• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Daquan is a White Girl and black twitter is dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://medium.com/race-class/daquan-is-a-white-girl-9ba9de9fba95

Some of the success of Daquan as a meme can probably be attributed to black people laughing at a white America that is deathly afraid of them. Like I said, this might seem cruel, but it’s a coping mechanism.

The interesting thing though, is that there seems to be a big gap in the pictures that people respond to. The biggest gap in popularity seems to be between jokes that make fun of black males, and those that make fun of white males.

Maybe that’s why Daquan has been so successful. Because really, as funny as we black people are, and as well as we understand our Caucasian brothers and sisters, there will come a point at which they will decide that they’d rather call the shots themselves.

People creating their own, customized ‘black’ entertainment will once again be the norm.

I’m not really sure what this means for black people. I also don’t have any real suggestions, aside from maybe that we should consider abandoning rap music like we did jazz.

Let them have it, along with everything else. Black Twitter included. We lost this battle. Retreat, make something new, and try again.

Found this article on Facebook today. It's a, I thought, extremely interesting look at white people appropriating black (racial, not gallows) comedy. I thought NeoGAF would be interested and maybe have something insightful to add, especially after the Kermit thread got so many posts, including those by white people who didn't know what was going on and white people like me who thought it was hilarious.

foxtrot3d

Banned
That was a good read, I never heard about this "Daqaun" meme until now but yeah it's dumb from what I saw. I was more surprised in the article about the fact that a lot of white people don't get the Richard Pryor President skit.

As usual Paul Monney hits the spot:
"When I imitate middle-class white speech, I see a flicker of unease cross the faces of the white people in the audience. Then, when I go into ghetto riff, the smiles return. They’re fine as long as I am making fun of the same kind of people they make fun of — chinks, spics and niggers. But as soon as I start talking about them, I can clear a room!"

Daquan meme was pretty good

tumblr_n8d2oz4cb01qmih10o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n8d2oz4cb01qmih10o2_500.jpg

tumblr_n8d2oz4cb01qmih10o3_500.jpg

tumblr_n8d2oz4cb01qmih10o4_500.jpg

tumblr_n8d2oz4cb01qmih10o5_500.jpg

tumblr_n8d2oz4cb01qmih10o6_500.jpg

tumblr_n8d2oz4cb01qmih10o7_500.jpg

Now I'm not sure I see it as lighthearted satire knowing who was behind it tho.

That was a good read, I never heard about this "Daqaun" meme until now but yeah it's dumb from what I saw. I was more surprised in the article about the fact that a lot of white people don't get the Richard Pryor President skit.

As usual Paul Monney hits the spot:
"When I imitate middle-class white speech, I see a flicker of unease cross the faces of the white people in the audience. Then, when I go into ghetto riff, the smiles return. They’re fine as long as I am making fun of the same kind of people they make fun of — chinks, spics and niggers. But as soon as I start talking about them, I can clear a room!"

Paul Mooney explaining the double standards of the world.

I've never heard of this meme either and it sounds particularly racial and condescending.

rtcn63

This is one of those things, where in even if it was intended as satire, could easily/willy likely be taken at face value by many non-blacks, helping confirm their off-base negative perceptions. Didn't something like this happen with Chapelle's Show?

Slayven

This is one of those things, where in even if it was intended as satire, could easily/willy likely be taken at face value by many non-blacks, helping confirm their off-base negative perceptions. Didn't something like this happen with Chapelle's Show?

Those that take these as confirmation of their racism were racist to begin with. Most will go "I don't get it" and move on.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
This is one of those things, where in even if it was intended as satire, will likely be taken at face value by many non-blacks, helping confirm their negative perceptions. Didn't something like this happen with Chapelle's Show or something?
If memory serves he was doing a skit meaning to satirize racial humor and it suddenly dawned on him that white people weren't appreciating it as poking fun at racial humor intending to shed light on it but rather just laughing at him.

Effectively laughing at him, not with him

If memory serves he was doing a skit meaning to satirize racial humor and it suddenly dawned on him that white people weren't appreciating it as poking fun at racial humor intending to shed light on it but rather just laughing at him.

Effectively laughing at him, not with him

Paul Mooney has deserved a hell of a much better career than he's gotten.

Thorakai

A big point of the article is that the humor changes based on your cultural experiences, but many are just saying the meme isn't funny without really explaining how they interpret the joke.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
It's always difficult, as a white dude, with this kind of stuff. I'm of the mind that we can't ever really totally know ourselves. There's so many layers, so many influences, so much of us is subconscious.

I find this kind of meme funny. I found Kermit funny. I find Chappelle funny. I find lots of black comedians funny. I don't consider myself racist. As a white man in America today have I indirectly profited from institutional racism? Almost certainly.

Is it right for me to laugh at this shit or Kermit, or Dave or Richard Pryor or classic Chris Rock? Am I capable of truly laughing at them for the "right" reasons? I think so, but on another level I wonder if I'm able to objectively make that call.

It's a complicated issue, to be sure.

I'm so fucking tired of this shit being labeled as black culture which whites are "stealing." Why is it that we only seem to realize something is ugly or not particularly kosher when whites start doing it? Daquan memes were pure when blacks were stereotyping themselves? Now it's not funny when white people stereotype? Let's not pretend, as the article does, that this meme suddenly focused on black males after whites "stole" it. Fuckouttahere.

Spend an hour on black twitter and you'll see black people denigrating black women nonstop, making light of poverty or government dependence, laughing at "broke niggas" and all sorts of other shit. I'm not going to sit here and say we should never make fun of ourselves or play with stereotypes, but that's all black twitter is...unless Scandal is on. Or some reality show about black women acting angry or "bitchy."

foxtrot3d

Banned
I'm so fucking tired of this shit being labeled as black culture which whites are "stealing." Why is it that we only seem to realize something is ugly or not particularly kosher when whites start doing it? Daquan memes were pure when blacks were stereotyping themselves? Now it's not funny when white people stereotype? Let's not pretend, as the article does, that this meme suddenly focused on black males after whites "stole" it. Fuckouttahere.

Spend an hour on black twitter and you'll see black people denigrating black women nonstop, making light of poverty or government dependence, laughing at "broke niggas" and all sorts of other shit. I'm not going to sit here and say we should never make fun of ourselves or play with stereotypes, but that's all black twitter is...unless Scandal is on. Or some reality show about black women acting angry or "bitchy."

Ok, this may sound like a stupid question, but what is black twitter? Is that like legitametly a seperate twitter like site black people use or is it referring to tweets by black people towars other black people?

Ok, this may sound like a stupid question, but what is black twitter? Is that like legitametly a seperate twitter like site black people use or is it referring to tweets by black people towars other black people?

When your twitter feed is all black culture, you are in black twitter.

Mesousa

Banned

To be fair its just a bunch of kids. Of course its going to be immature.

Mononoke

Banned
Why does so much of this joke revolve around sexuality? I realize I sound like an old conservative, that's not my intention. I just wonder why these jokes have to aways come back to women, and men feeling superior or inferior with regards to having sex with them or others having sex with them.

Is it because white people still have a bizarre fear of females choosing to have sex outside their race or something?

RP912

Banned
Worst meme I have ever seen and I approve of the damn Kermit ones. It gives off "making a point" vibes which comes off extremely unfunny and endorse stereotypes.

Bottom line its trying too hard.

PBY

Banned
Why does it have to be about sexuality with this joke? I realize I sound like an old conservative, that's not my intention. I just wonder why these jokes have to aways come back to women and men feeling superior or inferior with regards to having sex with them or others having sex with them.

Is it because white people still have a bizarre fear of females choosing to have sex outside their race or something?
It's satirizing rap/certain specific cultural aspects.

I dunno where I fall on this. I'm usually leading the charge on race issues. But I just kinda think this meme is funny.

Mononoke

Banned
It's satirizing rap/certain specific cultural aspects.

I dunno where I fall on this. I'm usually leading the charge on race issues. But I just kinda think this meme is funny.

I guess I'm ignorant. Actually I admit I am. Wasn't sure what the jokes were satirizing.

JCX

Why does so much of this joke revolve around sexuality? I realize I sound like an old conservative, that's not my intention. I just wonder why these jokes have to aways come back to women, and men feeling superior or inferior with regards to having sex with them or others having sex with them.

Some may argue that American anti-black racism is rooted in sex. Black men were both hanged and castrated, killed or beaten for looking at white women, slave families were torn apart without regard to marriage. So when joking about these horrible past events, people return to the sex.

The majority of people using twitter are immature kids/tweens/teens/young adults.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it yet. Lots of stupid shit is plastered all over social media.

Agreed, tho it's not upsetting at the least to me. I mean, all stereotypes, negative or positive, have some basis in reality even if that's skewed to the outermost extremes of it. I thought the meme was poking fun at hiphop and parts of hood culture from what I read, and if you're aware of those things beyond passing knowledge, you know this sort of stuff happens.

People need to stop worrying so much about how other folks view them, and over-complicating things. Just live life. Trust that most people won't judge you based on a poor example of a fool who vaguely looks like you, and don't act like a fool (all the time). I think over-sensitivity and depreciating self-esteem are also at play here.

And on another point; if stuff these kind of memes joke about is 'culture' we've fallen a far way down from the greatness of jazz.

EDIT: Well I read some of the other posts....then read the meme again....then read some of the other posts again....I can see where there could be an issue. Has anyone contacted the creator and asked of their intentions? I mean, I know they're white, but that doesn't automatically make their reasons suspect. It's just barely chuckle-inducing, and I'm sure people want to know why they did this.

Other opinions and action could be formed from there.

Mononoke

Banned
Some may argue that American anti-black racism is rooted in sex. Black men were both hanged and castrated, killed or beaten for looking at white women, slave families were torn apart without regard to marriage. So when joking about these horrible past events, people return to the sex.

Interesting points. And yeah racists having inferiority complex was very much a thing. I guess at least to me though, the jokes are kind of lame as most of it returns to male inferiority or superiority via sex (when the reality is, women choose to have sex with whoever they want and a males inferiority/superiority shouldn't be tied to that).

I probably read too much into it. Clearly I was ignorant of what the jokes were satirizing. So as someone that isn't familiar with these, I was just looking at this from a surface level.

Infinite

Agreed, tho it's not upsetting at the least to me. I mean, all stereotypes, negative or positive, have some basis in reality even if that's skewed to the outermost extremes of it. I thought the meme was poking fun at hiphop and parts of hood culture from what I read, and if you're aware of those things beyond passing knowledge, you know this sort of stuff happens.

People need to stop worrying so much about how other folks view them, and over-complicating things. Just live life. Trust that most people won't judge you based on a poor example of a fool who vaguely looks like you, and don't act like a fool (all the time). I think over-sensitivity and depreciating self-esteem are also at play here.

And on another point; if stuff these kind of memes joke about is 'culture' we've fallen a far way down from the greatness of jazz.

I don't have that luxury to not think about what people think about me and others like me as sometimes that can spell out actual tangible consequences in my life.

I had no idea Black Twitter was a thing before today. Then again, I check my twitter like once every two months, so there's that.

I like the idea in the article about "a cultural singularity".

For Turing, the holy grail of computer science was a machine that could ‘produce more ideas than those with which it had been fed’.

So, in other words, a computer that could receive input, and then output a series of unique ideas and thoughts. A creative computer. Technological Singularity.

We might not have gotten there yet with machines, but it looks like black culture has probably hit a point of Cultural Singularity. We’ve spent the past 400 years as a society generating data points about what black people are supposed to look, think, and act like. Now, finally, the machine that is capitalism has begun to move on its own. It is creating its own content.

Don’t get me wrong: the idea of black people is still entertaining, but black people are no longer required to provide that entertainment.

And he's right. "Acting black" on social media is easier than ever before, and anything you create to entertain can and will be repurposed to make a larger group laugh.

Azula said:
Why does it have to be about sexuality with this joke? I realize I sound like an old conservative, that's not my intention. I just wonder why these jokes have to aways come back to women and men feeling superior or inferior with regards to having sex with them or others having sex with them.

Short answer, yes.

Fear and fetish, both go hand in hand. As the author points out, there are people looking at the images going "wow, that's so true!" and others going "wow, that's so absurd!" When I first saw the meme, I thought it was just projecting the absurdity of a stereotypical ghetto-black-teen-daughter-with-a-thug-bf-speak onto stock photos of white people. The creator was poking fun at the fear that white people have of this happening their homes. That was the joke, to me.

But I can see now how people can appreciate it on different levels. The stereotype that all black men lust after white women, the stereotype that all black men have animalistic sexual prowess, the stereotypes that black men just want to get drunk/get high/sell drugs/run trains/dance to hip hop music/have babies out of wedlock...these are all reasons why these jokes work. Like Chapelle, Mooney, Pryor, and the author of this article eventually realize is that parody can easily become mockery depending on the perspective.

Unlike Dave, I don't think this a problem though. People who don't get satire or social commentary (ie, people who don't like Robocop or think the Boondocks is just coonery and South Park is just fart jokes & profanity) shouldn't really be the consideration when these things are created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom