• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's response to EA Access Subscription plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexNovis

Banned
“We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect,” a Sony representative told us via email. “PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200% since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price. We don’t think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer.”

Our Take
While EA Access might not be coming to PS4, I wouldn’t necessarily count out the publisher’s games in PS Plus. There is still value for EA there, especially as those free-with-membership games have great potential to move the needle for DLC that has long since dropped down the sales chart.

This also doesn't mean that Sony can't change its mind later. If demand is great enough and value increases, EA Access could migrate over down the road. For now though, this is a clear statement that PS4 players shouldn't hold their breath for the program.

Full article HERE

Doesn't sound like this is coming to PSN any time soon and I find myself completely ok with that. I remain skeptical of anything EA is doing especially when the word subscription is involved.

Edit: this excellent post conveys the situation particularly well.

Been thinking of reasons why Sony might be reluctant to allow this ( at least at this stage). People saying they're being anti-consumer by denying choice are, IMO, not thinking things through, merely knee-jerking. Sony aren't likely to deprive users of a service that might benefit the ecosystem as a whole, therefore we have to look for the potential for harm.

i. Firstly it obviously competes with and potentially devalues ps+ (you'd have to think EA games would be less likely to become available to plus, or potentially they could be even more outdated versions of the sports titles).

ii. End user support. For the tiny fraction of the fee Sony would receive, they'd be expected to manage the purchase and delivery as with any digital purchase, but the fact that it's not just a single transaction for a single item and rather the support of a yearly or monthly subscription service, opens the door to many more potential issues.
Sony would be the first point of call for end user support when anything went wrong (and with ea/origin on top of ps+, that might not be trivial). Reading the many threads on GAF, I'm sure Sony's CS support lines are busy enough as is regarding the various issues that are thrown up with with their own ps+ without generating more with an extra layer of potential pitfalls on top. There would no doubt be grey areas - problems where Sony think it's an EA issue, EA think it's a Sony issue. Not appetising.

iii. It's not just EA - you have to think further ahead. Other publishers are likely to expect to be able to be given the chance to offer a competing (but maybe not even necessarily that similar) service for their own titles. This would not only multiply the effects of the above concerns but, thinking it through a bit more, you'd have to factor in each publisher's competing service's rules, regulations and nuances... and you are now presenting an even more complex problem for Sony CS.

Taking this further, it's not difficult to imagine the potential for a sea of confusion customer-side when Johnny Gamer expects certain things of one service that is actually only a part of a rival service he also subscribes to. This would only compound with every new service added. All customers would go directly to Sony to air their grievances and have their minds set at ease. Those CS staff are going to spend the next few years in and out of training courses like an mcse.

iii. Having to set up an auto-renewal with a credit card held on file. Sony don't really want to go there, do they? And that Johnny Gamer guy - what if he forgets to cancel and the service auto-renews - Sony CS have to deal with enough "my dog bought COD Ghosts when it scratched its arse on my DS4 help me please!" kind of gripes as it is.

So those were some possible reasons are why I reckon Sony isn't keen to want to walk this path, there are likely many more I can't comprehend not being in a position to understand. It's more understandable why Microsoft, struggling as they appear to be to hang on to the coat tails of ps4, are more open to a roll of the dice with their comfortable bedfellows in this extending of an unprecedented relationship
;-)

The current setup with ps+ is actually the best for the consumer in my view. Sony is the platform holder - they have their store and their services. Keeping that simple and uniform for customers is key. Having ps+ with the potential for any and all publishers competing for exposure through this single subscription service is true competition between rival publishers and it keeps things dead simple for the end user. No nested bullshit.

Several "competing" publisher-exclusive services would appear to me to be be anti-competitive and funnel gamers into a more fractured and uncertain gaming-as-a-service future.

Away from Sony and on a personal level - the TOS on the EA site reads significantly differently to a few random EA spokespersons' comments I've seen quotes in this and the other thread over the past 24 hours (regarding expiration of titles and purchases made using the 10% discount). There's ambiguity there. Tweets and e-mails to gaming sites aren't good enough - the ToS needs to be edited to reassure. It's entirely reasonable to expect EA to stick to the letter of their TOS and not some quote given to gaming Website X or a tweet from some guy who might no longer even work for EA any longer. EA don't really have the gravitas to ensure faith in their future generosity or ability to play fair.

The discount thing is thrown in there as a deal clincher. At 10% it is fairly measly vs the actual retail price paid for physical copies (here in UK at least) and for it to have much benefit as a DLC discount the user would have to be a serious content-hoover, and I can't see that very niche kind of consumer being too thrifty. The time-limited game trials some 120 hours before release I can see appealing to a hardcore minority hell-bent on getting their hands on EA's latest offerings as soon as humanly possible.

Well said indeed.

Exclusive by default perhaps then, or perhaps it was just intended to be first (maybe still is?) on Xbox One.

Its an optional subscription, I would be surprised if Sony actually said no to that. It obviously depends on what sort of game you play for what sort of mileage you'd get out of it but I think its very good value personally

Qassim

“We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect"

Thanks for deciding for me Sony. I couldn't have dealt with that decision myself.

“PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200% since the launch of PlayStation 4"

Wow, that's a big number. I wonder why? Now that it's mandatory for basic functionality of a gaming console might have something to do with it.

Ade

The monthly fee is a bit balls, the yearly however seems pretty good value.

Gotta wonder if they *really* chose not to do it, or are covering themselves.

I forsee this thread been an interesting split of opinion

I-hate-u

I am actually shocked they would issue a response like that. Usually its best to keep doors open for possible future endeavors. But it makes sense to shrug it off seeing as how it competes with their own service.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yeah, it's all right. Seems like EA just wants in on the PS+/XBLG cash. It's a nice value if you're really into their sports titles and whatnot, but not a huge loss on the whole.

Full article HERE

Doesn't sound like this is coming to PSN any time soon and I find myself completely ok with that. I remain skeptical of anything EA is doing especially when the word subscription is involved.

I am baffled that people are happy for less options, and no choice...

Squire

Banned
It doesn't have to come to PS4.

Not everyone has a PS4, be it with other consoles or at all.

It's OK.

More options for the people they apply to is always a good thing.

Guessing Sony thinks that if they allow these guys to do it all these other companies will follow suit instead of making their games available for plus

Options are better but then again it is EA; they take something good and turn it to a scheme

iceatcs

Oh cool. Hope all others will take it seriously and maybe won't allow it on their network. I don't think it is good idea to allow multi-subscriptions in one.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
That's nice. Now give us back free multiplayer.

Jb

That's a really anti-consumer decision on their part, it's up to consumers to decide whether or not the program represents a good value for them.

Can't see why they'd pass on an optional subscription that provides a good value but eh.

Because they already offer pretty much the same thing and EA will have little choice but to be a part of PS+.

The surprise to me is more that Microsoft are permitting it. What position will they be in if EA moves online play for their games into their service as well?

"We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect,”

Yeah, like the value in paying $60 (only dropped to 50 because of consumer backlash) dollars for a port of a year-old game.....

Creaking

guessing Sony thinks if they allow these guys to do it... all these other companies will follow suit instead of making their games available for plus

That's what I'm a little worried about. I don't fancy a domino effect of publishers branching off announcing their own subscription services, generally devaluing PS+ and Games with Gold. There aren't any publishers that I'm so enamored with that I'd pay a fee to gain access to only their games. I appreciate the rounded value that PS+ gives, and I don't want that to go away any time soon. It does seem like something too good to last.

Oh cool. Hope all others will take it seriously and maybe won't allow it on their network. I don't think it is good idea to allow multi-subscriptions in one.

Eh, I'm split on this one. I think it would be a good idea for Sony to allow more subscription options to their consumers. I mean, it would just be like Netflix, Hulu, and the other subscription-based services available on PlayStation platforms.

Daffy Duck

Sony talking the value game when they have such shocking prices with PSNow?

My 2 cents is that they feel it too cheap and makes their PSNow service look like even more of a rip off, hence why they don't want it on Playstation.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Kind of fine with this. And is it just me or from the statement, it seems EA offered it and Sony turned it down?

I'm still skeptical that EA's service will offer day-one releases and such. Titanfall isn't there, as well. It's just $30 so it's worth gambling for a year. But again, skeptical. EA does know this might cannibalize sales of its own games at some point and there's bound to be a hook.

Rurunaki

Good Sony is taking a stand.. For all we know Ubisoft might be planning their own subscription type deal if EA gets big mobey out of theirs, and then it will be the norm for all publishers..

Xando

That's a really anti-consumer decision on their part, it's up to consumers to decide whether or not the program represents a good value for them.

wat?
Its a third-party service they decided not to get on their plattform because it takes away value from their own service,

Yup, if they allow EA, it won't take long before every other pub starts their own little subscription service.

Its optional though... if someone buys a particularly large amount of games from 1 publisher and they get a good deal why not let them do it?

You don't have to subscribe and you can still buy the games either digitally or on a disc

Niven

Yup, if they allow EA, it won't take long before every other pub starts their own little subscription service.

What's wrong with having them as an option to? We are not forced in to anything just offering different people different alternatives

Other publishers will only do it if EA's service is successful, and it will only be successful if consumers CHOOSE to purchase the service. Consumer choice, a good thing

meppi

guessing Sony thinks if they allow these guys to do it... all these other companies will follow suit instead of making their games available for plus

Options are better but then again... it is EA, they take something good and turn it to a scheme

That's what I'm thinking.
Might seem like a great deal now, but knowing EA, there is bound to be something up that they either aren't speaking of, of that will change in the future.
After all the shit in the past couple of years, I don't trust that company at all.

Perfectly fine with this stance. Would say I hope Nintendo does the same but.... lol

JMizzlin

“PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200% since the launch of PlayStation 4"

Because it's mandatory if you want to do anything online than you were previously doing on PS3.

PS Plus is excellent but EA Access is also excellent. Pretty lame that Sony feel the need to comment on another companies practice.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Thank god. No matter how noble EAs offering sounds, lets do not forget: This is EA. This company constantly tries to screw customers, not offer them a good deal. ´So I'm happy that this EA poison-vault stays away from PSN.

TsuWave

It's 2014, most games come with an online component, if you don't consider online gaming basic functionality I don't even know what to say.

Not required for all games. you already said "most games" not all come with online component, which also happens to vary from game to game and is not guaranteed to be locked up behind PS+. Not to mention plenty of gamers have no interest in online multiplayer. It isn't basic functionality of a gaming console for all.

Terrible change from a consumer viewpoint? sure. I'd prefer it had it be kept the way it was on PS3.

You need PS+ to play MP on PS4.

read above.

Creaking

Eh, I'm split on this one. I think it would be a good idea for Sony to allow more subscription options to their consumers. I mean, it would just be like Netflix, Hulu, and the other subscription-based services available on PlayStation platforms.

Where you can't watch some shows on some services but you can on others? So if you wanted to watch exclusive show A on Netflix and exclusive show B on Hulu, you'd have to subscribe to both? (Or deal with a lot of ads on Hulu, I'm not sure how it works these days)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom