• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2: Driving Social — Drivatars, 1000 player clubs, instant multiplayer

Bgamer90

Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpbkwBbY4M&feature=player_detailpage#t=2173

Seems to confirm that there'll be a storyline and rival characters, at least to some extent (and that events will still be gated by wristbands).

Although it's definitely somewhat different to the original. The forzamotorsport.net writeup has some details about how it's going to work:

There is according to the 20 minute gamescom video with Ralph Fulton I saw a few days ago. Will take his word for it.

Remember reading an article from about a month or so ago saying there wasn't a story. My mistake then -- would prefer if there wasn't one TBH.

Friend played this at Gamecom and he hasn't stopped gushing about how amazing it was.

The openness of the game, the visuals, the weather effects, the sound. He fell n love almost straight away and made me mad jelly in the process.

Where's the demo, Playground? WHERE'S THE GODDAMN DEMO.

HeliosT10

Friend played this at Gamecom and he hasn't stopped gushing about how amazing it was.

The openness of the game, the visuals, the weather effects, the sound. He fell n love almost straight away and made me mad jelly in the process.

Where's the demo, Playground? WHERE'S THE GODDAMN DEMO.

That's awesome :D hope he got one of our swag bags.

HeliosT10

There is according to the 20 minute gamescom video with Ralph Fulton I saw a few days ago. Will take his word for it.

That's true, to call it a story would possibly be a bit much which I think is where the initial confusion stemmed from. But there are inter connecting cutscenes in Forza Horizon 2 in very much the same vein as the original.

T.O.P

Banned

me be like

anigif_enhanced-13510-1400513270-3.gif

Megasoum

Banned
I'm curious to see how it will drive with the TX since it's more on the arcadey side. I ended up playing the first one with a controller and it was fine so I don't mind doing it again for the second one but hey, would be nice to use my new TX with it too.

That's enough for me.

There's downsides to openness, imo there needs to be structure and incentive to explore otherwise I spend most of my time doing the bits I enjoy and ignoring the rest.

This is a problem I have in the FM career when I end up with dozens of events I can't be arsed with as I've driven all the 'good' ones first. Makes the game a chore to complete.

I'm curious to see how it will drive with the TX since it's more on the arcadey side. I ended up playing the first one with a controller and it was fine so I don't mind doing it again for the second one but hey, would be nice to use my new TX with it too.

Horizon 1 played great with a wheel, no worries apart from cockpit and bumper visibility when crossing the fields.

RyudBoy

I wonder if MS are working on something for the XB1 that's similar to the Wireless Speed Wheel on 360. I used that to play Horizon 1, and it worked surprisingly well. I think the only time I ever used a controller to play FH1 was during the demo.

It sucks that I can't use the Speed Wheel on XB1. :(

I wonder if MS are working on something for the XB1 that's similar to the Wireless Speed Wheel on 360. I used that to play Horizon 1, and it worked surprisingly well. I think the only time I ever used a controller to play FH1 was during the demo.

It sucks that I can't use the Speed Wheel on XB1. :(

I couldn't agree more. I'd love them to offer something similar for Xbox One, and soon.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
that looks quite a bit larger then the first. nice.

EDIT: that P1 active aero LOL

nikos

Here's an early approximation of the full map:

horizon2xzuxx.jpg

And here is the fantastic video that it came from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqb1bWJsyNk

This is disappointing, as it seems to have the same issue Forza Horizon's map did. It felt like a bunch of tracks that were connected via random highways rather than a real map. I understand we can go off-road this time, but off-roading in non off-road vehicles, which most of the lineup will probably consist of, never appealed to me.

Hopefully there are roads on that map that aren't visible because it's zoomed too far out.

shandy706

The guy said "early approximation" of said map.

Why respond like its a final cut? :p

I noticed in the videos there are tons of trails and crisscrossing roads both on and off-road.

RawNuts

Hope the active aero on the P1 and LaFerrari are working correctly in the final game.
It's actually all of the active aero parts, so I'm sure they'll be fixed by launch. I was wondering why it was popping up so rapidly on the Bentley before; funny to see.

alterno69

Banned
Imdon't get the apeal of going off road with super cars, seems silly to me. It's great that there aren't invisible walls on the roads but encouraging off roading with those cars is weird IMO.

Will there be a demo for this? My son will probably want this, i got him F5 yesterday and he seems to be on a racing games spree right now.

jem0208

Imdon't get the apeal of going off road with super cars, seems silly to me. It's great that there aren't invisible walls on the roads but encouraging off roading with those cars is weird IMO.

Will there be a demo for this? My son will probably want this, i got him F5 yesterday and he seems to be on a racing games spree right now.
Silly? It's a video game! It's gunna be awesome.

p3tran

Banned
I dont know if this gamespot video was posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziqYDhUJYVs

dudes (apparently not very familiar with f5) they try to do a race not for placement, but for skill points.
see how that worked out for them lol :)
(also all aids you can see are on yet they have this ..trouble)
which in turn means I am less worried that this would turn too much arcade :)

I'm not saying the map is small, just not as big as I thought / hoped it would be.

And whats going on with that large and seemingly unused area to the left of Sisteron, will that be driveable or somehow blocked off? Same thing on the far right. Hmm.

JaggedSac

Assuming the airport strip is around 4000m long, the map looks to be around 36 km east to west and 16 km north to south. Giving around 576 square kilometers to drive, minus some of the water.

I'm not saying the map is small, just not as big as I thought / hoped it would be.

And whats going on with that large and seemingly unused area to the left of Sisteron, will that be driveable or somehow blocked off? Same thing on the far right. Hmm.

Same thing as the previous game. The map is presented as part of a larger country, with the drivable area in the highlighted portion.

MouldyK

At first I thought it was small, but then I realised it might be because of the amount of unused space there is compared to the first. Hopefully the cities are bigger than the first ones by a lot though.

JaggedSac

FH1 map for comparison

http://www.myforza.net/horizon/images/map/fh_map_minisize70.jpg

Seems bigger. Maybe 1.5x the size? Since they are hesitating on talking about a specific size. They would talk 2x bigger, 3x bigger if it was the case.

edit: theres a golf club, a industrial area.. and looks like NICE has a big area for street races.

The area you can drive in is 3 times bigger:

Fulton stresses that Playground Games has been able to create a world that is “bigger in virtually every dimension than the one we had in Horizon.”

“It’s bigger in terms of the miles of road you’ll find there, it’s bigger in terms of the overall area but, most importantly, we’ve found it’s bigger in terms of the drivable area – the places you can actually go and explore,” he says. “Three times bigger, actually.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06...ramerate-music-more-detailed-ign-first?page=3

p3tran

Banned
Assuming the airport strip is around 4000m long, the map looks to be around 36 km east to west and 16 km north to south. Giving around 576 square kilometers to drive, minus some of the water.

thats a great reference point, nice catch.
worst case scenario though would be that the airstrip is long enough for a mile drag, plus comfort zone front/back which would make it maybe around 2,5-3km

maybe helios can just give us the spec for airstrip length in forza horizon scale :D
if he does want to give away yet the total square km number

Megasoum

Banned
Speaking of map... For the people in here who played Horizon 1 with a steering wheel, how does it work for moving around the map?

Widge

Initially, the map doesn't look that interesting (as someone said, clumps of track connected by roads and a lot of greenspace inbetween), however, zoom in and you can start to see a lot more scope. Some of the smaller grey roads get lost in the murk.

Phinor

If you watch the video linked with the map image, the green waypoint line is 10.9 miles long. If you straighten it out, you are clearly looking at less than 10.9 miles east-west. Let's say it's 10 miles, that would be around 16 kilometers. It's not a huge map by any means, but it will probably do just fine.

Personally my expectations for open world driving game world size is now set by The Crew. I'm not saying the world is quite as detailed or that The Crew can compete with FH2 when it comes to driving physics or production quality, but the sheer size of their map is nothing I've ever seen in a racing game (ok, there's Fuel, but that map felt just hollow in comparison to The Crew/FH2) and that's why FH2 map size feels, while sufficient for the purposes of the game, really small in comparison.

(The Crew has a lot to improve though, hopefully the next beta in couple of weeks shows a lot of improvement. That game has another huge advantage and that is the fact that (on PC) our existing wheels work just fine with the game.)

shandy706

I dont know if this gamespot video was posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziqYDhUJYVs

dudes (apparently not very familiar with f5) they try to do a race not for placement, but for skill points.
see how that worked out for them lol :)
(also all aids you can see are on yet they have this ..trouble)
which in turn means I am less worried that this would turn too much arcade :)

They were just "competing" with each other for skill points, and didn't care about placement....still though..

#1 rule of gaming journalism..

1. Suck at video games

Took the time to match up (somewhat) the size of the maps. Going by the main highways (size wise), this is my best guess.

Horizon 2 in color, Horizon 1 in B&W.

rxsljq.jpg

Looks freaking stunning from these videos. So glad this is up "first" in Xbox's major releases this fall, it's my most anticipated, more so than SO and MCC.

Top Bottom