• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 also launching on PS4, releasing 2015 ["waifu"/"husbando" crap = ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is waifu banned? Is it just this thread?

Yes just this thread. I doubt mods care about the existence of waifu talk, they just don't want it dominating the discussion in a reveal thread.

Where things will fall for the actual OT remains to be seen, but I doubt it would be banned there.

Mononoke

Banned
So I wonder if the Shadow World is going to merge with the real world in this game. Or if that was just purely for visuals. Kind of strange to see the blue flame emerge while he's out in public (I'm thinking time stopping type situation). If not, I'll be curious to see where they go into for this game for the shadow world.

Crayons

Banned
Rise is a waifu so holy she is worth being banned for

RISE BEST WAIFU AND CHIE/YUKIKO FANS DONT HAVE THE BALLS TO STAND UP FOR THEIR WAIFUS

Mozendo

Elkfk7L.png
It's not a butterfly, it's a reflection of the light just like the lower right part of the image.
Also blue butterflies not red.

Ah ok, let's go through the trailer:

00:00 - 00:07: Logo splashes, we're reminded the old Atlus logo is better.

00:07 - 00:10: We see a crowded train car full of people with sad/bored expressions. We see someone reading a book (what's that red light on his arm?). It's not a phone, though there is an advertisement for a tablet(?) right in the center of the screen.

Elkfk7L.png

00:10 - 00:13: We see news snippets that have already been translated.

DC7RqIN.png

Combined with the facial expressions earlier, we are definitely getting a clear view of the atmosphere and it's only 13 seconds in.

00:13 - 00:14: Ho ho ho Who's this? Our first glimpse of the main protagonist? Seems he was reading the headlines earlier, and he looks pretty disappointed at what he read as he turns his head downwards.

HWZJU8F.png

00:14 - 00:17: We see some strange flashes of light. Possible Velvet Room summoning ala Yu from Persona 4? Or just an effect for the trailer?

pNKztxj.png

00:17 - 00:20: Katsura Hashino returns as the director amidst an ominous glass-smashing sound. What's interesting is that this and the train are the only sounds shown so far. The shackle shown (which by the way, is identical to the one shown in the announcement trailer) is broken, probably just reinforcing the game's overall theme. Let's move on.

CV6SN3i.png

00:20 - 00:26: There's a muted conversation between two students. I personally believe they attend the same school as the protagonist, since the next scene we're shown him turning his head to look at something, probably the school approaching. The girls also seems to be talking about - in stark contrast to everyone else we've seen so far - something happy. There's also a phone present, but I can't decide if that's the topic of the conversation or not. They're not looking at it, but it seems deliberately in plain view of us. I dunno, that's up to yourselves to decide.

OcerNdK.jpg

00:26 - 00:29: Soejima's credit splash. Once again, identical - yet broken shackles.They're all like this, so I'm just going to stop mentioning them.

00:29 - 00:36: The train continues on, we see a medium shot of our protagonist. He wears his uniform pretty formally, but the red buttons stand out to me. I like it. Someone is browsing the phone right next to him. Next (at 00:33) we see a close up or our man looking pretty surprised at something. His experience in the Velvet Room? How large the school is? Our own looks of bliss? In any case he quickly returns to his normal expression. There's another flash of light here.

DshmlFR.png

00:39 - 00:46: Some crowd scenes. We see a bustling city (I recognise this place. Was this one of the places that showed on the midnight channel teasers back before the game was announced?) The protagonist seems to be following some directions on his phone, and looks up at something. The camera pans upward and at 00:46, the new logo fades in accompanied by a swooping sound.

00:46 - 00:55: The scene fades to red and the logo gains a black shadow that moves from the top left, to bottom right. No idea what this could mean, possibly just a style thing.

1409558976-1.gif

00:55 - 00:59: Around a 270° pan around the protagonist who seems utterly shocked that everyone seems to have just...stopped. There's at least 2 people on a phone here (and one goofy looking guy in a trench coat.) The protagonist actually ends up staring directly at us, yet again. All the while, there's these strange blue and red lights that seem to be coming up above the protagonist. Very ominous, especially with the high pitched note playing.

00:59 - 01:07: The part where everyone loses their shit and shouts "Yus! PS4!" Near the end of this, we hear another sound (presumably) of something in the distance.

2eksfx.gif

01:07 - 01:09: What's weird about this shot is that it looks like it's been done through a fish-eye lens. Protagonist POV? Most likely. The only thing moving is the big blue flame in the distance (which, in hindsight, is probably where the blue light from the 270° pan is coming from). If previous Persona games have taught me anything, it's that Personas are always summoned through a blue flame. This is not a Shadow. This is a Persona. But whose?

82AeNKV.png

01:09 - End: We see an extreme close-up of the protagonist who is obviously looking in the direction of the flame. He has marvellous eyes. We see something vaguely humanoid reflected in his glasses. Again, probably the Persona from earlier. It seems to have wings, but I'll leave the analysis to better people. The website is shown as the screen fades to red, then black.

aoqask.gif

And we are hyped.
The hero we deserve.

Mortemis

Banned
There's some good posts dissecting the trailer, I appreciate them.

Why is waifu banned? Is it just this thread?

Wow I feel blind, didn't even see that. I doubt most people are serious with waifu crap and are joking, but jokes shouldn't take over a whole damn thread so I'm happy.

Actually, if you really have time to kill and want to get into this awesome franchise, I'd even say start with SMT Nocturne. Simply because it's awesome. Then 3 & 4, unless you have even more time to spare for 1&2, which are by no means bad games, just kind of pale out compared to 3 & 4.

Lol, if someone is new to SMT its good to ease them into the series instead of throwing them into the pit. Nocturne is my favorite, but I was able to appreciate it more I think since I was more familiar to SMT.

Start out with Persona 4 to whoever wants to jump in, much more welcoming.

Mononoke

Banned
Are uniforms marked by the year they attend? Just curious.

TBH I don't know. I just saw people speculating since yesterday that it was a school uniform, and the two arrows = the year he is in. Persona 4 also had markers on their jackets to state what year they were in.

Where things will fall for the actual OT remains to be seen, but I doubt it would be banned there.

I can only pray it is banned there as well.

So I wonder if the Shadow World is going to merge with the real world in this game. Or if that was just purely for visuals. Kind of strange to see the blue flame emerge while he's out in public (I'm thinking time stopping type situation). If not, I'll be curious to see where they go into for this game for the shadow world.

hell who knows, I doubt anyone guessed it would be going inside a tv for Persona 4.

Snakeyes

That would be neat since it would pretty much guarantee better dungeon designs.

Koriandrr

Lol, if someone is new to SMT its good to ease them into the series instead of throwing them into the pit. Nocturne is my favorite, but I was able to appreciate it more I think since I was more familiar to SMT.

Start out with Persona 4 to whoever wants to jump in, much more welcoming.

Well depends if he/she's familiar with other JRPGs in general. My first SMT title was Nocturne and I loved it, but at this point I was already deep into FF games and korean mmos so it wasn't something entirely new. All depends on the person. I'm just putting it out there :)

Also, here's a dedication to my waif.....HUSBANDO:
1285395039_8926_full.jpeg

<3

LowParry

TBH I don't know. I just saw people speculating since yesterday that it was a school uniform, and the two arrows = the year he is in. Persona 4 also had markers on their jackets to state what year they were in.

Hmm. The two female students didn't look to have those marks. Ah well. Hopefully we get some more info at TGS.

I haven't played any Persona games yet (pls don't hit me), but I caught some talk of how strange a 5-member cast would be considering party size is 4 and thus only one wouldn't be picked...

... isn't a 5-person party possible? From what little I know, this game is heavy on social interaction - wouldn't it be better to have the everyone with you the entire time? Or is there a gameplay mechanic that can't be feasibly changed and limits party size to 4?

randomkid

Yes just this thread. I doubt mods care about the existence of waifu talk, they just don't want it dominating the discussion in a reveal thread.

how do u know it's just this thread tho, isn't that what the community quarantine is designed for?? waifu kids aren't known for displaying even a modicum of restraint when it comes to jokez after all!!

for real though, no one should get their jimmies rustled, some of us just enjoy giving Persona-GAF shit, it's all in good fun right? ppl just get tired of the same old same old.

Mononoke

Banned
I think my biggest question comes with, will they have a charcter that can top Teddy's antics. :D

Probably not? There wasn't anyone in Persona 3 that was like Teddy. I really feel like, Persona 4 went for the more vibrant/colorful tone. And I think P5 will go back to a more dark/moody tone (so more like P3). This isn't to say, there can't be humor. There is always humor in these games. But I don't think we'll get anyone as lively as Teddy this time around.

That's based on nothing but 100% speculation.

Are the Persona 4 Arena games going to be considered canon with the series? Been wondering since I finished Arena if any of what happened in that game was going to carry over to Persona 5....of course I'm not sure what has changed, or been added since the existence of Ultimax. I hear there's a new story mode, but I know if it's completely different, or just adds some more narrative. The original Arena game left sooo much open though, that I kept secretly hoping that the next mainline Persona game would address some of it, but I'm not so sure anymore.

galvenize

Probably not? There wasn't anyone in Persona 3 that was like Teddy. I really feel like, Persona 4 went for the more vibrant/colorful tone. And I think P5 will go back to a more dark/moody tone (so more like P3). This isn't to say, there can't be humor. There is always humor in these games. But I don't think we'll get anyone as lively as Teddy this time around.

That's based on nothing but 100% speculation.

I would absolutely love a more "serious" Persona. I could do without a Teddy.

-Horizon-

Are the Persona 4 Arena games going to be considered canon with the series? Been wondering since I finished Arena if any of what happened in that game was going to carry over to Persona 5....of course I'm not sure what has changed, or been added since the existence of Ultimax. I hear there's a new story mode, but I know if it's completely different, or just adds some more narrative. The original Arena game left sooo much open though, that I kept secretly hoping that the next mainline Persona game would address some of it, but I'm not so sure anymore.
I've heard that they are considered canon.

Afrocious

I think Ultimax finished everything related to Arena.

I'm hoping Arena is nonexistent in P5.

PK Gaming

Yu didn't have "swag" in vanilla P4. That was all the creation of spinoff media and fanbase. Yu is one of the most neutral looking protagonists I can imagine. Hell, if we're saying the new guy looks like a Death Note character, Yu is Light Yagami with grey hair.

To be fair, Soejima intentionally tried to make him look cool and "wild" in an attempt to differentiate him from the P3 protagonist. The way he dresses himself is fairly stylish and his expression was always set in a half-glare. I abhor the term swag, but he's definitely got this "bad boy" thing going on.

Something tells me it's going to have to get banned there too, because the non-stop waifu discussion was painful. On that note, most of the culprits weren't PersonaGAF, but we still took the blame...

Zareka

He's a guy idk how this is even a debate anyone familiar with anime knows this. Lol at facial hair.. Reminds me a big of Gintoza from psycho pass minus the wavy hair

psycho_pass-01-ginoza-police-glasses-contempt-looking_down.jpg

I literally just finished this anime about 10 minutes ago and yeah, P5MC reminded me of him too.

And yeah, I hate what the fanbase has done to the word "swag". Not once when playing P4 did I get the idea that I was the "swagtagonist" and only after I finished the game and jumped on to forums etc. did I start seeing people say he was "SO FULL OF SWAG OMG XDDDDDD".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom