• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA raising price of EA Play subscription | Change will come into effect on May 10, annual fee rising to $39.99, while Pro up to $119.99

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Shit games and Sports Games are all they make anymore. The sports games drop to 29.99 within 3 months. I usually agree with spending on these services and I still use Uplay because it has a few games I like but not at 120.00 a year. I wouldn't get that value from EA in return.

mitch1971

You've been EA played.

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

Södy

Who the fuck subs this and why? EA doesn't even make games, lucky to see 1 semi-worthwhile non-sports release every several years (years with a Y). I assume it comes with some Fifa or Madden shit?

Basically do this in autumn to try out the new FIFA and NHL. Also, currently waiting for Jedi Survivor to hit the service to sub for a month.

xrnzaaas

EA's base sub leaving Game Pass would be quite a big hit, they're offering a lot of good older games. I think it's still more likely than Microsoft raising the Game Pass price again when they're already struggling to gain new subs.

Dr.Morris79

EA's base sub leaving Game Pass would be quite a big hit, they're offering a lot of good older games. I think it's still more likely than Microsoft raising the Game Pass price again when they're already struggling to gain new subs.
How long can any of this be sustained though? Wages are not going up enough, especially here in the UK, to justify any of this.

Netflix
Amazon
Gamepass
Ps+
UBI+
EA
Sky sports
BT Sports
Various Amazon channels
BBC licence fee
Etc, etc.

You need at least two TV ones if you want something to watch and if you're a gamer at least both console subs. That's a heafty chunk already from a crap wage (Not to mention actually buying the damn things to play or watch on)

Our basic minimum wage here is £11.44p. If you're single in a property, renting, at minimum wage, you're bearly making rent and enough to eat..

None of this is sustainable for the majorty of people already, even before price hikes.

It's all a bit crazy. Especially if like me, you walked past a 'food bank' yesterday that had a que.

Everyone likes to take a dump on EA and rightfully so but in this case it was totally expected.

Everything becomes more expensive. MS upped their prices and stopped stacking of GamePass, Sony upped their fees too.

This is a bit of a non-issue tbh.

How long can any of this be sustained though? Wages are not going up enough, especially here in the UK, to justify any of this.

Netflix
Amazon
Gamepass
Ps+
UBI+
EA
Sky sports
BT Sports
Various Amazon channels
BBC licence fee
Etc, etc.

You need at least two TV ones if you want something to watch and if you're a gamer at least both console subs. That's a heafty chunk already from a crap wage (Not to mention actually buying the damn things to play or watch on)

Our basic minimum wage here is £11.44p. If you're single in a property, renting, at minimum wage, you're bearly making rent and enough to eat..

None of this is sustainable for the majorty of people already, even before price hikes.

It's all a bit crazy. Especially if like me, you walked past a 'food bank' yesterday that had a que.
Sounds harsh but you can't blame companies for the fact that you can't keep paying for them...

They have staff and staff has to be paid. Its also for investing in new content and keeping the platform stable and safe.

You cant do anything about that. But you are in control of your own income. Maybe look for something else?

Eimran

I consider this good news.

All these companies jumping on the subscription band wagon (EA play, GTA+, PSN, gamepass, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon....)

The number of services multiplied
The service declines
But the prices increase

From a costumer pov, this isn't sustainable in the long run.

Eventually they'll be the architects of their own destruction.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Sounds harsh but you can't blame companies for the fact that you can't keep paying for them...

They have staff and staff has to be paid. Its also for investing in new content and keeping the platform stable and safe.

You cant do anything about that. But you are in control of your own income. Maybe look for something else?
I'm not on about me. I'm on about the general consensus of it all.

None of it is sustainable, for anyone 👍

I'm not on about me. I'm on about the general consensus of it all.

None of it is sustainable, for anyone 👍
Yes it is. Just make choices. You don't need them all.
No-one is pointing a gun at you saying you need to subscribe. It's all a choice.

Saying its not sustainable is just false. You make it unsustainable by wanting too much.

mdkirby

I really don’t get these publisher subs. Practically all their games of note are either on, or on with mild patience either ps+ or gamespass. Their yearly output is generally inconsistent and spread over too many demographics to be of particular value to any individual gamer. 🤷‍♂️

Dr.Morris79

Yes it is. Just make choices. You don't need them all.
No-one is pointing a gun at you saying you need to subscribe. It's all a choice.

Saying its not sustainable is just false. You make it unsustainable by wanting too much.
🤷‍♂️

If people can't sustain some, or most of them, how do you expect company's to as well?

I've just stated that wages have stagnated, and that's a basic must before any of this..

Good for you if you can afford it, the majority can't.

P.s,
I'm not talking about you, or me.

I dont really care for any of them personally. If I didn't have a wife or child I'd never watch any TV sub to begin with.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I really don’t get these publisher subs. Practically all their games of note are either on, or on with mild patience either ps+ or gamespass. Their yearly output is generally inconsistent and spread over too many demographics to be of particular value to any individual gamer. 🤷‍♂️

I can see why you'd want to sub for one month to play through a specific single player game, but anything else is a complete waste of money. And when a sizable number of their subscribers use a one month subscription as a cheaper alternative to buying a full-price game, publishers are even losing money on these subscription services.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Thank goodness. I was worried about EA. I didn't want their head honchos to have to wait to get their gold toilets installed.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
A sub for EA makes sense. At this point they make the majority of their money from microtransactions. Their sports games lose almost all value after 1 year. Their consumer type is extremely casual, so many of them just buy 1 game a year. Converting these people to subs is a win for them. Hardcore gamers can use this for cheaper access but that's not something they're really even concerned with.

mdkirby

A sub for EA makes sense. At this point they make the majority of their money from microtransactions. Their sports games lose almost all value after 1 year. Their consumer type is extremely casual, so many of them just buy 1 game a year. Converting these people to subs is a win for them. Hardcore gamers can use this for cheaper access but that's not something they're really even concerned with.
If it’s mostly about the loyal casuals who just buy the one sports game per year, then aren’t they losing money vs normal? Ie this same customer would have just been paying £70 for their yearly sports title, now they are paying 30ish 🤷‍♂️…which I guess is a good deal for them assuming they have no need for all the other stuff in ps+ gamespass etc

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If it’s mostly about the loyal casuals who just buy the one sports game per year, then aren’t they losing money vs normal? Ie this same customer would have just been paying £70 for their yearly sports title, now they are paying 30ish 🤷‍♂️…which I guess is a good deal for them assuming they have no need for all the other stuff in ps+ gamespass etc
They would want Pro since they play sports stuff on day one, so that's $120 a year.

DaGwaphics

$40 is still a nice price for this if you play some of the sports titles. The 1yr old titles on offer here still have a lot of online activity and you get access to the rest of the games they publish as a bonus. If Madden/Fifa/NHL/UFC/PGA type things aren't something you are interested in, I can see it not being a good value for you.

A 50% increase yearly is quite a jump though. LOL

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

How does it make sense for a casual gamer to get an annual EA subscription (used to be 100 euro) in order to play FC24 when it's much cheaper to get just buy the game? The price drops to 50 euro almost immediately and keeps dropping as the months go by.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
How does it make sense for a casual gamer to get an annual EA subscription (used to be 100 euro) in order to play FC24 when it's much cheaper to get just buy the game? The price drops to 50 euro almost immediately and keeps dropping as the months go by.
I didn't say it made sense for the consumer. I said it makes sense for EA.

It makes some sense for the consumer as soon as you want to play 2 day one games of theirs a year. Personally, I would never sub to EA Play.

Sleepwalker

I didn't say it made sense for the consumer. I said it makes sense for EA.

It makes some sense for the consumer as soon as you want to play 2 day one games of theirs a year. Personally, I would never sub to EA Play.

EA play pro with 1 day releases is not available on console though, is it? Not many casual sports fans on PC.

So the casual wont sub to play fifa because it wont be there at launch.

But people still sub at launch for the 10% discount on mtx. Specially whales.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
EA play pro with 1 day releases is not available on console though, is it?

So the casual wont sub to play fifa because it wont be there at launch.

But people still sub at launch for the 10% discount on mtx. Specially whales.
I had no idea that's the case. Interesting. I don't sub to it so I don't know honestly.

Top Bottom