• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA raising price of EA Play subscription | Change will come into effect on May 10, annual fee rising to $39.99, while Pro up to $119.99

ea-play-headline-giereczki.png

Electronic Arts is increasing the price for its EA Play subscription service, GamesIndustry.biz understands.

The standard EA Play tier will increase from $4.99 / £3.99 per month to $5.99 / £5.99, with the annual fee rising from $29.99 / £19.99 to $39.99 / £34.99.

Meanwhile, the EA Play Pro subscription — which gives users extra in-game rewards and perks, as well as access to all of the publisher's latest games as soon as they launch — is increasing from $14.99 / £14.99 to $16.99 / £16.99, with the annual membership up to $119.99 / £99.99 from $99.99 / £89.99.

Draugoth

Gold Member

Electronic Arts is increasing the price for its EA Play subscription service, GamesIndustry.biz understands.

The standard EA Play tier will increase from $4.99 / £3.99 per month to $5.99 / £5.99, with the annual fee rising from $29.99 / £19.99 to $39.99 / £34.99. Meanwhile, the EA Play Pro subscription — which gives users extra in-game rewards and perks, as well as access to all of the publisher's latest games as soon as they launch — is increasing from $14.99 / £14.99 to $16.99 / £16.99, with the annual membership up to $119.99 / £99.99 from $99.99 / £89.99.

An email detailing the changes is being issued to subscribers today, explaining that the new prices will come into effect as of May 10, 2024.

GamesIndustry.biz understands these changes are being made to reflect changes in currency value and to bring fees in line with market value.

Three

I think I subbed for a year to play It Takes Two and it's running out in August. Don't really use it. That price increase is too hefty for me to resub for I don't know what games.

Three

GamesIndustry.biz understands these changes are being made to reflect changes in currency value and to bring fees in line with market value.

Do they mean inflation? Because they've increased the dollar prices too which I assume is the base currency.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
They're pretty good about putting their games into the vault approx 1 year after release. I do wonder when Jedi: Survivor is going to get added and keep on thinking they're going to be cheesy and do it on May 4th.

Three

You don't think that is going to result in EA Play moving away from GamePass or GamePass increasing in price?
Doubt it. Its only included with Ultimate or PC GP. The former is already steeply priced at $204 annually and the latter is because EA need the PC playerbase. When MS do increase the price again it won't be related to this.

T4keD0wN

They're probably dropping Jedi Survivor in two weeks so they are sneaking this in first.
There should still be small window to play it at the current price, i think ill take advantage of it myself if theyll adhere to their 1 year rule.
Good thing the service is on steam too so EA will get even less money from me this way.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Nothing will stop the price increases constantly till every subscription service is left by its consumers.

They will keep raising prices, then add advertisements to the lower models, till folks in the middle and lower class people cannot afford it. Soon adverts will be added to even the premium levels.

I got some notification that Prime wants 3 dollars a month to not have adds even though my wife pays for their prime service. I canceled it. Everywhere I turn everything is a subscription and ads now.

My PHEV Jeep half electric thingy my wife bought me has a damn subscription, my wife’s Mercedes SUV vehicle has subscriptions, every app has a subscription.

It is crazy to think about that just about every app, video game console, etc have subscriptions and it is getting mighty tiring.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
This. People need to stop complaining and vote with their wallet.
Agreed. I stopped my Netflix and HBO Max last year and I am at least dropping to the essential tier of ps plus when my extra tier expires in June. I’d like to drop plus completely, but we know that can’t happen if I want to play online on console outside of some ftp games. I don’t mind paying a little for quality, but when companies continue to try to raise prices without an increase in value, I’m out. The economy is already hard enough to buy groceries in right now.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I suspect they will eventually lock premium in-game content behind subscriptions too. People are only going to pay so much to play the same few games with a fresh coat of paint every year.

Quasicat

I hope this doesn’t affect the price of Game Pass. In fact, I would prefer that Microsoft drop EA Play if it means raising the price. I say this as I do not play much from their catalogue except for the Mass Effect Trilogy. I am looking forward to playing NCAA Football this year, but realistically I will not wait for it to come to EA Play and I will buy it at launch.

Jaybe

Wonder how much longer Microsoft will keep paying EA to include EA Play in the Game Pass PC and Ultimate tiers. Surely if EA is asking more from consumers, they are also asking for more from Microsoft. Or will Xbox just raise the price of Game Pass again?

TransTrender

Gold Member
Wonder how much longer Microsoft will keep paying EA to include EA Play in the Game Pass PC and Ultimate tiers. Surely if EA is asking more from consumers, they are also asking for more from Microsoft. Or will Xbox just raise the price of Game Pass again?
EA probably sent a few emails to MS about this but they haven't checked their Spam folder, so I'm guessing one day it will stop working and that's when they'll find out.

Sleepwalker

Lmao 40 bucks to play old games and have the privilege of buying games for a tiny discount. No thanks EA.

A lot of whales do sub to this because of the 10% off in MTX for FIFA and Madden. Unfortunately.

Sentenza

This. People need to stop complaining and vote with their wallet.
I never did otherwise.
This is your bullshit people, not mine.

Also, this service was already middling at best, at this price my prediction is that is going to sink like a tank.

Last edited:

NeonDelta

Mine is up for renewal on 2nd may I think, should I turn back on the auto renewal to keep the £20 price?

I mainly use it for trials of the sports games and was going to use it for Jedi survivor

Just checked and prices have gone up already

Edit - just reactivated my auto renewal and it does say £19.99 so maybe I’ll be ok

Last edited:

NeonDelta

Cut your subscriptions. You do not need all that shit. I moved from Apple Music to buying songs that interest me outright, my wife was shocked. Few months later she did the sale.
Tempted to do that with music too as I listen to mainly the same stuff all the time

Hudo

If Ubisoft and EA were to combine their shit, their service might be worth $0.50 annually

Last edited:

Reallink

Who the fuck subs this and why? EA doesn't even make games, lucky to see 1 semi-worthwhile non-sports release every several years (years with a Y). I assume it comes with some Fifa or Madden shit?

Last edited:
Top Bottom