• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dad and sister of mine think that the cure for cancer exists but is hidden

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichyMtl

Neo Member
My partner believes that they found the cure for aids but they make so much money with all the pills HIV+ people are taking that they prefer to keep it that way... I just nod and walk away...

Yeah, I have a friend who justifies smoking by saying that there's a cure for lung cancer (Hash Oil) but it's not legal. I know it's got some benefits... but still.

There's probably experimental treatments that exist but they're too expensive to be made profitable as general medicine for the general population i.e aspirin, paracetamol etc. and are instead specialized medicine which is incredibly expensive and/or experimental active anti-cancer agents that are just sat on due to lack of funding in research and development.

Also there's no "cure for cancer". Cancer is a large category of diseases.

Eusis

The closest thing to a cure for cancer I can imagine is figuring out how to reconstruct the whole body relatively easily and at any point in development, and that's basically unlocking immortality at the same time anyway. So yeah, I don't see that as something the government's hiding away.

1cmanny1

Some of you are a bit OTT. Tons of people believe these silly conspiracy theories, you can either cheerfully debate them or just nod politely. My entire family believes lots of nonsense, I don't hate them, I just find it funny.

It isn't like believing the cure for cancer is hidden by the government will hurt anyone. Save your anger for people not accepting blood transfusions, or using pseudoscience medicine over seeing a medical professional etc.

Randam

What would be the benefit for them to keep it a secret??

Making it available for everyone would make them soooo much more money.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
One must ask, is there a possibility they could be right?

Nah.

phd042009s.gif

The conspiracy is usually in the form of "it's much more profitable to get somebody to pay for years of cancer treatment than it is for a once off cure". Usually if somebody is peddling said cure, it's some kind of herb, supplement or dietary chance that they want you to read their book about, for the low low price of 19.99, or 10 dollars on kindle. "Drug companies can't patent this miracle cure, because it's all natural!"

Log4Girlz

Money is in the treatment! No one in their right minds would steal the cure for hundreds of billions of dollars in personal gain :/

Money is in the treatment! No one in their right minds would steal the cure for hundreds of billions of dollars in personal gain :/

None of the scientists would come forward to claim the nobel prize, they'd get whacked by the illuminati

I am sure Steve Jobs would be a pretty high bidder, but cancer still got him.

I don't recall the exact details but I believe he attempted alternative treatments prior to getting conventional ones and it worsened his condition.

Nephtis

look at the guy that made the Polio vaccine! Dude died poor :p

Really though, even if we had the cure for cancer, it just means you're cured for that instance. Cancer is a mutation of the cells, so unless we can prevent said mutation from occurring in the first place, the cancer can still come back. So you'd be cured again.

Makai

The conspiracy is usually in the form of "it's much more profitable to get somebody to pay for years of cancer treatment than it is for a once off cure". Usually if somebody is peddling said cure, it's some kind of herb, supplement or dietary chance that they want you to read their book about, for the low low price of 19.99, or 10 dollars on kindle. "Drug companies can't patent this miracle cure, because it's all natural!"
I find the herbal supplement market fascinating. Its customers seem to have this attitude that consumption of herbs can only be positive. Harmless at worst and miracle cures at best.

BLAZER

I'm sure it can be cured with stem cell research. But where would that lead humanity...You have your answer.

Faiz

What say you, GAF? Think they have a clue or are they fucking idiots?

"Fucking idiots" is a little harsh but it's more the latter than the former, but I'll ask a question in return.

Was it worth the emotional stress on your family relationships to escalate the discussion to an argument based in anger? It doesn't make any real logical sense, but shitting on them and treating them like idiots isn't going to get you anywhere.

Instead of getting pissy, try to 1) understand that the sentiment is rooted in modern distrust of government and large corporations and 2) make your points and if they don't buy it just move on. When you present an argument the wrong way your just as likely to make the other party dig in no matter how sound your points are.

Enco

They should come to GAF and join the other conspiracy theorists.

And no there's no chance they're right.

Big pharma can do some sneaky shit but hiding a cure from the world isn't one.

And 'herbal' med is nonsense. The claims are ridiculous. Many drugs are based on natural products anyway.

Oh and there are so many types of cancer the chances of a cure is really really low. It's unlikely to have all cancers cured in our life time. Maybe in the future it will be managed like diabetes.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I don't recall the exact details but I believe he attempted alternative treatments prior to getting conventional ones and it worsened his condition.

Yup. His type of cancer was actually fairly treatable, but he spent so much time messing around with alternative medicine that by the time he got actual help it had progressed too far.

HarryKS

Well, there is a solution: nanomachines.I say this without any comedic purpose. Perhaps the technology is still in its infancy though.

The Lamp

Well, there is a solution: nanomachines.I say this without any comedic purpose. Perhaps the technology is still in its infancy though.

My professor was researching designing nanomaterials for nanoscale devices that could be injected into the body and diagnose cancers like pancreatic cancer. I helped him for some of the materials research. It's not really sci-fi anymore.

If they keep it secret to all but the highest bidder, I don't see how Steve Jobs would die from cancer.

So simply put, and so true.

If there was a cure for cancer, no government in the world would be powerful enough to prevent a pharma company from exploiting it to hell and back.

mcz117chief

There are two options:

1) They have some very clean and very broad spectrum drug for cancer but don't distribute it for fear or losing cash income (not very likely but possible)

2) They try to prevent people from finding the cure so that they can cash in on the victims by selling them their own drugs and letting them pay for expensive therapies (very likely)

Secondly, cancer is a family of diseases. You cannot have a single cure for dozens of diseases.

Just like every other disease on the planet. Each disease mutates ever so slightly inside every person when he/she is infected.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
vaccine? Cancer isn't a germ, For one there are many forms of it, even of a single type of cancer. Furthermore, its when cells do whats best for themselves instead of acting in unison with other cells, hence why they grow rapidly. Even if we found a treatment or antioxidant that were able to stop and revert growth of cancer cells that say happened in the ovarys .... that doesnt mean it will work in the pancreas or lungs.

McLovin

Cancer can't really be vaccinated, its not a virus or outside disease invading your body. It's your own cells fucking up. The only way that I could imagine fully curing cancer would be to have your whole genetic data backed up and have little nano bots going through your body keeping your cells in check, and that's not going to happen any time soon. All we can really do is treat it and/or nuke it with radiation.

I am sure Steve Jobs would be a pretty high bidder, but cancer still got him.

Are you honestly that naive? Obviously the Big Pharma knows sacrifices have to be made in order for their plan to deceive us to work. Steve Jobs' death was a necessity.

Jobs' unbelievable success is not a surprise either. Obviously it's the government's mind control at work as compensation for making a deal not to treat him. "For our plan to work, we'll make you America's #1 guy but you'll have to die, deal?"

Not to mention Apple's technological breakthroughs with the iPhone are not a product of chance either. Hint: the spaceships the government has captured utilize touch-screen tech.

Who the fuck believes such shit?!

Volimar

You'd have to think that there are so many people working on cancer research that someone not under the secret cabal's control would come forward with a breakthrough. Just silly.

Are you honestly that naive? Obviously the Big Pharma knows sacrifices have to be made in order for their plan to deceive us to work. Steve Jobs' death was a necessity.

Jobs' unbelievable success is not a surprise either. Obviously it's the government's mind control at work as compensation for making a deal not to treat him. "For our plan to work, we'll make you America's #1 guy but you'll have to die, deal?"

Not to mention Apple's technological breakthroughs with the iPhone are not a product of chance either. Hint: the spaceships the government has captured utilize touch-screen tech.

Who the fuck believes such shit?!

You mean Steve Jobs' "death".

Hoo-doo

Banned
a lot of people do. There's some believability to it, tbh

Indeed. Because a majority of people are wildly uneducated on the subject.

There is currently no believability to it though, none. Except in the minds of tinfoil-hat-wearing crazies who love a good conspiracy.

Each type of cancer differs from the other significantly, and even the same type of cancer in multiple people may respond completely differently to various treatments. This is one of the reasons on-demand, individual DNA sequencing will be a huge leap in treatment. We can't just do that for everyone right now - it's not really feasible. But, some day, we will be able to, and it well let us tailor treatments so that they are the most effective for that individual.

So no, you cannot just make one "cure for cancer".

BLAZER

Indeed. Because a majority of people are wildly uneducated on the subject.

There is currently no believability to it though, none. Except in the minds of tinfoil-hat-wearing crazies who love a good conspiracy.

Are you serious?? Cancer will be the highest grossing killer along with bacteria that will ever face humanity. There is no where humans have to go to expand. Can you image the devastation it would cause to the world such as wars, overpopulation, an even more under resourced planet etc etc if people are allowed to live cancer free over others. I think you have drastically overlooked how much it would effect the world. It would totally change humanity!

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
It's sad, a lot of conspiracy theories just seem like a desperate attempt to make the world suck less. "Oh there's a cute for cancer, we just don't know about it," "Oh there are super advanced aliens and space travel, it's just secret," "Oh the NWO controls the world so at least somebody is capable of doubt that," etc

Cheech

If they keep it secret to all but the highest bidder, I don't see how Steve Jobs would die from cancer.

This is pretty much it. If there was a cure for all cancers, that dude of all people would have found it.

Most cancers are very "curable" if caught early enough. But once it spreads, it's much harder to treat.

This has to be one of the dumbest conspiracies to believe in. If a cure existed why wouldn't Pfizer or another huge pharma company be selling it and profiting off of it?

Dumb. Just dumb.

The worst to consider is the point at which their beliefs could harm real individuals, until that i would just shrug it off as clearly uneducated silly goosery. More interestingly, you could even take this as an example of America's fascination with the very rich and its belief that life is immeasurably and unknowingly better at that class strata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom