• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

So I'm sure this has been covered many times already but after beating the game once, will my NG+ option for Hard disappear if I decide to start fresh on a higher difficulty? Not really sure if there's much of a point of playing NG+ since having so much stuff would make it considerably easier but I guess it would be good for trophies.

After finishing Left Behind, my appreciation for this game has grown even stronger. Such an incredible addition to the main game.

So I'm sure this has been covered many times already but after beating the game once, will my NG+ option for Hard disappear if I decide to start fresh on a higher difficulty? Not really sure if there's much of a point of playing NG+ since having so much stuff would make it considerably easier but I guess it would be good for trophies.

After finishing Left Behind, my appreciation for this game has grown even stronger. Such an incredible addition to the main game.

It won't disappear but you will have to start a higher difficulty as you would if you started it fresh. Say you beat Normal you have access to Normal + but if you decide to go to Hard there is only an option for Hard until you beat it. It will become Hard +

The sniper section in grounded mode is one of the most intense segments I've ever played. Getting to the top floor and stabbing that piece of shit was SO satisfying.

If you can believe it
I downed the first two guys at the beginning and ran all the way down to the wood fence. Hopped over, they shot at me, hit me once. and then I ran to the back of the middle house. Straight up the stairs and stabbed the guy.
It was my 20th try. I was like F^*& this Sh*$ !....and got lucky.

Edit: I have beaten Grounded mode. Not looking forward to NG+ because i know it will be just as hard and stressful. Especially at the segments that it makes you fight enemies!

taizuke

So with scare resources, what are the best weapons to upgrade?

Just the important stuff basically. For example If a weapon already carries plenty of ammo then forget about clip capacity. Fire rate is important as well as recoil, spread, range, armor piercing and power.

Reload speed is good but i don't tend to fully upgrade it unless it's a weapon that carries few ammo. Scope is also good but the first tier is enough.

So, just stick things you really need for each weapon and forget about the rest.

Wow I can't even get passed the first infected on grounded because I have no idea what button to press.
Edit: oh square

I had the same issue, haha. Took me a while.. felt stupid.
Kind of weird because later on during certain events the game gives me the Square button prompt.

Liamc723

Edit: I have beaten Grounded mode. Not looking forward to NG+ because i know it will be just as hard and stressful. Especially at the segments that it makes you fight enemies!

I found my Grounded+ playthrough a hell of a lot easier than my original Grounded playthrough, you get used to the difficulty and it doesn't seem so bad.

So I'm playing through this for the first time and it's been a great experience. I dig the atmosphere and characters, but holy hell is it frustrating trying to navigate around NPCs that are with you.

Ellie is the usual offender but inside the High School with Ellie AND Bill was just a fucking mess. I try to hide in cover and Bill jumps into the same spot pushing me off the cover. It didn't seem to ever get me caught by any infected (humans are a different story) but it was jarring and annoying when I'm trying to concentrate on making my move. And when the shit hits the fan and I need to make a break for it Bill and Ellie just crowd doorways and trap me in. I understand they made the decision to make it so friendly NPCs can't be detected, the AI is so awful you'd be restarting every two seconds. But if they were willing to make that trade off I wish they would've allowed us to clip through NPCs as well. They're actively fucking me over by blocking my path or my view so I'm either trapped or have to move around them enough to see and then get caught.

Also it was a bummer when I found out there's not much incentive to be stealthy. I put in the time and care sneak around enemies only to find out in many cases I can't advance until I clear everyone out. How dumb is that? I'll reference the high school again - As soon as you reach campus you have to navigate through a handful of Runners. I got through only killing two of them but then I got blindsided by a group of them that weren't showing up in my hearing. So I restarted the encounter and this time looked over at the area they attacked from previously and sure enough I see a group of them spawn out of thin air and come flying at me and alerting the others. Why? It completely kills my motivation to use stealth and just turns it into a clunky shooter.

Same thing happens while you're inside the high school. I sneak through all of the infected, only killing two or three, and then I get to a set of doors that can't be opened until I kill everyone. Great, glad I went through all that work avoiding getting detected. So then I had to go back guns a-blazin' since there were several Clickers left and I had no shivs.

Not sure why I thought I could get through the majority of this game with keeping casualties to a minimum but it's a little disappointing.

Kuro

So I'm playing through this for the first time and it's been a great experience. I dig the atmosphere and characters, but holy hell is it frustrating trying to navigate around NPCs that are with you.

Ellie is the usual offender but inside the High School with Ellie AND Bill was just a fucking mess. I try to hide in cover and Bill jumps into the same spot pushing me off the cover. It didn't seem to ever get me caught by any infected (humans are a different story) but it was jarring and annoying when I'm trying to concentrate on making my move. And when the shit hits the fan and I need to make a break for it Bill and Ellie just crowd doorways and trap me in. I understand they made the decision to make it so friendly NPCs can't be detected, the AI is so awful you'd be restarting every two seconds. But if they were willing to make that trade off I wish they would've allowed us to clip through NPCs as well. They're actively fucking me over by blocking my path or my view so I'm either trapped or have to move around them enough to see and then get caught.

Also it was a bummer when I found out there's not much incentive to be stealthy. I put in the time and care sneak around enemies only to find out in many cases I can't advance until I clear everyone out. How dumb is that? I'll reference the high school again - As soon as you reach campus you have to navigate through a handful of Runners. I got through only killing two of them but then I got blindsided by a group of them that weren't showing up in my hearing. So I restarted the encounter and this time looked over at the area they attacked from previously and sure enough I see a group of them spawn out of thin air and come flying at me and alerting the others. Why? It completely kills my motivation to use stealth and just turns it into a clunky shooter.

Same thing happens while you're inside the high school. I sneak through all of the infected, only killing two or three, and then I get to a set of doors that can't be opened until I kill everyone. Great, glad I went through all that work avoiding getting detected. So then I had to go back guns a-blazin' since there were several Clickers left and I had no shivs.

Not sure why I thought I could get through the majority of this game with keeping casualties to a minimum but it's a little disappointing.

I've noticed the NPCs' movement is a lot glitchier in the PS4 version. I didn't have as many issues on PS3.

I've noticed the NPCs' movement is a lot glitchier in the PS4 version. I didn't have as many issues on PS3.

Grounded mode makes the game glitch really bad. The enemies rush and get stuck on objects. Once they are stuck, you cannot stealth and end up getting killed most of the time. Not to mention walls and cover disappearing and reappearing.

Superflat

Grounded mode makes the game glitch really bad. The enemies rush and get stuck on objects. Once they are stuck, you cannot stealth and end up getting killed most of the time. Not to mention walls and cover disappearing and reappearing.

Yikes, glad I didn't run into any those in my Grounded run. That sounds crazy.

Going from the wide range of weird stuff people experience, I wouldn't be surprised if the weird stuff were the same across PS3 and PS4 versions, judging by how different everyone's experiences are with glitches.

Is it just on grounded? I get quite a few glitches and the scenery clipping out, especially in the later acts.

Garibaldi

Is it just me or is the last portion of Left Behind on Grounded the hardest part of the whole game? I have an arrow and three bullets left, and I can't even make it past the first wave of enemies consistently, much less the second.

That bit is pretty infuriating on grounded. I'm not sure how you will fair without extra arrows to silently thin the initial group. Final encounter spoilers: I'd recommend
heading right first. Hopefully you can ice the first guy and the two coming up the store stairs before using your arrow to slow the guy smashing at the paddock. Then leg it the best you can and batman those fuckers until the end

Hubb

Is it just on grounded? I get quite a few glitches and the scenery clipping out, especially in the later acts.

No I don't believe it is just on Grounded, but it does get very annoying on Grounded. If I even think something like that happened (or a certain section didn't reset after a death) I immediately restart the encounter, and everything seems to be ok.

viveks86

If you can believe it
I downed the first two guys at the beginning and ran all the way down to the wood fence. Hopped over, they shot at me, hit me once. and then I ran to the back of the middle house. Straight up the stairs and stabbed the guy.
It was my 20th try. I was like F^*& this Sh*$ !....and got lucky.

Lol. Yeah. Sometimes throwing caution to the wind and running like a mad man actually works.

At least until they block your way and force you to clear the area. Then you turn around and regret the shitstorm you just stirred.

Tahnit

Banned
So I just started playing this. I got it with my PS4 a week ago. Put about a few hours into it.

Is it bad that I cant tell if i like this game yet or not? I want to keep playing but im not sure i "like" it. Its very odd, its like nothing I have ever played before. But yet I keep hearing people praise it immensely. Should I keep going?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So I just started playing this. I got it with my PS4 a week ago. Put about a few hours into it.

Is it bad that I cant tell if i like this game yet or not? I want to keep playing but im not sure i "like" it. Its very odd, its like nothing I have ever played before. But yet I keep hearing people praise it immensely. Should I keep going?

Push past Boston. The beginning can be a bit of a slog but it really picks up after that.

Superflat

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is yeeeeeessssss.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Push past Boston. The beginning can be a bit of a slog but it really picks up after that.

Every time I recommend this game to friends they always stop somewhere in Boston, usually right after
the subway station with all the clickers
. It never fails.

How feasible is it to fully upgrade Joel and all the weapons across a Survivor NG and Grounded NG+? ("Everything we've been through" and "For emergencies only" trophies)

From what I've read, you can use chapter selects on Grounded difficulty to make your NG+ playthrough count for both Grounded trophies and all lower level NG+ trophies. Which would leave only these two trophies for 100% of the Remastered Trophies (on Week 6 of the second MP campaign).

Obviously resources are scarce on Survivor but I was fairly thorough (all shiv doors, etc.). I've never played Grounded before, so any input would be appreciated.

Picobrain

Banned
I have a question. I remember when they first revealed TLOU remastered they showed the scene with giraffes and everybody freaked out how they showed major spoilers from the game. Well after finishing the game twice this week I still don't understand why everybody made such a big deal about this scene. There were no spoilers.

I have a question. I remember when they first revealed TLOU remastered they showed the scene with giraffes and everybody freaked out how they showed major spoilers from the game. Well after finishing the game twice this week I still don't understand why everybody made such a big deal about this scene. There were no spoilers.

I think it due to them spoiling a "special moment", rather than a plot or character spoiler. People said that players should experience that scene themselves when they play it, rather than see it first in a trailer.

Ricky_R

I find it curious how a lot of people can't seem to enjoy the slow beginning of TLOU to the point where they even lose interest in the game, and I absolutely love it. I just love those slow paced moments that slowly build the story and atmosphere. Those are my favorite parts to be honest.

Btw, I started playing Left behind yesterday and I have to say that it's brilliant so far. I think it does a much better job at creating tension and suspense.

lantus

How feasible is it to fully upgrade Joel and all the weapons across a Survivor NG and Grounded NG+? ("Everything we've been through" and "For emergencies only" trophies)

From what I've read, you can use chapter selects on Grounded difficulty to make your NG+ playthrough count for both Grounded trophies and all lower level NG+ trophies. Which would leave only these two trophies for 100% of the Remastered Trophies (on Week 6 of the second MP campaign).

Obviously resources are scarce on Survivor but I was fairly thorough (all shiv doors, etc.). I've never played Grounded before, so any input would be appreciated.
I just completed my survivor ng+ yesterday and was able to upgrade all weapons and supplements. I missed a shiv door but everything else is perfectly doable.

psychotron

When the game first came out, we had no idea we'd actually see giraffes. Up until that point, the game has been a depressing bloodbath. That scene came out of nowhere and was really touching. It was a reminder for Joel that Ellie is still just a little girl, regardless of how awesome she's been at combat. That's why he tells her they don't need to go through with it, because he wants to be a father figure to her. At least that's what I took from it.

x-Lundz-x

So I only have grounded mode to go to 100% this game, but that will require a third playthrough and I already have the Plat... Decisions.

Anyone else come across having a shiv and the door says "need full shiv". Had this happen on Grounded mode. Shiv's are like gold! I made a new shiv and it let me open it. It never counted my one shiv I had in inventory.

Deku Tree

Just the important stuff basically. For example If a weapon already carries plenty of ammo then forget about clip capacity. Fire rate is important as well as recoil, spread, range, armor piercing and power.

Reload speed is good but i don't tend to fully upgrade it unless it's a weapon that carries few ammo. Scope is also good but the first tier is enough.

So, just stick things you really need for each weapon and forget about the rest.

Thanks!

bombshell

Anyone else come across having a shiv and the door says "need full shiv". Had this happen on Grounded mode. Shiv's are like gold! I made a new shiv and it let me open it. It never counted my one shiv I had in inventory.

Shivs have 3 uses (durability) when upgraded, but you can't actually see on grounded how many there's left on the shivs. Are you sure the one shiv you had was full?

bombshell

Eh, what glitch?

Whenever you pick up an upgraded melee weapon from the ground you will get 1 full blade and 1 full binding crafting material.

So if you have an upgraded melee weapon on you and come across a melee weapon on the ground, swap them and swap back to the upgraded melee weapon and craft a shiv. Rinse repeat.

Shivs have 3 uses (durability) when upgraded, but you can't actually see on grounded how many there's left on the shivs. Are you sure the one shiv you had was full?

No, it never dawned on me because I don't use shivs except on doors. I thought the shiv was gone after use on a shiv door.

Are you avoiding the ever useful shiv glitch in your grounded playthrough?

I don't like cheating on these kinds of games. I don't get the full accomplished feeling if I use glitches/cheats.

I just beat the hydroelectric dam section on grounded. I used more ammo at that point than I have the entire game up to this point (which was basically only for the bloater and maybe one or two other shots).

bombshell

No, it never dawned on me because I don't use shivs except on doors. I thought the shiv was gone after use on a shiv door.

Shiv doors take away 1 full shiv, so it sounds like a bug, because only shiv defense when grabbed by a clicker or shiv offense when you grab an enemy costs durability.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I jumped straight into Grounded after having completed TLOU on PS3 last year. I was looking forward to the challenge, but it's got to the point where it's just a chore and I'm struggling to enjoy the game. Might just give up and lower the difficulty, I just want to enjoy the story again.

Top Bottom