutteral "EUGH!" as he received a swift baton strike to neck by school security, who dragged him out to the arriving police units.

<3

Aim_Ed

So happy I opened this thread.

Mexen

This happens a lot to me, actually. About everything really. I guess I have the kind of face that will one day make someone question and tutor me at being human, "alright, to breathe out, just..."

tumblr_mopesks2sx1rvs9wso1_500.gif

Did this actually happen? This sounds like some weird nerd fantasy.

Um, I've obliterared unsuspecting guys trash talking me several times in my life. Typically guys a decade younger than me that lack a lot of perspective and believe themselves to be ubergamers because they've been gaming for five years. I suspect with the advent of online gaming people are less delusional about their skills relative to the world at large, though.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Honest question Why would anyone want to define themselves as a gamer? I've been gaming since atari and even as teenager I did not define myself as a gamer. I like sleeping should I call myself a sleeper? No it's absurd.

Seanspeed

Banned
Honest question Why would anyone want to define themselves as a gamer? I've been gaming since atari and even as teenager I did not define myself as a gamer. I like sleeping should I call myself a sleeper? No it's absurd.
If you're a gaming enthusiast(which I'm guessing you are since you're on NeoGAF posting on the gaming forums), then being a 'gamer' is certainly part of who you are.

lt519

Reverse happens with me. Everyone knows I'm an avid gamer/geek because I still enjoy and like to talk about it. What I don't talk about, because it's lame, is I was also a three sport captain in school and it shocks the shit out of people when I join their recreation sports leagues. And for the record I dress/look like I'm homeless when I'm outside of work.

Beatrix

In my fraternity house one of my buddies brought up a Gamecube and N64 with smash bros 64 and melee. He assumed he was the best, claiming how he could beat anyone....then he faced me and lets just say he didn't take a stock off of me. Everyone was surprised and the looks were like great haha

fedexpeon

Banned

Once I got into highschool though I started working at the library. A perfect place for a bookworm with a lot of free time and so much to prove......

1354786533589.jpg

LOL...Dammit man, I was about to post something nice, and HAD TO READ the locking lips part twice.
I thought you might have wrote that part wrong, and meant biting his lips to hold back tears.

All I can say is WOW!!!

I love it when people look at me in shock when they find out I'm a gamer. I'm a very athletic 6'3" 215 lbs and the last thing people expect me to be is a gamer. Especially when people visit my house. The whole stereotype about what gamers are and should look like is hilarious to me because they come from all walks of life and lifestyles as well. You just never know who is a gamer these days.

Top Bottom