• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 12: Gwah, hah. Welcome to the Bowser's game.

Neiteio

Can anyone answer definitively if the list of supposed DLC characters came from the same person who leaked these images or not? No one seems to actually know.

Also, I feel like we're all overlooking a rather obvious hurdle to it being fake: other than maybe Bowser Jr., no one can source the renders for any of the unrevealed characters. Either our leaker is an incredibly good 3D modeler, or...
Exactly.

Big One

Banned
If that leak is real I'm willing to bet good money that isn't the complete roster. It looks like the person playing still has more to unlock.

Feltrol

Banned
nessteamreal.jpg

giphy.gif

Aah... this leak looks pretty damn convincing. That Dr. Mario render in particular looks amazing. At the same time, for some reason I'm not quite on board yet. That Falco bothers me for some reason.

#TeamAgnostic

Durden77

Correct. If Snake was the reason Brawl got a T and he was removed from Smash 4's base game granting it an E10+, they'd likely have to pass it by ESRB if he were DLC.

That's a lot of ifs for a big hypothetical.

I'vr never understood this. What did Snake do to bump Brawl up to a T rating at all? Just....being Snake?

Brawl's overall tone is what got it rated T. Things like blood on Master Hand and shit.

SaikyoBro

Can anyone answer definitively if the list of supposed DLC characters came from the same person who leaked these images or not? No one seems to actually know.

Also, I feel like we're all overlooking a rather obvious hurdle to it being fake: other than maybe Bowser Jr., no one can source the renders for any of the unrevealed characters. Either our leaker is an incredibly good 3D modeler, or...

That's what has me not counting this leak out yet. He didn't do a single good looking fake render, he did 12, the only one of which that looks questionable to me being G&W. Between that and Brinstar it's hard to throw it all away over the UI inconsistencies.

It's in the same position in the video...sitting still. Both seem to be stagnant photos.

But OK, fine. I compared the two selections for stages too and it's off there too.

LaZyB7V.jpg

Really similar, but slightly off.

Keep in mind the game's UI has probably changed quite a bit since E3, that's usually one of the last things to get finalized in a game.

batfax

I have been waiting on playing Earthbound due to no Mother 1. If I just YouTube it, will the experience be good enough? Or is the game really worth experiencing?

I'd say give it a try first with that "Easy Ring" patch. If it's still too tough to stomach, I guess you could do that or just read up on the game and skip to EarthBound, then Mother 3.

Crocodile

The Jigglypuff and Dr. Mario renders have already been sourced earlier in the thread (or if you want to give the "leak" the most benefit of the doubt possible, their inspirations).

That's what has me not counting this leak out yet. He didn't do a single good looking fake render, he did 12, the only one of which that looks questionable to me being G&W. Between that and Brinstar it's hard to throw it all away over the UI inconsistencies.

Yep. For exactly these reasons, I'm very hesitantly and begrudgingly on #TeamReal. :/

The Jigglypuff and Dr. Mario renders have already been sourced earlier in the thread (or if you want to give the "leak" the most benefit of the doubt possible, their inspirations).

Sources and inspirations are different, though.

Nah, he was just sent them by someone else. No idea where they originated.

Anyway it looks like people have pretty confidently debunked them now. I wouldn't mind them being real though, since that duckhunt dog render looks nice. I'd find it pretty funny if they did turn out to be real.

If DHD is in the game, I want him looking like that. The Mii Fighter menu pic looks really good, too.

Also, I'm sorry for grilling you like that. When I posted that, I thought you were the leaker. With all the confusion, I didn't realize it originated from 4chan or wherever and that you were just the messenger. Sorry!

Fiktion

Banned
The one thing the leaker has not done is show us any in-game screenshots or models. All he's posted is a bunch of menus. I think that is worth noting.

FSLink

Banned
Dr. Mario is frowning in this "leak". I don't think I've ever seen official art of him looking angry, doesn't really fit his character.

emb

It's in the same position in the video...sitting still. Both seem to be stagnant photos.

But OK, fine. I compared the two selections for stages too and it's off there too.

LaZyB7V.jpg

Really similar, but slightly off.
That fact that it isn't using exact copies of elements from the old build isn't necessarily a strike against it. It's way easier to go for the known details than it is to alter them a little. The real game will probably have some minute interface differences too.

Hatchtag

Banned

That's just their inspirations, the Dr. Mario render is in a different pose, and Jigglypuff is just in the same pose, which isn't all that odd, considering Greninja shares his pose with his official artwork.

Isn't the fact that the icons are slightly inconsistent a better proof of this being real? What kinda guy also thinks to create a completely new and real looking icon taking into account the angle and the distortion and all that? Sounds a bit too OCD, unless the supposed faker has OCD.

Revven

Why would you ever cut Lucas and Wolf then bring in Dr. Mario? Dark Pit and Lucina at least make sense because of their strong ties to the base character they would be cloned from (Marth and Pit) and the fact that they're pretty popular. Who was championing Dr. Mario as anything more than an alt? Also Ice Climbers gone? That would be a huge mistake.

The Duck Hunt Dog and Shulk renders are really fucking good though.

I think the theory is (I stress the word theory) that in the event Lucas/Wolf are cut, it's not because Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina were prioritized over them. It's because those three characters would already, essentially, have their model created and based off of existing character's skeletons. The theory is that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were originally alt costumes and then promoted to actual characters (much like Lucina) because of how much less work would be involved to make them work vs. having to recreate Lucas and Wolf (as it was, Sakurai already admitted a year or two ago that creating veteran characters is not simply porting the character over -- it's equivalent to making a new character, or at least the same amount of work).

The truth of the matter is, none of the vets are just "ported" over. Yes, all their attacks and everything exist already so the conceptual phase is completely cut out for veterans but animating, programming, and modeling are still very much things the development team have to do. I really doubt they're reusing the exact same files as Brawl for characters (as in the .pacs and everything else). They might have started from Brawl's foundation (the engine) but reusing character files sounds like a generally bad idea if you want to go back and change the characters in any way. Especially because Brawl's character coding is so rooted in a bunch of ASM, routines, reference points, and goes through all these other files in the game.

In fact, there's reason to believe that because Brawl doesn't share the same file types as Melee's character files if I recall. So, even with Brawl for Melee vets they redid them completely from scratch (in a sense). This is even more evident because Melee's animation files are .dae and not what Brawl uses (which are .cr0? I think?)

Anyway, the point is... while it would be logical to make the characters future-proof for changing and easy-to-port to a future game it doesn't work that way.

Kouichi

That's just their inspirations, the Dr. Mario render is in a different pose, and Jigglypuff is just in the same pose, which isn't all that odd, considering Greninja shares his pose with his official artwork.

Palutena and Lucina also share the same pose as their official art.

Gartooth

#TeamFake

I will have enough salt to fill the earth's oceans if we get 7 Mario characters and none of them are Toad. Plus a few of the veteran character renders look off and I'm highly skeptical over the lack of a Rhythm Heaven character. Duck Hunt Dog looks aces though.

If this has any sort of chance of being real, I wonder if the DLC characters were known because they would be included in the Wii U version?

Sakurai had made connectivity a point a few times now, so I think another great incentive to buy both versions would be if you buy the Wii U version, you get those characters as free DLC in the 3DS version. And it would continue to give the Wii U version more hype until launch.

I always thought this idea was fairly valid and stuff,

Regardless of whether this is fake or real, I think that there's a strong chance that something like this will happen so that the Wii U version still has some hype going into it.

Neiteio

The one thing the leaker has not done is show us any in-game screenshots or models. All he's posted is a bunch of menus. I think that is worth noting.
It would indeed be nice if he uploaded a pause shot of Bowser Jr., Shulk, Duck Hunt and Dark Pit standing side-by-side.

In the meantime, here's my stance:

It could be fake. Crazy people exist who'd go to such extremes.

But it could also be real. The workload involved here in insane. The quality is top-notch. The UI inconsistencies are easily explained. This all feels very much like cases in the past (Brawl, X/Y, etc) where the leak was real but people tried to find proof it wasn't, in large part because they didn't like what they were seeing (I.E. people hating ROB in Brawl, people hating Greninja's tongue-scarf in X/Y, etc).

I say, give it some serious consideration.

SmithnCo

Isn't the fact that the icons are slightly inconsistent a better proof of this being real? What kinda guy also thinks to create a completely new and real looking icon taking into account the angle and the distortion and all that? Sounds a bit too OCD, unless the supposed faker has OCD.

Which are inconsistent?

Caladrius

This is what keeps me from believing it. If they were able to take this many pictures they probably would have been able to show in-match photographs.

Fireblend

Banned
Seriously though, I don't know what to think. I'd be fully on board if Lucas was on that roster, but without him... it's too painful to think clearly. Those are pretty good, consistent renders. The level selection matches up with what's been announced... but Lucas... my sweet Lucas ;_;

I'll gladly pay for him if he's a DLC character. Please, please be a DLC character ;_;

MrBadger

If DHD is in the game, I want him looking like that. The Mii Fighter menu pic looks really good, too.

Also, I'm sorry for grilling you like that. When I posted that, I thought you were the leaker. With all the confusion, I didn't realize it originated from 4chan or wherever and that you were just the messenger. Sorry!

No need to apologise, if I didn't expect that kinda reaction I wouldn't have posted them. I just thought I'd save everyone the trouble of piecing together Duck Hunt dog renders.

Top Bottom