• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Daquan is a White Girl and black twitter is dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
It doesn't seem particularly rooted in race to me, more a specific culture. If you replaced daquan with a stereotypical white trash name (Bubba Jay, or something) the meme would still work in my mind. I don't think it's particularly funny though so maybe I am missing something that makes it work. Reminds me of those cards you get with an old timey picture with an anachronistic caption.

The joke is about white middle class fear of/racism towards black people. The joke would fall apart if you removed that element.

ISOM

Depends where you're from. In America a lot light skinned people (black and white mix) e.g J.Cole identify as black not sure about Europe though.

I think a point should be made that just because you are a light skin black person doesn't necessarily mean you have a white parent.

Gorillaz

The whole Daquan thing is partially funny except with the fact that it had to be the name "Daquan".....

The quote in the OP about having to change up entertainment is an interesting one, and I heard it a few times

What's Black-GAF's opinion on light skinned mulatto's? I'm half black but I'm light skinned as fuck
I don't have a problem with it, I do think it's kind of sad that the whole Light v Dark "thing" hasn't died down over the years, but it probably won't due to a mix of history and standards of what the media considers beauty

I'm like literally right down the middle of it complexion wise

Valhelm

contribute something
I don't buy this as being related. Wealthier people were also usually fatter, because they were rich enough to eat as much as they wanted.

These days everyone is tanning and dieting.

The current preference for thinness and a tanned-but-still-white complexion are quite recent. Until recently, the less wealthy generally had agricultural jobs and spent most of the day in the son, whereas now most low-income people work indoors, and the well-off have time to tan and work out.

Dereck

f8b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom