• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love when people don't think I'm a "Gamer" (Jinfash wins w/post 214)

MQX

I was poor growing up and always wore ugly glasses, so I didn't have the luxury to buy new clothes or anything nice for myself. I looked like a total slob who never got invited to parties, gaming or otherwise. It doesn't help that I had a speech impediment too, so you can only imagine how I awkward it was.

Once I got into highschool though I started working at the library. A perfect place for a bookworm with a lot of free time and so much to prove. I started reading about speaking skills, self-esteem, dance history, and even beauty magazines. But that wasn't enough since I still had no friends or anyone to invite to the quickly approaching prom.

As it got closer, and still no luck or a break in sight, one of my favorite uncles stopped at our place unexpectedly. Apparently he was in the midst of marital problems and his marriege was falling apart, so he asked if he could stay us for a while. My parents welcomed him without hesitation.

He was the only person I trusted or opened up to, and he could see when something is wrong with me from a mile away. So he asked. And I told him, not even realizing how my tears were running down, glistening under moonlight. Afterwards he gently smiled and told me "come tomorrow, everything will be alright."

The next morning he took me out shopping. I bought articles of clothing I've only seen in magazine pages. Stuff I wouldn't be able to afford for another decade or two. We finished our spree by stopping at a salon where I had one of those fancy $60 haircuts. Even the stylist was surprised by the time she was done "son, you haven't done yourself any favors all those years. Especially to your beautiful eyes!" My uncle chuckled and said "you correctly guessed our next stop!" Which I later realized was an optics store where we picked contacts. My very first!

And just when I thought my awesome day was over it got even better— After everyone in our home went to bed, my uncle insisted we work on the last piece of puzzle: my dance moves! We practiced for probably hours, but felt like minutes!

Next morning; the big day. I'll skip over the little details to the important part— my uncle dropping me at prom on his brand new Jaguar... Looks of awe everywhere. I went in, seemingly unrecognized. I stop at the front table and put in my name for registration. "WHAT?!" was the only intelligible thing I heard from students at the table, followed by garbled sounds. I walk into the hall to a crowded room of HS kids and awkward dancing. Now, I'm not religious, but I could swear the crowd parted like the red sea in sight of Moses.

I walked to center of the hall to gasps and "WHO DAT?", "NO WAY!", "FOR REAL?!" and "I REGRET EVERYTHING!" But that was only the beginning— as soon as the music resumed I broke my new dance moves... Styles that were contemporary, while others long forgotten save for history books. Everyone's jaw dropped. Girls started flocking. Thunderous cheers followed the silence that only slides of my $600 shoes interrupted.

Everyone wanted to dance with me. To be around me. To be ME! It should have felt like heaven, but I felt something was still sorely missing. I didn't feel as fulfilled as I thought I would. This big moment can only be perfect if it was spent with someone meaningful... Someone who cared all along. Who saw the diamond in the rough.

I look around looking for that someone, and there he was: my dear uncle leaning next to the entrance with the biggest smile drawn on his face. I wave to him; he waves back. I invite him in; he approaches. We hugged. And almost unconsciously started dancing together. He stops me for a second... Looks into my eyes, and with all the passions he could muster, locks my lips like I've never felt before. The world went silent for a few second... Only to be broken by my uncle's gutteral "EUGH!" as he received a swift baton strike to neck by school security, who dragged him out to the arriving police units.

It turns out he wasn't actually on a break from his marriage, but in fact trying to evade multiple molestation charges.
2006791_o.gif

Congratulations
, you won

But this has nothing to do with the term "Gamer" ಠ_ಠ

I was poor growing up and always wore ugly glasses, so I didn't have the luxury to buy new clothes or anything nice for myself. I looked like a total slob who never got invited to parties, gaming or otherwise. It doesn't help that I had a speech impediment too, so you can only imagine how I awkward it was.

Once I got into highschool though I started working at the library. A perfect place for a bookworm with a lot of free time and so much to prove. I started reading about speaking skills, self-esteem, dance history, and even beauty magazines. But that wasn't enough since I still had no friends or anyone to invite to the quickly approaching prom.

As it got closer, and still no luck or a break in sight, one of my favorite uncles stopped at our place unexpectedly. Apparently he was in the midst of marital problems and his marriege was falling apart, so he asked if he could stay us for a while. My parents welcomed him without hesitation.

He was the only person I trusted or opened up to, and he could see when something is wrong with me from a mile away. So he asked. And I told him, not even realizing how my tears were running down, glistening under moonlight. Afterwards he gently smiled and told me "come tomorrow, everything will be alright."

The next morning he took me out shopping. I bought articles of clothing I've only seen in magazine pages. Stuff I wouldn't be able to afford for another decade or two. We finished our spree by stopping at a salon where I had one of those fancy $60 haircuts. Even the stylist was surprised by the time she was done "son, you haven't done yourself any favors all those years. Especially to your beautiful eyes!" My uncle chuckled and said "you correctly guessed our next stop!" Which I later realized was an optics store where we picked contacts. My very first!

And just when I thought my awesome day was over it got even better— After everyone in our home went to bed, my uncle insisted we work on the last piece of puzzle: my dance moves! We practiced for probably hours, but felt like minutes!

Next morning; the big day. I'll skip over the little details to the important part— my uncle dropping me at prom on his brand new Jaguar... Looks of awe everywhere. I went in, seemingly unrecognized. I stop at the front table and put in my name for registration. "WHAT?!" was the only intelligible thing I heard from students at the table, followed by garbled sounds. I walk into the hall to a crowded room of HS kids and awkward dancing. Now, I'm not religious, but I could swear the crowd parted like the red sea in sight of Moses.

I walked to center of the hall to gasps and "WHO DAT?", "NO WAY!", "FOR REAL?!" and "I REGRET EVERYTHING!" But that was only the beginning— as soon as the music resumed I broke my new dance moves... Styles that were contemporary, while others long forgotten save for history books. Everyone's jaw dropped. Girls started flocking. Thunderous cheers followed the silence that only slides of my $600 shoes interrupted.

Everyone wanted to dance with me. To be around me. To be ME! It should have felt like heaven, but I felt something was still sorely missing. I didn't feel as fulfilled as I thought I would. This big moment can only be perfect if it was spent with someone meaningful... Someone who cared all along. Who saw the diamond in the rough.

I look around looking for that someone, and there he was: my dear uncle leaning next to the entrance with the biggest smile drawn on his face. I wave to him; he waves back. I invite him in; he approaches. We hugged. And almost unconsciously started dancing together. He stops me for a second... Looks into my eyes, and with all the passions he could muster, locks my lips like I've never felt before. The world went silent for a few second... Only to be broken by my uncle's gutteral "EUGH!" as he received a swift baton strike to neck by school security, who dragged him out to the arriving police units.

It turns out he wasn't actually on a break from his marriage, but in fact trying to evade multiple molestation charges.

29RcJT1.gif

FaintDeftone

This story went from a John Hughes movie to a John Waters movie.

NeO JD

Neo Member
The Jinfash post sounded like a movie but that ending....I had to reread it a couple of times. Need more details ASAP.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

420bits

I've kinda had it in reverse, bigtime! :D

First of all, I live in Sweden and this took place in a little shithole of a town In 97-98 when N64 launched. You may thing all swedes are fluent in English but we are not and most certainly not old people who still live there.
Internet at this time is not in every home and we are talking about almost 20 years ago.

At the time I worked in a videostore and we had these 2 elderly ladies (we are talking 70+) who came in from time to time to rent movies quite often. They went with all kinds of movies so not your regular oldfarts., I got them to watch 'True Romance' and they thought it was a bit to "messy" as they would say, but they thought it was sweet. Not sure if they were sisters / twins or just best buds because they were always together but didn't really look that much alike.

In 98, a few weeks before Xmas, Zelda OOT came out and most places were sold out and they came to the store and asked if we had any copies left.

Me: Sure, here you go, want me to giftwrap it?
Them: No need for that, it's for us to play
*mind blown* they were as old as my grandma and at the time I'm not even sure she had a color-tv (no joke) and yet we have 2 dinosaurs here asking for Zelda for their N64.
I just packed the game in a bag, handed it to them with a huge grin on my face "enjoy it ladies!"

A few weeks later when I was about to go on my evening-shift at the store, the boss told me they had come to the store and asked for help in the game. He had told them that he didnt know shit but that I had finished it and at what time I started working.
5min later, they walked in through the door and went straight for the counter.

- Hey! Sooo, your boss told us that you finished Zelda... and then they went on about how far they got in the game, "we got that piece of armor" and "we found this and that item", asking about things they didn't know how to do or find, it was probably around a 45min talk about Zelda OOT. Others in the store were looking like "wtf is he talking about with them, they can't be interested in that shit?" and I just kept answering and explaining things to them, they were in no way scrubs and when I was answering their questions they knew what I was talking about.

I can't remember exactly where they were stuck but I won't forget that moment, they came back a few days later and thanked me for the tips, they had progressed in their adventure and from that point forward they bought all the games from "our" store and I had regular chats with them, talking about games on the horizon and what games to get / rent.

TLDR: 2 ladies, age 70+ bought Zelda OOT when it was released in 98 to play for themselves.

espher

I didn't quite have this but I did have a sort of tangential case.

If I remember the background, there was this dude that my friend and I played UT99 with, and I guess he was being a bit of a creeper towards my friend's sister. For whatever reason, maybe to try and get some embarrassing chat logs or something 'for the lulz' (it was a long time ago and we were pretty juvenile) I decided to pretend to be my (non-existent) sister in UT99 (no, this story isn't going anywhere lewd -- we stopped the con before it got there). So I started to play from time to time on fairly competitive servers under a different alias pretending to be a fairly new player but a very quick learner. People would talk shit and be surprised when they started to get their asses handed to them after a couple of rounds/days of the player 'learning'. Some admins thought it was me aliasing because the IPs matched, but my friend would tell people that the player was my sister who had recently gotten interested in the game after a LAN party or w/e.

Of course, not everyone knew that the con was going on, and I told a lot of people it was just my 'sibling'. My 'sibling' got invites to clans/pickup games that I never got, and I had people message me asking if I could ask my sibling to join their ladder teams etc. (since I didn't make another account for "her"). It was kind of hilarious because I was pretty much playing the exact same way, but I think people didn't 'know' it was me so they weren't playing against me the same way. It was kind of interesting to me how the skill/talent assessment differed so dramatically even though I was the same actual player.

Edit: Just skimmed that Jinfash post. Welp.

TnK

I've kinda had it in reverse, bigtime! :D

First of all, I live in Sweden and this took place in a little shithole of a town In 97-98 when N64 launched. You may thing all swedes are fluent in English but we are not and most certainly not old people who still live there.
Internet at this time is not in every home and we are talking about almost 20 years ago.

At the time I worked in a videostore and we had these 2 elderly ladies (we are talking 70+) who came in from time to time to rent movies quite often. They went with all kinds of movies so not your regular oldfarts., I got them to watch 'True Romance' and they thought it was a bit to "messy" as they would say, but they thought it was sweet. Not sure if they were sisters / twins or just best buds because they were always together but didn't really look that much alike.

In 98, a few weeks before Xmas, Zelda OOT came out and most places were sold out and they came to the store and asked if we had any copies left.

Me: Sure, here you go, want me to giftwrap it?
Them: No need for that, it's for us to play
*mind blown* they were as old as my grandma and at the time I'm not even sure she had a color-tv (no joke) and yet we have 2 dinosaurs here asking for Zelda for their N64.
I just packed the game in a bag, handed it to them with a huge grin on my face "enjoy it ladies!"

A few weeks later when I was about to go on my evening-shift at the store, the boss told me they had come to the store and asked for help in the game. He had told them that he didnt know shit but that I had finished it and at what time I started working.
5min later, they walked in through the door and went straight for the counter.

- Hey! Sooo, your boss told us that you finished Zelda... and then they went on about how far they got in the game, "we got that piece of armor" and "we found this and that item", asking about things they didn't know how to do or find, it was probably around a 45min talk about Zelda OOT. Others in the store were looking like "wtf is he talking about with them, they can't be interested in that shit?" and I just kept answering and explaining things to them, they were in no way scrubs and when I was answering their questions they knew what I was talking about.

I can't remember exactly where they were stuck but I won't forget that moment, they came back a few days later and thanked me for the tips, they had progressed in their adventure and from that point forward they bought all the games from "our" store and I had regular chats with them, talking about games on the horizon and what games to get / rent.

TLDR: 2 ladies, age 70+ bought Zelda OOT when it was released in 98 to play for themselves.
This is a really nice story, thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom